Profile For Stacy R.

Stacy R.'s Info

Fort Wayne, IN

Preparing For School

6 years, 11 months ago

Stacy R.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Hours per day?

How many hours a day do you work on average. Not max hours but in a normal 7 day week. Thanks for the input.

Hours per day?

How many hours do you work total including driving a day?

CDL Training (Roehl Specifically)

Is there anything I should know about the exams for Wisconsin? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as my new journey will be starting soon.

You will take your written CDL permit test in your state. Roehl will give you an open book written test and then Roehl will give your a CDL style road test and they will give you your CDL in WI. Then you need to transfer it to your home state when you go home before you head out on your own.

Here is info about your 3 weeks at RDTC

WEEK 1 (Monday–Saturday) Every journey begins with a first step. Yours will begin the first day when you get behind the wheel with an RDTC certified experienced instructor right beside you. During your first week, you will learn how to safely operate a truck and trailer in a controlled, range environment and on public roadways. We have a Range course to get you started and plenty of rural roads to help you develop your skills before we move the training into a more traffic populated environment. You'll learn how to complete a full pre-trip inspection to ensure your truck and trailer are in working order, safe to operate, and meets the federal requirements of all equipment traveling the roadway. Homework and training assignments will focus on motor carrier regulations, safety and some of the basic mechanical systems of a diesel truck and trailer. We'll work towards training you and getting you prepared to test for your CDL. Our goal is to train you to be a safe, competent, professional over-the-road driver in Roehl's fleet.

WEEK 2 (Monday–Saturday) You'll be surprised by how much you've already learned after just one week in RDTC's training environment. In the second week, your driving skills and knowledge will quickly advance. You'll refine driving skills and learn how to manage your vehicle in close-quarter areas giving you the self-confidence to handle your truck and trailer around other motorists you share the roads with. Given more instruction and practice driving, you'll work on forward motion skills and further develop your shifting by learning accelerated shifting techniques. Using the Range, we'll introduce you to a variety of backing and turning maneuvers. During this week, the roads you will drive on are within the city limits and more challenging. In this environment you need to know what's happening at all times. You will need to bring all of your learning together - shifting, turning, backing and visually scanning your driving environment paying close attention to the motorists sharing the roads with you. It's not just about you, when you're a professional driver you have to consider the actions of others and anticipate what they might do. RDTC cares about everyone's safety and well being, we need you to as well.

WEEK 3 (Monday–Friday) By the third week, you'll know your way around a truck, know how to identify common mechanical repairs, shift like a pro and understand how to safely handle your vehicle under various road and traffic conditions. But, there's more to being a professional driver than that. So, during this week, we will put more concerted focus on the other responsibilities of an over-the-road driver. Federal, state, local regulations - if you are driving you are responsible for knowing and meeting all of them. We train you by spending time learning the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations and the national network of highways. You'll learn about the Hours of Service Regulations, how to effectively and legally trip plan, review permitting and required documents. You'll learn The Roehl Way of Protective Driving along with the policies and procedures that lead to driver success with Roehl. Classroom lessons and homework will have you planning trips and completing various regulatory assignments. And, there's still behind the wheel time so you can refine your driving skills and validate that you are ready to take the next step in your career as a safe, prepared and confident professional driver.

Knight Transportation

That seems really low and fair. Most say NO or want $1000

SHOES vs BOOTS? What type of foot ware do you use?

What type of foot ware do you use? I have seen people in pictures on company websites and youtube videos wearing tennis shoes, cowboy boots and steel toe boots. If you are driving 8-10 hours Dry Van or Reefer what would be best?

Dot physical

I will try that next week. I will be sure to measure blood pressure each day before I go then work out the day of the DOT exam and see what the results are. I was hoping there was an over the counter option to help just in case blood pressure is border line.

Dot physical

In January I went to my regular doctor for DOT physical and got a 2 year medical card. Now I just got hired by a company and they surprised me with a new physical (right after buffet lunch with all the soda I wanted, 100degree motorcycle ride to the clinic, knowing my new career balanced on this) and my blood pressure was high, so I got a 90 day medical card.

Are there non prescription medicines that can lower blood pressure just a little? I think they said I was 150/95. Is morning better than afternoon for blood pressure? What can I do, short of buying expensive prescriptions for the rest of my life, to get my blood pressure down for a follow up measurement?

