Comments By JD

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0750709001512492141-60789.jpg avatar
  • JD
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

When I finish school...OTR or Dedicated ??

Thank you Rob, I appreciate it. I value the opinions here and pretty much had it in my mind that I shouldn't change my plan about OTR. I am interested to find out what the difference would be in pay for someone out longer than the normal 3 weeks out, 3 days home.

Werner will have you with a trainer for 6 to 8 weeks. If you go with Werner ask for a trainer that is OTR would be my advice.

Stay away from dollar accounts until you are confident in your abilities

I usually run at least 6 weeks out and have done 15 weeks but don't recommend going that long but I do look at this as an adventure so to me attitude is a lot in being able to deal with this career I love it, not knowing where I'm going until I get a load assignment is kinda like "what's behind door number 3".

Good lucky and remember READ YOUR SIGNS!

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Just finished training at Werner

I'm now a qualified driver for Werner! Spent 4 weeks with my trainer hauling doors from Vermont up and down the northeast US, including NYC. Had a really good trainer too. He made it a point to go over trip planning and doing lots of backing. Got my truck today, but it's already in the shop. After it's done, I get to take it home for the weekend before I start my new route on Tuesday.

And I've already run into a number of terminal rats as they're called here - complainers and whiners, mostly young people. I'm going to do a regional dedicated account for Dollar Tree and I'm not listening to the complainers.

We'll see how it goes. Wish me luck.

take your time and be very careful backing in and around the cars an buildings in these dollar stores, alot of the backing will be from the blind side, go slow and of course get out and look as many times as needed

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Do Real Truckers Drive Automatic Transmissions? - article by Old School

When I was young I would've said affirmative but nearing 60 and been driving an automatic for a year I love the auto once you understand how to use it it's much better all the way around

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Neat video on wimp

Https://m.wimp.com/how-to-shift-an-18-speed-truck/

Posted:  1 year, 11 months ago

Personal Dash Cams

Go-pro black very good camera

Unfortunately a Gopro doesn't have a continuous recording loop where it will record indefinitely and automatically overwrite the oldest footage with the newest footage once the storage is full. This is a critical function for dash cams. Not only can they record continuously but they can save any clip at the push of a button.

Gopro's are awesome though. I even have the Gopro Fusion 360 camera. It's astounding.

I hook mine up to my laptop it has a 2 terabyte hard drive if nothing important happens by the end of the day I just erase it

Posted:  1 year, 11 months ago

Personal Dash Cams

Go-pro black very good camera plus it can do many other things go under water, in my race car, even takes good still photos.

It's very tough also

Posted:  1 year, 11 months ago

Any Werner Drivers?

Jason continues...

With all that said, I actually may continue to look at the last 3 companies on my list because they may offer more CPM.

Pennies...

Jason during a driver's first year of trucking; you can expect to earn about $40,000. That applies to every company on your list. Reason being, conquering the very steep learning curve limits earning potential, plus during the training the pay scale is much less.

Keep in mind as you progress the CPM will also increase and so will your mileage. Your base starting CPM at Werner will likely be a few cents higher after year one. Your income potential has less to-do with CPM and way more with available mileage and your ability as a driver to maximize your clocks. It will take a year or more to arrive at the point of truely "having your sh** together".

You have invested a lot of time researching your options and now second guessing your decision because of a few pennies. There comes a point in time when continuing to analyalze all of the "what-if" scenarios results in diminishing returns. You are at that point.

"Werner",...they are "calling" you. Go for it.

So true G-Town I average over 3000 miles a week my best be 4308 so far

Posted:  1 year, 11 months ago

Any Werner Drivers?

Sorry, I don't mean to repeat myself, but you all keep mentioning dedicated accounts. I know what those are, but I was advised differently by the recruiter.

I was advised it would be a Dedicated "REGION" and no particular account. Mostly Drop & Hook, all no touch freight. They advised I would just stick to the following states: MN, WI, KY, IN, OH, IA, IL, MI.

I need to know if that is a thing in Werner, or if that is their way of slanting the truth that it will be a dedicated account instead. If so, then I will take my 2nd option, OTR, all 48 states. I'm not ready for dedicated accounts, and I'm under the impression that it isn't, so I would like to find out what the truth is. If I can't get it then I'll have to go with a different company on my list, that isn't going to slant the truth.

I know what I want and a dedicated "account" is not it.

Don't believe everything a recruiter says. Dan is correct dedicated means delivering to different stores in a region you most likely will be doing dollar general or Home Depot accounts I highly suggest just doing OTR until you have the experience to handle a "regional" account. You can run 4 weeks out and then go home for 4 days straight to rest and spend time with family being home for a weekend is not what you think, you will sleep more than anything else and not have much time to spend with family or friends. Remember this isn't a job it's a life, I love it...

