Profile For Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy's Info

Clarksville, TN

Company Driver In Training

Crawdaddy On The Web

3 years, 2 months ago

Crawdaddy's Bio

Attending Keim Orientation on Dec 27th. I look forward to a career that I have missed dearly. I miss the struggles and the good times. I want to help my country now by delivering freight to customers to ensure that they can complete their task.

Super Flatbedders Could I Get Some Advice

I would like to add that buying some extra 4 in ratchets with flat hooks and with chains and have 2in ratchets with flat hooks and with chains. Investing in some good stake pocket holders for those times your load happens to stack directly over one. Buy an extra winch bar cut in half and use for products like sheetrock that can easily be damage from over tightening. Get a good pair of steel toe boots. I got 2 pair just in case one gets wet I have a spare to change into, one looks like hiking boots and the other looks like walking shoes. Get a good pair of rain boots cause your time will come for load, unloading, and tarp/untrapping in rain. Invest in a good strap winder if one is not provided. For the corners protectors that are put on loads build a PVC pipe 5ft or so with a T fitting on top with a slit to fit the corner protectors. Have a small tool kit on hand for fixing winches and other minor things.

Obtained cdl today, Keim ts orientation tomorrow!

I would like to say that I am beginning my career at Keim. I have spoke with them the beginning of this week and they have me scheduled to begin on Dec 27th.My experience has been great so far! They have been very helpful and have answered all my questions. I never felt "recruited" by them they have openly taken me in. I was informed that I will be starting out makin 25 1/4%. I am excited to start! I am going to do the best I can for them and hope the same for me! Looking forward to eventually becoming a trainer and hauling their specialized freight. They have definitely tried me like family so far! I tried going to TMC, while they seemed to be a great company while I was in origination it unfortunately did not work out for me due to unresolved issues with the training department.

Currently in CDL School

Thanks Old School for this tip! When you say early in the day do you mean like 0500? Is it possible to get 2 loads in a day? When is it the best time to call in dispatch to be available? Should I call like 20 miles from the freight destination to ensure that I receive a new load as soon as I drop off the one that I have, so I can turn and burn? Tell me if I am thinking wrong about this.

My biggest tip would be one in how to make some money as a flat bed driver. Make sure you get to your deliveries early in the day so you can get yourself on your dispatchers list as "available." Once you start establishing a pattern of doing that they will be looking out for good loads for you each time they are expecting you to get empty. I always manage this little trick by sleeping on my customers property. The first truck in is the first truck out, and that's how you do the Hokey Pokey!

Currently in CDL School

Errol its not a dry van its a flatbed. What I meant by seemed is the fact that I do not know there safety policy. I mean for all I know is they could make me run over on my HOS and have me trying to run 2 logbooks. Possibly even not fix the problems that I report on the pre-trip inspection report. I am not saying that I wont live by it ,I was just going off the information I was fed by the company. I always keep safety in mind no matter what I do. I have read about companies that force their drivers do drive over there hours knowing that they are out of hours. This company didn't seem to be that way. Sorry if it sounds as though I am repeating myself. Not trying to be disrespectful either. Thanks

Good luck in school. Here's some advance warning I offer to dry van students:

Your "car" is now 60' long. Unless you are simply driving down a highway, do not think you just point the front end and go. You are actually driving the tandems along a safe path, and so you need to watch in the mirrors much more than in a car.

Seem very safety oriented. ... Any tips on the best way to earn their trust while working to make more money?

"Seem safety oriented"? Crawdaddy, start to live safety oriented. You most probably will get into a few minor crunches, that's to be expected. But safety needs to be on your mind from pre-trip to sign off. That will go far in earning trust. Also, simply do your job. In the beginning, do ask questions, but after a while, work to be a "dispatch it and forget it" for your dispatcher.

Good luck out there!

Currently in CDL School

I have recently started CDL school on Monday. Yesterday I took my test passed and received my permit. Start Pretrip tomorrow through Tuesday and Wednesday starts driving. I have decided that I might be going with Keim TS once I finishing school they seem really hospitable and have seemed really interested in me that just as a driver but as a person. I have wanted to do flat bed or tanker but think I will do flat bed. Look forward to working hard. I hope that I will do as good as what they think I can accomplish. Seem very safety oriented. They are small compared to other companies but I enjoy that type of feel and they seem to have steady freight especially in my area. Terminal is about 2 hours away which isn't bad. Any tips on the best way to earn their trust while working to make more money? Or just tips in general for a new flat bed driver? Thanks!!

Changing my life

As Brett mentions - there are psych meds that are absolutely prohibited by DOT themselves (adderall would be one of them for example), and one that are OK with DOT, but companies won't allow (safety dept/insurance).

