Comments By Joshua J.

https://s28.postimg.org/czyvoh219/61235_1586893920346_8096513_n.jpg avatar
  • Joshua J.
  • Comments:

My poor pitiful truck.

The bright side is at this rate, a few more repairs/breakdowns she'll be an entirely new truck sorry.gif

CDL test at Prime Inc.

Hope the extra practice helps, look forward to hearing how it goes!

Helicopter helped out by trucker!

Man, the Russian DOT is some serious stuff.

;)

HAHAHAH surprise inspections are crazy over there I guess =p

Trying to choose between Swift and CT Transport

I couldn't tell you personally which is more realistic or which will be better for you, as ive not started driving yet. However, after lurking here for a while and spending countless hours spamming youtube vids from various truckers at various companies I CAN tell you that at swift 800$ monthly during you first 6 is likely to be average.

Obviously during training amounts will be lower, and itll take a little bit to find your stride but there are guys six months in showing their paycheck/miles/hours driven on their qualcom. If you dont plan properly, and you dont pay attention to detail, you turn down loads, etc.. youll sit a lot longer and make a lot less. That said, if you drive hard, and drive safe, the miles and money will be there pretty much no matter where you go.

At the very least thats what my research has pointed to... take my 2cents for what its worth brother.

Maverick Orientation

Good stuff brother, I look forward to hearing your experience with them out on the road!

Helicopter helped out by trucker!

Saw this today and gave me a bit of a giggle, so I thought I'd share it with the community! Helicopter pilot asks for directions

Not really too much to say other than I thought it was really interesting that with all the abilities an attack helicopter has, bad weather can strip away every advantage you have. But when things look bleak, a knight of the road is there to help!!!

Having a truck without an APU

In addition to Not4hire's great information, and additional thing to keep in mind, is that many devices that use motors (blow dryer, food processor etc...) use roughly2-7 times their normal current at start up. So If its a 12v 2amp motor, at start up itll be more like 12v 10amp.

If unaccounted for during your power distribution planning, you'll at best trip the fuse and at worst you'll burn down your truck. So be sure to either start those heavy draw items first, or have a more than ample electrical system to run your gear.

Lunchbox's Little Adventure

Congratulations on getting your CLP dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

Can't wait to see how things go during training!

Why do you need a CB?

What's also interesting is the future of CB radios as far as "distracted driving" goes. If talking on cell phones is illegal, how can they say talking on CB radios is legal? I'm hoping there isn't enough attention on the matter to worry about it because they would be doing a huge disservice by preventing real time communication amongst drivers in close proximity like that.

I think its highly unlikely (though still very possible these days) that they would make CBs carry the same rules/regs/penalties, because it is an industry standard. In addition to being an industry standard it is like you said HUGE for real time communication between anyone that can xmit and receive.

I follow this line of reasoning: law enforcement, EMS, firefighters, all use radios in their vics and or on their person while operating vehicles, saving and or taking lives.

In addition to that, we also do it in the military, a lot. ( I understand that military and emergency services are often held to different regulations when it comes to communications and vehicles.)

So if all those professions that are required to keep the world going need em' and use em' Im confident we'll get to keep on using em' because after all Truck drivers are professionals that are required to keep the world going, and we need em'.

How much cellphone data do you use?

I burn through around 50 a month, but luckily netflix/Amazon prime/youtube/pandora all stream free on my carrier so my "charged" data usage is down to 2gs a month.

Is There A Future For New CDL Drivers? I've Heard Soon Robots Will Replace Us All.

I would love to see one of them park at some of the docks i've had the displeasure of backing into. smile.gif

With multiple camera hardpoints, and proper algorithms for processing the input thats the easier part of an automated truck. Managing without GPS, adapting to changing environmental circumstances (snow compacting, making a passable height bridge no longer passable), securing and checking a flat bed load every 150miles, these things will be much harder to replicate, and as such will likely require a human operator for many generations (of technology) to come.

