Comments By Last Shadow

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/red-truck-nose.jpg avatar

Reefer or Dry Van

I think the pay and the insurance package for each company is different not by much in some, however my I get .47 cpm and 99.00 insurance mileage is between 2300-to 3200 if you run hard.

Been with this company (Dry van) a little over a year now and the cpm is to .48 but their mileage has been short to mediocre w avg. of 2300 miles per week. Their insurance is running $200 per week.

Reefer company I'm thinking of is offering start pay of . 43 cpm w/ $32.00 per week foe insurance.

Any comments will be welcomed

Working for TMC

Charlie, I don't drive for TMC, I drive for Shaffer, anywho I'm sure if you call their recruiters they can give you all the answers you're looking for, I'm sure we have TMC drivers here in TT but sometimes the answers take a bit, good luck brother.

Hey I'm thinking about going to work for TMC. What can y'all tell me about this company? I am looking for the good, the bad and the ugly. I also am looking for information on their trucks and policy on idealing or Apu usage. Thank yall in advance for all of your help.

Broken into my truck question

Thanks didn't know that.

If you have a homeowner's or renter's policy, your GPS will be covered, minus the deductible. Most people have a $500 deductible, so probably not worth it. Some have a $250 deductible, and I remember we had policies in some states with $100 deductibles.

Anyway, if you ever get cleaned out and have a policy, that policy covers all of your stuff, whether it's in your house/apartment, storage, car, truck, hotel room, wherever. Renter's policies are usually under $100 a year. Bonus: most companies will give you a discount on your car insurance if you have a renter's or homeowner's policy.

Time for Change

Gladhand, good luck on your future endeavors.

Don't know necessarily if I should post this, but felt the need to update. Things have been going alright, but after doing otr for a little more than a year, I am kind of over it. The romance of it all has come to an end. So now I am planning to go back to doing Wal-Mart as a surge driver and just work on saving money up for future plans.

I love that I have got to see the country for the most part. It's an experience I'll remember for a long time. Now I want to go back to being able to do some basic things that I can't quite do on the road.

I highly recommend people do otr for at least a year. The experience alone is well worth it.

Broken into my truck question

Thanx that's awesome to know.

I highly, highly doubt there will be any repercussions against you. It's something that's completely out of your control.

You weren't moving, heck you weren't even in the truck!

Insurance covers these things. The only reason you need to speak to risk management is so they can get the details about what happened, then the company will file a claim to get the window fixed. Unfortunately, your gps won't be covered so you'll be responsible for replacing it.

And yes, this does happen. It's not incredibly common, but it does happen. And it could have been much worse, as in multiple broken windows and all of your belongings stolen.

Broken into my truck question

So this morning at a Pilot TS went to take a shower to start the day n when I got back my passenger side wing window was broken and my gps which was not in plain view and some spare change was stolen, patch the window and send a mssg to my asset manager, he replied with a call risk management, I followed instructions and was told to take pictures and send it with my incident report number, my question is this, is it like an avoidable accident where I get assessed points right? Any input will be appreciated, never heard of a truck being broken into before, you guys ?

Schneider Whirlpool Dedicated

Keep rolling brother it ain't no thing but a chicken wing.

The north liberty DC is a tight mess. I had to drop a trailer there several days ago.. They had gotten in an astronomical 1600 trucks that day. They only had 2 spots available for me to drop my load and they were horribly tight. I managed to get it in there, despite the crooked ass mess on each side. It was so tight I had to crawl under the adjacent trailer to drop the landing gear.

Started Truck Driver Training School Today!

Welcome, remember everything that will worried you in the next few weeks will become second nature, I have been driving for 11 months now I took a 4 month break in between, but it will all work its self out, stay motivated and due a real strict research on whatever company you will start with, don't leave any questions you ask yourself about that company unanswered, good luck.

I took the plunge today. I started truck driver training school today. I was informed last week by the place that I was employed with that they were not going to renew my contract with them on August 1st. Gave me an 8 day notice after 9 years with them. I cleaned out my office and told them thank you. I called The International Truck Driving School at Austin Community College today and inquired about their truck driving school and the director told me that a new class started today and we would be more than be happy to start me now. Was I impressed!

I rushed to their medical doctor, passed the DOT physical, paid my fees and got to class by noon. It's a five week course that is certified and there are 10 students in the class.

I have driven fire trucks for over 25 years as a professional fire fighter but I know this will be different.