Sad part is - from our experience here, the COMPANY WILL NOT TELL YOU AHEAD OF TIME, whether or not the particular med you take is on the banned list.

We've had users here report to the board that companies have refused to disclose whether the meds they were on were ok (for fear of a discrimination suit supposedly), then when the driver shows up for orientation, they get sent home to get off the meds.

Sadly - there's nothing that DOT or anyone else can do to clear this up.

Crawdaddy - what specific meds are you on? Anything for INSOMNIA is going to put you at risk for drowsiness behind the wheel. The only thing we've heard of being OK as a sleep aid is MELATONIN. The company will not "black list" you for psych meds, as they would for a failed drug screen - you will just be sent home to get your meds changed. It won't go on your DAC - and unless the substance you are taking is on the FMCSA banned list, you won't even be failed on the physical (technically). Simply keep the med card you already have on record with your DMV.

As far as "illegal substances" (and weed is still federally illegal, and even if it becomes federally legal - will not be on an "approved list" of substances for truck drivers) - if you're worried about dropping a bad drug test at orientation - then perhaps you should be POSTPONING your orientation until you are sure you will pass.

Too many folks we hear about, that "rarely puff" (not judging here) have gotten sent home from orientation. We hear stories from folks that report their orientation experiences here, how they ALWAYS LOSE a few people the first day.

There's a reason they DRUG TEST the first day of orientation - why waste another minute on someone that can't show up clean for a screen they KNOW they're going to be getting.

Rick

Rick never done a day of drugs in my life exception prescriptions. Current I take Lexapro for my depression, prazosin for night mares, Trazodone for sleep, and hydrazine for anxiety. I have taken my meds faithfully for over a year and a half.

Brett thanks for the information, I will get a letter from my doctor. I was concerned that I would not get hired on especially after I did the DOT physical and then trying to go to a company that can turn people away.

First off - thanks for your service. And sorry for your service related disabilities.

The reality here though - is you are on a number of meds whose side effect - ESPECIALLY IN COMBINATION - might make a companies safety department leery about a hire.

At the least - the trazadone is probably going to be a no-no at most companies we've heard of here.

Again - the SAD PART IS - you will not know, until you go for your orientation physical. Which kinda sucks, because you pack up your life, jump on a bus for hours/days, only to find out you can't get approved for a hire until you get off certain meds the particular company doesn't like. And these meds are at the companies SOLE DISCRETION - regardless of whether or not they aren't on the FMCSA's "no-fly" drug list.

The clinic where you got your Med Card, may have looked up your meds and saw they weren't on the DOT Prohibited List and issued you a card. Out of curiosity - was it a ONE YEAR or TWO YEAR card? I'd suspect with so many meds - they might have issued you a 1 year.

Keep us posted on how you're doing - and best of luck to you going forward...

Rick

Rick was issued a 2 year medical card.

Changing my life

Sadly - there's nothing that DOT or anyone else can do to clear this up.

Rick

Changing my life

My question is somewhat along the same lines. I recently did my DOT medical exam, the medical examiner asked me questions about my meds and she looked them over and said that I am good and gave me my medical card. Today I applied for a trucking company and they informed me that based on my meds that I have to get a letter explaining all the meds individually and that I may not be able to drive because of the meds I put on my application. I do not under stand this. I can get cleared by the DOT without having to bring in doctors notes but I get hassled by a company. Is there a list I can look at that says what psychotropic drugs are not allowed. Will I not be allowed to drive a truck with having depression and insomnia. I have been taking my meds for a year and a half. Could I get clarification on this please. I don't want to go to the company and get there just to find out that they won't hire and if they don't hire then I guess that means no company will hire since they will pass it along even though I have my DOT medical card.

Swift

hello Errol and guys. Quick question. I see on here that some people have to pay a 150.00 fee for something once arriving in Memphis. The recruiter hadn't mentioned it and it's not on the list of things to bring. Can you clarify please. Also they say they give you a pre trip study sheet to go by so you know the order and how to do it exactly. Any chance someone has one they can post so I can study it? Thanks.

I called the TMC recruiter to ask about the company and they informed me I am going to have to pay 300 dollars. 150 is to make sure that I actually go to the cdl training and is refundable, the other 150 is non refundable which is for all the admin stuff that is needed such as the DOT physical and whatever other admin stuff is needed. Not sure if that helps.

Background checks

Thanks everyone for the information. I really appreciate it. I will do what I have to do. Have a great day!

Background checks

Dont sweat the small stuff. Pay the fee and get your Hazmat. I think I paid $85.00 for the Fingerprint and background.

