Comments By N/A

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0847045001542072685-56618.jpg avatar
  • N/A
  • Comments:

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Going Solo

As some of you already know, I upgraded a few months back and began teaming right away. The teaming was fine, but I really didn't make that much for the time I spent teaming.

He and I both agreed that we both felt we weren't being compensated enough for teaming with one another. So we had been talking about running solo, and I finally made the switch last week.

So far, so good. I ran 3,300 miles in my first week as a solo driver. I think I know why you guys and gals are all about running solo, as opposed to teaming.

While teaming isn't for everyone, I did enjoy having the co-driver that I had, other than him causing us to have two service failures, forgetting to set the air brakes one night, hardly ever checking his mirrors when turning, not always looking in his mirrors while backing, nearly running the tandems into parked vehicles, nearly running into parked trucks at the shipper/receiver, not knowing how to use the Qualcomm, having the hardest time backing into wide open spots, and discreetly naming me his full-time mentor (without mentor pay). He was a good guy, just not aware of how to actually do what his mentor was paid to teach him to do.

So I dropped him off last week for his hometime (5-days), and flew solo for a week and a half. After the first day solo, I was all in. So I got it all set up to be solo. The problem then became him wanting to squabble over the truck, which he did leave a few of his belongings onboard. So no problem. Here, you can have the truck, and all your stuff. I'll get my own truck next week sometime. Going on my own hometime today.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Service Failure?

Was told to bobtail to the shipper, by the planner and a night dispatcher, due to the terminal not having any empty trailers. I get to the shipper, they won't allow me to take my preloaded trailer unless I bring in an empty. No problem, right?

I was only able to use 9hrs 6min of drive time for the day. Planners used up 1hr 48min of my drive time looking for an empty trailer, and nearly 2hrs of sitting around waiting to hear where an empty trailer is located. That's nearly 4hrs of drive time that I didn't even get to put toward delivering the freight to the customer. I drove nearly 11hrs the next day, landed 2.5hrs from final destination.

Did I communicate the load would be late?

I sent my fleet manager a qualcomm message on the day all of this happened (one day prior to scheduled delivery) @ 1134, explaining the reason why this load would be late. Again, at 1148 on the same day, I sent a message to the drive managers, informing them what I had just sent to the feet manager, and telling them this load would not deliver on time.

Note: I didn't just send a message directly to the fleet manager, skipping my chain-of-command. The fleet manager sent me a direct message about the freight I was hauling, and asked me if I would be able to deliver on time. This is when I informed the fleet manager that I would be late, along with reasons why.

Sent ETA information on the same day @ 1629 & 1630 to the fleet manager, as requested. Fleet manager then told me I would receive a service failure.

I gave this information to my drive manager the following day, and his reasoning was that I didn't communicate this load would be late, even though I did.

Thoughts?

Night & Weekend Dispatch

I was not trying to pass judgement on you. I was just trying to show you another way to look at things. I only wish good things for people. I also took so long to type that that I missed some of the conversation. lol. Have a good night.

Have a good one, Big Scott.

Night & Weekend Dispatch

CJ they often assign the new hires in the overnight and weekend slots. Less experience equals less efficient. You remember what it's like to be learning your job, don't yah CJ?

I have actually helped on the weekends, 2 people as opposed to the 4-5 during prime time. However the workload can be overwhelming because there are two people answering calls and working with up to 100 drivers, instead of four or five. Lots of stuff can quickly fall through the cracks and spiral out of control.

CJ if you come across to them in a similar fashion as you are in this thread, perhaps that partially explains the root cause of your issue. "Humble up" a bit. Try to understand their world and then help them to better understand yours. Meet them halfway so to speak, and things might improve for you. Throwing them under the bus isn't getting it done, try a different approach.

G-town, as I have just explained to Big Scott.... because I rant on he internet, it doesn't mean I do it in real life.

No, we have night and weekend people in our terminal. I say that, but only because when I send a free form, you're liable to get a response from five or six different people.

And no, I hadn't realized the newbies were put into that position. Knowing this information puts things in perspective --- I'll take that advice. Thanks.

