Comments By Traffic Jam (SunnyWalker.net)

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/truckstop-park.jpg avatar

Traffic Jam and Averitt Express

I am off tomorrow (9/15/13) to join Averitt Express. First hurdle is get through DOT physical and orientation. I am anticipating a good time and hope to have lots of good news to report to you. I am flying to Cookeville, TN tomorrow and will enter their HQ on Monday 9/16/13. Take care and I hope to have good news to report to you all later in the week. Thanks for reading along and don't get into a

-Traffic Jam smile.gif

Davey and CDL

I leave tomorrow (9/15/13) to go to Averitt Express. I have appreciated all that TT has helped me with and the encouragement. As I have my CDL now and etc., this will be the last post on this thread. I will now go to General Categories and continue on as "Traffic Jam and Averitt". Take care. I am on my way to Averitt Express and hope you don get caught in a

Davey and CDL

I leave for Averitt Express at Cookeville, TN this Sunday. I'll remember your words Brett and make it through. Thanks again to all of you for the encouragement and assistance on this journey. You have helped bring me to this place where I can take this opportunity. I will try to post from Cookeville. After the orientation I will fly back home and then meet up with trainer. See you down the road and watch out you don't cause a

thank-you.gifthank-you.gifthank-you.gifthank-you.gifthank-you.gif

Davey and CDL

Thanks you guys. Yes, as I read Bretts comments I instantly knew he was right. In the past few days I have felt myself come to a conclusion in the form of, "This is probably my last chance so I need to see it through and do it right" type of thing. Thanks and I didn't mean to say the trainer was abusive, although I used that word once. I like Brett's words, "less than stellar" might be a more apt description. OK, though-another complication! I had Averitt Express call me! I had applied for a "dedicated/supply chain" out of Amarillo (50 miles from our home). I have an interview scheduled with them tomorrow at 8:30 am. Here is the kicker, the bus for Steven's/Dallas leaves out at 11:25 am tomorrow also! So after the interview I am going to have to make a pretty fast decision which company I wish to go try to get on with. Averitt I could get home each week. Stevens out for 3-4 weeks at a time. .34 cpm Averitt, .26 cpm Stevens (both, after the 5 weeks of training). $400 wkly during training with Averitt, $350 wkly with Stevens. Both have five(5) weeks of training with a mentor in the truck. Deliveries in OK, TX and NM with Averitt; with Stevens all 48 states. No Reefer with Averitt which means no early morning loading up and late night driving required. $25 per stop extra with Averitt. $40 for unloading. Most loads are on roller carts. Averitt truck trailer has lift gate and Steven's regular trailers. I think I am leaning towards Averitt. Averitt has automatic trans while Steven's has the usual trans in their tractors. I don't know if that would hurt me in the future. However, I am 60 and don't know how long my "future" will last anyway! Ha, ha! Comments? Thanks! Oh, and it's nice to have more than one option right now.

Davey and CDL

I decided as I stated earlier to re-apply and try again. This was because when I got home and had a couple three weeks to think it over it began to dawn on me that my real problem with the other company I originally stated with was perhaps my trainer and I had a personality conflict. To be sure, I was not a perfect driver but that is the point of the training right? The fellow was a nice guy, but I got yelled at a lot and finally at the end I felt pretty bad. Could not doing anything right and seemed like my former confidence was gone. I see this now looking back. At the time I did not want to rock the boat and hurt the guy and all. I was scared too and so did what I did. This time I see this as this training time in the truck "is my time" and I have to make sure my agenda is fulfilled, so to speak. That is get trained, TAUGHT the stuff instead of being told to just do it and then get scolded or yelled at. Of course I have the CDL, and "know how to do it" but the company has its own SOP on each thing pretty much and so "teach it to me!". I don't know if any of this is making sense. I do not want to be a difficult student but this time if I am taken for granted, or mistreated, or anything like that I am going to try to speak up instead of just quitting. Another thing was we would be driving along and the guy would make personally real negative comments and all about my performance. OK, enough whining! Thank you! This is a new company, different trainger . . . and . . . different student driver. Amen.

Davey and CDL

OK. Things are working out and I report to Steven's Transport this Sunday for Orientation. It's great to be on-board again and I am looking forward to meeting them all in Dallas.

