Profile For Mark F. ( DAYBREAKER )

Mark F. ( DAYBREAKER )'s Info

Greenville, NH

Company Driver In Training

3 years, 2 months ago

Mark F. ( DAYBREAKER )'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Starting my 2nd career !

After a lengthy 540 hr course I tested once and got it done. Tuesday I fly into KC Mo. and start career # 2 with Trans Am. I'm excited and nervous. With all the pro and cons I've heard and read about TA, they were willing to take me on. I am grateful to them and all you TT drivers for all your help and input. Going in with an open mind and willingness to learn. Be safe !!! Mark

Recent personal vehicle rear end accident. No one will give me a chance...

Hey Brian, I just graduated from NETTTS ( N. Andover Ma. ). Finished the 540 on the 17th and tested out on the 11th. ( Saturday ) PASSED! Anyway, Career placement has many connections with these companies and they know which companies will not even look at you and which will give you a shot. I jumped through many hoops to get where I am, and I start with TRANS AM the end of the month. I filled out many apps and finally got a company to give me a chance. As they have all said. BE HONEST AND UPFRONT, HOWEVER, DONT VOLLUNTEER ANYTHING. You will find a company to give you a chance bud. It may not be the first or even third on your list of companies to go to, but you will get your foot in the door. And once you do? Give that company a minimum of 1 yr. 110% of your abilities and attention and who knows what doors will open. Good Luck Mark

I am attending NETTTS(New England Tractor Trailer Training School) in Somers, CT

CAN I GET SOME NANAS PLEASE?

When I passed my permit I asked for Bananas and got some with an explanation that bananas are meant for after you pass you cdl test. WELL CAN I GET SOME MORE DANCING BANANAS PLEASE? I PASSED YESTERDAY MORN. Moving onto the next step. Orientation at Trans Am in a couple weeks.

Trans Am

Darnell, I too will be in orientation within the next couple weeks with TA. I chose them over another company for the same reasons you did. I felt the same way about the lease op pressure. I was open and asked my recruiter about it and She was honest and said We do give you the option but in NO WAY are you obligated to lease. We have several company drivers that are long term employees and very successful. I apologized for relaying to her what I had heard on youtube and other sites about TA. She said not an issue. This is your career and if you don't ask you wont know. So keep asking !!!! Another thing about TA and my recruiter. I had a few pre-hires in hand and have been keeping them updated throughout my schooling as to how things were going and questions I had. THE ONLY RECRUITER TO REPLY BACK WAS CARRIE AT TRANS AM. She would get back to me within minutes and I'm still waiting for the others to reply. That in itself was impressive to me. Also Carrie at Trans am would always answer any question I had and finish her email with YOU GOT THIS MARK! CAN'T WAIT TO MEET YOU IN MARCH. She made me feel as if I were already on team TA. Also I was told about the Greyhound bus ride of 40 hrs. I asked if it were possible to fly into KC and she said it's not the norm but we will do that for you. Again Impressive to me. I plan to give TA 150% of my effort. I appreciate the fact that THEY TOOK ME WHEN OTHERS WOULDN'T. I've jumped through many hoops to get where I am and I'm not going to let any of it go to waist. DID I MENTION I TESTED OUT YESTERDAY AND PASSED . I AM A NEW CDL-A HOLDER. Now onto my new career with Trans Am. Good luck D.

Only thing negative we hear about TA (that's not FAKE NEWS) - is the low payscale ($ .32 ?).

But they do have SatelliteTV onboard (small consolation).

Rick

I only make 32 cpm. But I love the company I chose to begin my career. They have been nothing but supportive. I make decent money with them. I average around $750 a week take home after taxes and insurance. I usually gross around the $1000 mark. Even at the low rate of 32 cpm. (Works out to just over 3k miles a week)

Podcast: The Road Home - The Importance Of Dispatch

Thanks Brett, Keep them coming sir! Very good material for us rookies. Mark

Introducing "The Road Home": TruckingTruth's New Podcast!

