Comments By Tony

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0009232001627546896-56157.jpg avatar
  • Tony
  • Comments:

How to survive Phases of CR Englands training?

Thank you everybody for your replies it means alot. And I am in the process of selling my extra car and with my tax return conning in the next few weeks this should all help; Paul W. I have considered other companies but CR England is the closest, I live approximately 30 minutes from their Mira Loma terminal and their training center in Fontana. I like Cr England because they require no cash out if pocket being repaid check by check unlike Schneider. But if you can recommend any companies in the southern California area that offer the same program (no cash out of pocket with a contract) then I would consider them, especially if the pay is better.

How to survive Phases of CR Englands training?

Hey everybody, so I recently had the long dreaded conversation with my wife about me signing on with CR England inorder to obtain my CDL, (I knew she wouldn't be particularly happy with me going OTR) but she is being more supportive than anticipated. But I'm nervous, I read that during the two phases of training (when you are in a truck with a trainer) you receive 500-580 a week, bringing you to approx 2,000 - 2480 a month. That is a less than what I currently bring in and even then we are usually pay check to pay check. I am currently working as much overtime as possible saving up to float us but still I fear it may not be enough. And being on the road means no home cooked meals, I grew up in a rig with my dad and I know how expencive eating at truck stops can be. I was thinking about packing my own food (I understand I may be gone up to 3 weeks at a time), mabey the bare minimum like homemade granola bars vacuum sealed and multivitamins, rationed out it should all fit in my duffel bag along with my clothes and personal items (I travel light). Any thoughts? Is this a good idea? Thank you and God bless.

CR England's driving school info?

Hi have any of you gone through CR England's driving school program? If so how did it go, how long did it take and did you have to take a driving test at the DMV or because they are a large company do they sign off on it? Also is it paid training?

And on a side note if I sign the contract with them get my CdL and a month or two later I want to switch companies will I be pro rated considering how much time I worked with them to how much I then owe? Or will I still owe the full amount even if I fulfill 9/10 of my contract

Can anybody recommend a good book on diesel mechanics?

Hey everyone, so I am currently in CDL school hoping to get my license in the near future, I'm only 20 years old though which I know will make it hard to land a job before my 21 birthday. I plan on driving my dads rig (he's an OO) part time until the day I can quit my current job and hit the road.

I figured while I'm waiting for my 21st birthday I would try and learn about diesel engines and basic trouble shooting, figured this will prove invaluable down the line. I don't have much time or money to spare so formal schooling isn't necessarily an option, just wondering if anybody can recommend a book or two that will at least give me a basic understanding into the world of diesel repairs.

Any reviews on "fifth wheel trucking school"?

Tony, I'm not familiar with that school but we have a lot of great information that will teach you how to evaluate a school:

And you shouldn't have to drive your dad's rig in order to land a job straight out of school. Since you're ready to start school, now is the time to begin applying to companies. Assuming your background is decent and you've chosen a good school you should have at least one or two jobs lined up before you even graduate.

Thank you Brett, but unfortunately due to my age (20) I need all the help I can get. I'm hoping after some time driving his truck a company will over look my age and hire me for for some local work, until I'm 21.

Start a Trucking Career?

Do it, I'm starting cdl school this Tuesday or Wednesday but I'll be a 4th generation trucker, here's my advice, bite the bullet and pay for school out of pocket, a good one too. Most of the companies that pay for your schooling in exchange for a year or more of service from what I hear are not the best. Don't get me wrong your experience may differ, but I suggest getting your class A on your own and then apply, if your close to an ABF terminal I would reccomend them, my dad worked for them and he says had he not become an OO he would still work for them, I know they will hire rookies, after a year or two OTR a lot of doors will open for.

Just my 2 cents. What ever you do decide on good luck!

Any reviews on "fifth wheel trucking school"?

I'm starting trucking school this Tuesday and considering fifth wheel trucking school in Fontana CA, I was just wondering if anybody has had any experience with them or know anyone who does. I'm considering them because they are affordable.

I plan on getting my cdl then driving my dads rig at night part time until a company will consider me and I can quit my full time job, so even if its not the best school at least I can say I have experience working part time.

Any help is much appreciated!

Cdl permit test

Just took it Wednesday, wansnt as hard as I thought it would be, download an app called study buddy for cdl, its practice test, it helps

How to quit current job with no hard feelings

Hey I'll make this quick, so I'm 20 years old and currently work in a production factory struggling to support my family, I want to go to trucking because its what my dads been doing since '85 and I know what kind if $ it can rake in.

Here's the thing, my father in law is the one who got me this job, he works here as a mechanic and makes good money but it will take me 10+ years to get where he is, I just can't wait that long, diesels in my blood, my grandpa and great grandpa were all truckers. I just don't want to seem ungrateful when I do quit, me and him get along great and I don't want to compromise that.