Comments By PR aka Road Hog

https://pogoprinciple.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/mr-magoo-car-color-crop.jpg avatar

Anyone know a math formula?

They want the guys to manually go through mapbooks and figure mileage, hours, etc. Any easy formula?

I use a 50 mph rule because its easy. Thats 2 hrs for every 100 miles. So, 800 miles = 16 hrs. I add an hour to that to cover my 30 min 'lunch break' and 2 bio breaks, plus an additional 30 mins for each fuel stop. Finally, if Im loaded heavy and going through the east coast mtns, I add another hour. Then I back track the time to allow me to arrive 2 hrs early and allot for any 10 hr breaks.

I know if I can drive all day, I can do 600 miles on flat surfaces, and around 550 miles on rolling terrain.

It works for me.

Tornados on the road

Part of my trip planning includes pulling up a weather app so I know what I may be heading into. If I see severe weather, I try to plan around it, or if I see I am approaching a storm, I again check my weather app. If it looks bad, I pull over and park it. Also, I have a company that sends out fleet messages warning about all kinds of things. Heavy winds and storms among them. I can't see any fleet manager being upset that you pulled over for an hour or two to let the storm pass.

Not quite a year - can I move on?

My daughter has had a medical emergency which forced me home after 9 1/2 months. Due to the nature of the emergency, I need to stay at home for awhile to help my daughter through this period of her life. Thankfully the company I am working for has been very helpful in allowing me to come home, leave if necessary (on good terms - so I can have the opportunity to return). I believe it is in my daughter's best interest that I be at home, and there are plenty of job listings locally for CDL drivers. Several with as little as 6 mos experience. I have had (2) reportable incidents, both in parking lots, both with minimal damage. My questions are, How difficult will it be for me to get on with a local company considering my lack of a year exp and the 2 reportables? Even if I leave on good terms with my present company?

Thanks

About to take my test and really worried about the driving portion...

It's all about the rpm's. When down shifting look to shift around 1100 rpm's. Push the clutch in about an inch or two and give a little gas to bring the rpm's up to around 1400. As your shifting the rpm's will fall into the 1200 range and it should slide right in. Don't sweat it too much. The tester knows you are new and they generally give you leeway. Heck, I actually stalled out and still passed

FOOTBALL!!!!!

Well first off there is no guarantee that your instructor or trainer will be into football or sports. Crazy, I know, but they are out there. My instructor only listened to talk radio. Drove me nuts. My trainer hated pro sports and only listened to college games. As far as the Sunday ticket you will have to own your own truck Bd gave satellite put in an antennae and of course a tv. Sirrius radio offers a package where you can listen to the games. That's what I do. I don't get every game but at least I get my pigskin fix

Is it worth it?

Not much here but seems to me your interest in trucking is to get away from home If that is the case I say you are looking at this for all the wrong reasons. There's a saying ... No matter where you go, there you are. In other words you can't run away from your problems. 2nd anesthesiologist a make a better living. Ie better money which will allow you to move out. Again don't know your reasons but that is my two cents worth Is trucking worth it? For many it is for others it's not. Get in for the right reasons or don't

Good luck

DAC report

DAC report is like a DMV report, only for commercial drivers.

You can request on Here

It's free or you can call them . Takes about 15 days to receive.

Companies will send accident, tickets, and various other info to your DAC file.

I think the dac just covers drug and alcohol incidents. I requested mine and it didn't have any traffic violations. For that I had to request my dmv record

GPS Options

The main point here is well said and that is not to rely on any one tool. They can and will get you in trouble. And that includes the Qualcomm. That being said I have tried all 3 and found as a personal preference the rand McNally suited me best. I use it in conjunction with my qc and google maps. Even then I only use it as an overview to get me close to me destination at which point I use the macro directions to get in. The macro lists the best way in to avoid weight restricted roads, low clearances, and dead end streets. Before I move an inch I map out my route with my atlas and then if my gps and qc are in agreement I let them lead the way

Help please..

How in the world did he fail the sim test? It's a videogame. He must have done something extremely stupid like run over people or probably drove like he was playing Grand Theft Auto.

I really don't have an answer for you. There's very few ways you can fail it.

