Comments By John M.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/freightliner-trucks-classic.jpg avatar
  • John M.
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Opinion on driving a fuel tanker truck right out of cdl school?

Saw the video Brett posted, I would never want to drive a chem tanker, let alone doubles... Why is double fuel tankers even a thing... I guess you could say I'm.... baffled by this... get it? But seriously.. just no

Well I’m in!

Good luck!!good-luck-2.gifdancing-banana.gif

Hey old school

Thanks for that article about prudence, was a good and eye opening read, I've had some minor close calls but hearing others incidents just reminds me that I'm not super driver and that anything can happen and to always stay alert, I appreciate the article.

smile.gif

New Truck

I dig those red trucks. Got a brand new Cascadia myself. The engine brakes are amazing. No brakes needed on any grades I've been on.

So jelly...

National Carriers

Who told you that about Schneider? The recruiter and Saftey at Werner told me the same thing and my first trainer slept the first day with me in the truck behind the wheel, which was day two with him. Now I say that with him being a 20 year vet and i guess he felt comfortable enough around me driving to do it, my second trainer did also bit atleast knew I knew what I was doing for he most part but with either of them they where a yell away, now I ve spoken to alot of trainers that do that where the first two weeks is them watching and so on and if I decide to go that route that's how I'm going to train but honestly take things said about companies I've learned with a grain of salt because and 5his is just my opinion but what someone should do and actually does is two different things sometimes with that said I ve loved my time at Werner and I'm still living it my fleet managers of the two I've had one being the temp 90 day one and my current are amazing and my second trainer was also first not so much though he was quite knowledgeable and a good safe driver and i learned and took what i could from him, he and I didn't jive personality wise and it got to me badly to the point I almost quit but I kept on trucking (get it?) And got another and the second and I clicked very well, we even liked the same music, what are the odds but either way I hope you come give Werner a shot if you've any other questions Id be happy to answer them

Eating Healthy While OTR

Since you are mentioning Lithia Springs you are obviously in the Atlanta area frequently. I am pretty familiar with most of the food distribution warehouses and recycling centers in the area. As well as the paper product distribution warehouses and janitorial supply places. There are some who will give you the official "you can't park here". But as long as you mind your p's and q's, stay out of sight out of mind, you can get away with parking.

Na, it's just my home terminal location, if I stay there at all I'm at the Werner terminal I ve only been there two or three times in six months, so many places I've been over the last few months, never been happier with a job before also in keeping with this topics thingy may I suggest op getting an iceless cooler from colemen, absolutely love mine, I abuse it as a fridge though, I keep milk for cereal and lunch meat as well as drinks in it, they cost about 100 or so and trust me when I say you make time for a shopping run, when I get low on supplies I tend to get cranky for some odd reason.

STUDENT: Observations after 3 weeks of CDL School With Swift Transport

To be fair that is kinda gross about the sheets, atleast in a hotel and did you atleast roast some marshmellows.. if not you wasted fire...

Eating Healthy While OTR

You know pat, I really was happier not knowing what those where before you told me... and yeah they've ruined it at shippers and reciver I've noticed out here alot of them won't let us stay the night, I really don't understand how hard it is to put your trash and if you make trucker bombs in a trash bag and leave it in the truck till you find a dumpster or a truck stop with trash cans around... I keep garbage bags in the truck for my trash, the big ones and just throw em out when I find a dumpster or a can... it really isn't that hard and most of the Wal-Mart's I've been to don't mind you staying for a spell, only one I've found that is ragey is Lithia springs GA's Wal-Mart is a 2 hour limit.

National Carriers

I can try to help with any questions you may have with Werner, alsocongrats on the cdl!

smile.gif

Night Driving tips

Also, to preserve night vision, wear sunglasses when you need to go into a truck stop or office at night. (Take 'em off once you're outside - yaknowwhatImean?)

I wear my sun glasses at night, so I can so I caaaan

106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses. Hit it!

Yay blues brothers, and good luck on OD, how's it pull in doubles?

Night Driving tips

I wear my sun glasses at night, so I can so I caaaan

Recovering an abandoned tractor/trailer

The hell are preloaded trucker bo.... you know on second thought I probably don't want to know..

Recovering an abandoned tractor/trailer

Here's an interesting story about an abandoned truck that I recovered.

The truck was parked at the TA truck stop (no longer there now) near Roanoke VA. The guy left all his stuff in the truck - clothing, food, tools, medications, and even his C. B. Radio.

My dispatcher told me the guy had got mad and quit about five weeks ago. I asked, "What am I supposed to do with all this stuff in the truck?" He said, "That guy obviously doesn't want it, so just clean it out and throw it in the dumpster at the truck stop. I'll give you $150 X-pay for your trouble."

I threw away much of the stuff, and then went and got the mechanics from the TA shop and let them fight over the stuff like tools, C.B., and work boots, most of which was very usable.

That truck became my first solo truck at Western Express. About two months later I get a call from a different dispatcher telling me the guy who had abandoned that truck was coming back to work for them and he wanted to get his "stuff" back out of the truck!

Sometimes bizarre things happen in this job. I am still puzzled to this day how any driver would think he can just up and leave without notice, leaving all his property in the company's truck at a remote location unrelated to the company, then several months later waltz right back into the job and expect another driver to be preserving his "stuff" for him to retrieve.

I'm surprised they even hired him back...

Our First Weekly *Ask Me Anything Friday*

Do you have your own truck Brett or no and if so what kind? And what do you do now for work? I ask because since having started trucking I cant see myself doing anything else save for heavy equipment operator IE: bulldozers, trackhoe and such and still have the love for the job and enjoyment of it also that I do doing this, so I suppose it's more of do you find what you do now as enjoyable and fulfilling as trucking is?

G-town.

G-town let me first start out by apologizing about that comment on the other post which I think was removed as I couldn't find it, it was not my intent to upset or offend you or anyone else, I realize now after the fact that it was more in poor taste then funny, it was something I saw and atleast chuckled at and for some reason thought I'd share, my sense of humor is rather for lack of a better term dark, I tend to laugh at just about anything my way of coping with just about any situation, not an excuse but more of an explanation. Agian I'd like to apologize for it and I tried to message you personally but either I'm an idiot or the mobile or site itself lacks a messaging feature. At the end of the day we are all truckers and brothers and sisters of the road and I've a great respect for many of the folks on here and don't want you or anyone else to have any bad blood or anything between us and I hope my apologizing makes that apparent and I also don't want you or anyone to think that I do not take this profession and what we do seriously, safety is a huge concern of mine.

Level one dot inspection

What is even better than passing the inspection is never getting one.

The easiest thing to do to avoid getting pulled aside while going through the weigh stations is simply keep the dashboard spotless. No food, paperwork, or trash.

A lot of companies offer things like $25 for a clean inception, but honestly I would pay $25 myself to not be inspected.

I keep my dash spotless save for a note pad that slides down on its own and a window visor thingy that sticks to my driver side window to keep the sun out that rolls up for easy storage

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Why don't reefer units require DEF fluid

Why don't reefer units require DEF fluid?

Or was this just another silly Ca/EPA law with a big hole in it?

Asking the real questions, lol I was wondering that myself, thank you

Level one dot inspection

Be proud of it. Congratulations.

Thanks!

Level one dot inspection

Had my first obe today, first ever inspection, both my truck and trailer passed inspection, got a nice little sticker on the windshield to prove it, is it normal to smirk stupidly when I look at it? Also it was as I was coming Into California on I-15

Companies who use automatic trucks based in Los Angeles, CA

Werner has a terminal in Fontana we might have what your looking for