Profile For N/A

2 years, 11 months ago

N/A's Bio

N/A

N/A's Photo Gallery

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Young guy wanting to get started in Texas

Old School, you always bully me.

The rookie at the Mega Carrier will make between $40-60k first year.

The rookie with the LTL Carrier will make $60-90k first year.

But go ahead and discredit me, and rather than encourage others to follow the path they desire to take in this industry, or give them other options that maybe they’ve not thought about, let’s just feed them all to the OTR MegaCarriers.

For a man with so much experience in this career field, I’m surprised that you don’t understand that LTL money is better than Mega Carrier money.

Money is the only reason I’m out here working. Money is the only reason a lot of people are out here working. You’re mad because I chose to better my financial situation? Mad because I didn’t make my wife and kids live out in the street while I was out here in the truck? Mad because I had two vehicles repo’d first year trucking and thought I should have stayed at that same company that never paid well?

You judge me because I worked at a few companies without ever thinking about my home-life situation. I guess you’re single. Maybe you’ve never had a wife and kids? If you do, then you should understand my reasons. Then again, I don’t answer to you.

And you waited six hours for me to clarify all of this to you? Some of us are out here working on a Sunday, thought you’d figure that one out since were in the same career field.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Soon to be Veteran looking at trucking

Guys, you took the information wrong. I did not mean it was okay for a rookie to START out driving tankers. What I meant was that if this driver wants to EVENTUALLY drive tankers, then by all means, go ahead. The point y’all missed was this:

But it’s all good. Some folks want to drive in the heavy haul division, but you guys don’t honestly think anyone would tell a newbie to do that, do you?

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Young guy wanting to get started in Texas

Johnathon, have you ever considered LTL? Old Dominion, Estes, ABF? Well, it’s much higher pay than the average company, plus retirement and benefits. If you have no desire to become an O/O, you may want to become an LTL company driver.

I work at Estes Express. I’ve bumped into a few “rookie” drivers who went through the Estes Driving Program, and they’re super happy. Of course, you’ll need hazmat, doubles/triples, and tanker endorsements. You only have to run a forklift 90 days at Estes to get into the program. Get paid the entire time. I think forklift drivers make $17/hr. Plus, you’ll work 50-55 hours per week.

Old Dominion and ABF may put you straight into the program immediately. I’m not sure. I know you’d enjoy the all drop-and-hook, paid all miles from terminal-to-terminal Estes route. But to each their own.

You can struggle to make ends meet at a MegaCarrier, or you can be make great money and enjoy what you do at the LTL company. Plus, they have local positions you could get into after the program and never have to go over the road, unless you volunteer.

Food for thought.

God Bless, Chris

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Soon to be Veteran looking at trucking

Thanks for your service! Fellow vet here, and I’d like to say that this is a good career. I’m not sure how much research you’ve done on tankers, flatbed, dry van, reefer, etc., but have you ever considered LTL? These are companies that pull two and three trailers at once, usually two or three 28’ “pup” trailers.

You can start a good career with companies like Estes, Old Dominion, ABF, etc. You can be home every night, or you can be home every week (depending on which driver position you take). The salary is high ($70-125k/yr), and they’ve got retirement and health, dental, vision benefits.

The best part, they train. You apply for Estes (for example), and you’ll operate a forklift for three months. After that, you’re eligible to go to their school. It’s approximately four weeks with a driver (city & Linehaul), and two weeks in the school. They pay for the school, and they’ll pay you while you’re being trained. You will not have to pay anything back, only commit to this one company for two years. You will need your Tanker, Doubles/Triples, and Hazmat endorsements.

Of course, if your desire is to pull tankers, no problem. I understand that some drivers only want to pull this or that, and the thought of pulling doubles, especially placards hazmat, scares some people. Be careful not to rush into anything too soon. I made that mistake in the beginning.

God Bless, Chris

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

FMCSA clarifies personal conveyance - "even if laden"

I was with one company who expected you to run on the one-hour PC when you were loaded. Usually, this was due to bad planning on the company’s part. Now we have signs in terminals throughout the country that state to only use Personal Conveyance for bobtailing to/fro lodging and meals.

