Comments By Sunrise Driver

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/dusk.jpg avatar

Truck Stop Etiquette

Exactly. I also get ticked off when bobtails take our parking spaces.

Sunrise wrote:

3. Pick up your dog ****. I've stepped on a few of those landmines.

Especially in the Horse Shoe Pit Area! Petros (and other truck stops) are adding them for Professional Drivers to exercise, but I don't think they want them being used as a Pet Relief Zone.

Truck Stop Etiquette

1. Nose in parking. Never put yourself in a position where you have to back out of a tight spot. This is just flat out being lazy.

2. Don't make me have to bang on your door to get out of my legal parking space. Be considerate of others.

3. Pick up your dog ****. I've stepped on a few of those landmines.

Took my backing tests for the third time...

Congratulations!!

Hard work and determination pays off.

Reefer vs. Dry Van

Most companies pay detention pay after the second hour. Detention pay may not totally compensate for cpm but it's better than nothing.

I always call the shipper or receiver and ask if they have overnight parking. Case and point I was at HEB in Buda, TX and parked at receiver overnight and never had to worry about burning my clock up even though it took the lumpers 6 hours to unload me. If there isn't any overnight parking get as close as possible to the shipper or receiver and try to get that 10 hours break in before arriving to destination. Some drivers put themselves in bad hour of service situations by being lazy lolly gagging and only running hard on the final day of the trip. Every once in a while you'll get that hot load with tight time restrictions, other that weather and mechanical issues there is absolutely no excuse for running out of time.

Reefer will always have freight because people got to eat.

Backing Practice 02

Looks to be alot of fun lol!!

How is the weather where you are?

Im in Austin, TX and my current temperature reading is 77 and sunny.

Loving it!!

How is the weather where you are?

I got the courage to creep out of Eastern Missouri and reach the other side of the rainbow here in Tulsa Oklahoma. It is currently clear at a nice crisp 48.

How is the weather where you are?

Rub it in lol!!

How is the weather where you are?

Sunny and 50* here. but it's only 7:20 in the morning. Should go up to 75 or so today!

Just rub it why don't you, I'm so envious as I sit in my Igloo!

The worst thing about trucking

Listening to other truckers complaining and being such a negative pessimist about everything.

How is the weather where you are?

I'm currently in Eastern Missouri and the weather conditions and roads are bad. Pretty much a pure white out, couldn't even see a trailers length in front. I made the decision to get my happy a.s.s. off the road and live to drive another day.

Preparing to Leave for CDL Training!

Best of luck Theron!!

Any experiences with Pride Transport?

I don't know much about their fleet, other than them hauling refer and some flatbed. I was informed that Pride and CR England are owned by the same family. Quite a few trucking companies terminals are with in walking distance from each other out there in Salt Lake City, you have Pride, Cr England, Kelle, Swift and a few other companies.

Best luck on your journey!! :-)

Backing Practice 01

Blind side?

Looking for advice from real truckers

Hello Jon!

I'm still a Rookie butt not a disgruntled one and made my year anniversary on january 17

Brett and Old school covered pretty much everything. One other thing that you may want to consider is going with a company that has a terminal near your home base. In my limited trucking experience this makes getting home a little easier. You can always drop a load at the terminal and have another driver take the load for you. I work for Stevens Transport and when I go to the terminal for my mandatory 90 day review and truck clearance I'm usually there for a day or two and for the drivers that live near by they use this as an extra opportunity to get by the house.

$600 a week will be quite easy once you get in rhythm and understand how to run your hours of service.

Swift or cr england for training

Does anybody know England's starting pay?

.12 cpm is the starting pay and forced to team drive with another rookie for 5 months under the socalled CAT program. The recruiter will tell your pay is .24 cpm but in actuality once you split it with your co-driver that's only .12cpm. That's not very competitive pay IMHO, even a fresh faced rookie deserves better pay.

U-Turn in big rig and.... your fired! ??

No U turns is the policy for most big companies.

When we were in training they showed us an incident in Georgia where a car went under the trailer. The car was immediately turned into a convertible, decapitating the body of the driver and killing the baby in the back seat.

Out of route miles suck sometimes but it is safer to find a safe heaven to turnaround than attempt a U-turn.

Stevens Transport

I'm currently working with Stevens Transport. I didn't go to their school.

Once you get your CDL orientation will fall on that following Sunday. Orientation consist of three days, in which you will complete a drug test, physical, and plenty of paperwork. Once everything checks out ok you will spend about two days on skills test, pre trip and road test. Be prepared for a few long days 6am to 10pm on what is. called the hill. Once you pass skills and road test you will be assigned a trainer, which can take a few days depending on smoking or non smoking preference. You will go out with your trainer for a total of 240 hours driving ours. The hours are broking down into 6 levels, which also includes a written test for each level. Training takes about six weeks on average to complete. Once training is done you will be brought back to the yard for grad classes and issued a truck. After 90 days solo they will gradute you and give you a nicer truck. They will entice you to lease, but I wouldn't recommend it personally to a rookie driver.

Stevens is a great training company and I can't say much bad about the company as a whole. I've been with the company for about a year and get treated quite well.

Best of luck with your new career.

Scenic Drives

Can't figure out how to post pics.

1. The photos must be online at a photo sharing place like Photobucket. (The PB app makes it real easy.)

2. The Photo Link for the Edit box will ask for the link to the photo. (Again, PB app will make the link for you.)

Trucking Truth does not hold the photos online for you.

Thanks.

Scenic Drives

Can't figure out how to post pics.