Comments By Big Ben

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/misc-images/ben.jpg avatar
  • Big Ben
  • Comments:

I did it!

This post is a little late but here it is. I hit my 1 year as a professional driver! The road was long and hard, but I overcame the obstacles. There were times when I was scared and wanted to quit but I didn't ( Texas panhandle ice storm in November 2015) my truck was sliding and I honestly thought I was done but I calmed myself down and luckily did not crash. There were times where the loneliness would get to me and honestly I would break down crying because I missed being home and missed My family but I always got through it. It's all about the attitude you have, if you are happy and cheerful and have that can do attitude you will prevail. If not, you're probably not going to last. I hit my 1 year on August, 26, 2016 with Swift and I am glad I didn't quit, I have an awesome dedicated account and driver manager that will bend over backwards for her fleet. I did it....Now what lol

Thanks for reading

Big Ben

Bad at a 10-speed

Some of the mega carriers are going to be all automatic soon anyways so if you can't shift I wouldn't be too worried. After I got done with my cdl school and mentor training I was put in a automatic and been in one since I went solo.

Do I still get paid?

I've been paid for repairs and detention after my hrs ran rout. I'd say yes. Don't know how swift does things though. ( I think you're with them anyway)

Thanks and yes I am a swifty

Big Ben, although I am a Swifty I am paid CPM, stop-pay and dispatch pay. Your compensation depends on your contract. Is your hourly pay for both driving and on-duty? If so is the rate for driving and on-duty the same? Regardless of extending beyond your 14 hours on-duty, you can legally work beyond that as long as you are not driving. Just keep in mind it will push your PTA further out.

I suggest asking your DM to be sure.

I get paid the same wether I am on duty driving or on duty not driving and yeah I'll ask, I see her tomorrow morning after my SIM training.

Do I still get paid?

Thanks and yes I am a swifty

Do I still get paid?

I work hourly and my 14 hos is up and I'm still being unloaded. Does anyone know if I still get paid until they finished even though I had to clock of due to my hos?

Unloading

Then an underpaid Rent a Cop will come and tell you that you have to leave.

rofl-3.gif

Geez I hope not lol

Shuttle/Local

I gotta get in on this whole nap thing, how's it work lol

Well you see, I usually just zzzzzzzzz

Shuttle/Local

I got a semi local route after just 3 months of otr with swifty from the jv terminal. I'm home on the weekends and starting out I got a bunch of L.A. And San Diego loads. Now since I have a clean safety record and proven myself dependable I get the longer loads to Arizona, Nevada, and places up north in Cali, it works out great since I get paid hourly. As a matter of fact I just woke up from a long nap that I got paid for because I'm still getting unloaded lol.

Unloading

50 minutes till my clock runs dry and I'm getting unloaded in the front odd the store lol they won't be done for another 2 hours so after they are finished I have to crawl to the back and park lol gotta love it, at least it's in a shopping center!

Unloading

I have been getting unloaded since 01:00 and was suppose to be at my second stop at 03:30, it is now 04:13 and I am still at stop 01. Eh really nothing I can do lol my clock will run dry in 3 more hours so if this store picks up the pace I'll make it to stop 02 really late lol and let the clock run out there and hope they let me do a 10 hour reset while docked. Note to self decline load if this store is in the delivery haha

Thumbs up or like?

3021307-inline-fb-thumbsup-printpackagin

Hahaha :)

Thumbs up or like?

Where's the thumbs up or like button? There are tons of good and useful posts and replies here that I would most certainly give a like or thumbs up so that way the poster or replier (is that a word lol) knows the knowledge they bestow upon us is useful. :)

Game: you first felt like a real trucker when....

After I got home from 3 months otr and I couldn't drive my car right because it felt too small.

Say Hello To Trucking Truth's Newest Rookie Solo Driver

Congrats brother, be safe out there.

Waiting to be unloaded

So I'm sitting here at the Michael's in Prescott Arizona waiting for my delivery time of 0800 and this is just one of the best shopping malls I've been to lol, there are tons of seniors here out and about on their morning walks. A few of them offered to grab me some coffee or to walk with them, I declined the walk because waiting for unloading but I stood and chat with them for awhile about the good'ole days. Two of them were actually retired truckers!

There has got to be a better Internet solution

If you have att you can get on their unlimited data plan if you also have dish network at home, it doesn't have to be in your name just the address has to have it. It's unlimited high speed data up to 22gb then after they may throttle you depending on the need of others in your area, I myself have never been throttled and have gone over the 22gb a few times already. It's only available for your smart phone though and not tethering or a movie hot spot.

Hourly pay

Ok I'm going to try to answer all the questions in the response so if I miss you let me know. I work for swift since I got my cdl back in September 2015 did otr until November 2015 then got on the Michael's dedicated account for swift in December 2015. I get paid hourly wether I'm on duty driver or on duty not driving. My work week is suppose to be Sunday through Thursday with Friday and Saturday off but that changes constantly depending on the customers need. If I don't have a load my dm will try to have me run empties back to the customer but not too often because empties are scarce. The numbers I put up are after taxes and so far I have yet to take home $1000 after taxes even with 4 hours left on my 70 hour. I hope I answered all questions. I hope I'm not coming of as complaining because I'm not and I do love the account I'm on, I just feel for being gone so long I should be making more especial if my days off are really 34 hour resets.

Hourly pay

Hey all, long time lurker first time poster. I have been with my company for 11 months already, I did 3 months otr then got lucky with a semi-local gig that pays hourly. Let me tell you a bit about it, I usually am gone for about 5 to 6 days starting Sunday driving back Friday, Saturday if I run out of drive time. Some days I don't drive at all because there are no loads, my pay checks have been anywhere from lowest $200-$800 a week. I already talked to my dm and she seems like she is trying to get me more loads. I do love driving there's no complaint there and I do love my job, it's easy dedicated. I guess my question is, for being gone from my family so long (4 year old daughter and wife) should I be making more per week that is steady and not up and down? I not to sure of I'm making any sense here but yeah there it is. Any questions feel free to ask or any inpu, thanks!