Profile For Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy's Info

KY

Experienced Driver

5 years, 10 months ago

Johnny Boy's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Thinking of going into trucking

I wish I would have started trucking before my family came along. I love this job. Without obligations you could live in your truck and save a very good nest egg if you manage your money well. It's not a job for everybody of course, giving it a shot isn't a terrible thing to do either, you dont have to keep trucking if the lifestyle doesn't fit you. The experience is different for everybody as well so you could get an opinion from everybody on the forum and still not experience anything we went through. In the end it's up to you, it's an opportunity, for better or worse. Just be smart, cautious, and careful if you do decide to get behind the wheel. Good luck out there. :)

Leaving a job

The first two jobs are kind of one job. I worked for covenant then moved to a company they own called star. I did start driving when i joined this forum though, and jumping jobs is a concern of mine. The problem is you never really know what a job is like unless you work it and the was thjngs are going here so far are pretty rough. I probably should give them some more time "to work the kinks out." It just seems like this is how things work in this company and its wearing me down with stress

Leaving a job

This new job is flatbed heavy haul. Pullins steel coils. I knew, and was prepared for the increased amount of physocal work so that isnt the problem. The problems i have are odd. I will use today as an example,

I started at 7 am and made a delivery with no issue. The trailer i have isnt a normal flatbed, its a coil wagon as they dont have any heavy haul flatbeds available right now, and my dispatcher tried to send me (for the fourth time) to a place that will not load it. I informed her of this and she got me a new load. The new load would have put me 1,000 lbs overweight so i told her and she got me a third load that i could carry. I was picking up in indiana and need to print a permit for the overweight load, she couldnt get me the permit for whatever reason and eventually emailed it to me and my phone wont print on the trucks printer. I decide to go ahead and pick the load up and hope the permit being on my phone will be acceptable. I get to the shipper and find out the appointment to get loaded was for 16:00 not 17:00 as my qualcomm stated (my fault for not checking if the load info was for est or cst i suppose) i call about that and get the man thats on call after 5pm. I accepted part of the responsibility for being late but mentioned that it might be good to let new drivers (ie, me) know things like that.

Things like this happen several times a week and it wouldnt be a problem but when i call about these issues they get ****ed off. They dont say anything out kf the way, i just hear it in their voices, but it makes me very uncomfortable and nervous about calling when i have issues. (Sounds *****y, but ive not had this problem at my previous two jobs) They have driver facing cameras and i was told before i showed up for orientation that they didnt. Half the time my dispatcher doesnt know what im going to get loaded with (number of coils, weight, etc). I would like to give a proper notice but im not sure how much longer i can deal with this.

Leaving a job

I started with a new company about a month ago. I could list the reasons but im going tp just simplify it and say i am not comfortable with this job and the kind of stress it puts on me. I have an offer for anither job but the orientation starts next week. If i send a message over qualcomm and tell them not to diapatch me next week because im bringing the truck in this weekend, can they hit me with a quit under dispatch on my DAC report?

It's a long shot

Sorry to dig this thread out of the grave. But I got in contact with a couple guys that work for them and have worked for them. It seems like if you are willing to put the work in, the company will treat you well.

It's a long shot

Yes, but they dont give you important things like what its like to deal with the office, what they complain about, things like that.

It's a long shot

I want to know what its like to work for them, how orientation goes, what drug test, what the trucks are like. Basic questions about a company. They just aren't a Big company so I figured chances are small I would find answers here.

It's a long shot

Had worked for Hill transportation near Louisville Kentucky I wanted to ask some questions

Drug testing

Thanks so much for the reply. I'm just very nervous about it, I would hate to ruin my career over something so stupid.

Drug testing

I started driving 9 months ago and a couple months before that I quit smoking pot. I've been applying to a lot of places but I've turned down jobs that do hair tests because I've heard they can go back over a year depending on the test used. Would the people I've applied to and turned the jobs down for be able to report that on my MVR?

Posted:  5 years ago

Hotels

I'm at the freightliner dealership. North Sid of cincinatti 1 freightliner drive is the address. Ive talked to my dispatcher, but they make us search the places out

Posted:  5 years ago

Hotels

So my commdata card isnt working because of god k ows why. Anybody know of a hotel near freightliner dealership that takes commchecks?

