Comments By Miss Red

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/red-pete3.jpg avatar
  • Miss Red
  • Comments:

Any women gone through Prime training?

Miss Red, I'm a experienced Instructor/Trainer here at Prime. Honestly, truckers don't see women very often so expect a lot of attention. Some of the best drivers I know are women so don't be intimidated or go through anxiety. I'm sure you'll be fine, what you're feeling is completely normal. Take it one day at a time, no one is going to throw you to the wolves on day 1.

Oh neat! Hi :D

I'll be able to ignore most of the comments and am not the type to dress to ask for any extra attention. Is it true that we just get assigned by a list of numbers? Is there any interview process? I mean between student and trainer.

You will be chosen by the trainer who will then contact you. The trainer has a list of all trainees along with the information you gave on one of their forms (state of residence, smoking & gender preference). You do not have to accept this trainer. Also, you might notice people hanging around watching trainees during classes, these people are most likely trainers looking for trainees - just a heads up.

Thank you so much for responding :) I'll be stressing the need for a non-smoking, quiet trainer. Funny about your scenario.. One of female friends also got stuck on an incline, she still remembers the road in PA, and her trainer also started yelling and she freaked out and stalled. She said the same thing, the thought of squishing the cars behind her was terrifying. Every time she hit that incline on that road she had problems, but she says she'll never forget the day she "made that hill my b****." :p

Making the Sleeper Cozy Like your Home

I just ran across a video from Boss Lady (Allie Knight) in a detailed 20 minute tour of her Pete. See how things fit in the tiny space of a sleeper cab.

Thanks for posting this. I actually had gotten the idea to have a candle from Allie :) She burns them in a couple of her videos and I thought that must be nice. Make it smell like "home." I like seeing all her little geeky touches (sack boy), octopus pillow. Nice video.

Any women gone through Prime training?

Want to mention that my daughter is 32 and working on her degree in OT- occupational therapy. I'd do almost anything in the world for this fine lady.

Welcome to this forum and keep asking questions.

Missed this bit a couple days ago. Wish her luck :] It takes a special person to go into healthcare.

Making the Sleeper Cozy Like your Home

No no. I meant I'm still scared! :P

ooooooooh!! rofl-3.gif

That's great you're scared though. That means you've been listening to all sides and you're considering everything. We just want to make sure you've gathered as much information as you can so you can make the right decision for yourself.

I think I've read every damn forum on the interwebs on Prime leasing :D I'll figure it out. Worst case scenario I'll be company, and it's not a shabby gig at Prime at all. Though..I don't think I want one of those little trucks. Still need to learn the pros and cons of having one of those.

Making the Sleeper Cozy Like your Home

Hahaha. I still am :D

Go for it! We hope you make a hundred million bucks and make the cover of Time magazine in 2025 as The Richest, Happiest Woman In The History Of Trucking. You can even smile big and give us the finger for doubting you. We'd graciously accept that and we'd be happy to be wrong about it.

smile.gif

No no. I meant I'm still scared! :P

Making the Sleeper Cozy Like your Home

Hahaha. I still am :D

Making the Sleeper Cozy Like your Home

I'm going to say it.. I plan on leasing. I know the truck I'll be getting. No one start in on me :P The worst part about Prime was the hotel they make you stay in. It was incredibly hot and you can't open a window.

I don't plan on bringing a computer during training. I don't want to worry about material crap while I train.

Miss Red- After you've been on the road and lease purchased for a year, you would do us a favor by stopping in here and letting us know how it went? Pros/cons of LP?, Did you make more money? Are you going to do it a second year? And anything else.

I trained at Prime June 2015- the hotel was fine, clean, nice-no negatives whatsoever. I had a roommate- no problems. I'm not going to go with Prime because I want more home time.

Yeah, I was there in October and they were having problems with their heating. One night there was no heat, the next day it was 80+ degrees in the rooms. I figured it wasn't a standard :] Would have been nice if you could open your window though.

I'll check back in. Like I mentioned, I know one man personally that is leasing. I met another that has had 5 leases and now owns his truck. I would have been scared to lease had I based my decision off of the information on these forums. Obviously I haven't signed anything yet, but I'm heavily leaning toward leasing because of how well the two of them are doing.