Great Job Brett, I'm 1 mth short of graduation and I am going to advise all my fellow students to listen to your podcast. I hear so many different ideas these students have and some are just plain insane. But I never say anything to pop their bubble, as who knows what it takes to make their wheels roll. For me? It was very informative and realistic. Thanks sir. Mark

I haven't even listened to it yet and I'm very excited! I think this is a great idea and I hope it really takes off. Way to go Brett!!

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

Retired Driver/Instructor

Hi Amy, I live in NH as well and currently a student at NETTTS in North Andover MA. I can tell you that at New England Tractor Trailer Training school ( NETTTS ) they need instructors badly. They are located on Osgood St. in N. Andover, Ma. I'm told they are advertising everywhere for qualified instructors. From a students prospective, the classroom instructors are the best in the biz. however, get out in the yard and the instructors are limited. Some days there are only 3 instructors covering the entire fleet. I just know from talking to the instructors that they need more help in a bad way. Hope this helps. I drive 48 miles each way m-f to get to and from school. It's a large school with branches in RI, and CT I think. Good Luck

Hi Everyone, I thought I would introduce myself since I never have and have been a part of the site for a few months. I am proud to be a member of this site since it's the only one I know of that is actually real.

I started driving in 1988 and retired in 2008. I am disabled and won't be able to actually drive again but want to hang on to my CDL just in case. I spoke to a school in Concord, NH( which by the way is the only school in this area that I know of) and asked them about an instructor job. They were very interested and told me they were going to start their weekend program back up and wanted to meet me in person.

We set up a meeting which was canceled because the owner's mother had passed away. So far I have not heard from to set up another meeting. I don't want a full-time job because I am going to school to become a Graphic Designer/Web Designer. I am in my 3rd year of my Bachelor program. I go to SNHU online. It's a great way to go if you are working or too far away from the school to attend classes in person.

Like I said I started driving in 1988 but after a few lessons from my then husband I decided to go to school. I found a school near me and started classes in November 1988. I graduated January 5, 1989, with my Class 1 but didn't get a job right away because I wanted to go local. Most new drivers back then went over the road to get their experience. I had 3 kids at home and being a single mom( my marriage fell apart shortly after going to school) I needed to be close to home.

In March I finally got my first driving job. I approached the owner of an oil delivery company out of Derry, NH and told him my story and asked if he had any openings. He said not for the oil truck but he had a cab over that he planned to put back on the road and wanted to sign it on with a company in Everett, Ma. The company hauled sea containers out of the piers in Boston. This guy signed me on without so much as a road test. He knew I was a recent graduate with no experience and a female. In my area there were very few female drivers. That was the start of a wonderful career. In 1993 I applied at the only TT school in NH and was hired on the spot. Teaching, I soon found out was what I really wanted to do.

To make a long story short I have had a wonderful life behind the wheel and teaching. I taught in the classroom, yard and road for 3 different schools. The first school closed after I was there 4 years. I really miss that life. I actually taught and drove for an owner operator for years. I got a shot at dispatching for 3 different companies as well. I also got a shot at being an owner operator as well. Unfortunately, I got back together with my ex and after owning 2 trucks and going over the road to every state in the US (except Alaska and Hawaii) and 3 provinces of Canada we split up again for the last time and ended up losing the trucks. Live and learn.

Ladies, I went through a lot of crap being a female driver while teaching and dispatching but in all the years I drove I was treated with the utmost respect by other drivers 99% of the time. Of course there were a couple old fashioned drivers that actually told me on the CB of all places to "go home because women should be barefoot and pregnant." lol you can imagine what I told him. So Ladies, just keep going strong and always try and climb that ladder because there are many places for us in the Transportation world and don't mean being a secretary.

Thank you everyone and take care out there because the world for a driver is a scary place.

Take care,

Amy

Have to make a choice of company to work for.

I've spoken with drivers for this company as well as the recruiter and both said they will ALL ask you to lease over and over and over again, and if you stick to your guns and stay company they so to speak shun you. They make if very appealing to go lease IE. miles, CPM, loads, ect ect. I have no idea how true this all is other than speaking with these folks first hand. I'm not interested in leasing. I'm really hoping to get on board with a company and stay there. I'm not the type to job hop. But if they make it that unconfortable why would anyone go there in the first place. I probably shouldn't say names but I'm talking about TA. Anyone have any truth about this?

