Comments By My CB Handle is Frank

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-nmqN6-BRBNk/WJ41SvLp54I/AAAAAAAAAHQ/J37xI7SPTSQ_wMk8QnD6G9Adx8fruT9dwCLcB/w328-h437-no/ninja.jpg avatar

Is it smart to have a CO and smoke detector in your sleeper?

I use an alarm clock as well as the alarm on my phone. It's an old habit I have because I'm always setting my alarm when I'm tired and setting it wrong.

If you drive with a trainer or co-driver, it's also a good idea because you can set your phone alarm for a few minutes earlier, wake up to that one usually and turn off your louder alarm without waking up your co-driver.

Fears on the Road

Here's a new one for you: Getting your load stolen while you sleep at the receiver, waiting for them to open up in the morning. At least it was just a burglary and not a robbery:

The federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and local police are investigating the theft of a large number of guns being delivered to a sporting goods store in Olive Branch. A combined 61 handguns and six long guns were being delivered to Academy Sports on Goodman Road, according to Olive Branch Police Chief Don Gammage. He said the truck driver had fallen asleep behind the store on Sunday night, awaiting an early morning delivery Monday. When he woke up, he and Academy Sports employees found that the seals and locks had been cut off the truck, and the guns and a small amount of ammunition were gone. http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/2017/05/08/mississippi-guns-stolen/101428540/

I can almost guarantee that if you're in Memphis in the wee hours of the morning, you're not going to "fall asleep" with guns on your truck. This is pretty fishy, so many preventable things went wrong in order for this to happened.

Bummed out! Arghhh.

There are some tricky ones up there. The smaller ones also open and close more frequently so if you use the CB or TruckerPath or something to anticipate the scales and hear that they are closed, you don't want to get lackadaisical about looking for them. They can still open back up at any time.

I had a close call in SD also. Now, the radio gets turned down and the cruise gets turned off whenever I approach a scale.

Which truck would you like to have?

c-hpxnnuwaaw50a.jpg?w=738

I would drive the new Tesla semi. It hasn't even been built yet and it's already the best truck in the world. It can go 1,000 miles with no gass. It's battery power cannot be measured but they say they are as powerful as 10,000 ninjas and you don't have to worry about watching your mirrors because it doesn't have any.

Dog Friendly Trainers

Some companies will have you train with local drivers who are home each day. This would mean you'd still have to find a place to live and to keep your dog during training. If this option is available to you, you should definitely look into it. If you get a chance to train while you're, fresh and well rested rather than team driving otr, you want to do it. Even after training, going OTR with a collie could be tough. You'll have long days where you'll be too tired to get out and walk her and be at shippers/receivers that don't allow dogs outside of the truck.

I would make companies with more local drivers a top priority and be willing to put in some work on the docks until you pay your dues. '

Needed help with tandem sliding or weight limit

Are you sure you were scaling correctly on a good scale with your parking brakes off? Maybe a silly question but it's strange for the the fifth wheel to be off by that much. You've got my curiosity up as to how that could happen.

Avoiding Door Knockers

I always pull the curtains shut. When they're closed I don't recall any knocking. If the curtains are open, I have had homeless Vets, guys with their car down the road without gas money, even a magazine sales person.

There! This is what I wanted to say. Here is the way my "spelling helper" had it:

I always pull the curtains shut. When they're closed I don't recall any knocking. If the chains are open, I have had numerous Vets, guys with their car diem the first without has money, even a magazine sales performance.

Lol well I might pay $20 for a magazine sales performance. Closing the curtains does usually help. I did get a persistent knock when I had them closed once though. Maybe it was just bad luck.

Game....Rookie Year To Do List

It's the term sometimes used for the visual check you are already performing; lock across kingpin, no visual gap between fifth wheel and upper coupler (flat area where the kingpin is mounted) and the lever almost completely under the fifth wheel. If you do that plus the tug test every time, it's highly unlikely you will ever drop a trailer.

Gotcha thanks. I check mine every time. The jaws on my truck can be a bit temperamental sometimes so I have to check.

Hair folicle testing

It's hindsight for you but for anyone who's smoked weed, find a reason to wait 30 days to go to trucking school. Don't let those recruiters rush you. They don't gain anything from having you show up and fail, so just tell them you have some loose ends to tie up first.

