Comments By DSTURBD

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/128.jpg avatar
  • DSTURBD
  • Comments:

Start CDL School for Stevens Transport Mon. 6/6/16 (Whew, glad that one is in that date!!)

DISTURBED wrote:

I think it's awesome that you intend to be professional when it comes to performing the pre-trip, we all thank you for that.

However I would suggest that stating a fact such as "most drivers are lackadaisical about performing the PTI" is perhaps what you have observed during a very short period of time and likely does not represent the majority of professional drivers. Beyond what you have actually observed, this is a blanket statement, without factual basis and only your opinion. And for the record, I do not agree with you. shocked.png

Please stick to what you actually know to be fact.

Sorry, didn't mean for it to come out that way, but you are absolutely right. Should have been, "From what I've seen so far..."

DSTURBD

Hey there guys, I would love to think that my new tractor would appreciate me taking care of it and treating it with respect (I always tend to project human qualities on inanimate objects and treat them the way I would like to be treated). I would like to make my PTI's a religious experience, at least for the first few months, and get to know my tractor and it's idiosyncrasies and problem areas. I know that most people get kind of lackadaisical about PTI's after they know their rig and it's idiosyncrasies, but that is not me. Granted, most things are fairly constant and don't change much, but staying on top of it can only make things better. I would love to pull through the safety lane at the yard and have them say, "You're good to go." each time.

I also need to figure out just how often they will pay for a truck wash as I hate a dirty truck! I know that the job is the most important thing, but it really bugs me to have a dirty truck! I love seeing other trucks go by that are clean and shiny and looking right and I want mine to be the same! Stevens buys very nice equipment and I would like to keep it looking proper and making a statement as to how nice it is to be driving top-notch equipment. When I started to research companies going into all of this, I started with the ones that I was impressed with their equipment and thought that I would be happy running that equipment. My trainers would let their trucks get dirty and not think about it, but that is not me. I want my truck to be clean and shiny!! It can only help going through inspection stations and such. Beside the fact that I will be in that truck and taking pride in how it looks and performs!!

Oh well, this is probably all very rookie in essence and I'm sure that I will learn better, but I hope that I will not lose the desire to have a clean truck that makes a statement and is an example of the best of the industry.

DSTURBD smile.gif

09/17/16

Okay, not really sure just where to try to start, but here goes. Finished on the road training the day before yesterday. Got my last mountain in at about 9:30 in the morning and my hours were already complete by then. After that, we just finished the load and delivered. Then, we went to the yard as it was just about thirty minutes away. It was really weird as it seemed kind of anti-climatic. I expected to feel some kind of over-the-top excitement or euphoria, but it was more just part of the job and the current situation as it wound down to delivery and the "Empty at Destination" macro on the Qualcom. Don't get me wrong, I was very glad to have my training complete and get off of his truck with thoughts of getting my own truck. Also, I would never run team. I did that years ago for Motor Cargo, pulling doubles, and I will never, never do that again!! But it was kind of depressing logging out and leaving his truck. Does that seem weird? It does to me!! I had no storage space, the top bunk, and nothing that will make living out of my tractor pleasant and comfortable, and there is simply not enough room for two people!!!! So just why was I so torn to be leaving his truck?!?!? The only thing that I can think of is that after having such a "Freddy Krueger" nightmare of a trainer the first time around, it was kind of difficult to actually leave the great trainer I had after that. Also, I'm sure that there is some part of the "Uh oh, now it's all on me and I'm not sure I'm ready." complex going on.

I am now at home in Yuma, CO staying in my favorite motel (remember, I let my rental house go as I knew that I wouldn't be home for about three months when I left for CDL school). I have an entire week, but I still feel this immediacy of having to get things done right away, even though I am supposed to be relaxing. That is a very unsettling feeling!! I went and got my mail today and there was about five pounds of it. My meds from the VA were there which was great (no more $200 for 14 pills instead of $5 for a sixty day supply). I need to sit down and make lists of things to accomplish while I am here as I have the time to get things done, unless I fritter around and don't get organized right away.

