Profile For Jennifer L.

Jennifer L.'s Info

FL

In CDL School

6 years, 4 months ago

Jennifer L.'s Bio

42 year old single mother ready to strike out and start over!! My awesome son is graduating high school and has his future well thought out, now it is my turn, again!! I have wanted to drive a truck for as long as I remember, just never thought it was really an option. I am a smart tough cookie and I'm ready to do this!! I love information, and so far this sight has been amazing. I'll lurk more than I'll post, maybe, lol.

Jen

Problem with Driving School....

It sounds like they're getting paid to forward applications to certain companies.

Where are you going to school? I don't think you've said anywhere, or at least I can't find it.

If you don't want to say publicly, click on my name to the left of this comment and send me a private message. I don't know where you're going to school so I can't tell ya much.

Oh, and congrats on passing the written exams!!!

Thank you Brett, I sent you a private message but after thinking about it I don't mind saying here where I am going to school, especially since we are here to help each other.

I am attending school at Roadmaster in Orlando FL. It was the third school I interviewed and the best of the three. One took a month to return my phone calls and seemed to have very little interest in recruiting new students, it is a Community College.

The next school I looked at was TDI in Sanford FL. The recruiter seemed knowledgeable but was very pushy. His office was plastered with pictures of customized trucks and truck interiors as an enticement for new recruits. To me this was deceptive since I know you are not going to get a fully customized truck from a company. He also wanted me to redo my application and lie on the new one. With that I walked out of his office and never looked back.

I understand trucking schools need to earn money, but if the over $6000 tuition I am paying is not enough to get the full support of the person who is to help me find employment then there is a break in the system.

No, I am not going to not apply with whomever I wish, but I know that the majority of students in my class are only going to fill out the applications handed to them.

Thank you again for your help and wisdom,

Jennifer

Problem with Driving School....

OH!! I PASSED ALL MY WRITTEN CDL TESTS!! dancing-dog.gifsmile.gifdancing-dog.gif

Problem with Driving School....

I have completed my first week of driving school and I must say I am in heaven. The classes are interesting, my teachers are very well versed in their subjects and my classmates are for the most part an amazing group of guys.

I have one problem though.

The school is helping us with sending out applications for pre-hires but stated flat out "do not apply for any companies that we do not give you applications for and do not apply online".

This has me scratching my head. I understand that the school is owned by a trucking company so they are looking for students to go there but are they under contract with other trucking companies as well?

I have spent hours and hours of time researching, questioning and thinking about this new career and I don't think that a school that I am paying a great deal of money to should be limiting my ability to get as many pre-hire letters as I can.

Comments? Suggestions? Information?

Trouble aka: Jennifer

Starting school on Monday!! So excited.

Yeah, what they'll do is simply divide the total miles the truck runs in half and each driver gets paid equally.

The way they'll usually word it is by saying "Teams are paid 42 cents per mile" which means each team member will get 21 cents per mile for all of the miles the truck runs. You will each be paid individually with separate checks and all.

Is that what you were asking?

Yes Brett, thank you. I had looked this up on Google and got a bunch of mixed information. Jennifer

Starting school on Monday!! So excited.

Oh I see. Well keep us informed about how things go in school. smile.gif

Brett, can you spread any light on how teams are paid?

Starting school on Monday!! So excited.

Jennifer, I've gotta ask - how come you haven't been doing the High Road Training Program to prepare for school? I mean, it's not too late really. A lot of people use our program while they're in school and some Truck Driving Schools even use our program straight off this website to teach their classes.

You're going to have to learn those materials and our system is the easiest and most effective way of doing it.

Brett, I was doing it and then I reset it because it said I seemed to be guessing at the answers, since I reset it I have not had the time to use the program again. I have also shared this page and recommended the use of the program to a few people.

Jennifer

Starting school on Monday!! So excited.

As far as Werner goes I think they would be a great company to work for. I went to orientation with them on Monday. Unfortunately I was sent home due to a misunderstanding. My driving record isn't the best. I had a violation for reckless driving that I thought was dismissed but it is still on my record for a little bit longer. They couldn't continue with my employment until that is off the record.

If I don't find suitable employment that I enjoy before that goes away I will be going back to Werner. They treated me awesome and they really seem to value their drivers. Their equipment seemed top notch. They are very big on safety.