Ozark Motor Lines

Oldschool, while I greatly appreciate your honesty, I think you read too much into my initial post. If anyone called the recruiter for Ozark, I am sure they'd get the same information. After all, I'm only sharing information about this company. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Yes, I began with a big company and was excited about my new career change. Sure, I said many positive things. Then the negative things were said.

Now, I'm only giving a short review from my own perspective of another company as a driver. I stated, "I've not found anything to complain about. But when you stay at some place long enough, no matter the company, you'll eventually find something to complain about." That's true of any and every industry, not just trucking.

Have you ever heard of someone complaining about their company? How about other drivers on the road? How about their equipment? My point is, people complain.

Now, I'm not saying that I will find a genuine complaint, but that it is possible that something may happen in the future that will cause me to complain. You know what, that's just a part of life.

As for Ozark, I'm happy with the pay. I guess I'll take your advice and not post anything further on this site until I've reached my two year mark. No problem. Seems a few of you are still ill toward me because I decided to team drive despite the many negative things that were said about team driving. Thats okay, too.

Be safe out on the road.

Ozark Motor Lines

The trucks? Freightliner Cascadias with 10-speed manual transmissions (they say they want 20% of their fleet to be automatics for their city drivers, but that could always change). The trucks are equipped with 1,500W inverters and APUs. They want their idle to be less than 10% for each driver (unless your APU doesn't work). The trucks are governed at 68 mph.

If there are ever any issues with your truck, call the shop and they'll have you take it somewhere, come and get it and bring you another truck, or they'll take care of it the next time you're in one of the terminals. It all depends on the issue. (One driver broke his drive axle, and they brought him another truck on their wrecker, then took the other one back to their shop.)

The pay for a company driver ranges from 34cpm to 46cpm, based on experience. With 6-months experience, you can make 39cpm.

The average miles for the regional driver is 2,100-2,200 and home every weekend. 2,500+ miles for the OTR driver. After coming off hometime (first 3 days of pay period was spent at home), I received 2,113 miles in the remaining 4 days of the pay period (took home $675 for that week). The following week, I ran 3,360 miles.

You have options when it comes to your hometime. If you're out 8-10 days, you get 2 days off. If you're out 14 days, you get 3 days off. If you're out 21 days, you get 5 days off. If you're out 28 days, you get 7 days off. So far, they've been getting me home when I've requested to be home, and they've never called asking me to come off hometime early.

They've got benefits like many other companies that you pay weekly.

They don't have a driving school, but they'll hire entry level drivers (anyone with less than 3 months experience). If you have your Class A CDL, they will train you.

E-logs. Currently, they have two different models of the Qualcomm. The MCP100 (which is not as nice as the MCP200), and the newest model (unsure of the model number). They are currently in the process of installing the newest model in all of their trucks, but they claim they can only receive about 35 of them at once. So it may take a little while before all the trucks have it. Either way, it's a Qualcomm.

So far, I've hauled freight for FedEx, Remington Arms, Cabela's, International Paper, Georgia Pacific, Walmart, and a few others.

This is just a quick review for the short time I've been with the company. So far, I have nothing to complain about. They've not made me sit for hours on end waiting for loads, and I've never had to pick up the phone and request loads to run. I update the ETA/PTA, and the loads come automatically.

Another positive note, if you run into some kind of issue out here on the road and you have to call the office, they'll keep you on the phone until the issue is resolved. Some companies will tell you they'll work on it and hang up, never calling you back. That's not how Ozark rolls.

The terminals have free washers and dryers, free showers, gym, tv rooms with large recliners, and a company store.

If this is a company that any of you have had questions about, or if someone is thinking of calling them for a job, I hope I've given you enough information to help in your decision-making. I've been with them Since October 1, 2016, and I've not found anything to complain about. But when you stay at some place long enough, no matter the company, you'll eventually find something to complain about.

Be safe. Be courteous.

Night & Weekend Dispatch

I remember replying to you, but I guess my response never got to you. Sorry, man.

Questions about Schneider Family Dollar

Ok, maybe I come off on this website as a complete idiot. I apologize. Devan, I apologize for the way I've read your comments. G-town, I did reply to that comment from three weeks ago, telling you I've taken your advice.

Now, the entire reason I waited on my DM, is that my DM is the one who said to me that he would get me a truck. How was I to know that he was lying?