At this point, I am really in a quandry. I know the things I need to get done, and I know that I am supposed to relax and re-energize, but it seems like that is the the last thing that will happen. I just hope that I will wake up with a more settled mind in the morning. It is really amazing how the "on-the-road progression of one objective to the next and get them done" mentality takes over and makes it hard to think in any other way. I need to make lists of things I will need to have when I head out with my own truck, and intend to hit Walmart and get everything taken care of. I have to wonder, just how many things will I forget?!?!?!?

I have a master plan!!!! Tomorrow is Sunday and is for nothing but football!!!!!!!! (I was raised on TV and even though I haven't experienced any withdrawals through all of this, I am cognizant of all of my favorite shows that I am missing!!!) If an entire day of football doesn't clear my mind as to getting other things done in the next few days, then I am in trouble!!

All in all, I am very glad to have my training complete and am very glad to get my own tractor and get it set up to live in. I just hope that I get lucky and get a fairly new one and don't have to jump on a plane to go recover an abandoned one as my tractor!!!!

Not really sure where to go from here, if you have questions, please reply and ask them and I will do my best to answer them.

Don't get me wrong, I am still very much enjoying this and can't wait for it to progress further!!!! smile.gif

DSTURBD

Great to hear. Waiting to see a pic of you with your own truck.

Ha ha, oh believe me Scott, the pic will definitely be in this post when it happens!!!!!! LOL rofl-3.gifsmile.gif

DSTURBD

See, and you thought having that first trainer was nothing but horrible. Turns out he taught you exactly how not to act as a professional. He also taught you that not all drivers are treated the same. The top tier drivers are indeed treated better. If you run all of the loads they give you safely and on time and keep lobbying for more miles you're going to get them. You'll be in better equipment, you'll get special favors, you'll get along famously with dispatch, and overall things will work out great.

It sucks you didn't have much fun with that first trainer but you learned the most important lesson there are for a new driver - prove yourself to be a top tier driver and handle your job like a true professional and your company will reward you for it and treat you that way.

And make sure you spread the word! I'm sure you've already come across your fair share of whiners and complainers out there who can't get any miles and hate their company. Let em know how things really work. Will they listen? Not all of them. But hey, that's not your problem. You told them how everything works and it's up to them to make it happen.

Really glad to hear you're enjoying yourself and things are going well. I hate it that your first trainer was a bozo but believe me, it was worth it for you. You learned some of the most important lessons there are to learn about finding happiness and success in this industry.

Looking forward to your upgrade to solo. Won't be long now!

smile.gif

Thanks Brett, yeah I agree, totally!!

DSTURBD

Great journals DSTURBD! 21st century learning curve can be a little awkward, but it's good to know you've made it this far. Can't wait to read the end of the story. . heck, I think someone might want to option it for the next indie trucking film LOL! I'll be heading out to the same school, right behind you . . 1st Denver, then on to Dallas.

I am really grateful you took the time to share your story here. Plenty of people can relate to your story on many levels. I wish you continued success, and hope to follow your progress at least till you tell us about your shiny black solo rig. By then I'll be on that same range you used to shake off the driving cobwebs.Hang in there, let the negativity/drama slide off and don't forget to breathe.

Hey there Lumber Jack! Thanks for your encouragement. Things are going great with my new trainer. Funny how good the loads are when your trainer is not shouting at their DM and refusing loads. LOL Yeah, I'm in the last half of level 6 with one mountain and about twenty-five or thirty more driving hours to go. Headed for CA now, so should get my last mountain tomorrow. Got one last night. No time to write more now, gotta do my online quizzes for level 6.

Been too busy runnin' loads to have time to post. I will catch it up later. I wouldn't leave y'all hangin'!!!!!! rofl-3.gif

ALMOST DONE!!!!!!!! WOOHOO!!!!!!!! dancing-banana.gifdancing-dog.gif

Still lovin' it!! smile.gif

9/2/16

Okay, it's Friday, the beginning of the holiday weekend and I've finally got a chance to do an update. We have been running the truck the limit of the 19 hours a day that we can during the final stages of training. We got to the yard here in Dallas Tues. evening and had to get some work done on the truck. We ran a local load Wed. evening and were just going to do that Thurs. and Fri. before my trainer's home time this weekend, but some of the work they did on the truck wasn't right and then they didn't have the parts. So, we have been sitting a couple of days and there was some worry that I might have to be reassigned to a different trainer so that I could be running this weekend. I was really worried as I now have a great trainer and don't want to change. Well, I saw my new student counselor and she looked at my record and said, "No, with the holiday you're fine. You guys have been running really hard, just relax this weekend and as long as you roll out Tues., you'll be just fine on your hours. Enjoy your weekend!" Needless to say, I was quite relieved to hear that!! I'm just planning to sleep here on the truck, although I may go rent a motel room one night to relax, watch what I want to on TV, have a shower to myself, and maybe even have a beverage or two as a reward to myself.