Swift Team Driver Pay

It's a nice bonus. I had been looking at some hazmat team outfits but now that I got a new truck and this pay increase we'll definitely be sticking around.

Keep in mind that $2100 comes down to $1750 after uncle sam gets his cut.

Hahaha yeah... $1750 per driver. We have been averaging $1400/split! So $700 each. Ill gladly take the $1750. But are you company driver?

Night & Weekend Dispatch

For your sake, Paul, I will give them all the benefit of the doubt.

How do like dedicated? What's the pay and hometime like?

Thanks.

Gimme about 5 minutes and I'll post a new thread about it. I've been needing to do that anyways. Short answer: it's awesome.

Sounds great, Paul.

Night & Weekend Dispatch

From reading your posts today, you are half of the problem. You have a poor attitude. When you give them attitude they get to show you who can screw who. You seem to have a habit of jumping the gun and taking loads you aren't dispatched for. To me that seems like you are acting like a spoiled brat. I know I am not even in school yet, however I have 49 years of life experience to see the big picture. In life we must do things by the rules. Those weekend DM's you are bad mouthing are just stressed out people trying to do a job. I wish you luck.

Big Scott, have you seen me get an attitude with these people? Have you heard me talk to these people? No. I didn't think so.

Just because I rant about things that I dislike in the company on this forum, it doesn't mean that I am mean and rude to these people in real life.

I am not some 21 year old kid out here doing whatever the heck I want to do, without any discipline from my parents, or without any other work experience. Get a hold of yourself, sir. You have judged me, just as I have judged them. And you think I'm the problem?

Swift Team Driver Pay

All miles over 3,000? Matt, you'll be getting over 3,000 nearly every week hahaha! Swift needs to adopt this idea... $2100 per driver would be three times our current weekly allowances.

Night & Weekend Dispatch

For your sake, Paul, I will give them all the benefit of the doubt.

How do like dedicated? What's the pay and hometime like?

Night & Weekend Dispatch

I'm with Paul on this. I've always been treated well by the Weekenders. I never assume they can know what I need. I simply ask politely and it happens. I treat everyone I speak with as if they were my own DM. Have you ever sat in their work room and listened to their side of the conversation? The questions they have to answer, repeatedly, when talking to drivers might open your eyes a bit. Give them a break, many of them used to drive and they're trying.

Good point. I know what you mean about being asked the same questions repeatedly. They do it to us all of the time. I can't say that al the night and weekend dispatchers are dumb, but the ones we've been dealing with sure ain't the smartest.

Night & Weekend Dispatch

I see where you're coming from, but I don't understand how a daily planner or daily driver manager can easily put things into motion for you, but you have six or seven people in that office every night who can't do the same.

When you send them a message,they see everything you're doing on that computer screen. They see the order, the truck, the driver number, all of the information they need to see what they need to see...

And when you tell them the order # you are on, as well as where you are in the Macro section, and they don't put two and two together, especially when they received the empty call from the last order... come on, driver.

Common sense. That's all I want them to have... you can make all t he excuses you want for them, but the ones I've had to deal with so far aren't the brightest. Sending you to the shipper to pick up the empty, the same place you're picking up the load? I think that maybe you've not dealt with them enough? If you're a solo driver, I highly doubt you deal with them on a daily basis, but I do.

Swift Team Driver Pay

We make .14cpm teaming and our best pay so far was $450 net.

That's pretty bad, but there is light at the end of the tunnel! Some companies will buy out your contract, others just pay more (Swift, US Xpress, Interstate), but it all depends on you and what you want to do.

Swift Team Driver Pay

The money looks good, but I hope you don't get paired with a 300 mile a day driver!

Heavens no! My co-driver does 500-600, same as me, per day. Of course, the mileage per driver really depends upon what your day consists of... pickup, delivery, live load/unload, waiting on a load, looking for a trailer, etc...

Night & Weekend Dispatch

Yeah... dispatcher sees I've got four runs from the planner accepted. They see the PTA. They receive the empty call, which means "I'm ready for the next dispatch." They see me telling them my location, where I am, what I've done, and what order # i am currently driving under. --- yeah, they're dumb.