You didn't think I would like teaming from the beginning, you were right. If my teammate had actually learned how to do his job, just as I was trained to do, and wasn't as lazy as he was, I might have liked it. But I've told you all my reasons for going solo already.

Yes, I did offer my codriver the truck, through my DM - before I was told to keep it three times. So when I was told to go home and give my truck to my codriver, you can bet I was a little upset. Why did I not have a truck assignment that Friday when I was suppose to go home?

When I say that my DM forced me to go on hometime, I'm not lying. "You don't know how this business works" seems to be the only thing I hear from nearly everyone. Yes, I don't know everything, and I know that I don't know everything, but why has this thread gone from its original subject to "why are you changing companies?"

This is my career. I came for insight on this job, but it's alright if you want to talk about other things.

Sure, I started with Swift in April, but I can change companies if I am able to, which is what I'm doing. If you are able to go to another company, and that company is a good fit for yoy, why not stay with that company for 20-30 years? "You need at least one year of experience." So because I leave one company, and choose another once within my first year, you think I'm going to continue doing that?

So I stay with this company six or seven months... my year of experience is achieved. And then what? More doors open if I want to switch companies, again? I don't see the problem with what I'm doing here, neither did I ask for advice on switching companies within my first year. I clearly asked about one job, and it seems that all I'm getting is hate.

I apologize to you all if I've offended you, as that is not my intention. Thank you all for the feedback and honesty, though.

Questions about Schneider Family Dollar

Proactive? Yeah. I recall people on this site being mad at me for being proactive. Then being proactive about my DM getting me a truck when he shouldn't have pulled me out of the truck I was already in? Dude, every time you comment on my posts, you're pro company office personnel, and anti-driver. That's how you keep coming off. How am I suppose to be proactive other than calling my DM? Of course, you tell me to go over his head, but from military experience, you don't skip chain of command to be "proactive". You let your supervisor do his job.

So when I called Monday, he told me he would take care of it. Am I to assume he won't do his job? No. So I call him Wednesday, and that's when he finally does his job and then I'm just waiting to hear back. Now, had I not heard anything back on Wednesday afternoon, I would have definitely talked with him about it again Thursday, and then would have made mention of my intentions of going over his head. That would have been a more professional approach.

Just my 2 cents. Why don't you call the terminal manager if your DM is not doing anything to get you a truck? What terminal are you out of? Also your comment about all these people with Schneider are happy is quite laughable because no matter what company it is there is plenty of people that hate it there. This is what changed my view as a whole on the company thing. Not trying to say Swift works for everyone because that is a lie however my performance is on me and not what logo is on the side of my truck.

As a side note your DM probably just sends a message to the truck assignment people and thats it. He/she has a millions things to do and a lot of drivers to take care of that sometimes you need to be proactive. I have had to do that when people were taking to long to get stuff for me done. You have to take initiative and get **** done!

Questions about Schneider Family Dollar

Steve, do you still enjoy driving for Schneider after two years? My step dad had a cousin who spent 20 years with them, he loved them. And I've not heard anyone who works there complain about their company yet.

I drive OTR for Schneider (almost two years now) and everything the recruiter promised is what I've experienced.

Also, I went through orientation with some Dollar General guys and they got what was promised also.

Questions about Schneider Family Dollar

Everyone seems to want to know all of the details about something not related to this post, for this post is about the Family Dollar account with Schneider. No problem. Here's how I was forced out of the truck.

As some of you know, I began my career, after mentorship, as a team driver. Well, after witnessing many things that I've disliked about teaming, my teammate and I began talking about going solo. So, he decides to take his hometime, while I decided to stay out longer (needed the money).

After two days, I asked my DM how hard it would be to make me a solo driver. Well, he comes back with "no problem at all. I'll just have to find your teammate another truck."

So, to squash any troubles that may arise with this, I offered my truck to the teammate, through my DM. I was told "no, it doesn't make sense to pull you off the road when he's already at home. It makes more sense for the company if I try and find him another truck." Ok. This was said to me twice, and I was told I was keeping the truck three times, directly from the DM.

Now, my teammate left a few belongings in the truck, and I made mention of this to my DM immediately after I asked about going solo. His response was to work it out with the teammate and let us figure out how to get his stuff back. My way of doing it was to drop his stuff off at the terminal. Well, that wasn't going to work for the teammate, apparently.

By the way, my truck was a KW T680.