Lunchbox's Little Adventure

Yeah, formatting can be tricky! The preview button on the bottom of the post is extremely helpful in seeing how it'll turn out, especially if youre using any of the smileys or the quote feature.

I look forward to following along with your journey, Im attending driving school myself in may/june, hoping thayreading everyone elses trials and tribulations will help me prevent accidents and mistakes.

Started Class at CNM for Truck Driving. Hopefully this is the start of a new career!

Congratulations on getting your permit!dancing-banana.gif

One thing I would recommend for formatting and readability is to press 'enter' twice when you're done with a paragraph or description. This helps with spacing, and will break up a wall of text to make it much more manageable for your audience.

That said, the High Road Training Program covers items like HOS and is a great tool for studying.

Game: if you didn't have to drive, what's your fav weather?

Crisp clean 60 degree sunny days. Perfect for getting yard work done, or any kind of physical activity and it really just energizes you.

My second favorite is hurricanes! Im a Florida boy born and bred, hurricanes are as natural to us as snow to a northerner. We'd get a week out of school/work, go fishing, and beach bummin, and when the hurricane hit we'd have a party. Theres nothing like hearing and seeing the power of mother nature's fury while having a great time with good friends and close family.

Id like to see a self driving truck chain down a flat bed load.

Different experience today. My Wheels Fell Off.

A simple method would be using TQ stripe. It comes in little tubes. Green, white, and orange are the most common colors. Just apply a stripe from the nut to the rim. It takes a few minutes to harden. Once it hardens as long as it is intact the nuts haven't moved. If it is broken than it is loose. We used TQ Stripe all the time on our blackhawks. Basically any time we had a TQ critical nut or bolt, but said nut or bolt did not get secured with safety wire or cotter pin. I think next time I am home I need to go thru my flight bag. I probably have several tubes left in it.

Btw TQ = Torque.

We had to do something similar with our M1200 Knights, all the individual bolts in the armor plating had to be marked so we could determine if there was any movement. We used a paint marker though, if the straight line was broken you know you had loose bolts.

Flatbed Variety

This thread has pretty much been the catalyst in my decision to go flatbed. I start my heavy equipment operators course in may, then do my CDL school in June.

I hope the heavy equip. course can give additional insight and hopefully impart some beneficial skills to my flatbedding career. I understand that kind of training isnt necessarily required in the field, but Im taking the course for personal reasons anyway and at the worst its just something to make my resume stand out a bit more right?

I hope you're good to go Bud, hope you get your medical certification and get back out on the road hauling new and existing loads; so we can live through you vicariously hahagood-luck-2.gif .

Rand McNally 730 issues. help

With GPS units and satellites, while you will get a read out when connected to three, five or more are required for single digit accuracy (down to 1m).

Not saying that was the problem, just a fun fact for you all. An additional fun fact, is it is possible for high output electronics to jam GPS signals, something very common out in white sands when we were testing other equipment.

Game: Trucking Might Not Be For You If...

Trucking might not be for you...

If you can't use public restrooms.

What are your favorite gadgets on the road?

One thing to keep in mind, especially if your new - you don't need all of these things right off the bat. Figure out what you need and what you want, then see how those lists line up with your available funds. I got my headset, GPS, dash cam, CB, and stove from the truck stops using points. Sure the prices on some of these things were higher than getting them from Walmart or Amazon - but I spent points, not dollars so I saved somewhere between $800 - $900.

The other thing to keep in mind - many of the mega carriers don't allow you to have power inverters, or only allow small ones. So I would recommend not putting out a lot of money until you're in or done with training and see what type of power you'll have to work with.

Thats really good advice, I plan on at least getting the cooler/mini fridge and a GPS first, then I'll add more along the way. Luckily most of the stuff I want to use in the truck is pretty cheap, like the electric kettle.

I hadn't thought of a mini vac though, but then I realized there probably arent too many vacuums (like the ones at carwash/gas stations) that can reach up in the cab or sleeper and get to work.