Game....Rookie Year To Do List

Kat, Numbers 1, 3, and 7 are considered preventable accidents in most companies...that is, if they are reported. Be careful, many of the TL carriers have a 3 strike rule for rookie drivers. From my vantage point, you are potentially there. Possibly getting by because the dropped trailer didn't cause any damage. You got lucky if that's the case.

GOAL when you are performing a trailer coupling operation, "before" to prevent overriding or undercutting the "kingpin" and after to make sure the kingpin is secured in the locking jaws. Do that shimmy test every time you couple, a tug test will not always indicate if you are high-coupled.

Please be careful.

I have to confess ignorance as to what a shimmy test is. Could you fill me in? I've always just done a tug test and checked the jaws visually.

How to become a trucker?

There's all kinds of info about company sponsored training and CDL schools on the site here. Some schools provide some combination of food, housing and financial aid or financing so you still may be able to go that route.

It doesn't get talked about as much on this site but you can also work as a dock worker for a lot of companies and get cdl training in the process if you show that you're interested and a good worker. It helps to live near a freight lane. Personally, I would have gone this route if I could do it over again. It's really just a matter of which option is best for you though.

Avoiding Door Knockers

I haven't had many experiences with late night knocks on my truck fortunately but when I have, I've had a hard time getting back to sleep.

Any advice for avoiding knocks on your door late at night? I'm guessing that if someone is bold enough to knock on your truck at 2am, they're probably just going to ignore one of those "no lot lizards" signs.

The couple of times I've experienced them, they were persistent and would knock until you got up so you couldn't just ignore them. They were actually in nicer, well lit truck stops also.

Podcast #13: Three Problems Rookie Drivers Struggle To Overcome

I don't have much to add to this thread. Just wanted to say "thank you" for doing these. I'm a rookie driver and really enjoy these while I'm driving.

Tesla to Unveil Electric Tractor Trailer

Not completely on point but why do we not see more electric reefers or APU's? You'd think that one of these could be electric and the motor from one could drive the other when parked. I've done a little searching but I haven't been able to find out why these haven't taken off. I know I'd appreciate a quiet reefer that I never had to top off.

N00b Questions You (Probably) Have But Were Afraid To Ask!

3) DEF is urea and water (basically urine. i.e. Pee) it is used to convert compounds in exhaust to more environmentally friendly gases. The truck is programmed to D-rate if the process is not taking place. Other than the programming and the possibility of the filter becoming clogged it is not truly necessary to the function of the engine.you could remove the filters and erase the programming concerning the DPF system at the engine would work fine

DEF is made from synthetically produced urea at a much higher concentration than found in urine mixed with deionized water. It also has less byproducts in it than urine. Just in case anyone else was wondering if they could pee in their DEF tank.

Where to get a Mini refrigerator?

You can get a truck fridge that's designed to last in trucks and fit in the cabinet for about $500. Check out Dometics webpage or page on Amazon also. They have the dimensions for all of their models listed there.

How shady is the industry really? (Multiple logbooks and unplugging GPS trackers?)

I'm kind of curious as to how disabling a gps is supposedly able to help a driver even if it's just a conspiracy theory. It seems like all it would accomplish is getting a bunch of annoying messages on the Qualcomm asking where you are.

Trucker Path app and truck stop reviews

The reviews can be helpful for seeing what's within walking distance of the truck stop like grocery stores. Other than that, they're good for entertainment value. Lately I've noticed truckers trying to see how big of a funny lie they can get away with in there reviews. I went to one rest area where a trucker said he had a shower and a nice workout in the gym upstairs. The place didn't even have a second floor.

Audio Learning on the Road

Does anyone have any educational podcasts or audio that they like to listen to on the road? I've found some great sites for online learning but they are mostly either text based or video based.

I found a site called Skillshare which is awesome. If you're a curious type who wants to learn new skills on the road, I recommend it. It's all video based though. Not very good for listening to while driving. I've also been listening to the SideHustle podcast on iTunes. Any other suggestions?

Going From Reefer to Flatbed at Prime

I'm a rookie reefer driver at Prime who would like to switch over to flatbed at some point. I was wondering if anyone knows what the process of being paired with a trainer would be like. Do I get to talk to trainers and choose or do I pretty much take what I'm given? I've done the research and would like to switch over sooner rather than later but if they'll let me match up with a trainer who is a good fit, I'd rather take my time. I take my hometime in Springfield so I'm around the terminal often. Thanks.

Old School, if you see this, big props to you for all of your input here. I've read a lot of your posts while considering the switch. I owe you a coffee one of these days.