I will try to keep everyone posted on my success.

Later

I'm on a 2 week medical leave

Aaron you did an honest thing to your self and to everyone out there on the road, that is very professional of you brother, stay strong and don't worry too much about what will happen with the truck situation, plus, you wouldn't appreciate the good days as much if you didn't have bad ones, take care of yourself brother.

I'm 32 and I've been with Swift 10 months. Never had any major issues. I wish pay was a bit better but I ain't complaining to much. My only issue is I tend to get high blood pressure easily and I know out on the road it can be a bit difficult to eat healthy. I try to only eat tuna from subway and drink lots of water and if I do drink pop, I stick with either 7up or Sprite.

Well one night about a week ago, as I was driving, I felt a serious case of dizziness. Could have been vertigo or maybe my blood pressure was acting up. It came out of nowhere and only lasted a few seconds. My dot medical card expires in August so I figured since I was already out for almost 2 months I better set my home time in so I can get that taken care of.

Fast forward a week later (today), I go to see the physician. Swift paid for it. I tell the doctor I had a case of dizziness. Once she heard that, she began asking me a serious of other questions. I answered no to those but the fact I had dizziness while driving made her not grant me my medical card until I see another doctor AFTER WAITING 2 weeks to make sure my blood pressure stabilizes and no more dizziness.

I called my DM and told him and he told me, because I said something they cannot allow me to drive until I see that doctor and he gives me the ok to drive again. I HAVE TO WAIT 2 WEEKS.

For the time being, I have to clean out my truck, a truck I have been using since I've been with the company and I loved and they are going to give it to someone else and when I return they're going to give me a different truck.

My health is most important, but I wonder to myself, if I hadn't said anything to them about that I would be going back to work this saturday (I took a 3 day home time). Now I have to sit for 2 weeks and get my health back in order.

How old can you be? How long can you drive?

I think Old School said once that entering the industry at 40 was the norm, I could be wrong, I'm sure he will correct me if I'm wrong, but younger/older it doesn't matter as everyone is saying if you pass you DOT physical n can drive safely n legally your good.

Thanks,Daniel B. I agree that new drivers have a lot more challenges. I have aches and pains but I don't think I would trade them for what I've learned over the years.

Update on Celadon CDL school?

Do more research on them, last I read they were consolidating to fewer terminals, I don't know if that's a good sign, again do your due diligence on finding out the route the company is heading.

I am considering Celadon company sponsored CDL training and TDI private school. Obviously both routes have pros and cons. In reviewing the TT forums, I don't see any recent comments about Celadons training. Does anyone have recent experience? I want to make the best, most informed decision. Any advice appreciated

Game: Rookie Unrealistic Expectations

As a rookie, I thought I was going to be able to take showers everyday, I mean my trainer did it right!!, wrong, when I first got my truck solo I felt Like I was in a hurry all the time, I think I took 2 showers my 1st week, learning how to plan is essential, lesson learned.

What are some unrealistic expectations that either you had, or you heard from new drivers entering trucking? Things new drivers assume but aren't true.

1). After CDL school one could go solo with a local job

2) A CDL is a meal ticket and will get you a job anywhere right out of CDL school--if the school accepted you all companies will too.

3). No night driving

4) All drop and hooks

5) company paid hotels every night

What are some others we see that just aren't true statements?

I thought about a couple of Brett's blogs and some past unrealistic posters. Here's one link

Guy frustrated with Everything

Waste Management or Mclane?

I worked for WM, in the summer you'll missed the AC, that's all I got to say about that, there a good company, by the book, but I came back to my AC truck, good luck.

Find the episode of undercover boss for WM and take a look at their job. It might entail a whole lot more than you expected.

True, its exaggerated for TV, but I'm sure some of it is real. Good lucj

A new record for me today :)

That's awesome big Scott, remember driving the most miles you can possibly drive safely and legally upfront will make you an excellent driver, one more thing NEVER be late to your appointments that tells your dispatch what kind of driver you are, there is only two kinds in the industry the un-reliable and the reliable, your efforts, trip planning, motivation, and attitude will determine that for you.

7-14-17: Today I just drove and drove. I wanted to get as close to my delivery as possible. If I didn't hit a snag requesting home time while on my 30 minute break I could have gone further. I did run out my 14 and shutdown with about 15 minutes left. Just looked at my E logs for today and I drove........651.1 miles. I'm 72 miles from my final. An easy drive tomorrow morning.

smile.gif

USA Today Article: 'Rigged Part II' Is Out. It's About Trucker Exploitation At The Ports

Very discourage about the treatment of our trucking brothers in the port, surely that's not the only place it's happening.

