Profile For Turtle

Turtle's Info

Upstate, NY

Experienced Driver

4 years, 5 months ago

Turtle's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  18 hours, 6 minutes ago

Slip seating during this pandemic

I slipseat once a week. Three of us share two trucks. Just sani-wipe everything before your shift and you'll be fine. Steering wheel, switches, handles, etc.

Posted:  2 days, 11 hours ago

Unsure of my better option

Hi Laurie, and welcome to the Forum!

Pete is correct, we always recommend Paid CDL Training Programs here because it gives you the absolute best chance of success for the exact reasons mentioned above and more.

Check out this article for more info

Why I prefer paid CDL training

Posted:  2 days, 14 hours ago

Are these new LED flares legal instead of triangles?

Reflective triangles never burn out or need batteries. LEDs are ok as an addition, but triangles are a must.

Posted:  4 days, 10 hours ago

Parking in my driveway

And also ask permission from the owner of the grass lot across the road.

Posted:  4 days, 19 hours ago

Pros and Cons Of Teaming With An Owner-Operator

You really cannot be, or at least should not be that negative on owner/operators.

Show me where I was the slightest bit negative on an O/O in my reply.

The question asked was pros and cons of team driving with an O/O. I answered with my honest opinion on the subject, in no way reflecting my thoughts on becoming an o/o.

Posted:  4 days, 20 hours ago

Pros and Cons Of Teaming With An Owner-Operator

Pros: I got nothin...

Cons: No autonomy. You are subject to the whim and mercy of the O/O

The O/O will be motivated by revenue to the truck. This means if you get paid by the mile, your paycheck will suffer every time a shorter, more profitable load to the O/O comes along.

There's more, but I have to go.

Posted:  5 days, 16 hours ago

Prime Flatbed; Springfield, Missouri; Spring 2020

I think we've lost him, PackRat. I don't know if it was too many onion fumes, or having to tarp shingles that did him in. Either way, I think his hook has done come loose from the rub rail.

Posted:  5 days, 17 hours ago

Flatbed with Prime?

What I doubt is you took 5 days off in a row after 4 weeks and did good.

Well I guess that's just a personal problem you are going to have to deal with. I know what I did, and have the facts to back it up. But I don't need to prove anything to you. Frankly I don't really care what you think. What I care about is you telling readers they're going to lose thousands upon thousands of dollars by choosing one company over the other. That is simply not true, and a cop-out for your lack of performance.

Either way your taking off time each week either by being short hours or doing a reset

The same can be said for either company. You're going to have short days at TMC also, followed by a reset at home that makes for a really crappy paycheck that week or month.

Likewise, slow weeks happen at Prime. Clock management becomes vital if one wants to keep the money coming in, way more vital than for the weekend resetter. One can possibly manage their hours at Prime so that they might run recaps and avoid any days off besides scheduled home time.

Once again, I'm not telling the OP to choose one company over the other. Rather, I wanted him to know the home time differences. You show me some data to support your theory, and I'll look at it with an open mind. Until then, I'm going on my own first-hand experience.

If your plan is to take 5 days off after 4 weeks your running like a part timer. Your losing Lots of money.

First, I never said exactly 5 days in exactly 4 weeks. The general rule is you're allowed one day off per week. So taking 4-5 days off every month or so is normal, and no different from doing resets every week.

Second, I made nearly 80k as a "part timer", as you call it. I'd say I did pretty good.

Posted:  5 days, 21 hours ago

Flatbed with Prime?

Turtle,

Do you have any thoughts on PGT trucking? Thanks.

Sorry, but I do not. I'd never even heard of them until you brought them up in your your other thread.

Posted:  5 days, 21 hours ago

Flatbed with Prime?

Your trainer probably shouldn’t be training then in my opinion because that’s exactly what that symbol on the sticker means. It’s to mark the securement point they want you to use to properly secure the equipment.

I agree wholeheartedly with Robert that when a flatbed "trainer" doesn't recognize this very basic securement symbol, it's concerning.

Posted:  5 days, 21 hours ago

Flatbed with Prime?

Your going to reset on the road 3 times in a 4 week period then take 5 days off.

And you're basing that statement on what?

You see, I actually drove a flatbed for prime, so I'm basing my statement on facts and experience. Never once in my time did I take 3 resets in a month.

My guess

Exactly. It's only a guess on your part. We don't deal in guesses here, we give people unbiased facts and let them make their own decision.

I can't speak for TMC, but my time at Prime showed me that days can turn into weeks in a row when freight is good. Ebb & flow.

