Profile For Turtle

Experienced Driver

7 years ago

Turtle's Bio

richfromwalmart@gmail.com

Posted:  4 days, 20 hours ago

Alley Docking and Impatient Motorists

I like to do one or two extra pull ups just to be perfect when faced with impatient and rude cars trying to get around when I'm backing into a dock

Not me. I always give a wave, nod, and thank you. Someone else's impatience and rudeness can be tempered with a kind gesture of thanks. We are the public face of our company, and also that of our profession. Why would I try to make my job harder, or invite further anger? That would be counterproductive.

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

Suboxone and trucking

If the company doesn't know about an employee's mental illness they can clear themselves of any liability in the event that some kind of tragedy occurs. Whereas if the company was aware of the mental illness they can be held liable.

Bingo

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

HIGH ANXIETY 😳

Welcome to the forum! We're glad you stopped in.

Being an "all in" kind of guy, I take the philosophy of if a little of something is good, a lot must be better, right? If you're going to be something, be the best. So with this philosophy, if you're going to spend the time training for a Class B, just use the same time and go straight for the Class A. You'll be much happier in the end for doing so, and it'll open up many many more possibilities for you, now and in the future.

Now about that anxiety. Let me ask you this: After trying the straight back for the first time, do you think you'll be as nervous on the next attempt? Probably not, I suspect. You are completely new to the mechanics of backing a trailer, so no one expects perfection from you. With every attempt, you'll gain experience and confidence in your ability. With time, practice, and focus you will become comfortable and that anxiety will be gone.

Everybody out here experiences anxiety at times. Maintaining your focus and not freezing up is key. Become a sponge for training and absorb all the tips and instruction with confidence, knowing you are getting better every day.

If you don't use your class a, who cares?. You'll still have it in your pocket for when you want it. That's my view on it.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Share Your Numbers From 2022 - How Did You Do?

My gross was $116,147.82 for the year. I work a normal 5-day week Sun-Thur with Fri-Sat off. The gross includes the 30 paid vacation days off I get, of which I used 25, with the balance to roll over to this year. I've built up an average daily pay of $458, which is how we are paid for those PTO days.

For those of you who don't know, I drive out of a Walmart DC, delivering goods to any Walmart or Sam's club within my region, typically a 600 mile radius from the DC. Trips are often multi-stops at multi stores, and sometimes have a backhaul attached.

In an average week I'll typically log 60 - 65 hours of on duty. The bulk of those hours are usually logged within the first 4 days. On go home day I'll normally slack off a bit, and go home after 8-10 hours, essentially giving myself an extra half day at home.

Last year I logged 104,456 miles. Excluding vacation weeks or weeks that I mentored new drivers, this works out to an average of 2, 222 miles per week. Mileage only makes up roughly 2/3 of my pay, with the balance coming from activity or accessory pay (hooks, drops, bonuses, etc.)

This month started my 7th year as a driver, with two and a half years at Prime, and three and a half years here in the WMPF.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Happy new year! How slow are you?

People continue to eat, so I'm as busy as ever.

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

Mileage Pay?

On the flip side, I'm instructed to take whichever route I deem to be safe, and I get paid for all hub miles.

To get from my DC to interstate 88, the Navigo routing brings us over the mountain pass on route 30A, a windy, sometimes steep rural two-lane road. I opt instead to go around via interstate 90, a toll road and an additional 20+ miles. The time it takes to go around is equal to going over the mountain, and it is far safer.

Another example is when I'm traveling East towards Long Island, and instead of going the straight path across the Cross Bronx and GWB, i instead wrap around 287 and over the Tappan Zee bridge. I believe this is an additional 40+ miles. This usually takes roughly the same time or a little longer, but is far safer than going through that hornet's nest of NYC.

If I make a mistake or miss an exit and have to go out of route, there are no worries about not getting paid. They pay for all additional miles, tolls, etc. without a complaint. Obviously they would say something if it got out of hand, but I don't let it go that far.

On one hand, I think it's wise to let drivers make their own safe decisions. Cearly there are those drivers who would take advantage of such a policy, and abuse that advantage. But if the net result is a safer fleet...

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

Headlights on or off?

Always on per WMPF policy. As a professional driver, I like giving the other guy every chance to see me coming.

Posted:  1 month ago

Alley Dock in Action

G-town often takes a lot of flack for his hard line approach to topics right or wrong. He's often singled out for picking on the bad eggs. But let me tell you that I too have had just about enough of Ryan B's tantrums.

G-Town writes:

Ryan is the only member of this forum that would be offended by what I wrote. The only one…and basically took an otherwise excellent teaching thread, and wrecked it with a barrage of false accusations and character assignations directed at me.

100%. Ryan has such a huge need for recognition or to always be right that when countered with an opposing view he often redirects the focus to something "someone else" or "another moderator" said. This need to be right nearly always evolves into a tantrum. I usually choose not to engage in such things. If he feels the need for such validation in his life, so be it. But when it detracts from the true purpose of this forum or it's discussions, it becomes a problem, and we have to step in.

I’ve honestly lost count at the number of his replies I deleted

Same. I would have wagered I hold the high score for comments deleted from Ryan. In fact I'd even go so far as to say I've deleted more comments from Ryan alone then all of the other deleted comments combined (excluding spam). The point is moot, but it illustrates the quality of posts we moderators see that other members do not. We invite and encourage debate, arguments, diversity of opinions, and lively discussions. Unfortunately, he is also sometimes just an ass, taking on the childish air of a petulant school girl, and that serves no purpose. Left unchecked, what would this forum become?

Posted:  1 month ago

This may be it for me

My thoughts are with you Chris. Please continue to work through this in any way you can.

