Comments By Rolling Thunder

https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y517/jdmcountry/435a561c-bbf0-461a-aca7-0af967f587c9_zpskszttoox.jpg avatar

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

D.O.T. followed me for about eight miles...

Well Dave, he knows you are a grain hauler, so he was pretty sure you were over weight, or you are gonna be speeding. He was probably just waiting for you to start speeding so he could pull you over. You did good, you stayed within the speed limit. Great job man! You averted a disaster.

HA HA! Yep

OTL-Averitt Express Looking For Top Tier Drivers

Driving opportunities like this make me happy I have a husband who is fine with me being gone all the time and a daughter who is grown. It's really a lucky situation to be in.

Everything starts with the first step... Which is the hardest one. For the record, I did not get here by luck alone. I am literally just past two years of experience driving a big rig. My first year got me here.

Here is the key: I know what it takes to drive a big truck on this level of the industry. Have confidence in yourselves and always... Always drive with humility and care.

OTL-Averitt Express Looking For Top Tier Drivers

I drive for Averitt and after reading this I did some checking, Rolling Thunder is right on the money with his info and I was going to "apply" for this till I read the away time, I like truckload for my weekends off so it wasn't for me.

Thanks for the back up James. Stay safe out there.

OTL-Averitt Express Looking For Top Tier Drivers

A production run is for a single show or event. For example, award shows, special appearances etc.

Sorry, but, Averitt has a no pet policy.

Background checks

I agree. Hireright is the place to go. For a driving record check with your DMV. You can usually get a copy for a small fee. If you will be going to Canada, it is a good idea to pull your FBI wrap sheet. That is what is checked by the border people. You can get one from FBI.gov. It is $18 and takes a couple months to come in.

Jeep Wrangler

I have a 97 Wrangler 4.0 with a straight six motor and a 5 speed manual transmission that I bought in 2009. It now has over 170,000 miles on it. The only things I have had to replace are a starter, shocks, tires, front bearings, tie rod, u joints and brakes. That's it except for normal tune ups.

I love it and will not part with it for anything.

OTL-Averitt Express Looking For Top Tier Drivers

Hmm sounds like a ploy to get some driver referrals especially the mandatory 4 months with averit without even a hint if you could even run the gig.

That said I always did want to be on tour. Seen several bands up close and in person at my cousins venue in Texas.

Just my gut is telling me sounds too good to be true. I mean that's my gut reaction.

Recruiters have said flat out lies to hire me on. Now I regret my decision.

I understand your skepticism, but, this is legit.

The ones who read this and sent me a PM can vouch that I, not once, asked them to give my name or driver number if they apply. I am a driver not a recruiter. I put the 4 month line in to let whomever is interested know right off that they will not be hired directly into this division. They, just like the rest of us did, have to prove themselves first.

The only reason I posted this is to help get some quality, willing drivers to become candidates because we (OTL) have had to turn down gigs because we did not have the number of drivers needed. We were all on tour or dedicated to production runs.

This is a cool way to earn money but getting and keeping high caliber drivers is difficult. They either mis understood the length of time out or was unaware that we drive hard from one venue to the next.

I hope this eased your concerns. As you can see I have posted many times here and gave myself a huge head start by utilizing the training materials. I am grateful for this site and am just trying to give back by dropping a little insider information.

OTL-Averitt Express Looking For Top Tier Drivers

Ok. The opportunity to work with OTL is really appealing to me, but I'm thinking I'll still have to go with company sponsored training to afford the CDL training. That means at least 1 year with Prime before my obligation is satisfied. However, it will give me enough time to really get a feel for driving a truck, and hopefully I can make a transfer sometime after that directly into OTL, if they are still looking at that time. So, unless I happen to have some sort of windfall, that's likely going to be the course of action I'll take.

Thank you so very much for being so forthcoming and answering all my questions. I really appreciate it!

Be safe and take care!

I strongly believe the opportunity will still be here. One thing though, no one goes directly into OTL from another company no matter how long they have been driving trucks. The min 4 months of driving with Averitt in another division is so they can "feel" you out and see if you fit.