As far as training goes, I have 5.6 hours left on level 5, and then I start level 6 (the final one). I had hoped to have 5 finished so that my level 6 on-line lessons would load and I could get them done this weekend, but the wait for parts kinda messed that up. Level 6 is 50 more driving hours and I still need two more mountains for my requirements, then I'll be done. My counselor was asking me today when I wanted to take my time off, before or after Grad school. I had planned on doing it after Grad school and getting my truck, but to get me a load going close enough to home without a personal vehicle is next to impossible, and the cost of my meds makes it imperative that I take my pick-up and go home and get my meds out of my PO box as soon as possible. The ones I have might just last that long, and I am NOT paying another $200-400 for them when I can get them mailed to me for $5.00. Oh well, we'll see how it works out.

Anyway, that's where I'm at, but I am getting kinda excited to get done and get my own truck!! smile.gif

A historic day in trucking

I'm in Sanford, NC. When I was a kid, we lived in Havelock and the parents had real close friends that lived in New Bern. Very pretty area!

A historic day in trucking

Hey Chickie!!

Hell, I'm jealous!! I really wanted to see that show and meet her, but I'm sitting in North Carolina. The good news is that there seems to be a new video from her of her booth. I'm gonna have to go try to find that right after I finish this.

Kudos on meeting one of your real-life heroes!!!!!

Enjoy the show!!

8/25/16

Thanks guys!

Almost did my first 600 mile day yesterday, but was running very low on my 11. Final was 598.4. Close, but no cigar!! shocked.png We made it from Oklahoma City (re-powered another driver there) to our receiver (Walmart DC) in Mebane, NC in just over 21 hours, rest break included! Light load, so she was walkin' up and down the hills in TN in grand style!! That was a lot of fun to drive!! LOL

Sitting here in my trainer's home town doing a 34 hour reset as he needed to pick up the fridge for his truck that his parents got him and I needed to have my VA doc call in my prescription someplace I could pick it up. We head out again bright and early Saturday morning, but probably will not be able to finish by Labor day like we wanted. I will have to wait the four days he will be off with his kid. I don't know if they will have me do local stuff or just sit. Guess I'll find out. The only problem is that it is just that much longer before I start making regular paychecks instead of training pay. I think I'm okay for now, but if it goes too much longer I may have problems with some bills that don't take kindly to late or missed payments (gov't student loans and VA med payments).

Anyway, I'm sitting here 1000% happier and equally as stress-free!! I am now officially in level 5 of my training out of 6 levels, and only have a few more hours to drive to finish level 5.

WOW!!!! Just went and picked up my pills. I pay a $5.00 co-pay for a 30 or 60 day supply through the VA, mailed to me. Since this had to be called in to a retail pharmacy, it was $190.00 for 14 pills!!!!! Just enough till I can get home as I have a full supply waiting in my PO box there. Holy cow!! I have a whole new respect for what the VA does for me, and I was already very happy with them!!!

Anyway, Later guys. smile.gif

8/23/16

Hey guys, This is the first chance I've had to update things. Got my new trainer Sunday. He is a younger guy and so far, it has been great!! He is much more into actually instructing, is very laid back, and the first thing he told me is that we will have fun because if you can't have fun doing this then it's just not worth doing! After the first couple of times I drove, he now just goes in the back and says, "You've got this. If you need anything, just holler." He sleeps while I drive so that we can run the truck more hours in each day. He has already cleared up a few of the procedures that were still very much in question with the other guy. Also, the fact that he has no problem sleeping while I drive tells me that I was right before, that the other guy was just being a control freak and my driving skills are just fine! (As they were twenty years ago!) I have already completed another full level of training since getting on this truck and it is great not to be stressed out every second of every day. Plus, this guy is focused on getting my remaining mountain requirements taken care of and really communicates what his intentions are and how we are going to do it. My goodness, if I had started with this trainer, I'd probably be done already. He graduated a trainee on Saturday and they flew him back to Dallas and flew me out to get on this truck! He says that we will be completely done by Labor Day and I don't doubt it as we have really been running hard! I'm racking up some serious miles and hours!

