Profile For Turtle

Turtle's Info

Upstate, NY

Experienced Driver

2 years, 12 months ago

Turtle's Bio

Originally from FL. At age 19 I went to visit friends for the summer in upstate NY. On my first day there I met the woman I was destined to marry and never went home again. 30 years later and I still live in New York, with the same beautiful wife. Of course I do get back to Jax a couple times a year to visit the family, but I've made a nice home in NY.

Also at age 19 I got into the flooring business as an installer apprentice. After a couple of years I acquired enough experience and knowledge to branch out on my own, running my own successful flooring sales and installation business for the next 27 years.

In 2015 I finally began to tire of all things flooring. There was no passion left in what I was doing, and I began to feel like a mere robot mindlessly going about my daily routine.

With my son now grown and out of the house, I saw an opportunity to finally do something I've only thought about up till then. Driving a truck has always been on my bucket list. My dad and grandfather both drove trucks, and so I knew a little about the business.

My wife was totally on board with the idea, and she's now rides with me full time. This experience has been better than expected. The rest as they say is history. We're still rolling.

Thanks for listening.

Posted:  15 hours, 58 minutes ago

Help your fellow driver

FYI... I'll be in Cressona, PA tomorrow night. At your favorite shipper!

Ugh! I was just there last week. Waited 6 hrs for my trailer to be ready. Not a bead of sweat shed by the workers there haha.

Posted:  1 day, 15 hours ago

So this happened

Awesome, looks fun! Enjoy it JuiceBox

Posted:  1 day, 21 hours ago

Help your fellow driver

What in the world, how would Flying J not let someone use their phone when it's that cold outside, and he has no way back into his own truck.

That really ticked me off as well. All I can think is maybe they thought he was a bum or something. Like a lot of us flatbedders at times, he was kind of dirty. Still no reason to turn somebody away into the cold.

Posted:  1 day, 22 hours ago

Help your fellow driver

Admittedly this post may sound like I'm patting myself on the back, and perhaps I am a bit. But I think it's an interesting "feel good" story of how we should all help each other.

We're at the Flying J just outside of Omaha, and it feels about 150 below zero out there. My wife walked up to the store to smoke (I quit 4 years ago and although it doesn't bother me, she refuses to smoke around me). While she was up there, a gentleman approached her and said:

" I'm so sorry to bother you. I came in to do laundry, and when I went back out to the truck both of my door locks are frozen. My phone is in the truck, Flying J won't let me use theirs, can I use yours to call my wife and get the number to my road assist?"

"Well of course." she said. So he calls and gets the number, then calls Western Express (he's a flatbedder too btw). They tell him to call back in 15 minutes...

"Ma'am I'll understand if you can't, but can you wait 15 more minutes for me to call them back?"

"Absolutely, don't worry about it."

Meanwhile, I'm chillin in my jammies in the truck reading a book, unaware of all of this. She shoots me a quick text letting let me know what's going on, where she is, and where his truck is. She's helpful, but no fool either. I told her to tell him to heat the key up, then insert the key into the lock to thaw the ice. She said ok, and after letting him make his phone call returned to the truck to start cooking supper.

A little while later he knocked on the door of my truck...

"Man I'm so sorry to bother you, do you know any tricks? Road assist first had me try WD-40, then deicer spray. Nothing is working."

"Did you try heating the key up?"

"Well no, with all that flammable stuff in there I'm afraid of holding a flame to the lock and catching the truck on fire."

"No you heat up.....hang tight buddy, I'll be right over"

Did I mention it's like 200 below zero out there?

So I get dressed to go over to his truck. On my way out the door my wife says "tell him to come for supper, I'm making extra." I just love her.

Heated the key with a lighter and stuck it in the lock. Four or five times of doing that and within 5 minutes the door was open. The look of joy and gratefulness on his face made the 100-yard frozen journey totally worth it.

As if that wasn't already awesome enough, I then insisted he come over to eat with us. He accepted and the three of us had a good meal and good conversation.

In the grand scheme of things this is really no big deal. Just one person helping another. But it created a bond and a memory none of us will likely forget.

We need more of that.

Carry on.

Posted:  1 day, 23 hours ago

To Ease Your Mind About Winter Driving...

Soooo just another day in January you're saying lol. Be safe. I imagine I'll be heading over that way toor after empty.

