Comments By Johnny Boy

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/misc-images/johnnyboy.jpg avatar
  • Johnny Boy
  • Comments:

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Training is almost over thank you!

Congratulations! Just enduring training can quite often be no small feat. You did it, now you can move on and enjoy your new career. Take it slow and try your best to not hit anything. I wish you the best!

Training is indeed, very rough. At least for me. I've thought about walking out quite often haha.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Waiting in terrible traffic

My guess would be cleaning a fuel spill or cargo spill, or perhaps having to treat somebody for injuries at the crash site (to get them stable enough for transport to a hospital). Could be somebody stuck in a vehicle, or just so many vehicles tangled up its taking a while to get it pulled apart.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Training is almost over thank you!

I've been in this trainers truck for nearly a month now but it is over today. 3 weeks of truck school and 180 hours of driving with somebody that..... I don't like (to put it simply). But it will all be worth it. I will be driving for real money (not the pennies Covenant throws at you while in training) in the truck with my stepdad as a team making more money than I thought would be possible in my first year.

I have come to this website for its resources and practice tests and forum questions/answers (many I didn't need to post about because I found a thread relevant to my question) time and time again. I don't know how I would have done it without this website.. Just want to say thanks to the creators/moderators of this site. It's an invaluable resource to anybody with a question that involves trucking and the challenges that come with it.

I'm done being cliché now.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Truck Stop Horror Stories

Ah, only blind-side parking. That's a good one. How do people do that, anyway? Do you just use the blind spot mirror?

I mostly do it on prayer and faith. LOL ! I honestly don't know but for some reason I'm actually sometimes better at it than sight side. LOL

JJ

I was wondering about those blindside slants myself, why the hell do they angle them that way?

I'm pretty new but I have just taken the truck to the left side of the parking lot "road" and backed into the slanted spots on the sight side.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Power inverters

Hometime* 7 days of the week*

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Power inverters

One thing about Covenant that I do like, if you are teamed up with somebody and you both have hazmat. As long as you are available for a load (meaning not on homesite, they don't count a 34 against you) for all 8 days of the week they have a guaranteed minimum. 850 if you've been driving less then a year, 1000 if you are over a year. So if I am ready to be dispatched from the house and they live me sitting for a long time, I wI'll at least get something.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Power inverters

1. Why do you need to be home for a week? Most home breaks are 4 days, give or take, and happen about once every 4-6 weeks.

2. That happened to me. I was happy with my KW T680, they told me to bring it in - it had been sold. OK, but I left with a Freightliner with what I consider the smallest sleeper area short of a Lightweight. Bo hoo. Then I kept driving, only a bit cramped in the back.

I took 8 days off in July because my sister was having a baby. it was a bit unpredictable as to when though. they were planning to induce it about 2 days before I got home then decided to wait 1 more week, so that was 5 days of home time, then it took like 20 hours for the baby to be born from time it was induced, and me and my mother (passenger with me) wanted to visit with baby so 2 more days and then it wasn't till next day that they had a load for me (sister lives in rural area, well compared to the big cities, so not as much freight nearby). So 8 days total.

Just giving you a good reason, since you asked.

Ah, that is a good point. I am fortunate enough to be living near a city with "some" freight (maybe?) Coming out of it. Not a huge city. Lexington, KY is the nearby city. When they had me go home to test for hazmat and tanker it only took them 2-3 hours (after i got my endorsements) to get me and my trainer a load out of there. Here's hoping that luck will continue!

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Power inverters

I have kids at home and I would like to be home longer than 3-4 days when I do get home. I am new to the career so I don't know what will work best. I do plan on being OTR for 3-5 years before I work local though.

Power inverters

Wow. There is a lot to think about. Thank you all for the info. I was hoping it would be simple as Covenant has been known to reassign your truck if you are at home longer than 7 days, or just because they want to trade your truck in to freightliner and get a new one. The shop will install an inverter to the battery for us, but they limit it to either 1000 or 1500 watts. It's too expensive to eat at truck stops all the damn time, so I'm trying to find a way to eat and cook out of the truck.

Power inverters

Awesome, thank you for the insight.

Tennessee truck driving school

I just went through their program, sponsored by Covenant Transportation. I am very pleased with their program and the trainers. They also have a school in north Carolina and one in Tampa (the one in Tampa is "Tampa Truck Driving school")

They take anybody from out of state and will even house you in an apartment with washer, dryer, and a full kitchen. They even supply toilet paper and basic household supplies. You just have to get there and have a way to feed yourself while you are there.

The program cost me 4300 dollars in total for three weeks of training. If you don't have the cash you have other options. You can make a down payment and go with one of the companies they have that will payroll deduct 75 a week to pay off the loan (which is in house btw), or go with one of their 3 companies that will cover the upfront costs. (Covenant, Total Truck Driving, or Steven's Transportation, they all have you sign a 6 month promissory note, but do not pull you cdl if you move to another company). The school won't pull your cdl either, however they will not release your certificate to you until your paid off. I chose covenant for reasons that aren't pertinent to this post and they have tuition reimbursement which when combined with my 75 a week will pay off the school in 6 months.

They will help with job placement for life and even have a student support line for any question you might need to ask while you are getting started in trucking. All of the instructors are former drivers and one man in particular had 24 years of driving experience and a lot of interesting stories.

The equipment they have you driver in the yard for backing maneuvers is old and raggedy. This kind of put me off, but why have new trucks to teach students how to drive. Plus fighting those beasts into submission made me feel like I'm driving a cadilac once I got into Covenants truck.

3 weeks seems like a short time to learn what you need to pass the cdl exam, but if you give it 100% you can do it. The school doesn't give up if you fail either, they will work with you on what you need help with and make sure you pass.

Anyways, that's my summary of the school I went to. I can answer any questions if I have the answer to them.

Power inverters

I am in training with Covenant right now, but when I get out I want to set my truck up pretty well. I was wondering if I could get some advice on how to do so. I plan on using my laptop which had a 135w power supply, a small tv, thermal cooler, and a microwave if I can manage it. I can get the shop (required to have the companies shop do it actually, not do it myself) to install a power inverter up to 1000w. But I see a lot of reasonably 300w to 1000w inverters that can connect to a regular DC outlet like the ones in the truck. Anybody know what those outlets can handle?

CDL Training

Hello guys and gals, I am looking to snag some advice if it wouldn't bother any of you too much. I am trying to find a CDL training program with no money down. I would much rather not be locked in with a company out of school, but I can understand that I may have to accept that fate as I have no money to put down on a CDL program. I have found one through Tennessee Truck Driving school but I would have to work with one of three companies (Stevens Transport, Covenant, or Total Transportation) for six months to avoid paying $1,000 dollars down. So I suppose what I am asking if you guys know of any financed schools with no money down, preferably without being sponsored by a company.