Comments By Geo W.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/trucking.jpg avatar
  • Geo W.
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  9 years ago

DOT Drug Testing: Urinalysis or Hair Follicle?

I know this thread is old but I just wanted ask if anyone knows anything about swifts drug testing? I am just going to be honest and put it out there. Up until recently I was using marijuana as an aid with my my other meds to help with my bipolar and depression. I was under the care of my psychatrist and psychologist while I was using it. I know it's not legal in Pa. but my Dr. and psych were ok with it because they think it has a tremendous medicinal upside. So with that being said I have not used it in 2 mos.

I lost my job in March, IT WAS NOT drug related. I always wanted to drive trucks but things kept me away from the industry(relationship) now the only thing holding me back is my son. I have put out hundreds of resumes and I am not even getting phone calls. The only phone call I got back was from crst when I decided to give trucking a try,since then I found this wonderful forum and site. I learned a couple of things about crst that did not appeal to me. So this led me to my decision of being able to provide for my son. Had I known that this was the path I was going to take I never would have smoked it in the first place.

So I guess what I am asking is what companies do u/a only? I have seen the list that Brett priovided but since then I have seen different names on this forum. Please do not judge me by my past, but help me look to my future for me and my son.

Hey there Kevin, Im in the same boat as you, and here is what steps i have taken, Call Central Reefer, They will send you a crap load of forms to fill out on line, one question is regarding "street drugs" well i told them the truth, and they said it has to be 5 years in the past.. SO with that said, if you are clean now and understand there is a ZERO tolerance for dirty UA's and plan on staying clean then kinda stretch the truth and dont say anything, if its been that long for you, it will not show up on a UA, so its kinda one of them things what they dont know wont hurt. TRUST me im completely against lying about it, BUT i shouldn't be S.O.L due to choices in my past, but clean now.

Then there is PAM transport; They didnt ask any of those question before offering me a spot in class, But they do only test via UA, BUT there is more cost with going with PAM, you pay for your trip out to their school, and home. IF you fail the health or UA your on your way home on your own dime also, IF you pass the school and all they give you 200.00 to help with your trip home, but where you live its under 100.00 to get there.. ( im up in Harrisburg). and im sure if you havent already, you will receive a Private message/email for a few people on this site, they will give you good advise as they did the same for me.

Me personally im going with CR england, I was told by a few drivers here at local stops its very unlikely for them to do hair, they say it as a scare tactic, but i will find out here in 3 weeks when i get out there... Good luck and Dont give up

Geo

Posted:  9 years ago

Quick question regarding Drug screen

About 4 years ago I submitted a dirty UA for pot, it was for a local delivery company non-cdl, is there some way that will pop up to bite me in the rear when I go out to CR's school at the end of the month? I just remembered about that, its the ONLY time i ever came up dirty for a drug screen

Posted:  9 years ago

Looks like being honest just burnt one bridge.....

Geo, I never saw a question like that on any application that I filled out, and I did quite a few. I wasn't applying for training though, and that may be a little different. What I'm getting at is: start looking at some other training program applications and try filling out the ones that don't ask such a specific question.

Here is a clip of the paper work;

Have you ever tested positive for drugs / alcohol? Yes No IF yes, dates? Have you ever refused a drug / alcohol test? Yes No IF yes, when? CRS is a drug and alcohol free environment. When was the last time you used an illegal drug? DOT requires a drug screen. You are required to pass. If you happen to fail the testing you will be sent home at your own expense. Do you understand? YES NO....

And That is what im going to do OldSchool, Thanks for the positive words!

Drive safe!

Geo

Posted:  9 years ago

Looks like being honest just burnt one bridge.....

Geo, almost all actions have consequences in some form or fashion, I'm sorry you're hitting this snag. Believe me when I say that, because I hit a lot of rejections for one reason or another when I first started pursuing this career.

Look, you don't have to tell them stuff that they don't ask about. If you can pass the drug test then you're good. But you will have to lay down the weed for good, because you will be randomly tested sometimes by your company, and maybe even by the D.O.T. Drugs, drinking, and driving are lethal combinations that should never be mixed up together.

There's a lot of companies out there needing drivers, you just keep at it and I'm sure you can get on with a training program somewhere. If you keep hitting snags you just get back on here and we will help you any way we can.

Trust and believe, I will never smoke that crap any more, have no want or need. As for drinking thats never been a issue.. The only reason i said anything, is because on the 2nd stage of their paper work asked the last time you used street drugs, and I was honest by saying April, thats when she called me and said about it needing to be 5 years.. So when Im asked again do i just say never? im afraid im going to run out of company sponsored schools by telling the truth. the list is very small that only do a urine test. I can pass that its the hair one im worried about. Im being told so many different time frames about the length of time the results will show up and i dont want to risk it and fail the test and then that is on my record and im completely screwed.