As is typical - the article lists some issues - but kinda misses the mark.

The retailers (aside from their private fleets, which actually pay pretty well - WalMart, etc.), are paying a totally separate entity to transport goods. How RESPONSIBLE ARE THEY in reality, for the way these carriers deal with their employees. So I don't think the onus of the problem is the retailer's fault, regardless of how the byline tries to make them responsible.

What I really see here - is an indictment of the FORCED LEASING PRACTICES of companies that operate out of Cali ports. In theory, running containerized cargo out of a port, should be pretty easy work. In reality, the wait times can be just as insane as the worst shippers/receivers in OTR work. With CARB really being a PITA on emissions - companies have to replace their fleets, and the easiest way to do it is - FORCED LEASE.

I can say this from experience, as I've ACTUALLY WORKED in my local port (Port Everglades) as a member of the Longshoremans Union (running a yard mule hauling containers and a "TopLoader" container handler). While they put a "dedicated gang" on a ship at the pier (usually 2 Cranes, 8 TT's and 4 Container Handlers) to get the ship loaded/unloaded - there's typically only 4 Container Handlers loading/unloading boxes for the trucks coming in/out of the port. Which means lines and waits to get or drop your box.

So if you are leasing and sitting for extended periods of time - you are going to get SCREWED.

Rick

Not a typical GPS question

A combination of garmin and MY ONE 20, which is a free truckers only gps that you can download in your iPhone also works, I have use both together and never had n issue.

Ok well with the company I work for the qualcomm usually takes the cheapest route to the destination, no tolls, etc which can sometimes be a real pain with some backroads we have to go on, but if we divert from the suggested route it counts as out of route miles. My question is, do the stand alone gps systems aka rand macnally, garmin, etc. Give you the cheapest route to go, the most efficent route, or quickest route to go and do they also give you multiple route choices? And I dont solely rely on this just as another tool to use to make things as smooth as possible. If there is a thread on this type of question please let me know and i will read up on it.

Reefer otr driver

Personally I love pulling a reefer, I've been doing it for a year now, I usually drive at nights, I have found out it's easier n you don't deal with traffic jams, I never have parking problems anywhere cuz there is always space in d TS or RS, its cooler to sweep your trailer or warm d reefer if it's a chilly night, on the live loads/unloads I either take a nap do paperwork, or watch a movie, either way I get detention pay, I can really work my 70 HOS, it's a great job, I am able to never take short cuts, and really learn and maintain my skills, the only hazards at night are animals on the road, but staying focus helps me stay safe and recognize the potential dangers way ahead of the road, reefer life, I was born for it.

Im currently debating between reefer and flatbed..i kno flat bed is usually home on weekends but can someone tell me what hours a reefer driver usually works..im trying to avoid over night driving..thanks

Why not to start out in an automatic truck

I'm old school and don't matter what I read or what someone tells me about automatic trucks, I'm petrified the day my company changes me to an automatic.

The first time I drove a stick was at school. I had never driven a Manual truck before. But some reason I learned fast. And i miss it. Hauling tankers I thought having an auto would be smother ride. It's not. The transmission shifts like a new guy is slamming gears. Don't even get me started on how it handles hills.

Apu down!

Yeah get that taken care of quick, is pretty hot in most States this time of the year, good luck.

You can turn on the cruise control to make the truck fast idle at 750 or 800 rpm. That will usually override the auto shutoff.

It's hot and you need sleep. If the fast idle doesn't work, I would talk to your FM about getting a hotel (if you're company). Also, there are rigmaster shops some places. Try calling Roadside to see if you're near one or will be passing near one. There's a great place in Houston that can fix any APU, for example.

Boy what a start

Take the good with the bad, that's what I tell myself when I have such day, a prayer in the morning doesn't hurt either, hang in there guys things will get better, they have to.

Awful! That is a bad start! You're the second person today that's told us they've been having bad luck lately. Maybe it's something in the air?

Note to circus performers: No high wire acts this week. Postponed. Luck reserves have run dry.

smile.gif

Hang in there! Hopefully they'll get that truck fixed up, you'll get on a good schedule in the right freight lanes, and you'll be running your brains out before you know it.