Profile For Tony

CA

Experienced Driver

4 years, 6 months ago

Tony's Bio

Linehaul LTL Driver

Central Transport (CTII)

Hey everyone, i havent been on this sight for quite a while, however i figure Central Transport is a topic worth discussing. Many vets of the trucking industry have no doubt at one time or another seen the bumble bees of the road (in reference to CTII's paint scheme). Most views people have on the company are negative due to management, equipment, pay etc.... How ever speeking from personal experience, those days seem to be in the past. Ive only been with the company aprox. 7 months and in the short time ive been here i have already seen alot of improvements in the company. We have slowly but surely been recieving better equipment, pay increases, improvements in manegment...etc. For those of you unawair, Central Transport is an LTL (Less Than Truckload) carrier, generally there are two tuck driving positions, city p/d & linehaul; both positions are local, city drivers are hourly & linehaul are paid by the load (spot & hook) going terminal to terminal. Both positions pay fairly well, city drivers usually make aprox 1500 a week before tax, line haul aprox 1200 before tax. Benefits are decent, much better than what they used to be. Generally you need 6 months - 1 year of experience before they will hire you however if that particular terminal needs drivers they may take you with less. Both positions you will probably end up working the dock at somepoint, either before or after your route. Usually it is only mandetory during peak seasons, however the work is always there if you are looking for a little extra pay. Overall i am very happy with this company and glad i decided to work here. This is a company to consider if you are tired of being away from home for 2-3 weeks at a time, some times with little to show for it. Any questions feel free to comment and i will answer as soon as i can. Take care.

Stop worrying about "driverless trucks"

Everybody is so worried about the possibility of driverless trucks. You dont need to worry and heres why.

1. Financial restraints. According to "Otto" and "future truck 2025" these trucks will cost 50,000 to upgrade with their software, them an additional 5-7,000 per year just in maintenance and support systems. Thats not even mentioning the human "delivery manager" salary. Think about it. They even admit humans will not be out of the picture completely, humans will still back the truck, maneuver around construction zones, accidents, always be on alert to take over should their be an emergancy on the roadway...etc. There will be 2 humans per truck (12 hour shifts) and each if them will recieve a sallery of say 40,000 (im low balling) so that is 87,000 per year in labor and computer cost alone not to mention the set up fee (50,000).

2. Safety. During cdl training...even while we are studying ti get our permit, we are always told, if theire is a small animal in the road and traffic around it is much safer to just hit the animal than swerve around and cause an accident. How is a computer going to tell the difference between say a dog and a 7 year old? Fhe computersystem is just going to read... Small mamal directly ahaid... Proceed. There goes little timmy. Not only that but think about it, how many times a day do we have to narrowly avoid an accident because a 4 wheeler is more concerned with his latest text msg vs the road.

3. National security. We always hear that if every trucker went on strike for even a day the nation would be put on its knees. And its true, a sudden stop in commerce would be a sledge hammer to uncle sams knee cap. We always hear how the russians...chinese...koreans...etc are always trying to hack into our national security networks...now imagine if all they had to do was hack a single privste company (otto)...or even shoot down the satilites that guid and direct these robot trucks... Within a week the stars and stripes will be replaces with the star, hammer, and sicyle.

On another note... Think of the millions employed because if truckers... Travel stops... Dinners... Shipping recidving clerks...lot lizards...etc.

Im sure their are a few more reasons i am leaving out but long story short. Dont fear these robots. They sound plausable only to those who have never stepped foot inside a rig.

Any ABF drivers here?

If so how are they? My dad worked for them after consolidated frieghtways shut down for a while and says if you're looking for a good ltl company to work for ABF is the best...but that was 10years ago.how are they now? What is the pay like for a rookie driver?thinking about applying In about a year after i have some more experience.

Tax question while otr?

Hi everyone I'm sure this has been asked before but i am wondering if i should be keeping all of my receipts while I'm on the road? Things like food reciepts, necessitys like gloves, jackets etc... And if so does anybody know of a list of things that will be a tax write off so i know what reciepts to keep and which ones to discard? I know this is a total rookie question but i live in California and am unable to do per diem.

Need some help with shifting, TT

To practice shifting try getting a regular old chair and a plunger. Set the plunger next to you and practice going thru the gears and the movement your feet need to make. It may look silly, but it is effective.