I am not really sweating it. Just don't want to have to spends hours driving to one place then more hours driving to another place when the information is already there.

Background checks

Crawdaddy, I think you missed my reply. Right above your response to Scott

I guess I didn't see it, since the time marks seem to be at the same time. I see what you are saying though tractor man. What I have done was through the federal government as well. Seems as though it should be in the system since my checks have gone through the FBI and I would not have a clearance if there were any issues. It seems as though TSA is connected to the FBI system to determine glbackground checks. My fingerprints are in the FBI system and I am sure my DNA is in there as well.

Background checks

My understanding is all companies will do a background check. If you're that clean, don't worry about it.

I am not talking about the companies, only when I go to get my CDL permit from the DMV and the DMV wants to get me to do everything over again as far as the background checks and fingerprinting ting for the hazmat.

Background checks

I am sure that this has been asked before. The reason I ask about background checks is I already have a security clearance in the military. I have already done the fingerprinting and the background checks so many time I count even count them. Is there a way I can get this information sent, so I can go about receiving my endorsement since I am already in the system?

Anybody know of any flatbed companies that train

Roehl, Prime, Maverick, TMC. Not positive on whether you need cdl or not prior to going to Maverick or TMC but have recently heard they both now have cdl training.

This is correct. I have personally spoke with a recruiter at TMC and a friend of mine that is a trainer at TMC they both Saif they do CDL training. Recruiter informed me that you have endured to have a cdl permit prior to attending the training.

TMC Company Sponsored CDL Training

I am doing this. Really cheap too. Do have to sign on for a year but their flexibility is what hooked me. I start the 22nd of August

I myself am looking to start going there the end of Oct.

I plan on going there towards the end of Oct. My main reason was not only because they seem to be the kind of company I want to be apart of based on all the YouTube videos I have seen from their company and drivers, but also because I have a friend that works there as a trainer. I asked recruiting and they said I could definitely have him as my trainer. That definitely sealed the deal for me as I don't want a trainer that I do not know their habits. I have had my CDL before and been with a trainer I did not care for and he did not shower very often and was an older guy that it was his way or the highway.

Go back to school or hire in

I understand. It's perfectly reasonable. I'll post here in a few months to let you guys know what happens. To be honest, I thought I was just hopeless getting back into the industry. I am just thrilled that I have a second chance to get back into it.

I don't know how to insert it in here. I am looking into driving OTR as well. What I have found out is, if you type in company reviews up.top in the serach bar there is a review of alot of companies. Pick one and check out the experience level. Alot have no experience and you could try one of those since you still have your license.

TMC Company Sponsored CDL Training

I have looked on here but can not find it. But if anyone is unaware TMC has been offering Company sponsored training for around a year. I just found out today through a friend of mine that they offer it. Brett could you add that to your list if you do not already have it for newbies like me. I think I might do this. I have really been leaning towards them. The only reason I was not leaning towards company sponsored earlier was due to the fact that the school I wanted to go to offered prehire letters for TMC and I did not know that they offered the training.

Use of "Home Time" for appointments, etc

My understanding from looking through these forums and having read reviews of other drivers on GlassDoor about their home times (I was looking through Prime, Inc's) -- I've come to the understanding that if I request home time in advance for, let's say, June 28th 2019 -- I can't expect to actually be home on June 28th, 2019 as requested. Right?

Personally, I'd rather use my "home time" to travel and make stops across the country (pre-planned, of course, sightsee-y crap) so I'm not actually going HOME, per se, but.....

If I did make medical appointments and whatever, in that I actually do request "home time" to, well, actually BE home for -- how do you guys swing this so that your own medical/mandatory appointments (such as DOT physicals, a court hearing, or something!) aren't missed?

I'd hate to request HOME "home time" solely for an appointment to completely miss it, when the request, well, revolved around the appointment.

That's what I was just thinking about. I will be retiring from the military soon and I will have to attend mandatory medical appointments that will be schedule that I will have to make at a set time or I could lose my retirement check if I do not make them.

Company sponsored training vs Private school

The only difference us that if you attend s company owned/sponsored cdl school you are obligated to work for that company for s cettain period of time (usually one year) to fulfil your contract with them.

It's a good way to get your cdl if you don't have or don't want to lay out the cash for a private school.

Does it matter if you have a certificate or dipolma from a private driving school vs attending company sponsored program and not receiving a certificate or diploma?Such as if you drive for a while then stop and want to start again does the certificate or dipolma matter? Does it help you secure a better job? Example Driver A worked with attended company sponsored training through company S and drove for them a year and then left to go to company T. Driver B went to a private school joined Company S and the transfered to company T. Does driver A have less of a chance at receiving the better job them Driver B.