Comments By tripletdad

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/stevens5.jpg avatar
  • tripletdad
  • Comments:

When you go out with your trainer (sleeping situation)

Even if the wheels stop and you sleep in the top bunk, the last trainee slept there and the one before... I don't get what the concern is.

PRIME: Great place, just as expected!

Prime was on my short list, but everything I've read says you're out a minimum of 4 weeks at a time. I don't mind 7-14 days, but more than that would be rough... seems like they have great training, which was one of the reasons I liked them.

Roehl Company Sponsored Training

Is carnation your recruiter there?

Ohio License transfer info.

Ah, well nevermind lol. I think I'm pretty good on the test. I've taken several practice tests and done the practice on here.

Ohio License transfer info.

Interesting. I'll be taking my permit test probably on wednesday. I'll try to remember to post in this thread and let you know for sure.

Cr england, am I missing anything?

so, I'm thinking I want to go with roehl, with celadon as my second choice and tmc being third, based on everything I've researched. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something though with companies like PAM and cr england. it looks like they have significantly lower pay per mile, and worse home time options. it makes me wonder why anyone would choose to work for them, but maybe I'm missing some great perk...

You guys own a car?

Thanks for the replies. I wouldn't be getting rid of it until I was secure in my job. Wasn't thinking about doing it now, just didn't know what the typical thoughts were for it. honestly, I'd planned to keep it til it died, and it's been 14 years so far, I've gotten kinda attached over that time lol.

Anyone Else on the 'Petite' Side?? :) oh, and Learning to Drive a Stick??

I'm a guy, and in the average size frame, so I can't add much here, but I've heard that it'll probably be easier for someone that's never driven a manual transmission than it is for someone that does it regularly. I think you'll be fine.

You guys own a car?

If your going to keep it your wife needs to drive it once a week. Sitting is about the worst thing you can do to a vehicle. Gas will eventually varnish and bugger up the fuel system, tires start to dry rot, moisture finds a way to build up inside causing mold and mildew, oh and rats/mice/squirrels. Some sort of rodent is going to get in there and start chewing wires.

yeah, I thought about that. my wife can't drive it for me though, so unfortunately it's not an option. would rats/mice/squirrels get into it even if I had it parked in the garage? it's a heated and attached garage. maybe in could dump sta-bil in the tank and just make sure I drive it when I co.e home. I will be doing 14 days out I believe.

You guys own a car?

Yeah, true. I could just park it in the garage. I don't figure I'd get more than $2000 for it, and that's just because it's in good condition with relatively low mileage for the age. insurance costs me $140 for six months on that one. I guess I was just worried about stuff breaking on it if it just sits for weeks or months at a time. might not be worth worrying about.

You guys own a car?

so I think I'm getting hired by roehl. she told me shes sending me am email to get my DOT physical paid by them, and my background is fine. do any of your guys still keep a car, or should I sell it? my wife will still have her honda odyssey, but I'm wondering if it's worth paying insurance on a car that I will be driving 2-3 times a month. the upside is that my car is paid for and not worth a whole lot (02 honda accord) but I just don't know what to do in that case.

Allowed Pets in Trucking

Lol, I feel ya. I think I'll end up adopting a dog for the truck. Probably a pug or something similar, and the doberman will stay home with my wife and kids while I'm gone.

Are there any recruiters in here?

I bet they are I got one she has her mommas attitude and my energy. I think if we had 3 at once I would at home and the wife would be working. Best of luck to you sir.

lol, we have five all together. a 4 year old, 2 year old and the triplets.

I gotta get my blood pressure down

Run. I run 3-15 miles pretty much daily and it has made a world of difference. that's one thing I'll miss once I start school.

Are there any recruiters in here?

Hay tripletdad do you have triplets? I used to deal with, verification, a lot in my old job most are very discrete. But talk to your prime rep if you are conserned. Best of luck

yes I do. they're a lot of fun and a lot of work lol.

Are there any recruiters in here?

I'm trying to see how employment verification is done with my current employer. I work at a car dealership, been here three years. they're known as a place that if they get wind someone is looking, they'll show you the door whether it's true or not. Prime talked to me today and they're doing employment verification, but this has been my only job in the last three years. he said he can wait until the end, but it needs to be done in order to hire me. I've never have employment verification done with a current employer, so I don't know what the standard procedure is. don't hey just call and ask of I work there and how long? or do they say I applied for a job with them and ask if I work there, dates, etc.

Who pays from day 1?

Thanks for the info.

Taking pills post-op

just thought of this, and searched for an answer but couldn't find a definite answer. I'm scheduled for a vasectomy soon. I'm told that I'll have a prescription for pain medivine after the surgery. I'm planning to start school in the next month, so I'm sure any medicine would still show up in my drug tests. are there any meds I should avoid or ask for a alternative, or will I be fine with whatever they give me as long as I have the prescription? I don't figure I'll be taking them for more than a few days.

Who pays from day 1?

im just trying to make sure I've got all my options known to me. I'm looking to start next month for training. I'll need to get my cdl. I don't have a preference at this time of van, reefer, flatbed or tanker, although it looks like I would be happy with any of the above except reefer for a career... looking for a company sponsored training that will pay me during training. I know most companies pay during the otr part, but I'm talking a out the 3-4 weeks of classroom, practice driving, etc too. I don't need to get a full paycheck, but I have to be able to eat and send money home during thst time to pay the bills. It looks like roehl, prime, and tmc ate the only ones? I've spoken with a recruiter at PAM, and they pay a little bit, but he's trying to get me to start training before end of year. I'm not wanting to miss Christmas or my daughters birthday in early january, which is why I'm wanting to get started mid January... I prefer regional or local, but I'll do otr for a year or two in order to pay my dues. I'm located in northeast ohio. am I missing any companies that should be on my short list?

Roehl Refrigerated

Nothing to add, but that they're on my short list, too.