Going for my DOT in ten days also. Would like to lower blood pressure before I even go there. I know to cut out salt and sugar 4 days in advance and I am starting to walk 20 mins a day but over the counter to help would be great.

Thanks

Question About Starting New Life on the Road

I've heard that they are well secured but don't know myself. I am currently trying to decide what to do with my car. I'm not worried much about security, but am concerned about it sitting for long periods of time not being used. I think I will leave it with mu mom to drive every week or so to keep it moving.

I thought about that problem too. A good battery should hold a charge for a month I would think.

I leave my 2002 Jeep for 3 moths at a time parked outside and it starts every time right away. I do put a sun shield in the window and be sure to unplug GPS or anything you may have plugged in.

Sleeper Size, Comfort and Tractor Performance Questions.

I have similar questions too. I was just approved to go with PRIME for the training to get my CDL and they will pay $600 a week while in training then .41 mile plus fuel bonus after that. They will pay for my school also as long as I stay 1 year or cover 1/2 of schooling $1500 if I stay 6 months.

The catch. I have to use the eco 49 and the smaller cabin truck. Being new I don't know one truck from another except what I read online. Seems like GREAT PAY and maybe worth it to get trained and make good money then after a year find the local or regional etc that has the trucks and home time I hope for.

Still thinking of Celadon, Roehl and Prime and open for others for now. I plan to start training in July or August. Applying to all right now and talking to recruiters weekly and keeping notes.

This site is by far the best I have been on. ONE request would be to be able to search posts etc.

Thanks

Driving Record over 13 years ago!

Thanks for the replies,

I am not worried about it anymore. I am getting it sealed/removed etc.

Already accepted by PRIME for starters. This is after they looked at my MVR and Criminal history. $600 week to train then .41 mile while I get my first 6 months experience in but would try to stay a year if I start with them. A little worried about the eco 49 and the smaller cabin to sleep in but only for a year tour if I go there.

I am applying with Maverick, Celadon, Roehl, Knight, Stevens and Central to keep my options open. My goal is to get the best training I can and work 1 year doing whatever I need to do for experience then after I know more about what I like and don't like I can look for a regional or local company that pays good and has home time etc.

I would really like to hear which companies may be best for me based on what you know.

Thanks again

Knight reefer drivers?

Hi Crazy Rebel,

Did you go to a private CDL school or a company training school to begin with? Did you drive for someone else before Knight? I have heard that some company schools will train you then give you the miles until after you complete time with your trainer then they cut your miles because they need to keep the new drivers busy.

I just had Prime call me to join them in their reefer division starting at $600 week for 6 weeks then .41 mile with 2300-2600 miles a week.

I was thinking dry van originally and Knight was my first choice.

Thanks for your input and help

Driving Record over 13 years ago!

Hi Bret,

I do not have any DUI's ever and not even ticket since the accident 13 years ago. The hit skit as I mentioned (the parked car 5 houses from mine) and I did not take a breath test when asked (thinking I was innocent until proven guilty etc. WRONG on my part)

I just think it's strange for a company to not hire because you failed to take a breath test even when not found guilty afterwards over 13 years ago. But the same company will hire you if you have up to 2 DUI's as long as they are over 5 years old.

I am going to pay the $100 to remove it from my record and then I can say "I never had a ticket of any kind"

Thanks for your insight. I love this site and think it's a great resource for anyone interested in trucking.

Knight reefer drivers?

Hi Michael,

I am looking into Knight as well. I spoke with a recruiter today and let them know what I was looking for and they seem to always say "YES, YES, YES!" to everything I ask for. It would be great if a few drivers from Knight would see this post and reply. Best info is from current drivers and NOT the former drivers with a grudge.

Best of luck to you,

Stacy

Driving Record over 13 years ago!

Hello Everyone!

I am just starting my schooling for my CDL and thought I would get a pre hire letter today.

Need help and info. I had a hit skip over 13 years ago (hit a parked car on my street then walked home). Also, I did not take a breath or blood test at the time. No DUI. Fine was $332.00 and not even a speeding ticket since. I spoke with CRST today and they will not hire me. IF I would have had a DUI over 5 years ago I would be fine he said. But refusing to test over 13 years ago and I can't get a job?

Is there other companies that use common sense in this matter? 2 DUI's are OK as long as you don't have 3.

Please help with ideas etc. One person suggested that I get my record sealed/expunged for $100 at the local court house. I think I am going to pay it to get it done but it just seems like there is something wrong with the logic.

Thank you for your help and advice in this,

Stacy