Comments By tripletdad

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/stevens5.jpg avatar
  • tripletdad
  • Comments:

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Millis Transfer training diary

Week 2, day 4

I forgot to update my diary yesterday. Another day of range driving. We were tested on the backing maneuvers, and I passed them all. Today was our first day out on the road. We left Trenton at 6am. At 6:01, we were stopped and waiting for a train, which is really common with the Trenton terminal... Anyway, a little later, we were on our way. Another student drove first, 91 miles of two lane routes. Through some small villages and towns, up to Celina, Ohio. We stopped at a mom and pop truck stop, and switched drivers. I was #2 driver. The first few minutes, I was nervous as could be. 40mph felt like 110mph. The truck seemed like it was WIDER than the lanes I was in, and forget keeping the trailer in the right lane. After a few minutes, my nerves calmed down some, and I realized that the trailer does stay where its supposed to, and I was taking curves and stuff just like I was taught. Left and right turns take up a LOT more space than I was expecting, but as Bill pointed out, every other semi truck turning at the same place takes just as much space to make a turn. Overall, I did well, and finished my 91 miles ready to keep going. Drivers 3 and 4 did the same up and back route that we did, with the exception of stopping for lunch at a TA at I-70 and SR 127 with driver #3 where we experienced the "joys" of parking a semi. It was rough for the student driving at that time, but he got backed into a parking spot eventually and we went and got lunch.

Tomorrow is gonna be another driving day. Bill won't tell us where, so we are expecting it'll be less enjoyment, more figuring out tight spaces, so we are collectively thinking Downtown Cincinnati or downtown Dayton. I guess we will find out tomorrow. For now, I'm back in my hotel room, and getting a little hungry, so I'm thinking of ordering a pizza and staying in the rest of the night.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Looking To Get My CDL And Change Careers At 51.

Idk of its state specific or not, but at least in Ohio, 2 DUI convictions would be a lifetime ban from a cdl. Expungement may be an option as the guy above me said.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Millis Transfer training diary

Week 2, day 2–

Today we started at 6:00am again. I got to do my first pre-trip. I did pretty well. Forgot a few things like brake chambers on the trailer and didn’t mention 105psi for the tires, but overall I did pretty well. I’ll get plenty of practice. After that, we did more backing exercises. The blind side parallel park and the offset lane change. Everything just sort of came together today. Tomorrow will be a full day of all the maneuvers and then Thursday will be the first day out on the road. We got out of there today at 5:00. I came back to the hotel, got some dinner and I’m exhausted now at 9:30.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Millis Transfer training diary

Week 2, day 1–

Today was pretty intense. Alley dock and parallel parking all day long. By the end of the day, I was hot, tired, and ready to take a nap, but I was alley docking like a guy That’s been alley docking for a day. Same with the parallel parking. I will say this. Backing was my biggest fear with coming here. I’ve never been in a truck before last week, and I’ve not backed anything. Today, I’m setting up for my alley dock, and I’m straight line backing without a second thought. If anyone is nervous about it, just know it’s doable. You won’t be perfect, and I’m still learning how far 53’ is, but I’m getting it done. Just a couple more days of range tricks, and then we are road driving only the rest of class. Tomorrow morning is my turn to do the pre-trip on the t-2000, so I’m gonna study and then get to sleep. We had a test in Friday for the first week, all four of us passed.

Have a great night!

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Millis Transfer training diary

I fully expect this to be the toughest week. Long as I get the hang of it, I figure my trainer will get me plenty of practice to get better at it, right?

Bill is an excellent instructor and a great person. I didn't go to school in Trenton but chat with him when I get to the terminal and the opportunity arises. This next week is the tough one. I'm not trying to scare you, just want you to expect the stress, don't add to it yourself by expecting perfection. Welcome to Millis, may run into you sometime and I can congratulate you in person.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

To Roadmaster in Millington,TN,I go!!!!!!!!!

Congrats and good luck!

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

The TruckingTruth Meet Up Thread

I’m in Ohio. Although, how would I even know if someone is from here and anywhere near where I am?

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Millis Transfer training diary

Well, I got through the first week. I’m sitting at home now and figured I’d update. Friday was a terminal lot driving day. It went pretty well. Pre-trip, Straight line backing and the Millis 500, but this time with an extra 53’ of trailer attached. Aside from needing practice on figuring out distances, I did pretty well. When backing, I think I’m right to the rear barrel. GOAL, and nope. I’ve got 6 feet still. Get back in the truck and back up 2, maybe 3 feet and GOAL again and I’ve hit the barrel. So distance needs some work, but Bill says it comes with practice and we (well, most) are doing great. I back up the truck and I’m learning the small corrections and all so I’m confident I’ll have it down by the time I test out. Driving with the trailer was fun. Nerve wracking the first lap, but by the end of the day, check your mirrors constantly and it’s not difficult. In other news, we got our Qualcomm codes and did some more log book practice. Finished up Friday at 3:00 and I drove home to see my wife and kids for the weekend. Back at it for week 2 on Monday morning at 6am.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Millis Transfer training diary

Day 4–

Today we spent the entire day in the classroom. Pretrips, coupling and uncoupling, and backing basics. Then tomorrow, we will spend the day doing pretrip and straight line backing. I’m excited to see how I do on the first day of backing. I will say that the way Bill has explained it to us, it seems a lot more straightforward than the way I expected so I’m feeling good. Pretrip is a lot to memorize, but seems like it is pretty easy if you break it down into the different sections. Not to mention, there’s a whole dang semi right in front of you to jog your memory and remind you of the various parts.