Tennessee truck driving school

The 450 minimum was for training, and it was salary not a minimum. You can get it bumped up to 525 if you get your hazmat. Training takes five weeks. You get a 750 minimum as a driver for the first 90 days if you have hazmat and the person your driving with does as well. 1000 minimum after 90 days. If your fleet team is worth a damn you won't see that minimum unless your truck breaks down and you're in the middle of nowhere.

Douglas, Was the minimum pay of the 450 for the first 35 days and 700 for the next 240 days true? If so was it per driver or 700 total per team a week minimum? Thanks.

I just went through their program, sponsored by Covenant Transportation. I am very pleased with their program and the trainers. They also have a school in north Carolina and one in Tampa (the one in Tampa is "Tampa Truck Driving school")

They take anybody from out of state and will even house you in an apartment with washer, dryer, and a full kitchen. They even supply toilet paper and basic household supplies. You just have to get there and have a way to feed yourself while you are there.

The program cost me 4300 dollars in total for three weeks of training. If you don't have the cash you have other options. You can make a down payment and go with one of the companies they have that will payroll deduct 75 a week to pay off the loan (which is in house btw), or go with one of their 3 companies that will cover the upfront costs. (Covenant, Total Truck Driving, or Steven's Transportation, they all have you sign a 6 month promissory note, but do not pull you cdl if you move to another company). The school won't pull your cdl either, however they will not release your certificate to you until your paid off. I chose covenant for reasons that aren't pertinent to this post and they have tuition reimbursement which when combined with my 75 a week will pay off the school in 6 months.

They will help with job placement for life and even have a student support line for any question you might need to ask while you are getting started in trucking. All of the instructors are former drivers and one man in particular had 24 years of driving experience and a lot of interesting stories.

The equipment they have you driver in the yard for backing maneuvers is old and raggedy. This kind of put me off, but why have new trucks to teach students how to drive. Plus fighting those beasts into submission made me feel like I'm driving a cadilac once I got into Covenants truck.

3 weeks seems like a short time to learn what you need to pass the cdl exam, but if you give it 100% you can do it. The school doesn't give up if you fail either, they will work with you on what you need help with and make sure you pass.

Anyways, that's my summary of the school I went to. I can answer any questions if I have the answer to them.

Tennessee truck driving school

It's a good school, at least the TN branch I went to was. Covenant went well but team driving isn't easy. Covenant will help match you up with somebody, but it's hard to drive with somebody you don't know. Good luck.

Cool thanks man, i really appreciate the response, i gotta do some research about them since i live near tampa Florida.

Correct. At least until you get a certain amount of time in, can't remember how much. But after 90 days you can transfer to either Star transportation or Southern Regrigerated Transport through Covenant as they own those companies. I went with star. I've been driving four months in total and I have a dedicated run, home every weekend and I make .40 a mile. I don't know what SRT offers though

Thank you for the reply, so they only do teams?

Hey, im looking at starting with Tampa truck driving school on monday and hauling for covenent, so far do you like the company you chose? Making a living?

Well, Covenant isn't a bad company and you can make good money there. They will keep you moving. They have decent equipment as well. I've left there though because I didn't like team driving.

Tennessee truck driving school

Thank you for the reply, so they only do teams?

Tennessee truck driving school

The family holiday meal

We make enough for 15-16 people haha. I didn't think about it that way, 100 or more at a restaurant for a family of four is an awful lot.

175-200 dollars in groceries for the meal though.

I'm Sure that will feed at least a dozen people, or groceries are VERY expensive where you live!

shocked.pngrofl-3.gif

The family holiday meal

I may not be at home but my wife and mother are cooking thanksgiving. 175-200 dollars in groceries for the meal though. I can understand why some people would rather go out for it, the cost would be similar and they don't have to clean up the mess.

Thanksgiving meal

Don't know if it helps but I'm heading east on i-10. Well my partner is driving anyway

Thanksgiving meal

Anybody have any info on a good turkey day meal on the road? I'm about to hit a dennys, but any other info before I get there would be awesome.