I did the same thing haha

Accepted at Knight!!

Sorry this isn't a question, but I recently was accepted at Knight, I start training on the 27th and I couldn't be more excited!!! Gave my two week notice last friday! Anybody got any advice...What to bring, ways to get prepared?

Which company offers the best lease program?

So my 21st birthday is fast approaching (2-28) and I am torn between knight or prime (mabey wil-trans), I will be going with company sponsored CDL training, and after a year or two will like to lease a truck, does anybody have any recommendations? I live in southern California (near Fontana) and things I'm looking for is if I do lease a truck in the future which company can keep me regional yet profitable running western states. I have a young family and would like to be a regional driver but I realise as a rookie you will more than likely have to go OTR for the first year.

Does anybody run a slip seat box?

My uncle (retired roadway driver) just gave me his galaxy DX 73v cb radio, I was thinking about making a slip seat box, any tips? Also do you need to adjust the swr each time you get in a new truck or is it only necessary if you want maximum range?

No go @ Prime, any thoughts on knight?

Yes unfortunately, it happened when I was a minor, I completed my probation & had my record sealed, so a civilian background check cannot find it but in the federal level background checks it will still show up.

I should have made it clear that they will hire new drivers who have already obtained their CDL through a private school.

Also, as you can see there are plenty of folks who are getting hired at Prime without a HazMat endorsement. You don't have to share it with us, but does the problem lie more in the fact that you have a felony in your background? Usually that would be the reason why you can't obtain a HazMat. You can still pursue this career choice, but you will have more hurdles to clear if that is the case. Have you seen our List of Trucking Companies That Hire with Felonies?

No go @ Prime, any thoughts on knight?

So after I found out prime requires you to be able to get a hazmat endorsement I called the TSA & spoke to a .... Less than enthusiastic lady who informed me I cannot get my hazmat (or TWIC) until November 2019. Without going into too much detail, I got into some trouble when I was a teenager which has unfortunately put me on the 7 year no go list. So I started looking around and spoke to a recruiter at knight and found out I do not need a hazmat (forgot to ask about the TWIC). Just wondering if anybody has any experience with knight and what they think of them. Thank you in advance.

Nearly 15 years later, any ex- Consolidated Freightways drivers out there?

It's been nearly 15 years since CF went under, just wondering if there are any ex drivers on this forum. Both my parents worked for CF from their Mira Loma terminal, my dad was a driver, my mom worked in sales. Kind of curious if there are any of you on this forum and if so, what were your last days like. My dad never hauled another load in the green & red after labor day, my mom still had a job to to do for a few weeks moving the last freight scattered across the nation, mostly abandoned by now unemployed drivers. Curious how everyone's last week's at CF went.

Prime maybe? Mind if I pick your brain?

Hey now something going on between y'all? Ha

Yeah yeah...says the guy who never called me back

Ouch! I been kinda busy prepping to leave out next week. Ill try to give ya a call tonight when I get off work :) Then we can discuss this biting thing lol

Prime maybe? Mind if I pick your brain?

Thank you so much you have essentially sold me on Prime from this post and the last one you gave me about a week back. Perhaps we'll see each other on the road. Take care.

Hi. ;)

I love love love prime. Its home.

First off,...Prime trains at various facilities and you would most likely go to Salt Lake City UT and keep your CA permit. IF they send you to MO, they have you sign a letter of residency to get a DL and permit there. A couple weeks later when you test out, you will be sent back to CA with your driving test scores and get the CA CDL.

Orientation is a week during which food and hotel are provided. During your permit they allow you a $200 per week cash advance you pay back in $25 per week increments. After usually two weeks you test and the day you get the CDL is your date of hire. You start getting paid $700 gross per week at that point.

Home time during training is up to the trainer. Most will comply with your requests. But realistically, expect to be out six to eight weeks before you get home. Figure orientation, PSD with the permit and testing will take a few weeks in itself. And some people get distracted by home time if they go home before they test...then fail the test due to home issues.

I got on the bus for prime 09/19/15

My mom collapsed on 11/18/15 and they let me fly home from FL.

11/26 my trainer picked me back up.

12/23 my trainer flew me home until Jan 3rd.

2/14 I got my own truck and went home 2/28

My pay is decent. I have a great FM ..another member here Kanelin has him as well.