Except for chasing old school around the country and not getting to meet him. I was close enough to have thrown a snowball at him once but he took off on me.

Posted:  1 year, 11 months ago

Any Werner Drivers?

Also I don't recommend doing dedicated accounts unless you are very good at backing in tight places. Because most are very difficult small stores that are full of obstacles. Time management is key to making money.

Posted:  1 year, 11 months ago

Any Werner Drivers?

I go all over the country so no home terminal. I like it that way always a new adventure and I suggest that you go into it thinking it's an adventure, makes it fun. Joliet is our new terminal I've been to it once since it opened last month an will be there again this morning.

I like Werner very much, the only minor problem I've had with them was in the beginning was with weekend dispatch but it's all good now.

My best advice to you is to always read your signs to start every sign and take your time. More later gotta roll

Posted:  1 year, 11 months ago

Any Werner Drivers?

I've been driving for Werner for almost a year now.

I'll answer any questions you have or get you in touch with someone who has the answers if I don't know.

JD

Solo OTR work hours vs personal time

Yeah I went to McCormick to pickup a load and they rejected the trailer so now I'm sitting in a trailer shop parking lot for the last 4 hours of my drive time waiting for them to decide to repair the trailer...... but I have my laptop so I'm good

JD

Still hate I was so close to old school an never got to shake his hand......

Spare Parts And Tools You Should Carry In Your Truck

Don't forget your grease bags for fifth wheel also neoprene gloves and I use an old hotel card to clean the grease hanging over the edge to put it back where it's needed

JD

Werner training - looking for opinions

Hello all. I am new on here but I have an issue that I would like to submit and see what you all might think. I start orientation with Werner Enterprises this week and was going to go out with my trainer starting today. I met her and she looked terrible. She looked unbathed and had a beard (yes she had a beard) and mustache of serious growth. Her truck had trash all over it and she had to clean space to accommodate for me and my stuff. I realize that out on the road you and the truck get kinda lived in but she was waiting for 6 hours on a load yesterday and got to the Werner terminal last night and then heard from her about 10 am. She could have took out the trash at least. Then I find out we were waiting for a load to Laredo, Tx so she could get new tires put on the truck. Why did we have to go to Laredo when we were already at the terminal and they had tires to put on the truck? That didn't make sense to me.

Since I was going to be driving to Laredo I started think....if the truck had bad tires just how bad are they? The truck did not pass the inspection so what else was wrong? What if I had a blowout and was stranded on the road? Since I am a newbie just out of school I don't know my trainer or my dispatcher or Werner. I don't know where the truck has traveled or how long the tires had been on the truck. She did not bother to produce for me the pre-trip or post-trip inspection for me to see what, if any, issues there are from the past and what had been fixed. I did not feel safe driving a truck that was not road ready. According to the orientation classes as well as driving school classes if you don't feel safe in the truck you shouldn't drive it until it was fixed. That is what I told my dispatcher. I refused to go until the truck passed inspection and I could see the inspection sheet. She of course, acted like I was was being unreasonable. We are talking about my life here with strangers and a big rig. What is your opinion on this? Was I just being a wimpy newbie or what? I really was so excited about getting to drive. I love driving. This was really shocking to me though. Let me know what you think.

I drive for Werner. I was at Dallas terminal a few days ago the shop there is extremely busy so your truck is being routed down to Laredo for service that means the tires aren't critical and can take a few hundred more miles. As far as your trainer just ask her if you can help her clean the truck try to make friends with her because she is the one that holds all the cards right now. Just make the best of it you'll only be with her for 6 to 8 weeks drive as much as you can everyday and back as much as you can and remember to read EVERY SIGN!

Oldskool

Oh man JD, we were right next to each other. As I pulled out of Alexin I saw Peyton's DC right across the street!

I understand oldskool but I'm so close....... maybe next time, be safe out there

Oldskool

Did you use the TT Tracker App?

Yeah I used the app here

Oldskool

Hey I see I'm near oldskool!

I'm at the Peyton north dc in bluffton...

Friend of mine needs a second chance

I sent here the info you gave me Brett thanks

JD

Let your friend know about this place (TT) and ask her to sign up, too.

I have, she's a lurker..... but 3 of the companies you guys suggested have offered her a second chance so she's happy!

Non Dedicated Routes-OTR

Although I do go to repeat customers every so often, my loads are typically random. I never know where I'll be next, and I like it that way.

My wife is a night owl, staying up way past my bedtime and up at the crack of noon-ish. I'm usually unloaded/reloaded, and on the way to the next receiver by the time she comes out the sleeper to ask what state we're in and where we are headed. The element of surprise is fun.

I wholeheartedly agree with this! This is why I only do OTR I like not know where I'm going from day to day............

Friend of mine needs a second chance