After being solo for nearly two weeks, I'm told that while I'm on my way to drop off this next run, to swing by the home terminal and pick up my former teammate, deliver my load, and he would be driving me home. Then I was informed to clean my stuff out of the truck when I got home because the former teammate would be taking my truck.

First off, I was lied to three times. Secondly, I was pulled off the road just to wait for them to find me a truck. Third, I'm at home for nearly a whole week not making any money, and not because I chose to be off. And the biggest problem that I found with this whole scenario, is that my former teammate was offered another truck while he was on his hometime, but he refused it because he said he wanted my truck. And let's not forget that I have seniority on him. Whatever, right? Why start trouble, just go with it. Ok.

The problems that arose after all of this crap is that I arrive home on a Friday. The following Monday, I call my DM to ask if he's found me a truck yet (since he's known I would be getting another truck for at least five days at this time). His response was, "I can't get you a truck and hold it until you get back, so when are you coming back to work?"

Well, since I was forced out of my truck, and forced to come home by the DM, I just replied, "I'll be there in two days." His response was "ok, I'll get to looking for you one. If I don't call you back before Wednesday, call me." No problem.

Wednesday comes around, so I give him a call back. Now at this point in time, he's known for a solid week that I'll be needing a truck, since it was him who told me directly the week prior that I'll be assigned another truck. So I call, "we were short handed in the office on Monday and Tuesday, and it slipped my mind completely. I'll send a message to the person who can assign you a truck right now."

Seriously? So, his plan was to have me meet at the terminal, then ride down to Louisianna to get a truck with a few other drivers who need trucks. Of course, while I was forced to be at home, I used that time to search for jobs. And, of course, some of you know about that service failure threat, but I guess that never came to fruition in the end. Well, now I'm asking about this Family Dollar account at Schneider because it seems to work for me.

I hope I made everything clear, if I've not, then please feel free to let me know. I'll try to clear up anything that you feel hasn't been addressed. Thanks.

Questions about Schneider Family Dollar

Devan, I don't mind the extra work. I actually hate being this lazy. Plus, I'd like to somewhat keep in shape.

I've held my CDL for 2 and a half years now, and Swift seems to be jerking me around these past couple weeks. So while they forced me to go home while giving my truck to someone else, not even looking for me a truck, and threatening me with service failures, I don't think this is the company for me. By the way, if you're not happy where you're at, then leave.

So I found Schneider hiring for this position while I was at home, due to being forced out of my truck and not making any money, and I just wanted incite about the position.

I don't mind leaving my comfort zone and jumping into something that may take a little more physical work, and a little more skillful driving. If you're happy where you are, then that's fine. But your happiness may not be the same for everyone else.

The pay is that low on this account due to my tractor-trailer experience level. I've heard nothing but good things from people who actually drive for Schneider. I cannot say the same for Swift, myself included.

You are aware how difficult the job is right? Also didn't you just start out solo with Swift? You shouldn't jump over to another company until you have a year experience and dependent where you are you can get on a dollar acct with swift. I wouldn't want to do it because of all the labor and I am not confident enough in my skills to maneuver around some of these stores. Also that is low pay for considering the work you have to do on these accts. I make the same amount just sitting on my butt most the time and maybe strapping a pallet or two.

Questions about Schneider Family Dollar

The schedule and pay:

Sunday Evening - Friday Evening

Home Friday Evening - Sunday Evening

Home some during the week

.29cpm 1600-2000mi/wk

$25/stop, except 1st and last stop (4-5 stops/trailer) $75/trailer load (3-4 trailers/wk)

Palletized freight or roller carts

The information above is what I received from the Schneider website, and the recruiter. It sounds great, but I know not everything is as good as it sounds. I am sure the backing/parking will be difficult at many if these stores, and I've got no issues there.

If I've calculated the above pay correctly, I could potentially make between $700-1000 every week, but I could be wrong.

Does anyone have any experience with Schneider's dedicated Family Dollar account?

Thanks.

Service Failure?

Now, this service failėure will be a write-up. Do I sign the write-up, or reject signing it until everything is thoroughly "investigated" by someone in the company?

Unless they demonstrate to you clearly that you failed to do your job properly I wouldn't sign anything. If they decide to file it anyway I would again go up the ladder with it. You definitely want to protect your service and safety record because paid bonuses and opportunities in other divisions often hinge on those records. It's not just a matter of principle, which in itself would be reason enough to defend yourself, but it can also be a matter of money coming out of your wallet.