Posted:  9 years ago

Looks like being honest just burnt one bridge.....

Well I decided to apply with Central and be honest about the weed smoking in the past and said I 100% sire there would be no problem at all passing a urine.. Well I did all the paper work, the recruiter just called and said everything looks great, but there is a problem. I need to not have smoked with-in the past 5 years...... embarrassed.gif Its really not looking good for my new career now.. Since CR does hair, im out there. Looks like the last chance I have is PAM, i just filled that out thru driversalutions and have to call the recruiter @ 9am tomorrow. If that fails then I guess my next post will be July 2018.. Now since we know PAM does a UA test should I not say anything?? Man I dont know what to do..... wtf-2.gif

Posted:  9 years ago

Look in the Mirror

I'm coming into this career from a job i had to wear a monkey suit, not only to cover all my art work im covered with, but it really does give you a different attitude in your job, and makes you at least look like you give 2 dams about what you look like and pride on what you do. Driving shouldn't be any different, now im not saying we should be driving with shirt and tie and shinny penny loafers, But like was said in a past post a nice "CLEAN" polo or a fully intact tee-shirt. I see drivers all the time around my area and they shock me. I see some homeless guys dressed a little better on State st. The only company i have ever seen that all the drivers are dressed the same is Walmart, they all have the dark blue slacks and white button up ****s with the company's name and the drivers name..

What about getting shirts made up with TT logo and a nice big rig on the back? Heck maybe even the drivers name on it also. Silk Screen tee shirts are not much at all. If Brett and you guys are interested, since im not working right now i can make contacts to some company's and see if we could get something set up with them.

There is no better place to start a change then right here with us. IF im outta place with this i'm sorry. dancing-banana.gif

Drive safe guys and talk to ya soon

Geo

Posted:  9 years, 1 month ago

DOT Drug Testing: Urinalysis or Hair Follicle?

Okay, well here is what im gonna do..Im gonna shave my head, right now my hair is about to my shoulder (BUT this is the first time i have EVER had hair this long i was trying a new look. lol) Then I will let it grow back in alittle and then give it a shot, in the mean time i will just get a B.S job here local until 90days is up.. I thank EVERYONE for the private message/email with different info and advise. I just didnt want my choice to smoke pot in the past to destroy the future.

Drive safe all

Geo

Posted:  9 years, 1 month ago

DOT Drug Testing: Urinalysis or Hair Follicle?

Geo, I dont know where you got the five year info from but to the best of my knowledge, a hair test can only be traced back 1 year... You hear rumors about companies saying they can go back 2 years and such, this is a scare tactic they use to see who is gonna look guilty. Most companies only look back 90 days... My cousin had to get one done for a security job, not like a mall security or anything but a legit security detail. I myself have a person who is close to me who also said the same thing. I have done research on my own and the most common answer I see is 1 year.

I could be wrong (according to my g.f. its all the time) but I think I am pretty solid on this. I will research again to be doubly sure....

just off different google searches, regardless its been about 2 months... not doing anymore, but a employee isnt gonna listen to that.. i knew a pee pee would be no problem, but knowing they do hair just sunk my battleship.... now i gotta explain this one to the wife in the morning....

Posted:  9 years, 1 month ago

DOT Drug Testing: Urinalysis or Hair Follicle?

After doing more searching...... It looks like my choices in the past will stop me from going for this new career... I dont have years to wait.... wow, this was the last thing i needed tonight.

Posted:  9 years, 1 month ago

DOT Drug Testing: Urinalysis or Hair Follicle?

Ok, I was just informed privately that CR England does both the hair follicle and urinalysis test. Thanks! That's one down and many more to go! I'll keep building the list as we learn more:

CR England: Both Urinalysis and Hair Follicle

......... welp thats not what i wanted to see..... guess CR is out for Gro. Yeah i quit smoking but it hasnt been close to 5 years, which is up to how long it stays in the hair... embarrassed.gif

Back problems?

For now it's best to contact each company directly. I'm working on a feature that would allow you to apply to the various company-sponsored programs directly from our site with one application, but it isn't built out yet.

K, Thats what I just did, reason i couldnt find Knight school is because they are under squire. So now i wait to see if they contact me.

Posted:  9 years, 1 month ago

Why no restrooms in semi-truck sleeper cabs?

Here is my 2 cents, Have a empty gallon jug for #1 and for #2 have a coffee can with a snap on lid. This what we have used when making trips to FLA from Pa...and the smell is next to none. confused.gif

Back problems?

