Profile For Auntie Am

Auntie Am's Info

Jacksonville, FL

Preparing For School

3 years, 7 months ago

Auntie Am's Bio

My name is Amber and I'm based out of Jacksonville, Florida. I have a family history of manufacturing, construction and trucking. Currently still trying to get into better shape before I attempt entering the field. Disappointed because it isn't going as fast as I would like, but I have no intention on giving up.

Game: Lies other trucking sites told me

I can demolish a person or SUV if need be hahaha.

Sounds like my kind of perspective! lol and I understand what you mean. As someone preparing for school I've read A TON of horror stories. I think it has only gotten worse nowadays. Everyone is so skiddish of their neighbors/acquaintances that they trust no one or would even give them a chance to prove themselves. In all reality, sure things can happen and you should always be aware of your surroundings truck driving or not, but most people are out there to do their dang job. It reminds me of those "strong manly men" who say things like "if you're gay it's fine, but don't hit on me!" sorry dude you might think your some hot sh*t but you probably aren't their type. Which brings me back to some of the females who post those things. I think some of the women are the type that think they are some hot piece of booty and ANY look or sigh of breath in their general direction makes them think that someone is trying to put the moves on them. As a female myself.... it annoys the holy living bejeebus out of me the way some females act nowadays and I am sure I tend to annoy a few too lol

Penny's Greenville Tech Diary

Found your diary and sad to see it hasn't been updated after a few days. I hope everything is going well for you!

I did it!!!!!

Congrats!!!

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

DOT Whisper Test

Thanks for the responses! I can hear normal conversations with mostly no issue, it's mostly my husbands voice that I have the issue with, ha! I don't think I've met someone with a flat voice like his! I can hear birds sing far off, sirens off in the distance, pretty much normal every day stuff. I just don't want to mess up on the whisper test.

DOT Whisper Test

So I've been losing weight to get ready for school and I've incorporated the tests that would be performed during the DOT exam. The problem I am having is the whisper test. The only one I have around to do a forced whisper is my husband. He has a GA accent but it's a little more monotone lol I can hear him whispering but I can't make out what he says all the time at 5 feet. I know the language in the books says "perceive a forced whisper" does that mean I need to understand exactly what is being said or just that I can hear it? (wishful hoping good-luck-2.gif ). Thanks everyone!

Household Engineer breaks into Over the road trucking who'da thunk it?!

Trucking companies are looking for people who know how to work. Your work history helps describe you as a worker.

Months of "unemployed" are telling. But so is "volunteered at a shelter for 6 months before I applied for a trucking job". Family care (including kids!) also shows the needed responsibility and commitment.

Thanks Errol. Seeing as the animal shelter closed down (I've only volunteered for mega adoption events since) and I do not know what happened to the staff there, I will start looking for more opportunities. I'd hate to have to get a job just to tell them months down the line, "Hey I'm quitting, here's my notice, I am leaving for school!" Even if it is part time employment, I can't bring myself to do that to an employer whether I dislike the work/employees or not. I do not like burning bridges so to speak.

Household Engineer breaks into Over the road trucking who'da thunk it?!

shocked.png Howdy Howdy! First of all I want to commend each and every one of you out on the road for all that you go through and provide to us Americans! For the Past probably ten or more years I have been the mom who takes care of it all.. The driving, the laundry, paying the bills and so much more that I forgot about my wants and desires.. I also grew up around trucks! Infact I think I may have been born in one LOL.. Back in Elementary school my Dad's Peterbilt was the coolest show and tell in all of Idaho. I have often been a tag a long during summer months and Christmas vacations.. but that was so many moons ago but a girl never forgets! That being said Here I am almost 43 Kids all grown up and nothing to do but be bored all day long and research trucking companies. I am so ready to take that plunge.. I went and got my permit a few months ago not knowing where I would go.. but here the dilemma arises.. I don't have a work history to report much of there were a few jobs I tried but the family dynamic wouldn't allow for it. So when they require 3 years or even 10 years what do I say? what do I write? How is it verified? anyone in a similar situation? How did you resolve it? What companies were ok with it? I live in Oregon please advise and please keep trucking I admire each one of you!! thank-you.gif

I am in the same boat as you work history wise. In 2012 I was a volunteer at an animal adoption center (on the weekends unless there was a big event) before they shut down (also stay at home mom), 2013 I was a cashier (2 weeks after hiring I found out I was pregnant, surprise surprise!) and worked 8 months. Since then I am back to being a stay at home mom. I will follow your thread, hopefully I can get a few answers as well!