I posted last years totals on this link

Prime first full year pay

Prime maybe? Mind if I pick your brain?

Hello, for those of you who have seen all of my recent post you know that I am considering signing on with CR England, how ever recently I have began having second thoughts and mabey prime is my best choice. I am trying to get information from drivers because we all know recruiters are known to.... "Bend" the truth. A few questions: I currently have a California CdL permit, but I understand their training center is in Missouri, will I need to obtain a Missouri permit and will my residency in CA effect that? Also when do you begin receiving payment, I understand they offer paid training but is this from day 1 of schooling or after I am on a truck with a trainer; and what is the pay like realistically. Lastly how long can I expect to be gone after I board the Greyhound bus headed to Missouri before I get my first home time. I'm sorry if I'm getting annoying with all of my newbie post, it is nerve racking changing careers when you are the sole provider with a family. Thank you so much in advance.

Ways to increase my chances of getting accepted?!?

OK so it looks like the 5% thing was a load of crap. Last question, does anybody know if once you are accepted into school are you pretty much guaranteed a job so long as you pass the schooling or is up in the air if they accept you or not. I just don't want to quit my current job, go to the CR England school and after that find out they will not be accepting my application.

Ways to increase my chances of getting accepted?!?

Hey everybody, Incase you haven't seen my recent post I am planning on signing on with CR England in the next two months. I was just wondering if anybody had any advise that would increase my chances of getting accepted? I spoke with a recruiter and according to him the classes are booking like crazy and they only take the top 5% that apply and I better apply ASAP. Is this true or is he just trying to get me to sign up now? And if it is is there any thing you can suggest that will make my application shine above the rest? I do not have a CDL and no commercial driving experience other than helping my dad out (he is a car hauler O/O). I plan on doing their training program.

How to survive Phases of CR Englands training?

Prime is a $200 per week advance while you have your permit...about two weeks...you pay back at $25/per week once you get the CDL.

Once you get the CDL you get $700 GROSS per week. Upfront I think I paid $155 for background check and permit. They will advance you $ for the TWIC card and sleep apnea if you need it.

You don't have to live near a terminal. We hire from CA and do have a drop yard in Fontana.

And prime is awesome. We have reefer flatbed and tanker.

O wow I didn't know prime even had a student training program (where have I been) do you by chance have a recruiting center phone number so I can learn more? I'm sorry I would try and search for it but I am about to leave for work.

How to survive Phases of CR Englands training?

Thank you everybody for your replies it means alot. And I am in the process of selling my extra car and with my tax return conning in the next few weeks this should all help; Paul W. I have considered other companies but CR England is the closest, I live approximately 30 minutes from their Mira Loma terminal and their training center in Fontana. I like Cr England because they require no cash out if pocket being repaid check by check unlike Schneider. But if you can recommend any companies in the southern California area that offer the same program (no cash out of pocket with a contract) then I would consider them, especially if the pay is better.

How to survive Phases of CR Englands training?

Hey everybody, so I recently had the long dreaded conversation with my wife about me signing on with CR England inorder to obtain my CDL, (I knew she wouldn't be particularly happy with me going OTR) but she is being more supportive than anticipated. But I'm nervous, I read that during the two phases of training (when you are in a truck with a trainer) you receive 500-580 a week, bringing you to approx 2,000 - 2480 a month. That is a less than what I currently bring in and even then we are usually pay check to pay check. I am currently working as much overtime as possible saving up to float us but still I fear it may not be enough. And being on the road means no home cooked meals, I grew up in a rig with my dad and I know how expencive eating at truck stops can be. I was thinking about packing my own food (I understand I may be gone up to 3 weeks at a time), mabey the bare minimum like homemade granola bars vacuum sealed and multivitamins, rationed out it should all fit in my duffel bag along with my clothes and personal items (I travel light). Any thoughts? Is this a good idea? Thank you and God bless.

CR England's driving school info?

Hi have any of you gone through CR England's driving school program? If so how did it go, how long did it take and did you have to take a driving test at the DMV or because they are a large company do they sign off on it? Also is it paid training?

And on a side note if I sign the contract with them get my CdL and a month or two later I want to switch companies will I be pro rated considering how much time I worked with them to how much I then owe? Or will I still owe the full amount even if I fulfill 9/10 of my contract