Comments By Crawdaddy

https://www.keimts.com/images/our-trucks/blue-truck2.jpg avatar
  • Crawdaddy
  • Comments:

Company sponsored training vs Private school

I am sure that this has been asked. But question is not so much training vs training but the outcome. Is there a difference between, getting a diploma or certificate from a driving school and just going through a company sponsored school? Does the diploma or certificate help you in the long run vs not having one and just going through the company ran schoo? I am still deciding on company sponsored training or private school. Doesn't matter to me about cost or no cost, longer or shorter weeks cause the private school is 4 weeks compared to 3weeks, or that the company I train with does it one way while the private school teaches it another. I think you can understand where I am going to with the rest. Any info would be great. That would narrow it down to if I choose company sponsored or private school.

SWIFT

Thanks everyone for clearing this up! I was definitely worried about dealing with a company that would be going through a lawsuit whether it was swift, schneider, or whoever.

SWIFT

Alright I understand now, but at the same time I am sure that has to reflect negatively.

SWIFT

This class action is over ten years old, though it hasn't come to trial yet. The question was/is what determines dispatch miles?

Alright thanks. The page said that it was a day ago so that's what I went off of.

Yes, that's right. The complaint was approved to be a class action finally.

BTW the only real winners in this class action will be the lawyers and the lead plaintiffs.

Oh so the rest of the drivers get nothing, except for the ones that filed?

SWIFT

SWIFT

For everyone that is unaware swift is currently going through a lawsuit. You can check it out here.

So here's the ordeal...big time newbie here with concerns

I would Alonso take a look on here under the company sponsored CDL schools on here they also have in house training as well.

Lives matter movement

Crawdaddy, I'd love to get in to conversations like this, for we live in "interesting times". But TT's focus is getting people through trucking school and into a career successfully. I oh-so-much want to make references to the current politics, but I don't want to let topics get hijacked and have to pop popcorn for everybody.

"Popcorn" is kind of a code word here indicating a discussion is getting name-calling ugly.

I understand, I wasn't making it about politics. It was just about the right approaches to take while working in the trucking industry and dealing with this type of situation.

Lives matter movement

I would like to say thanks to everyone, that provided insight into this. I know that I may have ruffled some feathers but, for me it is a good learning point. I will try and be the safest as well. I know I can not control everyone or everything around me. But I want to do right by whatever company I happen to work for, at the end of the day it is their equipment and their customers freight that I am entrusted with. Have a great day!

Lives matter movement

Are you asking if you can run people over without consequences? The answer is no, no you cannot.

Killing people to protect equipment and freight is probably not a good decision. The freight and truck are insured and can be replaced.

I understand if you have advanced notice. But say like now where trucks are traveling down the interstate say like you are traveling 55 and come to a stop in the middle of the interstate due to this issue.

That's what the CB is for. I can virtually guarantee you'll have plenty of advance notice for something like this.

It likely won't matter anyway, you're going to spend much more time held up in Wyoming blizzards than dealing with protesters blocking a highway.

So you are saying that you have to put your life endanger and allow people to possibly kill you vs continuing to push your self out of the way and protect what is important. Should they be allowed to do what they are doing with no consequences either? I am not talking about running over people. Should I be a sitting duck? Would you let someone break into your home? To me these are serious questions.

Lives matter movement

I would also add to check your routing really carefully for the next week and if you see something that might turn into an issue like that let dispatch know and they might route you around it. For example if I was in Louisiana and I saw my routing took me right through were all the protests were happening I would call dispatch and tell them and see if I can route around it.

Lives matter movement

I would think that you would probably get in trouble for running over people, as tempting as it may be. So I wouldn't chance it. You don't want to kill your CDL with a reckless driving charge, unlikely but then again the law usually doesn't make sense.

You can extend your 14 hour clock due to an unforseen circumstances but I don't have proof that this will work for this situation. Back when this law was written we didn't have morons walking on interstates burdening folks who have nothing to do with what their mad about so I'm not sure.