My experience has taught me that a not so seasoned driver is a better candidate than a 20yr veteran because they haven't developed the wrong bad habits yet. Lol. Do your thing and if you decide take the leap I am sure we will catch you.

Thanks you take care and you be safe too.

OTL-Averitt Express Looking For Top Tier Drivers

Weird. I was on Averitt's site and they said that tattoos must be covered, you have to wear dress pants and will be issued a uniform, and hair must be a naturally occurring color (no green or purple, etc.) Is the appearance requirement only during the orientation/training phase and when you're driving for that side, and I'll be able to look "normal" (well, normal for me anyway) once I'm accepted into OTL?

This is actually important because I'll need to know how to be properly groomed when I'm there.

Don't read too much into that. They apparently haven't updated the site yet. Averitt has dropped many of their higher standards to fill seats. The uniform thing is true. We wear black and the type of clothing is up to you. T-shirts and Polo are the most common. Shorts are perfectly fine.

All other Averitt peeps wear red shirts and gray pants/shorts. I am not a fan of uniforms, except the black. Totally cool with these.

OTL-Averitt Express Looking For Top Tier Drivers

Thank you SO VERY MUCH for the information. I will research licensed CDL schools in my area and see what kinds of information I can gather. This is VERY exciting, and I'm really looking forward to the possibility of being able to tour again, just in a different capacity this time.

Stay safe, and if you have any other pearls of wisdom, please let me know. Also, I might take you up on the offer to PM you with specific questions off forum if I have anything else to ask.

thank-you-2.gif

Cool, PM me any time.

OTL-Averitt Express Looking For Top Tier Drivers

Ok, so I would apply before I obtained my CDL? And if I was to apply, what position would I be applying for? I'm pretty sure regional is not it. Would it be the Dedicated/Supply Chain Student Driver Training Program?

Coolio. Not having to uproot my husband would be awesome.

That's good. I would love to have a schedule of about 4 - 6 weeks on, 1 week off. That's standard touring time, and if off time is 1 - 2 weeks in between that's totally doable and exactly what I would be looking for. However, if touring runs are 2 - 3 months (or more) at a time I'm TOTALLY ok with that! More road time = better everything!

And I'm pretty sure I'm not sketchy. I've worked around enough "famous" people that other than giving them the respect they deserve, I don't freak out if I see someone famous. (I reserve the right to stare awkwardly if I ever run into Robert Plant though.....)

Funny you should say that. I ran across him at Bonnaroo earlier this year and almost literally ran into Billy Joel while walking to catering.

You would apply to regional truck load. Then when hired you let them know your intent to become a member of the OTL team. Pretty much it. Show them what your made of for 4 mo, remind them and they will likely schedule you for the OTL class/interview process. It is only one (paid) day.

OTL-Averitt Express Looking For Top Tier Drivers

We don't do tankers at all.

If you were to be hired by Averitt out of school, you would be with a trainer for 5 wks then go solo. The four months would start when training ends.

We go to any and all venues. I am on a 9 truck tour right now.

Now my curiosity is super piqued. I'll definitely look into Averitt. If I'm interested, I would have to complete CDL training on my own first, and then apply, correct? Also, if I live in VA will that be an issue? And, finally, are you at liberty to say how much road time you average in a year?

Nah, it's better to apply while in school. This will give them time to do their thing and get back to you in time so that you do not have a long gap between school and driving.

We have yards in VA, so, no problem there.

A lot. I usually take a few days off after a tour and may run truck load for a week until I am put on another. That truly depends on the driver. If the attitude is sketchy, it will be reflected with little tour time.

OTL-Averitt Express Looking For Top Tier Drivers

Sounds like a fun gig. Last year when I was considering getting my cdl I actually thought about something like this. I actually read about a class that stagecoach offers in Nashville for entertainment industry driving. I only live a couple hours north of there.

Never hurts to talk to them. May find exactly what you're looking for...

OTL-Averitt Express Looking For Top Tier Drivers

We don't do tankers at all.

We go to any and all venues. I am on a 9 truck tour right now.

OTL-Averitt Express Looking For Top Tier Drivers

Just read what I have written and want to elaborate on the "right stuff" comment.