Hometime

Brett, you're completely right. And, of course, I can only speak as a Swift driver on nearly all matters of this career so far.

And it's funny tha t you mention new drivers expecting a hand out, because I've ran into a handful across the states within my own company who've only been out here for a few months, and claim to get between 800 & 1500 miles every week.

In my mind, something doesn't seem right. They're either not hustling freight or they're never on time... it's all that I can think of really.

OTR is a hustle.

Accepting Loads from the Shipper

Hahaha

Yeah, that's my point, Errol.

No Empty Trailers

Sometimes you get called in to get your oil changed. You come in with an empty, but they wewant you to disconnect he empty before bringing your truck into the shop... that happens... and when you go back to get your trailer, its gone.

By the way, this is why they make kingpin locks lol

Weekend Planning

Well, you cats must be lucky, because I ran for 30 days straight, and sat at a darn terminal every Saturday and Sunday.... and I'm a team driver! Hahaha but I have learned

Night & Weekend Dispatch

These folks are sort of like your ordinary drive managers, only way, way dumber than your drive manager. I don't mean to be harsh, but allow me to give you a real-life scenario of how dumb they really are...

We have a pick-up at Amazon. We don't have an empty trailer. Guess where they send us!? To the shipper (Amazon) to pick up an empty trailer! Did we do it? Heck no! Why pick up an empty trailer in the same yard we are picking up our load? See the stupidity yet?

Another real-life example would be actually doing their job.

As I've mentioned before about getting weekend runs from the area planner, well I did that. I'm on a run one Saturday morning, started my second run of the day, and I was never dispatched. Yeah, you see where this is going...

I said, well, the dispatch directions aren't in my qualcomm. Screw it, I'll type them in from the orders we received. Well, I did that, sent in my "arrived at shipper" and "loaded" calls. They were both sent back saying something about the previous load I had, which is a clear indication that I am not dispatched on this run.

Giving the weekend personnel the benefit of the doubt, hoping they're not really this stupid, I send them a message that says "I have arrived at shipper. I am loaded. I am headed to the scales." And, get this, they respond, "Cool. Thanks for the heads-up." Seriously? Yep.

I make it to the smallest little Pilot in West Virginia, scale the load, and send another message. "Scaled the load. Weight is evenly distributed. I'm headed to the reciever." And what do they say? "Thanks. Drive safe."

Hahahahahaha

I get to the terminal to drop my trailer, because I wasn't delivering this load to a consignee. So, the t-col person says, "I can't take this load from you because you were never dispatched. I'll have to call your terminal and have them dispatch you." That's the darndest thing. So I have to wait there about 45 minutes for these people to do that.

Now, I really like my terminal and drive manager, but the weekend warriors aren't too bright. That's all I'm saying here. Should I really have to tell them to dispatch me? They know I've got four runs to make back-to-back. Once I've sent in an "empty" call from one load, the next load should be dispatched to you immediately, or at least for the time you've set your PTA to be... but they're not that bright. And they don't take hints.

These are just two very small examples of the weekend crew, but other drivers have had even worse experiences. I'll let them tell their own stories.

Ask Questions

My drive manager wanted me to take a run from Ecru, MS to Rochester, NY, but also wanted me to pick up from the shipper, then wait (approximately 7 hours) for him to come into the office the next day so that we could review some things together. Okay, I've got this run, if I wait for him, I know for sure that I'll be late for delivery. What do you do?

You simply ask a question. "If I take this run, I won't be able to meet up with you in the morning because I'll be late if I do. Do you want me to accept, decline, or counter this load offer?"

That's all it took. He must have had some insider information, because that load was late, and nobody gave two flips about it. Not Swift. Not the receiver. Not the yard jockey. Hahaha...

My drive manager told me the hardest thing he gets the new drivers to do is ask questions. For some reason, new drivers don't ask questions. This is how so many new drivers get screwed out of good runs, and screw up their service times. New recruit, always ask questions if you are unsure about anything.

If your drive manager gives you a hard time about any question you ask him or her, call the fleet or terminal manager (driver manager boss), and ask them. Don't be afraid of anyone in that office. They go home and drink everynight, if they want to, but we ain't got that luxury.