Comments By HeavyHauler

https://www.overdriveonline.com/files/2013/03/Photo-Mar-20-2-00-31-PM.jpg avatar

Posted:  6 years ago

Bobtailling

Last march I drove 40 miles bobtail in Williston ND in a snow storm over snow packed frozen dirt roads to the well head to swap tractors so the other driver could go home the next day, I spent the next 7 days spending 12 hrs a day delivering Frac Gell from my tanker to the mixing truck. man camp and everything. made 2 trips up there last winter, flew up the first time, and rode back with the driver. 2nd trip helped drive up there (1100 miles) legal, air brake written passed. spent another 7 days onsite, after they were finished Frac ing the well and tearing down I called the company and said I quess I'm driving back (empty) . they asked if I was ok with that, I was , have spent many years on the road driving a smaller combination truck but thats another story,,, Turbo Dan

I've been to that miserable town. I did some "training" for the Corps up there between Minot and Williston. The Christmas of '03 it was -35 and -65 with the windshield factor in. Needless to say, we did not dare to venture outside for any reason. Don't care to ever experience that again.

Posted:  6 years ago

Received a job offer

I'll be on here as much as I can keeping you all informed. Im excited and nervous all at the same time. Im gonna have to try to meet up with ThinksTooMuch......if I can catch him.

Posted:  6 years ago

Received a job offer

I have decided that the best fit for me and my career is Schneider Tanker and Bulk-load. I had a phone interview this morning which lasted 1 hr and 15 minutes. After which she extended a conditional offer of employment.

The only thing holding me up is my knee brace. I am waiting for a waiver from their medical team on my knee brace. After that, I leave 03Dec2013 for Corapolis PA. I'm excited and a little nervous. But it will be one hell of an adventure.

Posted:  6 years ago

Weak

Buy yourself a patella stabilizing knee brace online, or at a pharmacy, or wal-mart. I have had 2 knee surgeries. One major and one orthroscopic. I don't need my knee brace for many situations. But if I don't wear it when clutching, when I'm done driving, I will be limping like I need a cane. If I wear it and drive, then my knee feels fine. Its the support that will help you.

Posted:  6 years ago

I PASSED

I took my test at 0830 this morning. So let me tell you about my day.

1. I arrived to school 10 minutes before my instructor at around 0530 to finish my 1hr of night driving. Both trucks had been towed overnight because the company attached to the school threw a sissy fit. AND THEY RENT THE BUILDING FROM THE SCHOOL!!!!!

2. I came outside from the DMV building to do my PTI and range skills test to find a container truck parked on the pad 3 feet from the alley dock. I completed my PTI and passed my alley dock. But the truck threw me off and I had to do a pull up and received 7 encroachment points. My examiner couldn't find the driver of the container truck.

3. The DMV range pad has a huge and I mean huge hole on the entrance. So deep that you will bottom out and the landing gear will catch it and dig under the concrete. It will cause damage. As we were trying to leave the pad she made me go off to the edge to avoid the hole and the container truck with the missing driver. The difference in the terrain caused my left side drive tires to raise completely off the ground and the differential wouldn't lock. My examiner called over my instructor and her boss. Her boss said to fail me because I displayed my lack of knowledge on what to do in the real world. This ****ed my instructor off because their pad and lack of maintenance caused the issue. He argued that this is a schools truck and that she called him over. After 15 minutes of them arguing, she finally left it in the hands of my examiner. My examiner said F*** it, get in the truck and lets get out of here. From there on I racked up a whopping 3pts. I grinded 8th, coasted during that time trying to find it, and ended up skipping 8th and going to 7th after failing to catch it. So 3 points is awe...... wait for it........some!!!!!

I am now a certified CDL-A holder with double/triples, and tanker endorsement.