Weapons in cab?

Whoops wrote that in the quote lol but I think you'd get the gist of it.

Weapons in cab?

Zach says:

Which law is this, Zach? Suppose you were stopped by an officer and you had to explain this law. "Sir, there's this law, see?" won't cut it. You have hearsay there.

I believe the provision he speaks of is a part of the Firearms Owners Protection Act. I read about it a few days ago in Overdrive magazine and even they say if it's an o/o it's up to you if you want to take the risk. They also say if it's company policy you still run the risk of being fired. According to FOPA, NRA and Overdrive, "Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Ammunition that is either locked out of reach in the trunk or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console is also covered.

Travelers should be aware that some state and local governments treat this federal provision as an “affirmative defense” that may only be raised after an arrest. All travelers in areas with restrictive laws would be well advised to have copies of any applicable firearm licenses or permits, as well as copies or printouts from the relevant jurisdictions’ official publications or websites documenting pertinent provisions of law (including FOPA itself) or reciprocity information. In the event of an unexpected or extended delay, travelers should make every effort not to handle any luggage containing firearms unnecessarily and to secure it in a location where they do not have ready access to it. " (https://www.nraila.org/articles/20140630/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation)

"A provision under FOPA was that persons traveling from one place to another cannot be incarcerated for a firearms offense in a state that has strict gun control laws if the traveler is just passing through (short stops for food and gas), provided that the firearms and ammunition are not immediately accessible, that the firearms are unloaded and, in the case of a vehicle, locked in a separate storage area." (http://www.overdriveonline.com/navigating-gun-laws-for-truckers/)

I think it comes down to, do you want to risk it? I was tempted to carry while OTR but if it's so much hassle, I think I'd settle for the tire thumper for now.

Got My CDL....finally!

Congrats! Glad to hear you were able to continue with PAM! good-luck.gif

Time is finally here.

Good luck and PLEASE post! I am one of those lurkers that Errol speaks of lol smile.gif

Info on ptl

Sorry Recruitment info was from Rico and the diary was from Scott B...... BRETT I NEED an edit button, my fingers type and click submit faster than my brain is willing to say, "Hey I need to preview what I write!" rofl-3.gif .

Info on ptl

Sorry forgot to mention I could only find info for the KY location.

Info on ptl

I did a search on the forums and found this and it does mention a few things that may give you the info you are searching for.

Recruitment Info

PTL Diary

Both are done by a driver named Rico.

Today Tractor Man is HAPPY MAN!

I just wanted to stop in and say CONGRATS TRACTOR MAN!

Backing AGAIN!

Also Bobby! I know when I go for schooling backing/shifting will be my issues. If you haven't already, definitely check out Youtube videos! Some will tell you step by step as well as any "sweet spots" for knowing when to turn your wheel.

Backing AGAIN!

Mostly just for my friend Daniel B, here is a photo of what Bobby is referring to as a phone booth. Back before the days when every poor man on the streets had a hand held communication device in his hands, this is how we managed to make a phone call when we were on the road. Ahhhh, the good old days!

20130717_062136.jpg

We don't have booths anymore but we still have the payphones on the side of some gas stations here in Florida. At least my area lol I'm *only* 27 but I remember having to use them lol I haven't seen a Shoney's down here in forever!

CDL Permit

Thanks for the responses! I am from Florida and the man at the tax collector/dmv couldn't tell me if FL even HAD a permit! I also messaged a driver on here but he has yet to get back to me (he is settling into his new place of employment so no worries). It's good to know 6 months seems to be the length. Thanks again everyone!

TDI Driving School

5000 miles with a trainer, then 40,000 miles with another rookie. How smart is that? Put 2 brand new drivers in a truck together then watch them on satellite and get a good laugh. Hey, hey , watch what they do now. They'll n we ever figure this one out. Damon, the phones ringing, I'll bet ill bet it's them...lol

That's hilarious, thanks for the visual! Good luck on the rest of your CDL training!

CDL Permit

How long are CDL permits usually valid for? I was thinking I'd like to get it and my DOT physical done a week before I start school. Do you think this would be a problem?