Posted:  2 days ago

Packed and ready to head out to Wolding.

Wishing you the best of luck Grumpy. We're all traveling with you.

Posted:  2 days ago

To Ease Your Mind About Winter Driving...

Mouse, Im.in Laramie Petro right now!! The wind gusts are 63mph...my truck is governed at 62. if the wind goes faster than my truck....im parking

Haha that sounds reasonable!

Hmm Laramie huh? You may as well drop down to the yard in Denver. I'll be there later this afternoon through Tuesday morning. My wife is with me for protection too!

smile.gif

Posted:  2 days, 10 hours ago

Tractor Man is Back!

Wow welcome back T-Man! Good luck on the restart.

Yours wasn't the only mysterious disappearance surrounding Rainy. There have been rumors...

Posted:  2 days, 14 hours ago

Hi all

I got out of PA just in time to make it over to IN where I picked up yesterday afternoon. That storm is nothing to play with.

Good luck at Schneider James, let us know how it works out.

Posted:  2 days, 14 hours ago

Another long overdue update

He lives!!

dancing-dog.gif

Hey man glad to see ya! I was just talking about you the other day to another member. I linked them to your tanker thread, as they were interested.

So it sounds like the new gig is working out for you. Leaving a solid company like Prime can of course be daunting. I'm glad to hear you did it the right way.

Once again, it's great to hear from you Ice. Stay in touch!

Posted:  3 days, 11 hours ago

Laugh for the Day....

Haha I sure don't miss smoking in the cold. Even worse, I can't imagine taking up smoking again after 6 years!

Posted:  3 days, 11 hours ago

To Ease Your Mind About Winter Driving...

I have a habit of deleting non-essential company messages from my phone so I don't have this one there,but I still have the message received earlier on my QC.

0515419001547862804.jpg0422618001547862871.jpg

I'm currently sitting in Elkhart, IN on my 10. Only I'm going to stretch this break out to maybe 16hrs or so in hopes of letting the storm pass before I roll on to Denver.

Although I may push myself sometimes, its never because of pressure from dispatch. They let me call all the shots. Safety always comes first, second, and third.

Posted:  3 days, 15 hours ago

CDL permit wahoo!!!!!

Congratulations!

Posted:  3 days, 16 hours ago

Bittersweet ending

Congratulations Rob, and good luck!

Posted:  3 days, 16 hours ago

Prime Inc Automatic only

Not Pittsburgh, it's Pittston, PA where we have a northeast terminal. You'll be in good hands there, just pack your longhandles, it gets cold there for the pad training.

A week of driving that auto-shift and you'll be in love with it!

Good luck, you got it!

Posted:  4 days, 2 hours ago

Cb alternative

That's all well and good Conservative. But there is simply no replacement for the real-time info that can only come from a CB.

You need to to be able to hear "Hey Prime back it down, there's a crash right in front of you!".

Or "Drivers, they got the highway shut down at the 101. You may want to take Route 11 around"

No app can do that.

There really isn't all that much trash on a CB anyway. Most of the time there's just silence. It's rare that i talk at all on it. I don't keep a CB to chat. I keep it to save time and to save lives.

Posted:  4 days, 15 hours ago

Halvor Lines said OKAY!

Congratulations James!

You'd be surprised at how many accidents happen in drop yards and parking lots.

Indeed. At a Prime company safety meeting we were told that something like 75% of all accidents involving Prime trucks occurred in parking lots.

Posted:  4 days, 17 hours ago

Navigating the forum. I'm lost!

*top left

Posted:  4 days, 17 hours ago

Navigating the forum. I'm lost!

Click the "start new reply" button down below all the posts to reply.

To edit your profile click the three bars up on the table left of the screen to the left of the trucking truth logo. Scroll down to my profile/update my profile, & so on

Posted:  4 days, 18 hours ago

Question on applying to truck companies.

Hi Rick, and welcome to the forum. First you should decide which companies you are interested in based on criteria such as:

Hiring area

Types of freight you'd like to haul

Hometime options

Areas of the country in which you'd like to run

Regional or dedicated oportunities

Etc

Once you shorten your list down to those companies that fit your criteria, I'd suggest applying to them all. Then simply wait and see who bites. After you get a few offers you can then fine-tune your search.

Chances are most of the megas will operate in Texas. So you'll likely have many options to choose from.