Profile For Rolling Thunder

Rolling Thunder's Info

Dover, TN

Experienced Driver

5 years, 4 months ago

Rolling Thunder's Bio

Tour driver for On Tour Logistics running out of Nashville, TN currently preparing to go driving for the Thomas Rhett 2017 tour.

I have driven for:

The Smashing Pumpkins (x2), Marilyn Manson, Ricardo Arjona (x2), Juan Gabriel (RIP), Florence and the Machine (x2), Drake, Pitbull And too many one offs to remember.

Rolling Thunder's Photo Gallery

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Company Lies

Averitt Express offers profit sharing and a driver is 100% vested after only 6yrs. They also have pretty good health, dental, vision and life insurance at a decent cost (I am single and I pay about $40 a wk for all).

After being with them for 3.5 yrs, I am making .44cpm (when pulling freight). My regular "job" with them pays a weekly salary that starts at about $1,200 a week.

The only time I was in an "old" truck is when I first started and that was for 7 months I believe. Nothing but new after that.

We have apu's and inverters provided. I have a Haier fridge I bought from Walmart, a t.v., a coffee pot and a microwave plugged into it and it has not failed me yet.

My FM is awesome and I have a top notch support staff at corporate headquarters.

My point is, the good companies are out here. You just have to find them and work yourself into the top tier of their drivers. It can be done... Trust me.

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Introducing "The Road Home": TruckingTruth's New Podcast!

Hey Rolling Thunder!

I actually thought about you today. I saw an Averitt truck, and my mind just sort of automatically went, "Hmmm, I wonder what Rolling Thunder is up to?" Then here you appear... great to hear from ya!

Howdy Old School! I'm still out here living the dream and wondering when they're going to find out I have no idea what I'm doing... Haha.

Great to hear from you too!

I'm gonna try to get on here more now that I've gained enough knowledge to "slow" this gig down some. Looking forward to reconnecting with everyone and meeting some new ones.

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Introducing "The Road Home": TruckingTruth's New Podcast!

Long time no post for me. Been crazy busy. Anyway, just listened to the podcast and it is great. I shared it on F-book for my son (thinking about jumping in a truck) and maybe get non-drivers to listen to for knowledge of the industry.

South Jersey to Long Island trip planning help

Hey Big Country, First, I would always give myself at least 2 hrs for loading/unloading and tarping. If you have never been there then I would add 2 more hours (4 total) to compensate for whatever. So, if you burn over 7 hrs (including driving) then you still have the driving hours with about 7 remaining on the 14. How far can you get in 7 hrs?

That is how I plan my next move. Always have a first choice and a back up location in mind just in case. Planning ahead will save your butt and make your driving life easier.

Thanks

Your level of nerves is all your own. Embrace the challenge and attack with your eyes wide open. The road will challenge you in ways you have never thought of. Always, every day, learn and improve. Be willing to be taught. Be willing to teach. The most important thing is, know why you are a trucker. Have an out and work towards it.

Hi

Do you get to watch the shows..should be some kind of perks but I guess not for truckers...

It's not all doom and gloom as a truck driver. Yes, we see the shows, but, we also have to be ready to load out and roll after the show. We are literally the night drivers. When trucks are rolling out of the truck stops in the morning, we are rolling in praying there are enough empty spaces so we can just park and sleep. Then off to the next show.

Hi

That's awesome.. Did you get to meet them??

Nope. We did (our part of) load in yesterday and they go on Saturday night. There is no meet and greet for tour drivers.

One of these days...

Yes. Sir. I am in for several copies to distribute around my OTL family.

Hi

It`s been a while. I just wanted to drop in and say hello to the drivers on this forum who helped me get where I am now. I am parked in San Francisco near AT&T Park until load out Saturday night. Metallica y`all. A dream come true for me. I am working on three years in and loving it. Thank you all so much for giving me a solid foundation to grow from. Brett, thank you. Old School, thank you... Um... The guy from England, Arkansas, thank you. Thanks to everyone who kept it positive.

Newbs : Listen to what the veteran drivers say and apply the lessons to your current situation. Practice Practice Practice. Learn to drive by the seat of your pants. NEVER give up.