Posted:  1 month ago

How to give advice to a friend that doesn't take advice?

The thing about advice is it is usually conservative in nature. In other words, we tend to think of the worst case scenario and advise against it. The problem with this is that sometimes the danger never materializes. If I parked my truck every time someone suggested it, I would not be nearly as productive as I am.

That's not to say that there isn't a real danger on those roads, or that your friend should just push through. Rather, I'm saying that if your friend is as fiercely independent as I am, he will likely want to base his decision not entirely on your advice, but also his gut feeling when faced with the actual conditions rather than those predicted.

Yes, my opinion will be unpopular. Yes, it's quite possible he should play it safe and park his truck. It's equally possible that he'll make it through unscathed, and gain some valuable experience out of it.

In the end it's as Packrat suggested: You can't save people from themselves. You also can't predict whether they'll succeed or fail in a situation. You can only give suggestions and hope everything works out for the best.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Live in one state, run out of another

There's no requirement to transfer a CDL to the state of your terminal. Your CDL need only come from your state of residence.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Flatbed Variety

Flatbed trailers typically have 2-4 boards running the length of the trailer to which the chocks can be nailed for this type of securement. Additionally, there is the possibility of using coil racks, which are steel gadgets that rest on the deck from one side of the coil, or tank in this case, to the other. The chocks fit inside the racks, preventing them from moving outward. In this case, I wouldn't worry so much about the chocks, they are probably fine.

That leaves the issue of the tank being slightly off center. And it comes down to this:

You don't know what you don't know.

-Maybe the load shifted at some point, and now he has to limp it the rest of the way.

-Maybe he purposely loaded it off center to counterbalance the natural slope to the right in the roadway.

-Maybe he has an issue with the trailer, and has to favor one side.

Maybe his co-driver is a big'un, so he has to counterbalance that.

Or maybe he just simply didn't care enough to shift it over a few more inches.

Who knows? I sure don't, so I can't judge. What I can see is that with chocks in place, that load is secure. And I see at least seven straps holding it down, which means he can legally secure a load weighing 75,600 lbs. And I doubt that tank weighs even a third of that.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Out of state taxes

I wonder how many people don't question the letter and just pay the $1200. I'm sure the state is raking in some extra cash over this.

"Nothing to see here..."

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Do any of you go geocaching?

I never did like this guy...

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Automatic restriction omitted on cdl

That's interesting. Maybe somebody at the DMV slipped up. I'm not sure what I would do.

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

Out of state taxes

When I attended orientation in Dec.'16, Prime's policy was to have students get their Learners permit and CDL from the Missouri DMV. Thus, we had to officially change our place of residence "on paper" to the Campus Inn in MO. It wasn't until the early weeks of TNT that I made it back to my home state to switch my CDL over to that state.

So now I'm wondering if those first few paychecks under that temporary residency made me subject to Missouri state income taxes. Could this be a possibility in your case?

I never received any similar notice from MO, at least not yet, so I wouldn't think that was the case. It doesn't seem reasonable that the volume of students passing through Prime during that time would have the same problems.

I know at some point after I started, Prime switched their policy over to one that requires students to get their permit before coming to orientation. There were a few policy changes during that period, so it got kind of confusing. You may have fell into that confusing time.

However, for the sake of discussion, let's say you were in fact unknowingly required to pay MO income tax for a short time span. That would mean you also erroneously paid state taxes for the same time span in your home state of CA. Follow what I mean?. Like if you were supposed to file MO income tax for January, but instead took your entire W-2 and filed it in CA. That means CA received more taxes than they were entitled to for that year.

Sounds like a mess to me.

I could be completely wrong here, and this could be a simple mistake, as Kearsey points out. Just throwing a possibility out there.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Mass firing blindsides former UFI employees, truck drivers

Can't say they were completely blindsided if the company dumped nearly 500 employees in the same fashion back in July.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Internal debate on recaps vs resets.

I still have a certain amount of internal resistance to not simply working super long days for weeks on end, especially in a field where the more I work, the more money I make.

I can certainly understand that. We come from similar backgrounds, both being former contractors. I believe we're hard-wired for production. It's what keeps me constantly looking for ways to improve my bottom line.

Also remember that I often post for the benefit of the many many others who may read this, now and in the future. It's not always a direct response to you in particular. I try to make sure inaccuracies or gray areas are clarified, lest newbies stumble across something and take it as fact.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Internal debate on recaps vs resets.

As mentioned, if the decision to run recaps or resets comes down to your personal preference, neither I nor anyone else can have any argument with that. You do you, and I fully support your decision to run as hard, or as easy, as you like. But the most common mistake I see in this debate is when someone starts thinking a reset means:

I feel like I'm wasting time when I'm not rolling for a day and a half.

Or feel like:

it bothers me taking a couple days off.

You simply have to get out of that mindset, because it's inaccurate.

Instead of thinking of it as two days off, think of it simply as 34 hours. A reset driver takes 34 hours off. Right? Now here is the most commonly overlooked fact: a recap driver takes at least 30 hours off in that same time frame. How? Because on average a recap driver only works 9 hours a day, leaving 15 hours per day sitting every single day. So while the reset driver is sitting 34 hours, the recap driver is sitting 30 hours.

But it doesn't stop there at 34 vs 30.

On average, the recap driver sits five more hours per day than the reset driver. This brings the total hours of weekly "wasted" time to far more than a reset driver.

It's black and white to me, but I struggle to explain it any more clearly.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Western NY snow event

I think we could all look to be a bit more compassionate toward our fellow man

Virtue signaling on a trucking forum does not equal compassion.