Comments By Joshua J.

https://s28.postimg.org/czyvoh219/61235_1586893920346_8096513_n.jpg avatar
  • Joshua J.
  • Comments:

My Roehl (Gary) Experience Early 2017

Exciting!!!! I'll definitely be following your journey, as for the saving money on food, I highly recommend a trip up to the local big box store and picking up something like a cheap George foreman or an electric kettle, itll let cook a few more things than the microwave and they can go in the truck when youre done with the hotel.

Prime PSD Springfield MO 02/20/17

Glad to hear the test results came back and thats out of the way! I was always a little antsy peeing in a cup when I was in the Army, even though I was drug free there was always that little nagging fear that my life could be ruined over something i had no control over (false positives).

Prime Inc. CDL training. Springfield, Missouri

Great stuff man, you gonna be throwing your loads over on the flatbed variety thread?

Anyone at Prime SLC?

Hope that doesnt delay you too long, wouldnt want the people in your dungeon to starve =p

Lunchbox's Little Adventure

Makes perfect sense, thank you! Im tracking that they can take other body hair (minus pubic) but they require it to be 1.5" long, or so every testing requirement ive seen says.

My issue, is Im not a hairy guy, and don't have any hair longer than 1", so Ill have to grow my hair out on my head and look a little ridiculous lol. I might try growing out a beard, havent tried since highschool and the Army wasn't conducive to one. Its either that or get labeled a refusal, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.

Dash cam?

Get one, use it, we've all seen youtube footage of dashcams and why theyre a god send. That being said, if you fear self incrimination keep a second blank sd card (that has a write protection lock); take said 'locked' card and swap it with the loaded one. So IF anyone got/compelled said dashcam, and ejected the card they'd find the cam recorded nothing because you accidentally left the card lock, oh no darn technology.

Im not advocating tampering with evidence, because if you messed up you should own it, but if its something vindictive/petty a company is doing then you should be able to sling as much dirt as they do.

Lunchbox's Little Adventure

Whats it like getting use comparators? Im finishing my Engineering degree at the end of april, and I had an entire course dedicated to measuring devices and metrology but we didnt have a comparator.

I embarked on the whole college thing as a way to take my 'vacation' after getting out of the service, I knew I wasnt going to be an engineer but I enjoy learning and tinkering and uncle Sam pays my rent while im doing it. rofl-2.gif

Now that Ive got my heart set on trucking for the next 5 years, Im sure I wont ever get to use some of those really cool tools;especially some of the PLC Robotics. That said, I don't miss the quality control aspect of it at ALL, I don't know how you kept sane doing it!!! I look forward to hearing more about your upcoming adventures at Roehl, and wouldn't mind getting my ear chatted off about QC/manufacturing/metrology whenever you bring it up.

One quick question though: The FMCSA is supposed to be putting out guidance on hair testing which it hasnt done yet (or is using some form of witch craft to hide it from all of my search queries) that said, did Roehl collect hair samples or Urine? I ask because afghanistan left me bald, and if I gotta hair test I need to start growing out my hair now (and start looking like friar tuck haha)

Monday Starts my Last Week in a Cubicle

Ive still got two months and two days before I start school, Im VERY envious.

Healthier and cheaper alternatives for caffeine

Sleeping aside, if energy drinks/coffee aren't doing it for you take two weeks off from it. We drink so much caffeine as a country its not even funny, you get desensitized to it and your body builds up quite the tolerance. Give it a week or two of decaf/no caf, low sugar beverages and after that a cup of coffee will crank you up to 11.

Chafing while driving long hauls

UnderArmor (or any similar material) underwear and moisture wicking tops do an OUTSTANDING job of preventing chafing . I relied on UA almost exclusively downrange for all my undergarment needs, it kept me cool, kept me from chafing on 20km foot patrols, its low friction, antimicrobial, and it pretty much helps prevent favorable conditions for all the things that could go wrong downstairs.