Posted:  6 years ago

Test tomorrow 19Nov2013

I've got my pre trip down word for word. And the skills range wont be an issue. Just the driving portion. Ugh

Posted:  6 years ago

Test tomorrow 19Nov2013

Well, I take my CDL test tomorrow at 0830. I have got test anxiety like you wouldn't believe. Part of it is from all the horror stories we have been told about the Ladson DMV and how they fail students for non-failable offenses. Or the fact that they don't abide by the CDL Test administrative compliant according the rules and regulations set forth by the SCDOT. But I'm praying that I will pass. And if I get the Hawaiian lady, I will bring her a pineapple.

Posted:  6 years ago

PTSD and Trucking

Honestly, I have to use a whole arsenal of tools to keep me from exploding. Everything from long deep breathes, thought training (flushing out the negative and replacing it with positive), walking away, going for a jog, and at times just screaming bloody freakin murder.

The hardest problem for me is just ignoring the rhetoric and stupidity that people more often then show choose to display. And the thing that ****es me off the most is someone telling me that I need to work on my anger issues and not be so ****ed off all the time. (which is hilarious, because a lot of the time I'm not). Or that PTSD is not a real "condition". They fail to recognize that PTSD is something that you just cant turn on or off like a light switch, or choose to not let it take over at times. And for me once I start, its damn near impossible for me to stop. I have to remove myself from the situation, do my techniques, and work it off.

I welcome anyone else who has PTSD on this sight to comment and offer other ways of coping with PTSD on the road. Ways that they have found helpful for them. And I promise that no one with judge you on this. Its strictly voluntary and only if you feel comfortable.

I HAVE PTSD AND ITS FOREVER A PART OF ME!!!!!

PTSD and Trucking

Brett, you are one surprising man. I have been dealing with this going on 7 years. I use to fly off the handle with extreme ease and ferocity. I have learned to adapt and over come the extreme challenges associated with PTSD. It has taken me years to get to the point of finally recognizing when I am beyond my limits, and when I am about to explode. I am still learning how to cope with stresses and relaxation techniques. This is now apart of me, and I can only get better from here on out. Its just that there are some people who deserve to be punched in their throats. But I refrain from doing that though. wtf.gif Thank you Brett for your wisdom and advise. Its greatly useful sir.

Sincerely,

Chris a.k.a. Deweykid

I went to wia

-------------deweykid, what school did they send you to and did you have to stay 24/5. thats the way Extramile in bishopville works,but then again they dont get paid till i'm working

I had the option of going to Palmetto Truck Driving or Miller-Motte Technical College. They are both 160+ hr curriculum's and both are in North Charleston. They both give you a certificate of completion after you complete your training and obtain 160+ hrs in the areas required. 50 hrs classroom, 50 hrs range, 20 hrs driving, (3 hrs night) and 40 hrs behind the wheel observation.

I live in town so I didn't have to stay 24/5. I get $10.00 a day for gas and job assistants through the school and the SC WORKS. Although I recently heard that SCWIA isn't sending people to Palmetto because they are under investigation. For What? We dont know. But I did my research of the two schools and I found that Miller-Motte was a better fit for me.

I went to wia

I am going through SC WIA. They are awesome. If you have the opportunity to go through the WIA then do it. They will also pay you 10-20 dollars a day for gas. Depending on which program you qualify for.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

I just read a scary store about new trainees can anyone reply to this for me

Well it is not me but a trucker on another site claiming any new drivers now will end up if lucky sixty bucks a week. I thought that was out of whack for sure just wanted to post what crap I find reading other sites that is why I rely on this site for accuracy.

thanks Ron

STOP READING THOSE OTHER SIGHTS. They are nothing but discontent slanderous A-holes who think everyone should suffer because they couldn't complete training or budget properly. There are tons of drivers on here who can give you a more accurate detailed expectation of life on the road. You need to ask them and for dear God, STAY OFF THOSE OTHER SIGHTS. THEY ARE POISON. good-luck.gif

Good luck out there brother.