Will try to check in again soon. smile.gif

DSTURBD

Yeah but think about this.......you're going slow up a hill and it aggravates a four wheeler who passes you, jumps in front of you, jumps on the brakes almost causing you to run over him, gives you the finger, and drives off. It happens all too often.

Then you get to the customer, you're the only truck there, and they tell you to sit in the parking lot and they'll come get you when they're ready. Six hours later and not one single truck has shown up all day but you're still sitting there because the place doesn't like truckers and they think it's funny to mess with you. It happens all too often.

Another time you're getting unloaded. You have 22 pallets. They take off 20 pallets and stop unloading you because it's lunchtime and it's a union dock. They get an hour lunch. You sit there for two more hours before they finally take the last two pallets off, and they do that just because they can. It happens all too often.

With the heavy traffic, tight schedules, gigantic snowstorms, construction, low bridges, 18 hour days six days a week, a completely reckless motoring public, and a society that thinks truckers are the lowest level of humans in our society trucking is nothing but a hostile work environment most of the time.

If the guy is just entirely too much to bear then request a new trainer. But that's just one small problem out of the way. There's going to be an endless stream of problems every day of your life out there and with most of them there isn't a thing you can do about it but deal with it in your own mind. How you deal with the constant stress, challenges, and hardships that you'll face out there month after month, year after year will determine whether you're happy and enjoying life, or bitter and miserable all the time.

If you do request a new trainer I would simply say you're not getting along and leave it at that for now. Document the things he's been saying, including the date and time. At some point you might consider reporting his behavior in great detail but I wouldn't risk it right now until you're out of his truck and running solo.

Hey there Brett, Yeah, I agree. All of those things have happened and they really don't bother me much as, like you say, that is all just part of the job. I had decided to just say that his teaching style and my learning style just don't match.

DSTURBD

Well, I would say just relax in your hotel room and take tomorrow as it comes. Get into a new truck with a new trainer. Get through your training and into your own truck. If a trainer is bashing a company to a trainee, they shouldn't be a trainer. My opinion.

Hey there Scott. Yeah, my sentiments exactly. I tried to take it all with a grain of salt, but it all just got really wierd. I have to talk to "Safety" tomorow and I am hesitant to be truly forthcoming as I don't know just how much will be shared with my trainer and he has already said that he will trash me if anything compromising comes to light. My one ace in the hole is that I have a true claim for "hostile work environment" if it comes to that.

I just want to drive a truck and do a good job. Is that so very much to ask?!?!?!?

08/18/16

Okay, gonna go out on a limb here. After Brett's posts after my previous melt-down, I hesitate to get into too much detail or try to relate what actually happened, but I finally requested a new trainer today. I have read all of the posts saying that it is best to just gut it out and get through it when you have a less than optimal trainer. Believe me, that is exactly what I tried to do. When my trainer would go too far and just be out there, he would realize it and work extra hard to mend the fences. I had to give him the benefit of the doubt and try to put it in the past. It worked quite well the first couple of times and I decided that maybe I would stay with him and try to get through it. However, I do have to say that I was at the point of calling my student councelor each time to tell her to get me off of this truck. He seemed to realize that I had been pushed to my limit and did the big apology and back pedal to get us back to okay. I'm sorry, but I just do not respond well to screaming and shouting in my face, ridiculing me, and name calling such as liar, lazy, mentally retarded, not paying attention, etc. Now bear in mind that this guy has such a thick eastern european accent that I have to pay particular attention just to understand what he is saying!!! Therefore, I am quite sure that I am paying very close attention to what he says. Oh, and by the way, this guy goes through DM's like the rest of us go through underwear. He's got a new one now that he says is a total incompetant and liar and then when the guy answers the phone, he says, "Jason, my beloved DM, how you doing today?!?!?