Seeing your trailer at night!?

I have my mirrors adjusted to where I can see the tandems at all times. The big mirrors are good for slight turns and the spot(?) mirrors for the tighter ones. Our trailers have red lights on the corners also. Just remember to take it as wide as you need to and don't forget the truck has a front end too.

This Town Is Angry At ‘Napping’ Truckers — And Here’s What They’re Doing About It

This makes me too mad to write a clean response to this arrogant mindless stupidity, so...

Sigh, Not Every Trucker is a Gentleman or Lady.

Errol is right on here. I would have a hard time picking out one of those moments to highlight here... It happens all the time unfortunately.

Do not let these "truck drivers" intimidate you. Take a deep breath, smile and drive on knowing that you trip planned with time to spare and when you see the dufus who is being aggressive again, he or she may likely be donating a lot of money to the bear den or a dragon wagon... And way way behind.

Officers Search Semi Truck Because Driver’s Clothes Were Too Clean. This Is What They Found.

Let this be a lesson to future truck drivers everywhere: be a dirty slob, wear filthy clothes, and keep yourself generally unpresentable; you'll blend right in!

Ha! I think they may have understated his appearance.

Wow dude copped to it, they must have gave him a deal. You think after 1.2million people would call it quits and move to Belize or something. Greed.

Wasn't his money.

OTL-Averitt Express Looking For Top Tier Drivers

Oh, I know the driving part isn't lucky. I'm meaning that my husband is supportive and is tolerant of me having a schedule that keeps me out of the house for long periods of time.

Yeah, I failed horribly at trying to draw a comparison. 👍🏻

OTL-Averitt Express Looking For Top Tier Drivers

Question, why is hazmat needed for hauling stage gear?

Phil

Touring "season" runs from Jan. to Nov. For the majority of acts. There are also gaps between tours that range from a few days to a few weeks. We also typically start a tour in Nashville.

So, In order to keep the cash flowing we have the option of running truck load. It is Averitt policy that all truck load drivers must have hazmat. This also gives our FM's another tool to get the OTL drivers who's domicile is hundreds of miles from Nashville there by having access to more loads.

Posted:  3 years ago

Make sure you scale

I'm guessing it does not matter if there was a scale receipt.

I got hit for being 2400 over on my trailer tandems a couple months ago in Ohio. It was a $227 ticket. It was on ME to scale it and I didn't because I felt I had to roll fast to my destination.

The company I drive for paid it. I was not given a reason why and never felt the need to ask. I just said thanks and went on to the next assignment.

Posted:  3 years ago

Jeep Wrangler

Thanks for the input guys!

Has anyone else with the late 90's early 2000's models had trans problems around 100,000 miles? I've heard it from one or two other people, just wondering if this is a common problem.

Nope

Posted:  3 years ago

Feeling to unaccomplished

Some people find that purchasing a small toy tractor trailer rig and then pushing it around in reverse helps them to visualize how it all worked together when backing.

That's what we did when I was in school and it helped a lot. We had a little $5 plastic truck from Walmart that bent at the 5th wheel just like a regular truck and we'd push that around on the table. It really helped us understand how the trailer reacted to movements by the tractor and helped us understand strategies to use when setting up or pulling up also.

Usually when people are struggling with backing there's something small but important that just hasn't clicked yet. One of these days you're gonna get in the truck, you're going to discover something you hadn't noticed before, and you're instantly going to be much better than you were. Once things begin to click for you you'll do fine. Don't sweat it.

And by the way, whether or not you pick up on backing as quickly as others is ultimately no indicator of how good you'll be as a driver. There are a million factors that go into being a great professional out there and more of it revolves around your decision making than it does your skillset. So don't let this concern you at all. Keep at it. You'll get it soon enough, just like everyone does.

smile.gif

This⬆️⬆️

Posted:  3 years ago

My Prime student had an accident

Ouch. There is structure damage, but, no human damage... So, I would say the student will lose some points. No biggie. This is why there is a point system.

As long as he has learned a lesson from this, all will be good.