Comments By Traffic Jam (SunnyWalker.net)

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/truckstop-park.jpg avatar

Prime Inc and sleep apnea

Here is a product that will help you sleep without waking yourself up due to snoring. Go to: Puresleep.com I bought their product and my son did also. It has worked for us and so I pass it on to anyone who cares. this is not an ad though and I am not a part of the company and all. Just a testimonial.

-Traffic Jam

I just start driving truck...and got problem backing..

Yip. I learned the same way years ago. However, in trucking school they wanted my hand on top of the wheel. So I accomodated them and made the change in my mind. However, I think I'll go back to the first method.

-Traffic Jam

Davey and CDL

Thanks everyone! I really enjoyed all the little figures dancing around on the screen! Ha, ha! Again, I'm having a blast and this is a fun experience. I did pass the HazMat test and was really totally focused on that. Thus, the DoublesNTriples went by the wayside. I am planning on returning to DMV on Friday, July 5th to re-take this test. Crete does not recognize any other truck driving school in TX other than the one they have listed. Supposedly, our school is working on this right now (read "paper work and records") to get on their list. When that is done I may be able to get on with them. MEANWHILE I decided to let Werner kind of hang out there (I don't mean that negatively) and have applied with Conway. Looks like this is a go and so it is now a race between Crete and Conway. Now . . . off I go to the High Road training to try to finish up, do reviews and train some more. Thanks Brett and Old School and everyone else. I really appreciate your encouragement and help and it has made a difference.

Davey and CDL

News News: I passed the CDL driving test with 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was very fortunate to have a great instructor and High Road Training on this website! Thanks! (High Road or High Line, anyway . . . its on this site!). I feeeeeeaaaaaaaaal GOOD! Get this: My parallel parking was on the spot! (It worked out even though when I started to pull it out of the box the last student had left it in somehow, accidently the splitter was moved into the up position. So when I started out in 1st I was really in sixth. I instantly felt the engine lug and so stopped, moved the splitter down, went to nuetral, double clutched (want some insurance here). Then put it back in first and went to do do it--WALA!! I was the second student to do this and then drive. I have to say it felt really good to drive down the hwy, make the corners, do it professionally without hitting curbs, crossing lines, etc., etc. I have to say this whole experience was a blast and today was a real blast. Now, tomorrow I will go with the rest of the students back over to DMV. I am going to take the HazMat test and Doubles and Triples test. Then I'll be all tested out (pre-supposing I pass these last two tests). Look out America, here I come!

-Davey (aka, "Traffic Jam" by the other students in our truck. Although I am not causing this anymore).

Davey and CDL

OK, will do! (I actually always think I am right and don't feel I'm guessing! Oh, well!)

Well, today was a good day and we got some real good driving in around Midland. Tomorrow, TOMORROW IS CDL TEST DAY! NO STRESS OR NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I actually feel real well and relaxed about this. After all the driving we have been put through, intersections, situations, hills, freeways, hwys, streets, backing, starting, parking, etc., etc., etc., the DMV test course seems like a piece of cake. Don't get me wrong, I will really be concentrating on doing real well.

Did get some bad news today. Schneider is not hiring from my area or does not have any openings in my area where I live. This is what they say but I saw more than one opening from the Amarillo area. I think they are only considering me for positions that are listed as actually open to student drivers. I saw that some of the listings are like that.

So I am still trying to see if something will come of Crete and then there is always Werner that is waiting in the wings.

OK. Everyone take care and keep me in your thoughts and prayers tomorrow, July 2nd, 2013. I will be at the DMV at 0800 hrs., to be there waiting to test.

-Dave

PS. I can't believe I wrote what I did above. A month ago I showed up for this Truck Driving School class and I did not even know how to turn a tractor on let alone drive it through traffic with a trailer on the back! Wow!

Davey and CDL

Today is Sun and yesterday and today I have been studying on the High Road RE Log books and Haz Mat. The Haz Mat is quite involved. Don't leave studying it to the last minute! -Dave

Trying to get into Queens.

Rand McNally TND GPS Unit

Going to Schneider

Roy E: Congratulations on your achievement! ( am still in Truck Driving School and have applied to Schneider). Hope you have a good experience in orientation and enjoy your time in Green Bay. Does this mean you will be a . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . CHEESEHEAD!!?!?!?!?!??!? (SMILE). If so you can get one of their hats, they look like a block of cheese.