If it does happen though, immediately notify dispatch and write the time that you were delayed from beginning to end.

I ask this, because, I will be a trucker driver soon and would like to know what my options are in this case. I don't want to be in a situation like this, as a newbie, and not have an idea what to do. If a truck drivers life is in danger, such as the case here and they are hopping and climbing on the front of your truck. Trying to violently attack it would seem to me to be self defense in protecting company equipment as well as protect your shipper and customers freight.

Lives matter movement

With all the black Lives matter, all lives matter movements. What can be done in the case of people block the interstate such as what has been going on in Memphis, Tn. Do trucks have a right to drive through that and get away? Are they stuck until the people clear? How does that affect HOS for the drivers? Does anyone have anything to contribute on this matter and how it will impact our ability to do our jobs now and in the future? Maybe anything as far as from the trucking companies perseceptive, owner operators, and the company drivers themselves?

Team driving sleep problems

So this is a question for the team drivers ... Do you ever wake up feeling dizzy, disoriented, or have a massive headache? If you do, you know the cause? I've been curious to why i feel this way and i believe it may just be blood rushing to my head or altitude sickness, answers would help

One thing that may not have been thought about is carbon monoxide poisoning. It may be causing these problems as it has similar effects. I might look into possible exhaust leaks coming into the cab. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas. It may be way of but it never hurts to check.

Concealed weapons

Thanks for everyone's wisedom. I do not plan on taking one, I was just curious to see what the concensus was. It has been a while since I have drove a truck and trying to stay current with all the new regulations and policies. This is my passion and I will be a commercial truck driver. I do not feel insecure. I do not have to have a weapon and I will not be putting my job on the line for it. Just like having a chat about different ideas. Thanks again. It has been fun seeing all the different comments.

Concealed weapons

Don't act like a victim and you will be just fine. If you are aware of your surroundings and know what is going on around you, you have a better chance of winning the lottery or getting hit by lightning. There are millions of truckers on the road and you hear about one maybe two a year that are killed by some random criminal. This should be the least of your worries.

You have a lot of weapons at your disposal. Anything that you can pick up can become a weapon.

If you are that insecure, walk with a cane. Instant weapon.

It's not that I feel insecure, I just feel more comfortable as I have been carrying one for years.

Been carrying and teaching for decades. ALL COMPANIES have a "no weapons" policy. It is a FIRING OFFENSE.

I hear what you're saying, being a carrier, instructor, gunsmith/armorer.

Wanna drive? Gotta leave the gat at home, or risk your career. Getting caught (and fired) will put a black mark on your record you will never overcome.

This is without getting into the various laws from state to state (especially ones where you have no reciprocity), and states where having a firearm in a rig (or car for that matter) will put you in handcuffs.

And from a "political" standpoint, don't expect the climate for firearms to get much better in the future.

Rick

What are companies doing to ensure that their drivers are safe? Do they provide any protection against criminals or a really you just a sitting duck?

Concealed weapons

If you are that insecure, walk with a cane. Instant weapon.

Concealed weapons

As a commercial truck driver, am I allowed to carry a concealed weapons or open carry for protection depending on the state? If not, what are my choices for self-defense?

Needing advice on trucking companies

I'm grateful for the responses I'll do more research on the companies and make a decision with a week or so

Thanks again

Brett has other possibilities under company sponsored schools on here.

Needing advice on trucking companies

I have decided to get my cdl and need cdl training narrowed my choices down to 2 companies swift pam

Which one should I go with?

Brian C. If I were you I would do a little more research. There are soo many companies out there that are willing to send you through driving school or reimburse you for it. Also, the CDL school route might be the way to go. I am going through a school not associated with any trucking company, due to the fact I don't want there to be any contract that I am obligated to. Once I start to attend school I will be getting a lot of pre-hires that I can sift through and it allows me to at least have some control over my career and future. Like Brett said the type of freight and if you want to be diverse in learn to haul different freight. I was once an OTR but since it has been so long I have to start from the bottom up. Hope this helps.