Davey and CDL

Well, I am back and have thought it over some more and want to give it another go. I am trying to apply locally in the oil fields but so far no luck. I don't know where this will take me right now but wish to use my CDL in some form or fashion. I have some local farmers wanting me to drive their "corn" in for them. But that is weeks away and I don't know if I wish to wait around for the corn to ripen, ha, ha. So I have applied with Crete and Schneider and etc., and we will see what develops. It would be neat if I could get an oil field position with Schneider. Thanks for all the encouragement! I looked back over my decision to leave Conway and it was more complicated then I let on. I guess I didn't want to hurt anyone and all, however I know I was not the perfect candidate. Thanks for the encouragement.

Davey and CDL

Thanks Brett! Well, it is now 8/6/13 and I have returned home. I was out on the road for my 10,000 miles of training in truck with a trainer. CTL calls them a "Finisher" and my finisher was a very fine fellow named, Rick. After a week with Rick I told him I was not cut out for this and wished to return to Joplin and eventually sign out and go home. He was disappointed but very good about it all. Conway was also real supportive and just great, to tell you the truth. I found that while in heavy traffic going 60 MPH I could not overcome my fears about navigating this big truck safely. So . . . better to beat a strategic retreat at this time I felt. However, I still have the CDL with all endorsements and will continue to seek some type of driving job. Tomorrow, right here in my own town I have an interview to be a Hot Shot Driver. I live in an area that is very big on gas and oil right now and has been for many years. So there seems to be opportunity here I may be able to tap into. As far as Conway I had a good experience with them even though my time was short. The training was very good and they offer so much support for their drivers. Plus they make it as easy as possible out on the road with the electronic Qualcomm and PrePass, Pike Pass, and etc., etc. The equipment was excellent and I regret the separation but sometimes that's the way it goes. I will tell you after this experience I sure do hold combination truck drivers in a different light! Wow! So all in all it was a great time and I have no regrets. Now, I'll forge ahead and see what life offers. Watch out now in your driving and stay out of any,

Davey and CDL

OK. I spent the day at the Conway HQ here in Joplin. Wow, what a setup. The day started off with the President of the company coming to talk and share with us. I really liked that and he talked mainly about safety and Conway's commitment to safety. We were put up in the Holiday Inn the night before. This afternoon we were transported to Neosho, MO to attend a week of training ("honing our driving skills"). It's probably more like they want to scope us out and our abilities out before they put us in a truck with a trainer for a month or so. Man, I don't blame them and I'd do the same thing especially if I am concerned about safety. We are put up for the week in a real nice motel here in Neosho and all meals are provided and they even gave us $100 bucks for today's "training" at the HQ. I was kind of nervous and wanted to get the morning physical with the Doc over with so I could move on to the agility test. I knew pretty much what the agility test consisted of and knew I would be ok there. On my physical I was worried about my medical history and BP. All was OK though and this went smoothly. The rest of the day was routine paperwork one would expect when being hired into a new job. After our week here in Neosho we will go back to Conway HQ on Mon (received $300 bucks) and there I will find out if I am actually hired. Exciting day to look forward to! I went to Church on Sunday at Northside Assembly of God here in Joplin, MO and it was wonderful. Great worship and ministry and worthy of your visit if you are looking for a Church. Take care and if you are going out driving be sure you don't get into a . . .

Davey and CDL

Dear Brett: Thanks! I plan on doing just that and withhold any rush to judgment. I know I will be able to survive financially and so that will be ok. I mean, sure, I do wish to make $1,000,000.00 first year but I know I probably won't. At any rate I'll be ok in that dept., as I am retired from State of TX and have some nice benefits. So . . . Thanks! Now, this will probably be my last post until I am in orientation/month long driving/training. We are pretty busy getting ready, and doing chores around the place here in Texas. Did I ever tell you that I live in TEXAS?!?? Greatest country in the world. Well, I gotta go rope some steers, and brand some cows, and dehorn some bulls, and . . . (please don't believe that!). Much thanks to all you who have helped me: Brett, Old School, Tim L., and Roadkill. I'll be talking to you in a few days until then watch out you don't get in a . . . .