It does not matter at all how you look, your lifestyle or anything else superficial like that. We truly become family out here so a good attitude is the number one item we look at. A calm demeanor, willingness to participate in our shenanigans, lack of being star struck, willingness to work and interact as a team member and the ability to smile are also key.

smile.gif

OTL-Averitt Express Looking For Top Tier Drivers

This is awesome! I was considering doing entertainment trucking after getting a couple of years driving under my belt, possibly even tour bus driving. I've toured with bands before (on the production team) and I'm going to miss the environment.

I'm curious about the hazmat and flatbed requirements. Most concert trucks I've seen have been regular box trailers. Can I ask what else is transported that would need these qualifications?

I had considered looking into Upstaging Lighting and Transport, Stagecall, and Star Coaches (for tour bus driving.) I'll be sure to keep On Tour Logistics on my list of possibilities after I've gotten some experience under my belt.

Absolutely do some research on the other companies and coach.

We also haul staging (flatbed) around. I have done it only once and it's not so bad. We pick 'em up already loaded and strapped. Double check straps, pre-trip and roll. We pull up, they pop straps, unload and we go away. Very easy stuff. There are more perks, but, it is easier for me to answer questions directly instead trying to list them.

This may be changing very soon, but, right now we have the option of running truckload between tours to keep the money flowing. In order to get us where we need to be (usually Nashville) to start a tour, Hazmat runs give the FM's a lot more loads to choose from so, it is currently a requirement. It is for Averitt truckload anyway.

Fyi, you do not need 2yrs experience to drive for OTL. Not even 1yr. It is possible to be doing this after only 4 months... Even out of school. We have an awesome training and evaluation process that can take a rookie with the right stuff and bring them along.

As I said above, do all the research you can to make the right move.

One more fyi from a coach drivers mouth, they have to clean the busses... You toured so, let that sink in.

Good luck on whatever path you take and be safe.

Inclement weather

Hey Devan,

Slow and smoothe is how I approach wintery roads. If the conditions are too bad then get off of the road. No load is worth more than you. I have found that the northern roads are better than southern when snow is falling. They have the equipment and experience to handle it. As for icy roads, I don't move unless I absolutely have to, and, that will be at a snail pace.

Severe storms can pop up anywhere, but, you can get a heads up with some weather apps. Preparation is always key to having a smoothe safe run. If you do find yourself driving towards a storm, I would be looking for places to stop and park until it passed. Again, put your safety first.

Good luck and safe driving

OTL-Averitt Express Looking For Top Tier Drivers

Hey Brett and Mods, I hope I can post this here. If not, do your thing.

On Tour Logistics, a division of Averitt Express, is looking for professional drivers with a no fail work ethic and a good attitude to be a tour and/or production driver for the entertainment industry. This division is growing at a very rapid rate for us and we need drivers.

Here are some of the current requirements:

• Clean safety record
  • Clean criminal history
  • 4 months of employment with Averitt as a driver in any division. While in that 4 month period the driver must maintain at least 8 safety points (you start with 8 from day 1).
  • Hazmat certification
  • A recommendation from your FM.
  • Having a passport and being flatbed certified are mandatory, but, these can be completed after acceptance.

The driver will be out from a couple weeks to several months at a time depending on the needs of the client. (my longest stretch has been just over 2 mo.).

Pay is on a salary basis while on tour. Production runs are paid by the mile plus extras.

You can PM me for more info.

Tanker Driver Dies Swerving To Avoid Hurting Motorists

All of this speculation and "what I would do is..." kind of stuff is fine for teaching purposes, but, the reality is you have absolutely no idea what you would do in any given traffic hazard the required a split second reaction. There are way too many factors involved to predict what would be the right response.

As has already been said, the best way to avoid a potential crash is to not be in it. Keeping a good distance is the only right answer.

It saddens me to see stories like this or drive by crashes where it is obvious live(s) have been lost no matter the cause. Someone lost a loved one.

Question about Obamacare

Short answer: You had insurance most of 2015, changed jobs, and your employer offers it, but you do not yet qualify for company coverage. That makes you exempt from any fine.

Really no big deal. Read up on the IRS site.