Who is telling you that they "sort of push leases on you"?

I can tell you from experience I was told this about my company. Its a lie. We even have different dispatches for company drivers and lease ops... Which means if the dispatcher pushes you into lease he isnlosing a driver which is going toncost him $$$.

Ask other drivers of the company and ask the recruiter if company drivers have different dispatchers.

You Tube Trucking Videos

I have spent countless hours watching youtube videos of truckers, some of which have been mentioned and are quality. However, I've noticed in the beginning the rookies are out there giving their testimonies about how great their company is or not, and the next video you see on them they have been fired for something they did or blogged about. I tend to think that doing you tube videos as a rookie isn't such a good idea. Or they have changed companies for whatever reasons. I see some that are bragging about getting 3000 miles a week and raking in over a grand take home and the next thing you see they are complaining about sitting and not getting any miles. One guy went so far as to say he leased a truck from company X and in 3 months netted 300.00 after all was said and done. Yep He quit!!!! I thinking youtubing isn't always the best thing for a rookie to do.......

You guys.....this is exactly the kind of stuff I was talking about a few days ago when I asked if we should setup a video section here on TruckingTurth.

I've surfed YouTube for good quality trucking videos and that's a painful process. 95% of it isn't really helpful to anyone that wants to learn more about the industry, the job, and the lifestyle. But the other 5% is really great.

So send more ideas like these! I can setup a video section with different categories like:

- The trucking lifestyle

- The realities of the job

- backing videos

- shifting videos

- cooking in the truck

- electronics reviews

...all kinds of different categories. That way people don't have to endure the painful process of sifting through 27,000 YouTube videos. I can embed the good ones right here on TruckingTruth.

Have to make a choice of company to work for.

The good news is I've gotten pre-hires from 2 companies and now I have to make the decision which one is the better of the 2. I'm about a month short of graduation from School and trying to decide which way to go. One company sort of pushes Lease op on you and the other sort of pushes Teams. I'm not interested in leasing a truck straight out of school. And I have to Team for 3 months before I can go solo if I so choose or I can stay teams. hhmmmm? decisions decisions. Be safe Mark

A question for the swifty's

Thank you sir, I knew if I asked an actual swift driver I would get good intel. I'm a pretty logical guy and figured the company cannot be all that bad if they have been running the hwys for all these years. Like I stated earlier, no matter what company I looked into, I found good and bad from them all. As you stated. It's the driver that makes his/her own success with whatever company they work for. Thanks for the input. Be safe

Mark...

Yes Swift is huge and they also have a huge amount of freight. Swift is arguably the most maligned and also most misunderstood company in the trucking industry. They hire and fire more entry level drivers than any other carrier, so naturally they have more than their fair share of rookie follies that end up on YouTube and alleged bad experiences discussed ad nauseam on trucker websites. Lots of fodder that many times is reused and propagated as if it were brand new for a whole new batch of unsuspecting newbies to read and view. Horrifying. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Swift also has an incredible number of million plus mile drivers with no accidents,...you rarely "hear" about that. They next time you "hear" something bad about Swift, ask the individual if they ever worked for them and if so why is Swift so bad. Usually they will say "well I heard", and right there you basically diffuse further discussion because their knowledge is shallow unsubstantiated hearsay. If they actually did drive for Swift, 999 times out of 1000, you will find the driver was at odds with Swift for a series of critical mistakes and/or chronic unprofessional behavior. It's easy to then badmouth Swift to divert attention from the root cause of the falling out; driver error or unprofessional behavior and/or bad attitude.

In short I have been with Swift for over 4 years now, trained with them, stayed with them and have no intention of making a move at this stage of my life or career. They meet my needs, I make very good money, flexibility, have great working relationships with my DMs, Planners and Terminal Management. I am on a Dedicated Grocery Account servicing Walmart stores and Sam's and totally enjoy my job. There is a core of drivers at my DC/terminal that have been with Swift for 3 or more years, several with 10 years. I know of four drivers in the past two yeas hired by Walmart's Private Fleet from the ranks of experienced Swift drivers at the DC with Walmart Dedicated experience. That doesn't happen by accident (pun intended), it's by design.

