Comments By Ken M. (TailGunner)

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/bigrig5.jpg avatar

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

Clean tarps?

I've hauled pretty much everything that needs to be tarped. Cleaning them isn't really necessary. You're not going to be putting them on any loads of fine linens or small children that shouldn't get dirty.

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

How EXACTLY do you pull up satelite views of destinations?

Here’s a strange one for you, Rainy: Looking at the street views of where I used to live in Norfolk, VA, the satellite image of the front of the house is current… It shows the addition the new owners put onto the house. The street view image of the back of the house is at least six years old… it shows my Jeep sitting in the driveway! We moved in 2013. Go figure.

The satellite views and the street views are captured and updated at different times, one by car and one by satellite.

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

Failed drug test, never done drugs.

From LiveScience.com: Poppy seeds naturally contain the compounds morphine and codeine, and so consumption of some products with poppy seeds can trigger false positives results for these drugs. In a 1987 study, five members of a lab baked cookies containing about 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) of a poppy-seed filling that they bought from the grocery store. Two hours after eating several cookies, all of the lab members tested positive for opiates. The concentration of the drug was greater than 300 ng/mL, which was the minimum cutoff used by the test.

In 1998, the Department of Health and Human Services changed the cutoff to 2,000 ng/mL in order to avoid false-positive results from eating poppy seeds, according to a 2008 review study. However, most laboratories continue to use lower cutoffs, the researchers of that study said.

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

Failed drug test, never done drugs.

Https://addictionresource.com/drug-testing/false-positive-drug-test/

DOT physical turns ugly

And, my blood pressure went down. Forgot to say that in previous post :)

DOT physical turns ugly

After my sleep study the sleep lab gave me a printout of the entire night's activity, showing everything all the sensors monitored. I'm sure it wasn't faked. I averaged 77 "events" per hour the first 4 hours. Then they woke me up and put me on a CPAP. After I got mine, it was a different world. I had no idea how exhausted I really was until I started sleeping with it. I was never in REM sleep, ever. Now, I feel like a different person entirely.

CB

I bought one today, haven’t heard a word on it. Lol

Try the "Volume" knob.

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

Question for you men.....

Write it! And of someone is offended, all the better!

CB

Rule #1 -- Don't call anybody "Good Buddy" unless you wanna start a fight.

Truck problems

Maybe it's brake fluid.

Sad!

I can’t get my pictures to come through!

Good I don't wanna be sad too

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

Home time, a necessary evil

I'd hate to read here:

I got a ticket today while fishing!

Sure burst my bubble lol license?? hmmmm

Did Andy Taylor and Opie, need a license at their favorite fishin hole?

Yes they did. There is the episode with Andy fishing and a Fish & Game officer hauling Andy & Helen to the courthouse for not having his fishing license with him.

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

Well it was that time. It had to be done.

Nice CornBinder.

Congrats MM!! It's nice to see the fruits of your labor.

Guess I still have some work to do...

0008574001553847112.jpg

Starting Orientation With Gypsum Express

Just go to flatbed immediately, you will be way, way happier. It's kind of a whole different world from reefer and dry van.

Hi, I am in CDL school currently and starting to zero in on companies to apply to. Can you explain why someone would be way, way happier with flatbed?

I don't wanna start any arguments, but in my opinion, there is a lot less waiting around with most flatbed loads. Also there is 99.9999% of the time no hand unloading, your freight goes on and off with a forklift or crane. Yes, there is securing and tarping, but you get good/fast at it after a while. You'll never have to re-stack cases of anything that has the wrong number of them on a pallet. There are no grocery warehouses. No lumpers. Most of the time, you'll be able to drive in wind that keeps van trailers parked. Flatbed generally pays more than vans.

There are drawbacks to flatbedding that you don't get with vans. Tarping and untarping in the rain/cold/wind. There will be times, as with anything, that you want to leave it all beside the road and go home. But those times are very few, all things considered.

Starting Orientation With Gypsum Express

Starting Orientation With Gypsum Express

Gypsum Express bought some of the real estate and hired employees from my old company when it went under a few years ago (Tandem Transport) They were based in Michigan City, Indiana, where the main terminal & service was. They also acquired a few of their smaller terminals. The freight manager, traffic manager, and several of the sales people, dispatchers, etc. still work out of Michigan City for Gyp Express now. I'm sure they also ended up with Tandem's customers also.

Upset Mother

I do not think anyone will be dropped off beside the road. But it may be a "motivational tool" of that "trainer".

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

This question may have no definitive answer

It has to be affordable cell phones. When I started driving flatbed in 1995, almost nobody had a cell phone on the road with them. I had one, but it cost so much to use just in my local area it was ridiculous, let alone "roaming". Couldn't afford it. Now you can talk all day if you want to. Anybody else remember the long-distance prepaid phone cards sold at all the truck stops? Then waiting to use a phone to call home in the long rows of pay phones?

Posted:  1 year, 5 months ago

Maverick Transportation

Check out this video a driver made https://youtu.be/OTBI29X0RTk

Posted:  1 year, 5 months ago

For the trainers: Did I Cross a Line?

Wow I guess I haven't been paying attention. Last I knew if you had to do shots you couldn't have a CDL.