It's entirely possible that you did everything correctly and dispatch dropped the ball but they're trying to defend their own record the same way you're going to defend yours. So they might be able to label it as your fault and clear themselves of any wrongdoing. Then again maybe you did somehow miss a step in the process that you weren't aware of.

See what they do about it and follow through with it until you know there's been a clear resolution of the case. If you screwed up then so be it. You live and you learn. If they screwed up then make sure you clear yourself of any wrongdoing.

Thanks again, Brett. I'll just wait until some sort of verdict is reached before I do anything.

Weekend Planning

Well, you cats must be lucky, because I ran for 30 days straight, and sat at a darn terminal every Saturday and Sunday.... and I'm a team driver! Hahaha but I have learned

I don't understand... you mean you ran 30 days then all of a sudden had weekends off?. My company we all run 30 days straight the. Are entitled to hometime. But I have stayed out as long as 2 mos..... working every day.

You aren't getting the frieght cause of your poor attitude

What I meant by that, I stayed out for 30 days, and every weekend sat a terminal somewhere in this country. In other words, we ran about 5-6 days, then terminal for a day and a half, then repeated the cycle. In our second month, I learned how to avoid this..

Service Failure?

Did you send your Mac 22's or just freeforms? Anytime you are going to be late for any reason at Swift, you must send the Mac 22 even if you also sent freeforms.

[To non-Swifties, Mac 22 is our "running late" macro, if that wasn't obvious]

I did send the Mac22, as well as freeforms and direct replies.

Service Failure?

Like Brett said you have proof, no need to stress over it. I was once a day and a half late to a delivery but I wasn't service failed because I kept dispatch upadated.

Thanks, Devan. I might be alright. I've not heard anything more about it since that day (08/09/16).

Service Failure?

How often does this happen? I ask because my FM messed up a couple times...he's human.. but he has overlooked far more of my screw ups. I had a situation where the load I got assigned picked up before I got my recap back and I had no hours at all. I made the mistake of not checking the date thinking it was the next days load.

Yeah I took a hit. But I didn't go ratting him out to his boss. I didn't want to ruin a good relationship over one mistake. Although..my FM would never say I didn't tell him ahead of time. That sorta sounds deceitful if they know it or lazy of they didn't read thru the messages

This is the first time this has ever happened to me, personally. Now, when I was teaming, my co-driver has caused us to received two service failures because he wanted to drag his tail instead of getting on down the road, but that's a completely different story.

This situation that I have been involved in, is the first and only time this has ever happened to me. And I'm a little upset about being threatened with a service failure even though I communicated everything 20hrs prior to the delivery time.

Service Failure?

Well you have no concerns if you did indeed communicate that it would be late, especially considering it was done over Qualcomm. That's one important reason why you want everything on Qualcomm and not over the phone. That Qualcomm will protect you in cases like this. They save all of those messages so they can go back and see what was said.

If your driver manager gives you a service failure for not communicating then ask for clarification. If what he claims is contrary to what you actually did then take it up the chain of command. Go to the fleet manager, the operations manager, and the terminal manager if need be and get it straightened out. It's not that your job is on the line or anything but your reputation is. You should protect your service record the same way you would protect your CDL.

And remember, remain calm and professional with everyone you speak with about this. Getting angry, making threats, or anything of the sort will hurt you in a big way. Office people "turn off" when someone starts getting nasty with them. So just remain calm and talk it through.

Oh, and before you make any calls, make a list of points you want to make. Write down the times you sent messages and who you sent them to. Write down what you were told to do and how everything played out. That way when you get someone important on the line you have a well organized and coherent set of points to make. That's the way to get important people to listen closely and consider what you're saying. Speak to them professionally and make your points in a logical, well organized manner.

Thanks, Brett. I have kept up with the times and the messages received, and who they were received from, as I have the whole thing documented. Now, I am not sure if I will actually get the service failure, or if that's just the fleet manager's way of flipping out on me over the qualcomm. Either way, I will find out next week for sure.

Now, this service failure will be a write-up. Do I sign the write-up, or reject signing it until everything is thoroughly "investigated" by someone in the company?