-Dave

Schneider Bulk - Leaving for Training today!

Your posts are interesting to read. Thanks and please keep us posted and good luck!

-Dave

Davey and CDL

Thanks, Brett. It's a blast to read the other diaries also and to see and read of other students experiences. I will tap into that multiple listing/application today. Might as well do it up good!

If you are interested in Midland College at Midland TX here is the skinny on it: -Located in Permian Basin, at Midland, TX. Right now incredible oil company (driving) activity here -Cost to me in tuition: $4100.00 -Month long program -You will have CDL when you complete the course -Accredited program/college -Grads receive a certificate of completion type of document (plus CDL of course from State of TX) -My experience: one week of classroom, the rest driving -I came down the week before to Midland and paid the tuition and inquired and paid for on-campus housing. This was the summer and so that was easy. I also paid for meals in the school cafeteria. If you do this I would recommend you do not pay for the breakfasts as the class is on when breakfast is served and you will miss this meal. The quality of the food has been excellent and I enjoy the cafeteria. I have met many students and the funnest night was when a group of us watched the Spurs loose to the Heat!!!!(OH MAN, OH MAN THAT HURT THIS OLE TEXAN!!!!!!!!) -The cost of the housing and meals was hands down a real buy as the price of a motel room and etc., in this town has escalated really high because of the oil boom and the town doubling in population and again (expected and in process). So you might consider the summer session and get in on that. -the $4100 includes the DOT physical and costs incurred at DMV. -Field training is in Freightliner tractors with 10 speed stick shift. -In the on-campus housing I had a room to myself. It includes a nice bathroom and beds, closet, etc. Of course this being TX it has AC and I have slept just fine. Good study desk and free wireless internet is here also and I am on that right now. My housing unit is across the street from the cafeteria. -Midland College is real friendly and I will have good memories of this place and my experiences. OK, that about does it!

Today is an off day (Sat), study time and work out.

Davey and CDL

I forgot to mention in the post above that the student who parallel parked the truck for the first time is from Ethiopia. There is somewhat of a language problem but this guy is actually an incredible driver. He remembers everything the instructor says and he does not drive with us every day.

I think he will pass this Tuesday also and that will be really a neat opportunity for him. He is lots of fun and today he and I were sitting in the back seat of the Semi and he grabbed the box of paper towels and began to pull on the one sticking out the hole. He pulled and pulled and had about 15 feet out and I said "_____, what are you DOING?!?" He stopped and told me that his hands get sweaty and he wanted to take a towel with him to drive (we were parking and it was his turn). Imagine my laughter and his chagrin! I told him to just rip off a couple and he promptly did and looked at me real sheepishly. Oh I tell ya, this truck driving thing is lots of fun and lots of good friends and memories and I am still in TRUCK DRIVING SCHOOL!!!

Our team even has a chant. Some of it goes like this: "Chhhhh, Chhhhhh! that's our call. Move the shifter through them all!" and so on and so forth. Lots of fun!

-Dave

Davey and CDL

Today we went to drive and this was kind of extra credit. Had a blast and watched one student parallel park the truck using our instructor's method and he did it first try! He was very happy and we all celebrated with high fives! It was a short day today as we just drove from about 6:45-11:00 AM.

This was a good day for my driving also. I parallel parked it great and my shifting was AWESOME DUDE!!

This evening I went to a outdoor concert in downtown Midland, TX at a nice park there. It was Benny and the Jets and it was an awesome and enjoyable concert. Fun! There were many people there and two of us truck driving students myself, and another and his spouse, and our instructor and his spouse. Benny did it up good and we all thought he was Elton John up there on the stage.

The Midland College Transportation program (Truck Driving School) is adding a defensive driving class to the Truck Driving School that all classes will take after this. I learned this today and it sounds like it will add more quality and substance to the classes on Truck Driving. Perhaps I can return to take this portion of the class also. I think it would be pretty good. We were driving one day and my instructor remarked how I covered the brake pedal at many intersections, etc., when cars where present to pull out and all. So they are aware of this and looks like it will be a real nice addition for future classes.

