Comments By Justin N.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/nascar-hauler.jpg avatar
  • Justin N.
  • Comments:

Truck Stop Etiquette

Do not give money to any panhandlers at the truckstops. Doing that just encourages them to harass even more truckers.

They make far more money than any of us do and they do not even have to bother following dot rules.

Posted:  4 years ago

This Is Not Looking Good

There are some real frightening places you can get a truck into. If my boss knew half of the places I have gotten the truck trapped in I probably would have been let go.

The feeling you get when you get out of those messes though is is like a happy movie ending.

Posted:  4 years ago

Starting at Cr England Training program in March.

Nothing wrong with cr england. I went through their training program, got my cdl and was driving with a trainer in about ten days. Drove six months for them starting the day I got my cdl and that was all they required to pay for getting me the cdl.

After the six months were up I was able to get a high paying dedicated route with jbhunt and been with them for a couple years now.

Nothing I can really complain about. They got me the experience I needed without any drama like you may have read about.

Posted:  4 years ago

Managing HOS tomorrow seems like an impossibility...

Just give the walmart a call and ask if truck parking is allowed overnight.

If they say yes then it does not matter how hard they are to pull into, all walmarts have a truck entrance somewhere.

Posted:  4 years ago

Managing HOS tomorrow seems like an impossibility...

Is it your 14 or your 70 hour clock you are worried about here?

Just switch from driving to sleeper berth soon as you get to the receiver. Then do the same thing when you get to the shipper.

No matter how long it takes to get loaded you will have 7 3/4 hours left on your 70 hour clock. 90 minutes to get to the shipper. Once you are loaded you will still have 6 1/4 hours left on your 70 hour clock.

Posted:  4 years ago

First conversation with a recruiter(Roehl), not what I anticipated

No. It means I haven't had the need to return to the DMV. I've had this license for 12 years. All they had to do is pull my records.

Well it sure looks like you need to now. That or go through explaining to every single company you talk to trying to convince them you are not still a student driver.

Posted:  4 years ago

First conversation with a recruiter(Roehl), not what I anticipated

Graduated license means young inexperienced driver. I am not surprised at all that they would want you to get a full regular license before driving a truck, that is the way a lot of companies are going to see it.

School recommendation in DFW area? Or any other schools in other areas with exceptional training?

It sounds like you will do just fine. I went through one and a half weeks of training and got my cdl. That included studying and taking the permit test, and training with four other students in the same truck.

I am not good at learning new things, I got trouble comprehending stuff. If I can pass it then anyone can.

The secret is to just focus. Get as much practice and understanding as you can get. It does not take that much to get the cdl, the real learning will come with your first 12 months of experience.

Trucking movies

Do not watch Smokey and the Bandit 2, it will ruin your love of the first one.

Owning your mistakes

Last year I was driving down this farm to market road in Texas that was completely iced over. I had it in low gear doing about 2-3 miles an hour. Anything faster than that and I would start to lose control.

Then about a mile into this I see a sign pop up that says "crooked and steep downgrade". I did not do like your trainee, I kept going. Nowhere to really pull over at all so I take it. Worst decision I can ever remember making. On one side was a ditch, other side was a cliff. Every few seconds I would see my trailer start to slide off and I would have to give it just enough throttle to pull it back in line. Then there is this huge bend in the downhill slope I see coming up. Somehow though I made it to the bottom and eventually onto the main highway thanks to God.

The entire thing was a nightmare, and a mistake to even begin. I learned a lot from that experience, that was the longest 12 miles I ever drove in my life.

Worst city to drive a truck in?

Dallas is the easiest big city I know of. Just avoid i-30 and us-80 which takes you through the heart of downtown going east and west. If possible get on I-20 running along the south side of town and you can cruise through at 65-70 mph even during rush hour a lot of times.

Much of the industrial places that a truck will often deliver to is on the southwest part of town anyways, 60% of my deliveries there I just exit off of i-20 and arrive within minutes.

The Dallas Fort Worth cities have huge highways going in every direction to make it easy, that place was made for truckers.

Truck Driving: An Escape From Poverty Or A Silly Fantasy?

Before I got my cdl I did pizza delivery, flower delivery, and mail delivery. All decent driving jobs where you got home every night.

A rural carrier associate job delivering mail pays about $20 an hour here in Dallas but is a pain to get. Got to sign up for a test and then be one of the top scores out of hundreds of applicants.

Pizza delivery was the easiest job I ever got, walked right in and the guy hired me right there at the counter. It also paid pretty well, some days I made over $200 with tips, average was maybe $14 an hour before deducting fuel and other expenses.

You got to be willing to endure a lot if you want to drive a truck. I started out being on the road for six months straight without ever going home averaging about $400-$600 a week.

After that though things got a lot better. Got a dedicated route I enjoy and making $1,100-$1,300 a week and am home every weekend.

If you are not certain that trucking is what you want to do then you probably are not going to put up with all the hassles that comes with it, especially in your first year or so.

Western express

Do not stress for a second about the bad reviews, I trained for my cdl with cr england, a company that has 99% horrible reviews all over the internet, The folks there were great and I have no regrets.

Truckers are (blanks)

You have a real good trainer that is willing to actually put some extra effort and time into helping you learn.

That is a good way to do it too. Have you just kind of figure it out at your own pace while he makes sure you do not damage anything. My first trainer kept waving his hands around telling me to steer this way then that way and honestly I was not learning a thing, just was getting us both frustrated. Never really did learn to back until I signed onto a dedicated account that had me backing into the craziest truck configurations you can imagine about a dozen times a day.

Sorry to hear about your unloading time getting screwed.

Ghost stories from the road

I was driving in west Texas one night heading for Abilene on a dark state highway and saw trailer lights pulled over on the side. Did not think anything of it at first but as I was passing I got a better look. There was no truck attached to the trailer!

Hypothetical HOS situation

You do not need any break to be on duty. You can go past 14 hours on duty legally, then just take your ten hour break right there at the scales when inspection is done.

The ‘Future’ Of Trucking...In 1964

#1 reason it failed is because even back in 64 truckers did not want to have to wear uniforms with dress shoes and hats.

What made you take on truck driving?

Smokey and the Bandit(1977), Black Dog(1998), Breakdown(1997), Joy Ride(2001)

Next time you have the day off give these films a try. It is what had me wanting to drive a truck since I was a kid.

A lesson in patience and rewards…

Have fun driving next week. Still amazes me why someone would order lumber 1.500 miles away, or cable reels 3,000 miles away.

Getting the jitters

I started with the number one most hated training company as a company team driver and I have no complaints. Dispatcher gave us good loads, never had to sit around waiting, and made a little bit of money too.

It is their job to keep you going, if you are not making money then neither are they. Just do what it takes to get the job done.