Profile For Duane C.

Duane C.'s Info

5 years, 11 months ago

Duane C.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  5 months ago

Weighing at scale and sliding tandems

Well, Ms. Donna M and everyone else that may be wondering if or why I have been asking this question for 5 yrs or what's going on well here is my positon. I do drive a tractor-trailer. I drive locally. The company I drive for we hardly ever cross scales therefore, we rarely if ever have to slide tandems or worry about weight. When I asked the question before we had started going out of state pretty regular and you would have to cross a scale at one point and there was a possibility that you may run into portable scales at the destination. I did not make this trip all the time because different drivers went so since I did not go all the time and it has been 5yrs or so I had forgotten or it just didn't stick with me since I wasn't having to do it everyday or very often. Yes I could have asked my co-workers or referred back to the dialogue of 5yrs ago, but I didn't, therefore I asked again. Now I have never ran the road (OTR driver) so I will admit there are probably a lot of things I don't know or have not experienced since I have been a local driver all of my time in driving. We brakedown we have a shop that comes out to fix it. So you don't have to or try to fix/repair it yourself on the road. There are a lot of things that are different from local to OTR driving. The concept, rules, equipment inspections and etc are the same but like I mentioned earlier locally you don't really have to worry about weight, tandem sliding, bridge laws, etc. At least not where I am from in GA and if you do, I have not heard of it or experienced it. So, I hope this gives you a little insight into why I asked the weight question again and I may have some other questions later. I thought this was a good site to ask and get information from different and experienced drivers. Thanks again to the drivers out there that offered help and information. There is one thing that I caught that may always help me from now on the advice to slide towards the problem. I don't think I got that information 5yrs ago. Again thanks to all for the open forum and dialogue. It is really helpful and informative.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Weighing at scale and sliding tandems

I want to thank you all for your help and knowledge, especially the diagrams. I will put all the information you have given me to use here in GA. Hopefully I will get the hang of it and it will come naturally as it does for you guys. Again, thank you and be safe out there. May God bless and ride with you all. If you have any other helpful hints please let me know. God Bless.... Dtrain from Dalton,GA

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Weighing at scale and sliding tandems

Thanks for the reply IDMtnGAL and DoctorWho_214

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Weighing at scale and sliding tandems

Hello fellow drivers. I would like a little help if you don't mind. I need a little lesson if you will on sliding the tandems at the scales so that I am not over weight on steers, drives, or truck/trailer. Here is my dilema below I have 2 scenerios: 1. I weighed in at Steer 10660, Drives 45560, Truck 72360. Which comes out to Steer 10660, Drives 34900, Truck 26800. I know I am over on the Drives 900lbs. My question which way should I slide my tandem forward (toward the tractor) or back (toward rear of trailer)?

2. I weighed in at Steer 10500, Drives 43200, Truck 78700. Which comes out to Steer 10500, Drives 32700, Truck 35500. I know I am over on the Truck 1500lbs. My question which way should I slide my tandems forward (toward the tractor) or back (toward rear of trailer)?

If it matters I have my 5th wheel sitting about middle ways to where the pin sits over the rear tandems on the tractor. Thanks for your help in advance.

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

Wanting to become an Owner/Operator

Thank you for all the advice. I will take it all into consideration and weigh my options. However I did know about some of the overhead stuff like insurance, truck maintenance, fuel cost and etc. I knew I would have to put money back or in a special account for that stuff because I would likely be responsible for that. I had heard about (your own authority) but don't know how that works. All in all I appreciate all the comments it will take them all into consideration. Thank you, Dtrain

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

Wanting to become an Owner/Operator

PJ Moderator,

Yes I have been driving for 16yrs. I will say I do not have OTR exp. but I have been local for 16yrs. I believe I would l haul flooring products such as carpet, backing, yarn, hard wood, etc. or maybe pull for Amazon or FedEx. Something like that. As of right now I am thinking I would just want a daycab to run locally or regional.

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

Wanting to become an Owner/Operator

Hello Laura,

I must inform you that I do have some experience. I do not have OTR experience but I have been a company, local driver for 16yrs. I am aware of the cost of being an OO but in the long run I thought they make more money and you have a lot more say so over what you will and will not do.

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

Wanting to become an Owner/Operator

Well I have always heard O/O make a lot more money than company drivers and you can pretty much call your own shots. If you don't want a run or be dispatched somewhere you can turn them down. Yes you still have a boss somewhat and dispatch, but you have a little more authority of what you will haul, places you will go, etc. So I thought it might be a good thing?????