Statements such as Rubber Duck's are simply guesses with no basis in fact.

I did very well at Prime, because I put forth the effort. I'm confident I would have done equally well at TMC.

That is the truth.

Posted:  1 week ago

Leaving a contract early? Advice

Well Jessica, your husband may have got himself into a little pickle, but there is a way out. He needs to double his efforts right now to become the best driver he can be.

Every driver starts out a little slow in the beginning, so short checks are nothing new. But as he gets better at managing his clock and becoming more efficient and productive, the money will follow.

As for leaving the company, he signed a contract and should follow through on it. Leaving now would only create more financial stress, as well as put a black mark on his record that will be difficult to overcome. Many companies won't hire someone who breaks a contract. Exactly what will happen will depend on which company he's with, and what the terms of the contract are.

My suggestion is for him to stick it out. Although it may be difficult now, the potential benefit will outweigh the difficulty you're facing at the moment.

Posted:  1 week ago

Flatbed with Prime?

Rubber Duck states:

What’s really going to happen is your going to lose a ton of money going home for a whole week and at the end of the year your going to be missing thousand and thousands of dollars compared to what you would of made doing resets at your house every weekend.

Whether someone takes a 34 every weekend or instead takes several days off in a row at the end of the month, the amount of days taken off are the same. So the argument that you'd lose thousands and thousands of dollars is false.

Income potential at both companies is largely identical, and based on a driver's effort.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Flatbed with Prime?

There may not necessarily be more home time at TMC when you consider you're only home long enough for a 34 each weekend, vs Prime where you'll be home 4 - 5 days in a row once a month. Think of it that way also. Good points and bad points to both.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Papa Pigs Zainy Rookie Solo Adventures

They keep a putty knife and pail of grease right in our fuel bay, so I dab some on every couple of weeks, or as needed.

Great thread, keep it up!

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Early Fireworks--Blown Steer Tire

Almost got your fireworks a little early, eh?

Good job hanging on to her. Most of that will buff out.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Flatbed with Prime?

That's a decision only you can make. Either company is top notch, especially on the flatbed side. Both run the same type of freight, often picking up from or delivering to the same customers.

A key difference is TMC is more regionalized, as I understand it. They can often get you home every weekend, whereas Prime is 48 states, typically 3-4 weeks out at a time.

I spent nearly 3 years flatbedding at Prime and loved every minute of it, so obviously my bias will lean towards them.

Ironically I first applied to TMC, but they never called me back.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Prime Flatbed; Springfield, Missouri; Spring 2020

Thanks for the kind, Rob. What you see is what you get with me. Give me a few Heiney Lights, a guitar, and a bonfire and you might see my inner crazy come out.

Speaking of crazy...

That song...omg. I not ashamed to admit I literally LOL'd when I read it. Yup, you're turning into a trucker...

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Happy Birthday Kearsey

*ducking to avoid potential projectiles..

"Happy 29th Birthday Kearsey!

..* keeping safe distance from Andy, quietly leaves room..

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

6 months experience as a direct job placement for Dollar general

There's an easier way to avoid accidents: stop hitting stuff.

I disagree with PJ in the sense that I I think you should have stuck with CRE if they were going to stick with you after those two accidents. You simply had to ask to be taken off the DG account.

Leaving CRE isn't going to change bad decisions. In fact, leaving was the absolute worst thing to do, in my opinion.You should have went to them with hat in hand thanking them for giving you the opportunity to learn from your mistakes and become a better driver. If they were willing to stick with you, giving you a chance after those two accidents, why would you think bailing on them would be a good choice?

In your two examples above, you showed zero ownership or accountability for the accidents, even though both were clearly your fault. Not the driver directing you, not the DG, and certainly not the innocent fence. Only one person was behind the wheel in control. The sooner you accept and admit that fact, the easier it will be for you to move forward.

Never relinquish control of your vehicle to someone who is directing you. They aren't the ones taking the hit when you have an accident. Be absolutely aware of your own surroundings. GOAL as many times as necessary. And don't hit stuff.

You're going to have a hard time finding someone to hire you after those two accidents, especially if you keep blaming them on someone else. Own up to what you did, learn from it, and try to be a better driver because of it.

My best advice to you would be to ask CRE for your job back, and to ask to be taken off the DG account. Short of that, apply everywhere as PJ advised. Hopefully someone will give you a shot.

Your example is why we always try to dissuade rookies from doing any kind of dollar accounts. There are simply far too many ways to have career-ending accidents in those parking lots.

Good luck.