I recently became a Grandfather for the first time. My Granddaughter lives with my daughter and son-in-law in a suburb of Indianapolis. Without asking, my DM offered to route me to the Muncie IN Walmart DC and run loads out of that region if I ever want to visit them for a period of time and then route me back home. I didn't ask,...it was offered, no conditions, no strings attached. How many so called "crappy" companies offer that to a driver? I have other stories just as compelling.

It's trucking so there is always challenges to overcome, hurdles to clear and bumps in the road. Nothing has occurred that I wasn't able to work out or manage while at Swift. Are they perfect? No. But contrary to popular belief, a professional and safe driver can succeed with Swift and any other several dozen companies I can think of off the top of my head. This job is about performance,...pure and simple. Those who figure it out and perform,...tend to refrain from posting any information because they are too busy earning a living and running their a** off. Those that can't perform have all the time in the world and typically will take the "time" to post negative and false information, telling anyone who will listen or read how they were horribly wronged by Swift. Call a Swift recruiter,...they will talk with you.

Here is a link of posts I have made regarding Swift: Swift Posts and Replies

Good luck. I am sure Gladhand, Tractor, Paul, Errol, Mr. T and Jim will chime in at some point.

A question for the swifty's

Afternoon Gladhand, G-Town, and any other Swift drivers out there. I haven't been on here in a while however, I've been reading the posts. I'm in school and doing very well. I've gotten 2 pre-hires from companies. I asked the instructor today why we never get any info or recruiters from Swift to come in. And I kind of got the crooked eye. I have asked my friends who are drivers about swift and got bad reviews. Now I'm asking the 2 guys that I know work for Swift what is the deal with the bad reputation? I know swift is the largest company in the industry from what I'm seeing, and they have been around a long time. Can you guys give alittle insight on how it is to work for swift without getting into any trouble? I have been researching so many companies and there are good and bad reviews with them all. It really depends on who you ask and the drivers themselves. Thanks, Mark

Posted:  3 years ago

Any Schneider Drivers out there?

Hey thanks for the intel Kurt. I just got off the phone with a recruiter and filled out the app for the OTR position out of Shrewsbury Ma. She said the app was perfect. So once I complete school we take the next steps. I'm happy to hear that what the recruiter told you was pretty much on line with what really takes place. I've talked with drivers from other companies and haven't heard to much negativity towards the BIG ORANGE. Keep the wheels turning and be safe. Thanks again, Mark

I drive for Schneider, but I'm not really sure how to answer your question except to say that I don't know any reason to avoid it. I've been solo 8 months now and I'm doing pretty well. Pretty much everything the recruiter told me was true (and another Schneider driver here, Steve I think, says the same). I've talked to drivers who weren't getting many miles, but that seems to be every company, including some of the regulars here. I think it's pretty much the same as the other big companies. I think some companies pay better (like Prime), but that probably shouldn't be the only thing in choosing a company.

If you have any specific questions I'll try to answer.

Posted:  3 years ago

Any Schneider Drivers out there?

I'm about 1/4 into school, and the company recruiters are coming in and looking for pre-hires. SCHEIDER has a terminal about 30 min from home and their comp. pkg looks comparable to most others. I haven't heard anything good or bad about them. Although, yrs ago I knew someone who left his rig in a TS because they couldn't get him home when he wanted. ( so he said )... I kind of doubt that's the real reason. So just looking for some honest intel good or bad.

Thanks, Mark

Posted:  3 years ago

Starting to wonder

How do you know if a LOT LIZARD is an UCC? ask him/her to smile. If you see teeth? its a COP lmao Just a funny ha ha

Is it worth it? I know I am the positive guy most of the time but lately I am not enjoying it like I usually do. I am not liking the constant travel or lifestyle as much as I thought I would. I still love driving, but some of the OTR things aren't really for me. Granted some of my complaints can be fixed, but basic luxuries we have at home I sure do miss. I would almost gladly take the 40hr work week back, but sadly I can't make a decent living doing so. I am not quitting by any means, but I am finding that I don't really like otr as much as I thought. It's one of those harsh reality type things. Man I was stupid for thinking I would work less as truck driver...