The orientation was quick and painless. It is only two days and then you go out with a trainer for about 6 weeks before being issued your own truck. They have a wall full of names and pictures of drivers with one million to over 6 million miles. We had a guy come through the terminal during orientation with over 4 million accident free miles with Werner. He was great to talk to and loves working with them.

Jeez I sound like I'm a recruiter for them but I'm just trying to get some good out there about them. You read a lot of bad things about every company out there. That's because they are the drivers that didn't work out for one reason or another. The good drivers are out there on the road driving. Stop at a truck stop and ask drivers questions while they are fueling or something. Many of them are friendly and you will get honest answers.

The thing that surprised me was even though they had to send me home for the time being I received pay for my days in orientation and they also paid for my travel home when they really didn't have to. Plus a free dot physical. :)

Thank you!

Starting school on Monday!! So excited.

You can find bad information about any company. I've heard a lot of good about Werner. I think most companies, especially the big ones, will depend on your attitude as far as how happy you are with them.

You can drive 11 hours. You can be "on duty" for 14. On duty is doing things related to the job like pretrip, scanning paperwork, loading, etc.

Thank you Britton, I know that the bad information can be easier to find than the good, that is one of the reasons I love this forum so very much.

Trouble

Starting school on Monday!! So excited.

So, I am starting school on Monday and am very excited. I have been reading this page for about three weeks and am very appreciative of all the information.

I have been fortunate enough to find a an old friend to drive with as a team, but I have a few questions.

Are there any freight companies to stay away from? I have heard a few negative things about Werner but don't know if that is just someone who was not willing to do their job.

Also, and this may seem silly, does a team get paid in one check that we have to split or are we treated like individuals?

Also, we are willing to drive as much as possible (now, this may change after getting a few miles under our belts but I doubt it), I have seen that you can drive as many as 14 hours a day, and seen 11 hours a day. What number is more accurate?

Any help and encouragement would be super awesome!!

Jennifer a.k.a. Trouble

Woman 45 thinking about a career change and looking to start with CREngland

Its always hard when you don't have the employment history that they want. BUT...heres a few under the table facts about trucking companies...They LIKE lady drivers.It seems we take better care of their equipment, don't waste our time in strip clubs, and don't let lot lizards in their trucks, and we work harder, and are on time more than not. So, that being said, you just need to apply to every company that you come across. Flood them with paperwork...one of them wil pick you up and train you. Spend your year with them,if need be, and then pick a better company if your not happy where you are. So don't lose faith...its your dream, your adventure....chase after it, trip it, and jump on it !!!

Thanks!! Jen

Start to Finish so-to-speak :)

Whew. Passed the exam yesterday smile.gif The lady at the exam site got a little nervous when I told her I wanted to take multiple tests all at once. Then she was shocked when I came back within about 30 minutes and told her I was done and that I had passed them. She said they had only had one other person to do that within about 5 years. Thank you Brett dancing.gif I studied the High Road course over and over. There were some specific questions about railroad crossings on a dirt road that I hadn't encountered, but I made good guesses. Your course is top notch in my book! Hoping to begin practical training within 2 weeks. Packing time for now. Anybody have a good brand recommendation and where-to-buy info for some of that dry shampoo?

You can find dry shampoos at drug stores but the ones in the "pharmacy" area tend to smell medicinal.

I have seen advertisements for a new dry shampoo from Tres Seme' (sp?), I have used their wet products before and been satisfied, maybe give it a try and let us know your results please?

Jen

Woman 45 thinking about a career change and looking to start with CREngland

Ok Ladies of wisdom. I wanted to know if anyone else is struggeling to get past the employment history part. I have been a Student and house wife for 7 years or so. I am not getting a great response from the Companies that offer sponsored training. Is it a better route to save and attempt a school opposed to a company paid one? Also is there any companies that allow pets other than ffe?. Cental Ref just drug me through all the hoops then turned and said they have to many more qualified applicants?. I am educated and have over 20 years in Social Services, unfortunately my experience in 1989-2007 and being a single parent my schooling has been off and on due to finances? Any Ideas ladies.

Stephanie M.,

Thank you for your question, I have been wanting to ask the very same question about the same thing, Employment Verification, I have had a very hard time of it for a few years and this section of the application is daunting to me. I had/have decided that when I fill out an application I will be sure to include a letter explaining why I have been unemployed but able to keep my head above water.

Any input here would be great, I so very much want to become a driver and will jump through most hoops, as long as its kept honest, lol

Jennifer