If you'd like to read a thread that covers how my friend runs and the other man ran during their leases it went something like this:

Hopefully, it's ok for me to link to another board. This thread answers a lot of great questions and shows that it really is like running a business and you need to be smart about it.

Making the Sleeper Cozy Like your Home

Haha. Don't you bash motel 6, Rick. I live and swear by that place! I stayed at one over Christmas. Two people and a cat for $60 and it was nice. I don't even want Mariott!

When I road managed a band, one stipulation on our rider was "No Hotels with Numbers In Their Names" (Super8, Motel6, etc.).

I stayed on the BUS (since it was my bus).

Folks need to be a little thicker-skinned and less defensive here. My posts are not meant to offend, but inform.

Not even going to get into the "leasing right out of the gate" discussion. That one's been covered quite well through the years here.

Rick

Didn't mean to sound like a buttface. My father was a driver so I know a lot about the life. I also personally know more than one person that has successfully leased from Prime. I know these boards are swimming with reasons not to do it.

Making the Sleeper Cozy Like your Home

Who bought furniture?

Was meant as a joke - but directed at the "grand plans" of folks who've never been in a truck.

When you're in training (and someone elses truck) LESS IS MORE. Don't expect to be bringing more than sleeping gear, toiletries, maybe a laptop tablet.

Once you get your assigned truck - you can then assess what your needs are, versus how much space you have - versus how much you are willing to pack in and be subjected to extreme clutter (and more claustrophobia).

I'm not trying to be (overly) discouraging here. But I see a lot of people with unrealistic expectations, or "minimum demands" on equipment, availability of showers, etc.

Think MOTEL 6 - NOT MARRIOTT SUITES here.

The LOWER your expectations, the LESSER YOUR DISAPPOINTMENTS - and the better off your attitude will be, when you become willing to compromise what you ACTUALLY CAN DO - with what you thought you could do (based on what you "heard on the internet").

Rick

Making the Sleeper Cozy Like your Home

Hmm. Also, who hasn't stepped onto a truck? Personally, I've been on several Prime trucks. I visited the school prior to applying and being accepted.

Making the Sleeper Cozy Like your Home

Who bought furniture?

Making the Sleeper Cozy Like your Home

Miss Red....I was afraid to mention if have Yankee Candles l, for fear of the guys thinking that was over the top....lol But yes, I'll definitely have them. And Nag Champa incense....hahaha I'm also bringing my Bose speakers.

Bahahah. I'll have one during training. Two people cramped in a small area sounds like potential for the bunk smelling like one big fart box.

Making the Sleeper Cozy Like your Home

I'm like Miss Vamp. I will have lots of little things to help me feel comfortable. Of course comfort is subjective, but I've already purchased a mattress topper, a ninja cooker (which cooks 3 ways in one machine), high thread count twin XL sheets, down pillows, a portable JBL speaker for hotel rooms and my bunk, a receipt scanner so I won't have extra paper.

For me, it's all about saving space and being super organized. I don't plan on going home very often, maybe once every couple of months to check in with the roommate and eyeball my material possessions. I've loaded my kindle with 100s of books. I've also loaded a device with 1000s of songs. I'll most likely be buying a gaming laptop so I don't have to haul a PC AND my consoles around. I'll have yankee candles because even when not lit they can fill a small space with scent.

Still trying to figure out the entire bicycle thing. I hear conflicting things about having it strapped to the back due to salt, dirt, and the elements. Not entirely sold on the folding bike idea, but you can get one on eBay for 160 bucks, which isn't too shabby in my opinion.

As for protection, I'm not sure what I'll have. I've read in FL that pepper spray over 2 oz requires a conceal carry license. I had originally been thinking bear mace (which is like 8 oz), now I'm unsure.

Prime Inc upfront cost

Here's a clip directly from the email the recruiter sent me:

At orientation you will need:

· $155 Total Out of Pocket Expense

· ($100 non-refundable Enrollment Fee)

· ($55 For Permit Cost )

· A state issued Birth Certificate or Passport

Thought you may be interested in this bit:

Class A CDL Training Program

· We pay for your Greyhound bus ticket to Springfield, MO.