Brett and gang: I submitted two apps today as I am in my last few days of the school. One to Crete and one to Schneider. My back up is Werner who has already accepted me with a pre-approval for orientation after the school is over with. I hope one of these two will consider me seriously to drive for them.

I have been studying the log book portion of the High Road training and I have to tell you it is just terrific. It includes explanations on hours of service also and I really appreciate it all. This week I hope to return to the HazMat portion also and really go over it so I am read for Tues test at our local DMV. Here in TX we are required to wait to take the HazMat endorsement until we pass our CDL driving test. This I hope to do on Tuesday!! Glory!

Thanks again to Brett and this website for all the encouragement, help and training!

-Dave

Davey and CDL

Thanks Old School! Was planning to make that the first thing on the list for log book. If I get it there I will stop with it and it'll probably be real good. Will look at it and study it tonight.

Today we were out on the roads and I drove on I-20, on hwys, roads and streets. At the end of the day I drove the truck into Midland and onto Midland College campus and Wow! First one to do that! It was kind of neat! We had Pizza in Big Spring today for lunch and did a lot of shifting practice on the hills and such. Cornering is coming along and when the entire day was over and we left it felt good. I then drove over, along with a couple of Coca-Colas(!!) to the DMV and went over and over the course that is laid out for obtaining one's CDL. We have drove it and will do so some more but I wanted to reinforce the streets and all. I am not from Midland and it is not my "enviroment" and so wanted to really scope it out on my own. Hey, its all about "setup" right?!??

If you come to Midland College at Midland, TX for a CDL and the Truck Driving School I can recommend it to you. All the instructors do a fine job at teaching. I have had "Bryan" and do not have any interaction in the truck with any of the other instructors. Bryan has been very professional, thorough and complete and so I recommend him to you if you are planning on coming to Midland College.

This week the Director of the Truck Driving School asked us all over to the main bldg., at lunch time and we looked at a hugh simulator they are going to put in place. It was real fun when our instructor got in the drivers seat. We kind of yelled out, "Right, right! RIGHT! MY RIGHT NOT YOUR RIGHT! MORE RIGHT!!" etc. Ha, ha, it was fun. The simulator seat would move and shake and stuff like that and so it seemed as if you were really in a truck. It could be programmed to put you into a skid, in snow and ice, summer hot weather, etc. pretty interesting machine. I asked the Director what the thing cost and it ought to be pretty good, the price was pretty good! (as in real huge price).

OK. thati's it for today. Today was Tuesday and I have tommorow and Thurs and week 3 will be complete. Week 4 is only Mon and Tue so here we go!!!!

-Dave

My turn

Roy E.: hey I am applying to Schneider also and so would love to continue to read about your experience. I hope you'll continue to post here. Thanks and good luck!

-Dave

Davey and CDL

Today was the 2nd day of the third week of our Truck Driving School here at Midland College, Midland, TX. Our instructor took us out on the freeway and Hwy. We also spent some time on some back roads practicing dock parking. We also did a lot of shifting today over and over again and went up and down some hills near Big Spring, TX. This was a simulation of large hills and to get some idea of the needs for these types of situations. All in all I thought I did real good and have come quite a ways since the first days of classes and driving. Now I am pretty confident on parallel parking, dock parking, straight-line backing, setting up for various situations, sizing up traffic and cornering needs. Of course I recognize I am quite inexperienced and hope when I get on with a company I will be match with a good mentor for a few weeks.

I had high hopes for Crete but I don't think its going to work out. They sing a good song on their web site about student drivers but in the end only accept students from the schools they "recognize" (have some kind of deal with). Ours is not on the list so that's probably out. Next is Schneider which I think will just be fine and so hope something comes of that opening.

I talked to one of the Schneider recruiters today and they asked me to submit an application a week before our school is finished so this Friday(6/28/13) I'll forward a app. If worse comes to worse, ha, ha, I'll take the Werner pre-approved orientation approval and go with them and not look back. I figure wherever I go I am going to stay with them for at least one year. After that I will evaluate where I am with the company, pay, benefits, etc. But until then I am going to hustle and do my best to be the best little truck driver they ever had.