Yeah, FFE is the only company I know of in our list of Company-Sponsored Training Programs that requires a considerable amount of unloading. But that's how they're setup. Most companies require very little, if any unloading. Starcar just wanted you to be aware that there are companies out there that require it.

yeah i spent some time late lastnight reading all the different choices, i really like what Knight transport has to offer, but after google them, i cant find how to contact them for info on coming to their school, they have a really big hub about 15 mins from me in Carlisle Pa. Also Brett, cant I apply for information right from the "company sponsored training section?" or do i need to google the company itself? I applied directly to CRE b4 i found this site..

Thanks again in advance

Drive Safe all!!

Geo

Back problems?

Don't discount CRE out right. I worked there for 3.5 years and never once unloaded a trailer. The most I had to do ,seriously rare even then, was put down slip sheets for floor loaded loads like wine and beer. You have a choice. You can unload it or the company will pay all lumper fees.

Now there will be times you have to jump up into the back of the trailer to secure the load with load locks but that was about the only work you would do with the freight.

Just when I loose hope, Its comes right back. Thanks Guy for the insight!! thank-you.gif

Back problems?

Okay so driver refer isnt gonna work.... crap, i guess the CR england school isnt gonna work then... embarrassed.gif

Back problems?

There are no dumb questions smile.gif

I've never had back problems myself, but in all the years of driving I can't really recall anyone complaining that driving a truck was bothering their back. And believe me, nobody complains like truck drivers! If there was something to complain about, they would have rofl-3.gif

The air-ride seats and suspensions do an excellent job. There are a lot of products out there designed to enhance comfort, and of course certain types of exercise will do wonders.

As long as you can sit for a few hours at a time without serious issues you should be just fine.

Ya keep saying that Brett, but watch soon your gonna say to yourself, Dam Geo asks alot of dumb questions..lol..

The reason for my post was I have had 3 back operations, I have passed a DOT physical for a old driving job I had a few years back when I would deliver medical grade o2 to peoples homes.

But I knew with all the new tech they have in rigs anymore with the airride seats that there should be no issues, and yes I can drive/sit for periods of time with no problems... Just wanted to see if anyone deals with it on the road.

Thanks guys for the reply's.

Drive safe

Geo

Back problems?

This maybe a real dumb question, but does anyone that is driving have back problems? or had operations in the past?

Day 2 of driving skills with Central

Next step is orientation, I got my CDL today!

Congratz!!

Posted:  9 years, 1 month ago

Choosing which type of driving job to do

I've noticed new comers to the forum lately wondering about which type of driving job they might like to choose, such as a recent thread asking about the differences in reefer, dry van, and flat bed. While Brett has a great volume of resources concerning this question right here on this site, I thought it might be a fun and informative exercise for some of us who are presently driving to share with the others what a typical week of driving looks like for us. So I'm going to jump right in here and give you an idea what a typical work week looks like for me (I'm driving a flat-bed). Here's what I'm doing this week.

I started on Monday with a load of sheet-rock coming from Fletcher, OK to Longview, TX. This load has 153 empty miles and 323 loaded miles. Doesn't sound too great, but don't complain to the dispatcher or you may be sitting for another day waiting on another load that's not even as good as that one. I commit to the load and send a note of thanks to my dispatcher. While I'm on my way to Longview the dispatcher sends me two pre-planned loads. First one picks up in Midlothian, TX and delivers in Fernandino Beach, Florida. This is a load of 40' I-beams that has 1,013 loaded miles and 148 empty miles. Second load picks up a load of shingles in Savannah, Georgia and delivers in Rochester, NY. This load is 940 loaded miles and 128 empty. I hope to have this wrapped up by Friday afternoon, and will already have gotten in 2705 miles. I delivered my steel in Fernandino Beach today and will be picking up my shingles in Savannah first thing in the morning.

Hopefully some other drivers will jump in here and tell us about their week with dry vans or reefers.

I hope this proves to be helpful for some of you that are wondering about which type of driving you might like to do.

Thankyou for this post! I'm one of the newbies that is dumb to the different types. now for my dumb question for the hour..... are you not paid for empty? or a lower rate?

Geo

Posted:  9 years, 1 month ago

Aspiring new driver, and have a few questions

Yeah, ya know work at the GED and in the meantime keep researching the trucking industry. Find out how things work. Understand your options for schooling, the different types of jobs available, and what to expect once your CDL training begins. Work your way through our High Road Training Program and you'll be on your way.

Imagine what a difference you could make in just a few months. You could go from where you're at now to having your GED, your CDL, and a great new trucking career! Talk about suddenly having a bunch of doors wide open! It would be a whole new life for ya.

dancing-dog.gif

Okay, setting up math for the 30th of this month, then reading and writing will be 8/9/13