Davey and CDL

I am sorry, I forgot to say I will put in a req right away to be on a dedicated or regional route.

Davey and CDL

Dear Brett: I took what I could to get in the door and then figured in 6 mths or a year I can put in my req for going to Tankers if they have them. If not, I will decided whether to stay with them or move on to a company that does. However, I may like Conway so much I stay with them. OH, OTR Dry Van.

Davey and CDL

I am at home now up near Amarillo, TX. I was "interviewed" over the phone earlier and Conway has invited me to attend their orientation starting this July 15, 2013. So that is only a few days away so its out of the frying pan and into the fire. Let's see, today is July 8th, so I have 5-6 days to be home and relaxed. We'll probably drive over to Joplin on July 13 or 14th. Probably the 13th in case something happens on the way then I have time to still get there. I am thinking a car breakdown or something??!? Today we received our certificates from Midland College Transportation Department.

Also I attended a class on H2S (Hydrogen Sulfide) safety. This is in RE to working around oil fields and oil wells and hauling oil, water, etc. I went ahead and took it as the dept., offered it there at the college. It was a last minute thing they are starting for all future classes and we (my class) was invited to stay and take it. Thought it would be valuable and look good on my "trucking resume". Man, that H2S is serious and dangerous stuff! You don't want to mess around with H2S. Hazmat fingerprints on Wed and that about does all the prep work for now. Thanks again to Brett and all the Moderators and to this site.

Davey and CDL

Yeah, maybe I can see if I can get my user name changed to that, that is "Traffic Jam". Fun, fun!

Davey and CDL

OK! The day I had trouble shifting/slowing down for turn/looking at EVERYTHING SEEMINGLY COMING AT ME I was real slow and did . . . cause. . . . traffic to pile up behind me. I quickly learned and corrected the situation but did earn that name and it's kind of fun. We had "Rick Chhh Chhh"! and "Mouse" also in the truck.

Truck Driver Pay....Your Missing Point

Yip, I agree. Now I just graduated Trucking School and am waiting to be hired. However, from talking to my instructors and others I feel the way to make money is get out there and work, hustle and be a professional driver. Get the load there on time/early and let dispatch know you are available. Don't gripe or complain, build relationships in the company, plan on staying 1 year at least (me its two years in same company). Just sayin', that's all.

Advice on what to do

Ben: Your parents wish to help you and they won't always be there. This is a one-time thing probably and I know from a parents perspective that they are not against any other plans you might wish to make. They just hope to see their son in a secure situation. Leaving school (a "sure thing" for your future, to them) and going into trucking is probably scary. I advise you to finish what you started. If you leave a habit of walking away from things half-done that will not look good on your resume nor do anything for your self-respect.

In addition, that degree will sure look good when you go to apply to trucking companies when and after you have obtained you CDL. Like the other writer said, Trucking will still be there. Your parents will not always be there. What a blessing to have them pay for your education! Wow! Lot's of folk would love to trade places with you.

It sounds funny, but this would be one of the greatest gifts you could give to your parents. Receive their gift to you and complete the degree.

-Traffic Jam

Starting School on July 8.

Yep. A sentence laid out as nicely as you please. You are in a hurry to get the test done and you don't read the question ALL the way through. ONE word towards the end makes if false or something. Happened to me. Read the entire question and all and have fun.

Davey and CDL

OK, went back to DMV today for last time. Passed the Doubles/Triples and received paperwork for fingerprinting for HazMat. Will do the finger printing on Wednesday and that's it! This Monday is graduation and I hope to hear from one of the companies I applied with this week. Then it's off to the races!

-Dave (Traffic Jam)

Starting School on July 8.

Rolling Thunder: Congrats on going to truck driving school. I am done and waiting for "graduation" this Mon, July 8, 2013. When I was going to come down here to the school I picked up the State of TX Manual and looked at it and thought, "Man, I'll never get all this down." I have never been involved in this type of thing etc. But I did it. I started the High Road training on this site and as you already know it took me right through it all. The other students were asking me how I knew all this and all and I pointed them to TTT and they all started using it too! Advice: when you get discouraged cuz you can't parallel park or something hang in there, it'll come!

-Traffic Jam (you can imagine how I got THAT name)