I continue to make mistakes on my log and this kind of worries me. I am going to be looking at lessons on log keeping wherever I can find them. Maybe some extra tutoring will help. It's funny, at first glance the log book seems about the simplest form I have ever filled out! Oh well. I think there is some stuff on this on this site and so will look around and read and study it and also go to Youtube. I know there is some on there. The reason I put it off is that it is just not the most exciting video to watch. I mean, you go to Youtube and between the videos on different companies and all the reviews and truck wrecks by the time I work through those I am tooooooo sleepy.

Here is a question and I ask it because I will probably face this in the near future. What are the four most important things to remember when it comes to working with/for a mentor/trainer driver for the duration of the company "training"?

Thanks.

-Dave

Tools for the truck?

My instructor (I am currently enrolled in Truck Driving School at Midland College at Midland, TX) told me today that when I make up a "kit" to throw in a chain and strap and hookie thing that can be placed on the front of some tractors (if mine is set up that way) for towing. SO, if I am in a bind in a parking lot or something of that nature I can get a friendly other truck driver to give em a tow out of the spot. This is because every time you call the company for something like that it goes down as some kind of "incident" and then eventually this can work against you. This was just a suggestion and I thought it sounded pretty good. -Dave

My Journey to a New Life As An OTR Trucker Begins

Dear Tim: Here at Midland College it is a four week course of study.

I enjoy reading your posts and hope you will continue to share your experiences here on Truckingtruth.com Man, you might see a big difference when you go to class. My experience was that many of the others were struggling with Combinations, General Knowledge, and Air Brakes and I sailed through these tests. And then the one on Tankers I came away thinking it was "childs play". The training here was what did it and this gave me a lot of confidence AND made it more fun! You gotta have fun!!!

Good luck to you Tim! I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

-Dave

Davey and CDL

Thanks Brett. I have calls into Crete and Schneider. I also have a pre-approval for orientation upon completion of Truck Driving School/CDL from Werner.

Today we did more driving around town with emphasis on shifting (coming along great!) and cornering and some practice on parallel parking (I put it right in there!!!). My area of concern right now is cornering and cornering in traffic! Wow! That is a biggie!!! Making the turn without clipping the imaginary vehicle! Whew, sweat, sweat, concentrate!

But I am having a blast and we are all doing real well in the truck. The instructor is just a heck of a fellow and he is real good at what he does and is real encouraging.

Today after lunch we were out in the parking lot and us three where in our truck and we looked out at the semi next to us and saw it was on fire! So we all jumped out and three fire extinguishers later and a lot of water and it was out. We separated the tractor from the trailer, by . . . get this . . . pushing it! Ha, ha! Never thought a bunch of guys could push a Semi Tractor!

Well, that's all for today and I appreciate everything Truckingtruth has helped me with and given to me. I will always give credit compliments to this site. And I am not through using it and am planning on starting a review tomorrow and also wish to start to study the HazMat portion in a serious fashion.

Thanks again, Brett!

-Dave

Good riddance, Texas!!!!

TEXAS is a great Country to drive in! I feel sorry for you folk who have to drive in the USA. Come on over to Texas and drive!!!!!!!

Smile!!!

Whahoooooooooooooooooooo!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaawwwwwwww!!

How 'But Them Cow-BOYS!!!?!?!???

This is their year!

(We thought the Spurs were going to pull it out of the hat, oh well. We still have to Rangers to go GET 'EM AND GO FOR THE WORLD SERIES. YEEEEHAAAAAWWWWWW 2013!!!!!!!!

-Dave

Davey and CDL

Well, it was explained to our class that the oil field cannot get enough drivers and so are taking on "student drivers".

Brett: I read your information on how to obtain info on the company's safety and compliancy records for various things via their Motor Carrier Number on the FMSCA website. I looked up five different companies and found that the company with the best "grade" was Schneider.

Unsafe driving: 8.5% HOS compliance: 7.7% Driver Fitness: 37.8% Con. Subs/Alcohol: 0% Vehicle maint.: 41.8%

Could the number for Cont subs/alcohol be because of them letting these drivers go? I mean, it seems quite remarkable to me that they would have ZERO drivers with problems in this area? If a company had any amt in this category would that then mean that they retain the driver?

Thanks! -Dave PS. I compared Schneider to Crete, Covenant, Swift, Werner. Schneider beat them all easily.