That, and goldbond powder, someone mention the monkey butt stuff we had a lot of guys use it in my squad it works very well, but im quite happy with (yellow) gold bond powder, just one WARNING DO NOT EVER put the blue gold bond down below.

Are there any good trainers out there??

I hope my trainer at Prime S.L.C. is legit. I've dealt with my share of knuckleheads at the USPS for 20 years so I should be ok with just about anybody who wants to help me succeed. A.I.O. (Adapt Improvise and Overcome) 12 more days... please dont get sick. Please dont get sick. Please dont get sick.

calm, deep breaths brother, don't want the blood pressure to spike =p

Companies that won't hire with less than 1 year of US driving licence

Im in the same boat, I was overseas so I never got a license, here stateside Ive had a permit for about 2 years(lived in downtown la literally drove nowhere ever), then I got my license, so ive only 'had a license' for a few months. Figured I'd give a prime recruiter a call to see if the one year included driving permits, and it does not.

Help

Id like to go work for the company paying 86k/yr for OTR, my wife wouldn't even care if I only came home twice a year at that point =p

Orientation at western express

If im not mistaken Carolina Cargo is another second chance employer for those who want it! I hope you all find what you're looking for.

Tailgating on purpose: Truck Platooning

I also agree that drones will have a bigger impact in the short run

And the long run. Deliveries are what most people think of with drones, but what about transportation? Why would you have people driving around on the crowded, outdated surface infrastructure when you can have drones flying them around in the wide open skies? If they think self-driving automobiles will eliminate a lot of problems, imagine what a centrally-controlled flying vehicle system could do. You order a drone, it flies out to your house, you punch in "Walmart", and sit back and enjoy the five minute flight.

Air taxis. Makes way, way more sense than self-driving vehicles and the technology would be a heck of a lot easier too.

Deconflicting airspace will most definitely have to be AI enhanced, because if you think flight control is a high pressure/high stake profession now, wait til there are several million aircraft occupying the same airways every minute of the day!

That said, with the ability to separate traffic by type and altitude would make travel MUCH safer than a standard vehicle on the road in traffic. Having that strain taken off the roads would also make self driving trucks much more viable due to the reduced number of risks and variables.

Luckily all of this is something my kids and their kids will have to worry about, I can be happy knowing that Hal 9000 can't secure and tarp a flat bed load, and can be foiled by a loss of GPS signal and road construction =p

Meeting Rick tomorrow... anyone else?

Daniel B is gone for almost a year, and he jumps back in here out of the blue already trying to be mischievous!

Seems like a whole bunch of people are magically appearing again this week after this meeting.... Hmmmmmm is Rainy just trying to make room in the dungeon for new stock? hahah

My poor pitiful truck.

Reminds me of a question put to us in philosophy class in university:

We have a wooden ship called "The Queen of the Seas." Every week two pieces of wood are removed and replaced until five years later every piece has been removed and replaced. Is this ship still the ship called "The Queen of the Seas?" Now, what if another ship was constructed out of all the wood that was removed from "The Queen of the Seas." Is this new ship "The Queen of the Seas" or is it a new ship entirely?

Youve gone from philosophy to quantum physics hehe, the new ship is both "The Queen of the Seas" and not "The Queen of the Seas" at the same time. In fact the act of trying to determine an answer and record a result changes said result =p

Stevens transport hauling in Florida?

Have you tried Schneider? Im in Tampa, and they were one of the first companies I started to look into because they have openings/routes here in Florida.

Any drivers occasionally camping out in tent in isolated area, campgrounds?

Its not a camp ground, but in teh flatbed variety thread there was a driver or two that kept tents with them. One even set his up on his flat bed to sleep in one night hehe.

Game: funny town names

Not really funny name, but we had a giggle going through Hope, NM. Its a tiny little place with about a population of 100, but its been there since the 1800s, but the only thing i could think of in that desolate place was ' I hope I don't get stuck here'

Another one is DISH Texas.