· 4 days of Orientation Monday thru Friday (Paid Hotel and 3 meals per day during Orientation)

· Over the road instruction with a Prime Instructor for 10,000 miles (approximately 3-4 weeks) and Prime advances $200 weekly

· Over the road training with a Prime Trainer for 30,000 miles and $700 (or 14cpm whichever is greater). $25 is deducted weekly for advances if used.

Any women gone through Prime training?

Oh neat! Hi :D

Any women gone through Prime training?

Miss Red, I completely understand your angst about the training time. It can go either way - some folks end up with a great trainer, and some don't. I had a terrible trainer, but it was still good. You will pretty much have to make up your mind to make it work no matter who you end up with. Having said that, I never expect anyone to put up with someone who is behaving inappropriately or being reckless. Prime does a great job, and you will have a contact you can get in touch with if you have concerns. The main thing is keep you focus on why you are there. My trainer tried to teach me so many things that I knew were wrong, so basically I just ignored anything that was not worth keeping and still was able to gain some good experiences from him. Your attitude and approach to that training period will benefit you greatly. Don't be so quick to want to call in with complaints, just try to press through and get the job done.

Here's the way I look at that training time period. It is one more step in the process of being on your own. Take the steps and get it over with. Prime has their own way of doing things, and it seems to work for them. The length of their training is much longer than others, but it has it's merits. I learned an awful lot on my own after I spent a short four weeks with a trainer, but at Prime they try to get you some more exposure to the real world of trucking while you are basically teaming together with your trainer during the second phase of your training. There are some advantages for us introverts with that teaming concept. You will have some privacy since much of the time that you are driving your trainer will be sleeping, and you will be sleeping while they are driving.

The other thing I try to point out to newbies is that your entire rookie year will be packed full of lessons learned. You are embarking on a "grand adventure," and that first year will fly by so fast because you are constantly being exposed to new and interesting experiences and places. I wish you the best in your new career. You can handle it, don't let the jitters get the best of you.

I definitely appreciate the length of the training and I'm purposely going during winter so I can learn as much as possible about the road conditions. I've watched videos of people making it seem as though they are doing most of the driving, so I wasn't sure if we would get some personal space (sleeping, reading in the bunk, etc.) I'm now realizing that some of these people are going to day-type 9-5 schools where they get to go home at the end of the day.

I had previously been assuming the student was doing most of the driving and then both the trainer and student were retiring to their bunks (for 6 weeks or however long). I like the idea of swapping and running continuously much more.

Any women gone through Prime training?

I'm also an introvert I love,my own space. You are a cutie I wouldn't mind being stuck in a truck with you.)

Real classy. Way to alleviate her fears about male truckers.

Read my mind. Just isn't the time to comment about being "stuck with me on a truck." Anxiety is through the roof.

Sorry I guess the part where you say you are " very playful" and like to joke around was misread by me.

I get it. It was a joke. Chose to ignore it until you became sarcastic with another poster. I'm here to calm my nerves. It's not the appropriate time to comment on my appearance or being confined with me when that's exactly why I made the post.

Any women gone through Prime training?

Just make sure it won't expire while you are in training. I am not totally sure if anything would happen, but better safe than sorry.

Oh, Janelle is great! Explained a few HOS tidbits that helped me better understand things.

Stay safe

Well, my DL will expire in March. I should have my CDL before February. Maybe I should just spend the 10 bucks and be safe :D

Any women gone through Prime training?

Don't Worry, Be Happy?

Achy Breaky Heart?

This is war.

I don't think My Heart Will Go On after this thread.

P.S. Yellow Submarine

Need help with figuring out what tools to buy

I like the vicegrips idea. I haven't even entered training yet so this might not be any help, but I'm packing:

Black rubber gloves from Sally's Beauty Supply to fuel with, just because I had them around, in addition to hardier work gloves

Combination digital tire pressure gauge, flashlight, emergency hammer, seatbelt cutter

Plunger-style tire tread depth gauge

And just about everything else recommended in the threads on "packing" that popped up when I used the search bar.

The black rubber gloves from Sally's are genius! I kept trying to decide what gloves to use to fuel.