PTSD and Trucking

If you have PTSD, you HAVE to learn 2 things.....what your "anger buttons" are....and what you are going to do when they are pushed. For me...I just get this evil kinda smile on my face..wtf-2.gif .and keep it there...coming from a woman..and a redhead at that...It usually nuetralizes the situation..not sure how.embarrassed.gif ..it just does...and it works for me quite well. I then go home and get out my hocus pocus stuff and put a hex on 'em !!!shocked.png

Starcar your awesome

PTSD and Trucking

Brett; your anything but callous. Your extremely informative and helpful. I was just having a bad day and he seems to be one of those guys that seems to have a lack of social etiquette on certain things. I absolutely love climbing behind the wheel of a rig. (even if it is a volvo) smile.gif The feel of the open road, the solitude of a two-lane country road, the stupid crap four wheelers pull off in front of you.

The bottom line is: I was having a bad day and after spending 11 hrs in a rig with 4 other guys, I was ready to get out of there. The last thing I want to do is destroy a family. But it did bring my PTSD to light and showed me somethings I need to work on still. I am going to meet up with my counselor this week to set up a game plan for me to follow while on the road. Thank you all for the support.

PTSD and Trucking

I forgot to mentioned that this is my last week and Thursday is my "graduation" day. I haven't had one single incident. This instructor just started this week and is learning how to train new CDL students. Yesterday was his first time, and on top of this, he was never a driver trainer for the company he worked for. So he is new to the whole training thing.

PTSD and Trucking

Today we drove a total of 350 miles for school. We have an instructor in training learning how to efficiently train CDL students. He has this habit of pointing in the general direction he wants you to proceed while you are completing a backing maneuver. I'm to busy paying attention to my surroundings to be looking at his hand. I instructed him to tell me what direction to proceed, i.e. go forward, turn right, slight left. Stuff like that.

I got frustrated because he did this to me 4x today and once it put in a position of almost hitting someone head on a 2 lane side street and damn near taking out a stop sign because of this. He then told me to start waving at the motorist to tell him thank you while my trailer was still in the middle of a turn trying to avoid this stop sign. I told him I would wave, but I'm a little busy right now. He then told me that I need to start showing respect for 4 wheelers (which I always do, because I am bigger than they are) and that I need to control my anger and frustration.

I have PTSD, and sometimes its hard to control it, especially if I keep asking you to do the same thing over and over and your not. I told him this to try to give him an idea why I get frustrated so easy. He told me that that isn't and excuse and that its a bunch of bull****. ****ed me off to no-end. I was told that with me getting frustrated with him that no company will keep me on because they trainers will not put up with it. I understand that aspect. But I am pretty sure that a lot of these companies are aware of the PTSD issue's with veterans and hiring them. I'm not looking to ask any particular question, just to vent I suppose. Do any of you fine people out there in the TruckingTruth know any veterans or drivers with PTSD? Or have you seen it affect the trucking industry negatively.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Companies with longer home time options?

I to spoke with Roehl. A couple of reasons I am not considering them is this:

1. you do the 7/7 and you SHARE a truck with 2 other drivers. That's 3 drivers for ONE TRUCK.

2. They have a camera on the windshield that is pointed at you at all times. They have a person constantly monitoring it. So you have someone (creepily) staring at you. I guess you could pick your nose and wipe a booger on the lens. Give them a green boogery scope to look through. rofl-3.gif I know this because we had a recent student who drives for Roehl come to our class this week and allow us to check his truck out. The camera thing is a BIG turn off for me.

3. The 7/7 is literally a part time job with a max income of $26,000 a year. As Brett said, you'd be better as a shift manager at some fast food restaurant chain.

This isn't meant to scare you, but to give something to consider along with everything else you are thinking about. Bwahahahahahaha!

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Tonight, I get my revenge!

I would have safely did a "control brake" to wake him up. If he wasn't strapped into his bunk, he would have awoke after he hit the floor. Just my course of action. LOL Good luck Daniel. When you coming this way?

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Trucker Tracker In Beta - Try It Out!

I have an idea. When you update your location you can click on other drivers and it shows you who they are. How about having the option to click on their number, then click on their name to contact them? Either email or message? That way if your close to each other, you can contact them

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Driving To The West Coast!?

Good luck driving through that communist state. I hate going and living in California.