Almost done with the first week. 👍

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Millis Transfer training diary

Day 3--

Today was the Millis 500. All day long, the four of us drove 3 bobtails around the terminal perimeter. The 2006 T2000 and the 2013 T700 are both manual transmission, which presented a whole new level of learning. It's NOT like driving a manual car, but within the first hour, we all had it down pretty well, but still probably enough rocking to make someone get motion sickness. The third truck is a 2016 T680 with automatic. That one was only driven about 3 or 4 laps by each of us, just so we could get the basics of what we will be driving when we get out.

Broke for lunch around 11:30 and went for some chicken, then came back in the afternoon and repeated the morning. The day went pretty quickly, and tomorrow, we will be back in at 7:30am for classroom day.

At 42 years old though, I can now say I've driven a semi truck. :)

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Millis Transfer training diary

Day 2-- Today was another 7:30 start. Went out to the yard and checked out one of the training trucks since none of us have ever been in one before. We spent the day learning some HOS stuff, practiced doing logs, and started on trip planning. I'm feeling good about my decision to choose Millis. Tomorrow will be the often written about Millis 500.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Haha. Millington, TN

So how was your first day? I just started today, too.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Millis Transfer training diary

With that epic thread title, I begin...

Today was day 1 of CDL school in Trenton. I guess we started out with five, but one didn't show up, so we've got 4 in the class. Day 1 was pretty simple, drug test first thing, and then paperwork. It seems like a pretty good company, and all four of us seem pretty excited about it. Went to Frisch's for lunch, and now I'm back at the hotel. Hotel is pretty decent, too. No roommate because of COVID. I'll post more tomorrow.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Update on new Millis Transfer job

I start tomorrow. Going to the hotel this afternoon.

I'm with millis too. Went through their school and did a diary here as well. I graduated the school in Richfield Wi in march of 2019 and been solo since May of 2019.

If you got any questions let me know.

Posted:  6 months, 3 weeks ago

Ok, it just became official. Off to class Monday.

Yes, sir. My recruiter checked with her director who said the shorter card would be fine.

dancing.gifdancing.gifdancing.gif awesome job with the permit. I take it that they're ok with the 2 month card? I love reading diaries and seeing how new drivers progress and overcome the challenges involved early on in this industry. I will definitely read it if you have time to post it.

Posted:  6 months, 3 weeks ago

Ok, it just became official. Off to class Monday.

I haven’t figured out how to do photos lol

Woohoo, CONGRATULATIONS 🎉🎊🎊. Yes please do a diary on you journey. We love amazing updates here...and hey photos don't hurt to add every once in a while haha.

Again Congratulations

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

Posted:  6 months, 3 weeks ago

Ok, it just became official. Off to class Monday.

So it just got real. I took my Cdl permit test today, as well as DOT physical. I’m starting on Monday! Not sure if people still do the diaries, but if so, I’ll definitely make one. Thanks for all of the help and advice through all of this.

Posted:  6 months, 3 weeks ago

Cpap compliance 30 or 90 days?

I’m totally fine with getting a two month card, I’m just not sure if they will accept a two month card. The email I have with offer says I need a 1 or 2 year card. I just emailed my recruiter. Guess I’ll see what she says.

Posted:  6 months, 3 weeks ago

Cpap compliance 30 or 90 days?

My problem is that I sometimes go to bed and play on my phone and then fall asleep. I’ll wake up around 3 or 4am and put it on, but by then it’s too late to get the 4 hours. I use a resmed airsense 10 with a nasal n20 mask. Now that it’s important to my future job, I’ve made sure to put the mask on as soon as I get into bed so that I stay compliant.

I just want to say that there a number of people on TT that use a CPAP, me included. I know when I first started using a CPAP It felt very un natural and invasive. Though, with support and encouragement, I got used to it and felt the benefits of using it. MY energy levels were greatly improved. I use it every night. I avg 6.5 hours per night now.

Posted:  6 months, 3 weeks ago

Cpap compliance 30 or 90 days?

I’m paying for it. They only do classes once a month, so I’d be pushing my start date back by a month, not a week.

Are you paying for this physical or is your employer? Typically you'll be given a new DOT physical on their dime with their doctor your first week there. I'd say just spend the money on it. If you're not given a new card by the company doc then just get a new one in 2 months after you have the compliance. It all comes down to are you willing to push your start date back atleast a week, depending on the dates you didnt use it, over $79.