Wow Daniel that was harsh. First off it's not a video game it's a simulator. 2nd of all simulators can be very difficult to maneuver because they are not very realistic. The idea is to make it 3d using 3 screens but it can be quite confusing and makes many people nauseous. It even made me a bit light headed. Furthermore the "sim" does not handle like a real vehicle at all. So it us possible to fail. I would think as a moderator you would be more encouraging, insightful and understanding. One last note about the simulator, if it does messed with your eyes you can request an actual driving test. At least that's what they said to our group. As far as failing the written goes Ernie answered that. Good luck

Trucker Travel Advise

Take it from me, pack your own tp and always have a wad in your pocket. The only thing rest stop tp is good for is wiping the seat clean. This isnt directed at any of the fine folks on this site, but i will say truckers in general are some nasty folks when it comes to toilets. They dont lift the seat, they dont flush and worse of sal, they dont wash their hands, which is why i dont shake with strangers, i do the howie mandel fist bump

Adult content ;)

Hey i admit it, im a voyeur and i look inside. Love the summer time with all those short skirts and skin. Keep waiting for a flasher but all i mostly see is ladies with there leg kicked up and there hand between there legs....

Reporting to Prime in a few weeks. Advice?

Most, if not all of prime trucks come with a sirrius cd/radio player. The subscription is on you to pay for, and it has a jack for you smartphone, which i prefer over sirrius. Seriously, they are worse than commercial radio with all there talking after every song and playing the same bumpers over and over and over... But anyway, yes to your question. (:-)

Questions about Prime - Lease vs Company Drivers

Thanks. Been a solo driver now for about 8 months and yes I took the lightweight. Just drove hard the first few months before working on my mpgs and fuel bonus. I hit 8+ mpgs within a few weeks and have hit 8+ every week since. Well until this past week. I hit 9.2. Woohoo!! Aiming for 10 now. Hahaha

Had a question and wonder if anywon knows if its true?

Don't know which drug your arrest was for. But I had a marihuana charge in 2002 that was ultimately dropped and expunged. I told my company about it when at the recruiter stage provided proof all the way through and had no problems

We need TT stickers for our trucks

Well all I'm doing right now is looking at pricing for hats and shirts. I wouldn't dare move forward without Brett's approval. I really believe in this site and simply want to help it grow. Having said that, I see Brett has commented but made no comment on whether or not he approves of my willingingness to "run with the ball". Sooooo. The ball sits. For what it's worth I had no intention of making money on this other than to cover the cost of the merchandise cost of shipping and packaging. I think it's a great site, and I believe we all believe in this site that Brett has built. I was just trying to help. Hope I didn't step on any toes or give the wrong impression

We need TT stickers for our trucks

I think we all believe in this site and what Brett had built so I want enough on there for us to recognize each other but also for other people t ask about it. Help grow the site

We need TT stickers for our trucks

I think the logo is what Brett already has. A tractor like on top of this oage. On the back of the hat the address truckingtruth.com shirts. Lain front addy across the Bach logo below. Maybe have the option of printing a name on the pec. Or lime you suggested a TT. I think the shirts should have pockets too. Thing is, the fewer I have made (Assuming Brett oks) the more they will cost so I would like to hVe an idea of many to order. Price breKs usually start at 250. But if only 25-50 will order, well no sense buying that many. When my daughter played ball we ordered 25 shirts and they were like $25 each. I would think cotton xt would be cheaper but don't know for sure. I have my wife shopping prices today

We need TT stickers for our trucks

Should we do polos or Ts ? Hats with plastic or Velcro sizing? Or prefit? What colors??

Truckers Apps

I don't use an app for rest stops. They are pretty regular on the roads and even have signs letting me know how far to the next one. Plus my gps has them marked. As for axle weights. Brett's high road training program did such a good job it's built into my head. Hahaha. Plus after. 6 months now, I can look at my BOLs for the overall weight, look in the trailer to see how it's packed and just about put it in the right hole. But yea, I still scale it for sure. $10 to save $700 is a no brainier and the company reimburses me for the 10, so why not scale it?

Truckers Apps

Oh yea and I also have a weather app that use quite frequently. One that gives me a look at the U.S. In real time. The fuel stops help me in my pre planning so I know where I'm going to shut down for the night. it also helps if I need to find a repair shop. The weather app is so I know what lies ahead and what I might want to steer around or plan a break to get thru