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

Wanting to become an Owner/Operator

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen of the roadways, I am looking to become an O/O but don't exactly know what to look for in a truck. I don't want to get taken or buy a lemon I spend most of my money and time fixing know what I mean? Anyway I had a conversation with a fellow co-worker about Road trucks (with sleepers) and Day cabs. Which is cheaper? What's the going rate between Road truck and Day cab? What is a good mileage that says the truck still has some life in it? Or better yet how many miles is too many or the hours? Oh I guess I should include this I am more so looking at Day cabs, running locally or regional as to be home most nights. I want something that will run and pull really well. What's a good powerful engine? Cat, Detroit, Cummings, etc.? Can you guys give me some suggestions that will put me on the road to a rewarding O/O career? Thanks and Stay Safe out there on the roads and masking up in public, Dtrain

CB radios

Yes I have had everything checked out so I guess that's it the linear or they just don't want to answer

Hello fellow truckers, I am having a CB radio crisis. I am looking for a good radio that gets out pretty good. I currently have a cobra 29 which is ok I guess, but a lot of times I get no response from others or I get walked on. What makes for a pretty strong radio? Is it the radio itself or the antenna? I use a Wilson 3000 antenna. Can anyone help me with some suggestions without breaking my wallet? A lil humor there....... Thanks in advance......

Weight limits

Question: If my weight is over on the trailer tandems which way do I slide the tandems? If the weight is over on the drives which way do you slide the tandems? however the total weight is good under 80,000 and the steers are good. Can someone help or give me a rule of thumb? Thank you in advance.

Needed help with tandem sliding or weight limit

Yeah I should have went back and made the shipper remove some freight and shift some around, but after two scaling attempts and time running out, I took a chance. And yes I was sweating it out until I got to a point where I knew I was in the clear. Thank GOD.......

If I'm understanding correctly, I would have made that shipper remove some freight from that trailer and shift the remaining load.

Needed help with tandem sliding or weight limit

Yeah I checked that, but its welded that way.

If the fifth wheel is in a fixed position than it wouldnt ever be off so much. No company puts their fifth wheel in a fixed position so far back. Original poster is either doing it wrong or doesn't know how to adjust it.

I've had adjusted fifth wheels, usually that meant they disconnected the air line leading to the fifth wheel that withdraws the locking pins. Look for a disconnected air line running along your frame right before your fifth wheel. If its disconnect it, connect it back, slide fifth wheel then disconnect it again and put it back how it was.

Either way, you're going to be hard pressed to find a shipper who will take off weight when youre not even close to max gross weight.

Needed help with tandem sliding or weight limit

I had a trailer that I weighed St 9640 Dr 44800 total truck and trailer 78500 rear 34020. After calculation it came out to be St 9640 Dr 35160 Tr 33700. I slid my Tr tandems up 6 notches and came out with this St 9500 Dr 43940 Truck and Trailer 78520 TR 34740. After calculation it came out to be ST 9500 Dr 34440 and Tr 34560. I know I was over weight on my Drives and Trailer Tandems I went on and got lucky no scales. What would have been the proper fix. Oh by the why my fifth wheel would not slide. Can someone help?

Posted:  5 years, 1 month ago

CB radios

Ok. That must be it. The Linear amps because everything else checks out.

Assuming you've had the antenna (and wiring) checked out and tuned in - then realize that a stock/unmodified radio is only going to get out so far.

Most of the guys that are walking all over you - probably have modified radios or linear amps running behind the radio to boost their output.

Rick

Posted:  5 years, 1 month ago

Direction to slide tandems

Thanks Ernie S. I will try this and apply it to my daily job. I appreciate your help and advice.

The way I always explain it is this:

Your tandems (trailer wheels) are stationary, move the load towards the smaller of the 2 weights. Example, you have 32425 on your drive axle, and 33967 on your tandems. With your trailer brakes set & pins released, pull the truck forward to move weight forward.

On average, most reefer trailers when you are moving your tandems, you move between 300 - 500 lbs per hole. So with this example, you would want to move your load forward (tandems back) 2 -3 holes to balance the load between drives & tandems. But also as was pointed out, you have to keep bridge laws in mind for the states you are traveling into/through.

Ernie

Posted:  5 years, 1 month ago

CB radios

Posted:  5 years, 1 month ago

Direction to slide tandems

Thanks for the information

Compare the Drive weight with the Tandem weight. If the Drive is heavier, move the Tandems toward the heavy weight. If the Tandems are heavier, move the Tandems away (back) from the weight.

Secret mathematical formula: Subtract the smaller from the larger (just like in school). Divide that number by 500, round up (4.25 becomes 5). That is the number of 4" spaced holes to move.

Drives // Tandem: 31120 // 34760

Difference: 34760 - 31120 = 3640

Divide by 500: 3640 รท 500 = 7.28

Round "up": 8 holes. The heaviest is the Tandems, so move them back 8 holes. Do not get comfused here: to move the tandems back, you need to keep tandem brakes on and move the truck forward.

Posted:  5 years, 1 month ago

Direction to slide tandems

Thanks Old School for the tip on High Road Training Program. I will definitely look into it and study it. appreciate all the help and advice I can get out here.

Duane all your questions will be answered, and you'll learn a lot on this whole subject by going through the "weights and balance" section of our High Road Training Program.

It will make your life so much easier out here, and you'll have the confidence of a professional as you are doing your daily tasks as a driver.

Direction to slide tandems

Thanks Deb R. I will try to remember this on my next weigh.