Brother, laziness is not going to get you anywhere, Trucking is a minimum of a 6 day a week job with 12 hour days. Minimum. How much are you making?

How much longer is your obligation to swift? If its almost over hang in there, if its just begun I would tell them if they keep pushing you around you will park the truck and walk. Let them sweat a little. you are not a slave my friend.

You are a young guy, look into the trades, start applying. Electrician, plumber, HVAC. The best thing would be to get a college degree if you want easy work. Blue collar work is hard, dirty and dangerous.

What do you miss the most? Are you lonely? If you are its ok to admit. Its tough.

Missing your love life? There are ways to get a date on the road that don't involve a diseased lot lizard, its not something many drivers will talk about but you can get company for a night on the town in almost any city over 100,000 people. I have done it and am not ashamed. you are a young guy and missing out on almost unlimited no strings attached hookups. Heck you can get a very classy lady or guy or whatever floats your boat, if your truck is clean they may even be willing to come back to check out your "house" after your date if its a nice clean truck. I have had company that wanted to try new things and were thrilled to check out my truck.

Are you a drinker? I am not but my trainer was and every so often he would take hometime in some new place, get a hotel and some company and drink so much he forgot his name. He said he needed to have a good hard drunk every couple months or so he said it was kind of like a reset for his mind.

Your in a rut brother. It happens to all of us. Even Joe six pack that works in a factory. I am not saying that you need to stay in trucking, but don't be afraid to spice it up a bit.

Brent had many good suggestions as well.

Posted:  3 years ago

Starting to wonder

Hey Gladhand brother, When I started on this site I would read and read and read and you were one of the most impressive new drivers with a great attitude. Always looking at the positive. Always had something positive to say. Enjoying life. Then the day you grabbed your handle I laughed. You actually helped me remember what a gladhand was. And now your doing it again brother. By posting your feelings and seeing just how fast this can happen is about as honest as it gets bro. I'm sure you will figure out a way to get through this. Some mountains you can't go around, you just have to suck it up and go through it. And with your awesome attitude I have no doubt in a very short time I will be reading about some amazing thing you did and life is great again. NO DOUBT!!!! I'm not a youngster anymore, but I've started a new career in trucking and have completed week 1 in a private school. I'm the knucklehead that took the 540 hr course that everyone said not too. ( it worked for me ) .. I was concerned about passing a DOT physical due to prior med conditions. PASSED NO PROB!, Going to take my permit test this wed. Took the practice test Friday? Aced it!!! missed 4 out of 200 questions. Not only that, I had the highest score in the class of 18. The old man still has it :) But you know what? It's just a step in the right direction. Until I get that CDL in my hand I haven't done anything yet. Thank you for your honesty sir. It just goes to show you, this isn't an easy life, it's all in how we make adjustments to get through it and be happy. Good luck Bud. I'm sure you will land flat on your feet running again in a short time.

Hang in there GLADHAND

Same here I love being alone. The thing is just missing basic luxuries that I never considered luxuries. When I am on hometime I am still alone haha. It's amazing what it has done for my mental health and I can just think more clearly. I notice more things than I used to. Do you guys get the feeling as an otr driver as being an outsider that has an outside view of society? Like we are on the outside and get to examine what is going on inside of society.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Give me some banana's please

Well I know I wont have any leg cramps for awhile lol Thanks all be safe, & roll on

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefineddancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifundefineddancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifundefineddancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

NANAS!!!

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Give me some banana's please

Roger that anchorman, I don't want to break tradition. I will get mine legitimately soon enough. For now I will take the bunches of dancing bananas and friends and do the happy dance ole style :) Thanks all. Damn I haven't gotten so pumped about something in a very long time. Forgot how good it felt. And I just got a start date! what the heck will it be like when I graduate? I will be sure to let you know. But in the meantime I am going to boogie my ass to the coffee pot and get back here to study some more.

Does someone want Dancin' Nanners? Well....... Alrighty Then!

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifrofl-3.gif

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Give me some banana's please

There it is baby. the dancing banana and friends lol Thanks

Congratulations. dancing-banana.gifdancing-dog.gifdancing.gif

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

How old were you when you started driving truck?

55 yrs young