The funny thing is that this guy constantly rails on how every single person at Stevens is an incompetant liar and how they should all be fired right now, today. Then, we got stuck in the LA floods and sat for two days. He was all ****ed off and was saying that Stevens should have re-routed us. The funny thing is that they did re-route us twice and he ignored it both times saying that he was not going to go that way as it was so many more unpaid miles!! Oh, and by the way, this guy is a lease driver. If this is what leasing does to people, then I now totally realize what this site has been trying to say about leases. I'm serious!!!!!.......This guy is an absolute lunatic!!!! I could write two pages on his twisted ideas about HOS and Qualcom postings!!!!

So, I guess I'll find out tomorrow what is going to happen. I rented my own motel room tonight instead of a company one as I want to have a room to myself to decompress, relax, shower and catch up on finances and personal paper work, as well as get my head back on straight.

At this point, I would really like to have a few days off, but I know that could be a problem of a whole new variety. The problem is that I am running low an a couple of my maintenance meds and they are sitting in my P.O. box at home and I am 900 miles away from them. They are VA supplied so there are some restrictions as to how I can get them.

The thing is that I do really enjoy operating the equipment, going to the shippers and receivers, and seeing different parts of the country. I am just trying to figure out how to get through training and into my own truck as I drove for years before and I know that I am competant and skilled. I know that after a few loads, my DM will realize that I can be counted on to deliver and all of this wierdness will be in the past. But........how do I get there?!?!?!?!?

Sorry for the rambling........DSTURBD

You came down Monteagle??? Did you head through Chattanooga?

Sorry, but to be honest, I'm not real sure. There was a lot going on with talk about the rest of my requirements out west and how we were going to get some western runs. I do know that we didn't actually go through any towns, we stayed on the interstates. confused.gif

DSTURBD

Is your trainer bi polar?

Ha, ha, I really have to wonder! One minute he's happy as a clam and joking around, and the next, he's P.O.'d at the whole world and nothing can change his mood! Sometimes it coincides with a call from his D.M., but not always. Yesterday, he was all happy about how I did on my grade descent, went into the sleeeper for a few seconds and came out an entirely different person!! I know it couldn't have been anything I did as we were just cruising down the interstate at 62 mph. No big deal, nothing special. wtf.gifconfused.gif

8/13/16

Well, got my first mountain check-off yesterday. Eagle Mountain, Tennesee. Only five miles long, but a good 6% grade...piece of cake. Not looking forward to 40 miles down off Donner Pass!!

Well, sitting here in northern FL, waiting for our 0300 delivery appt. so I thought I'd get an update done and then dive into my level 4 on line training quizzes.

Just a quick question......are all trainers bi-polar lunatics?!?!?!? LOL rofl-3.gif

08/07/16

Well, just a little update here to pass some time. I am doing a 34 hr reset here at the Stevens yard and it has been soooooo good to just relax and get laundry done and some TV watched. Took really long showers as I had the time to do so and loved it!! Went to Walmart and doubled up on underwear and got some more T-shirts and shorts so laundry shouldn't be so critical from here on out, ha ha. rofl-3.gif

Also, my trainer lives here in town so he went home for his time. It is absolutely amazing how much more spacious and comfortable the truck is with just one person in it!! Not to mention that when I get my truck, I will have the bottom bunk (major, major consideration for comfort), and all of the storage for my things. I hate living out of a duffle bag!!!

Feeling very rested though and none of the niggling little worries of things needed and having to do without until who knows when. We get back at it tomorrow and I am ready to go!! Hoping for loads going lots of miles and west this time around!! smile.gif

DSTURBD

Thanks for the update! I've been wondering how you were doing.

Sounds like everything is going well! How much longer do you have in training?

We're shooting for five weeks total, which means that I have about three more weeks or a little less. It depends a lot on our loads as the requirement is 240 hours of drive time, plus all the check-offs for various things like mountains, etc.

DSTURBD

Great to hear from you and that things are going well. When will you get to road test for your CDL?

Hey there Scott, Already have it. This is the road training to get my solo truck assigned. That's why I was so discouraged by the doctor. He was preventing the last leg of my journey.