Comments By Seminole Wind

https://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r610/Marti_Snider/IMG_20160812_092531882_HDR_zps6hi5nxta.jpg avatar

TruckingTruth Merchandise Available Soon! Need Advice.

A drawstring backpack maybe . . . Some merchandise for the ladies other than pink . . . ( Bracelets, ear warmer headbands, dog tag style necklaces, etc. ) Beach or bath sheets . . . You know the big ones that actually go AROUND you . . . smile.gif

From Teaching to Trucking - My Journey So Far

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif Congrats on passing Teach !!!

Both sides of the " home time" coin

Found this write up & thought I would share to help everyone see both sides : By A.H. Bosley

Being home can be just as, if not more, stressful than being out on the road.

Some company drivers only get 3, maybe 4 days off after being out on the road for 28 days or more. You have some owner operator’s or lease operator’s that can’t afford to be home more than a couple of days.

This is all totally unacceptable, but is the way of the road warrior.

For those of you who don’t drive for a living think of how you feel after visiting friends or family members for a few weeks, in their homes – never really able to relax. It’s not your kitchen, it’s not you bed, and certainly not your bathroom.

You get home and you feel like you need a vacation from your vacation. You have to clean the car, do all that laundry, and all you really want to do is take a nice hot shower in your own bathroom, where you don’t have to make sure you have all your shower stuff with you. You can shower in comfort, door-open so it’s not all humid, and all your stuff is right where you put it – and where it shall remain. – Then sit in your recliner or favorite couch and turn on AND CONTROL your T.V.

You can fix anything you want in your kitchen where the refrigerator isn’t the size of a cooler and you have an actual stove and oven. Those that stay out more than a day or so know exactly what I’m talking about.

Since I have been on both sides of this scenario, maybe this can help your loved ones understand how you feel when getting home. I like to be left alone, as in: No demands the first day I’m at home. I just ramble around the house in some comfortable clothes. I don’t want to eat out, go for a ride, or entertain anyone. I don’t want to make decisions for anyone or be responsible for anything. I have been on the job away from home and camping in a tin box for 28 days. I just want to enjoy my house, my stuff, and in my space. Whether I’m mowing the grass or laying on the couch – it has nothing to do with how I feel for my family and friends. I just need to decompress.

Sometimes this takes more than a day.

I have also have been on the other side of the coin – being at home all the time. No one there to help with anything as the honey-do list grows. Responsible for making all those calls, for the appointments, repairs, scheduling, planning, deciding, cleaning, handling all the day-to-day humdrum. Then for those that have children there is the discipline, homework, ballgames, the list is never-ending. All you can think about is: “When is he coming home?” and “What/where are we going to go?” – Which is the total opposite of what he has planned. Thus, the family feud begins.

The life of a trucker or a truckers wife is a hard life, a very different life, with different pressure and responsibilities than most couples have to deal with. There is very little family time and it is the hardest to deal with. The person who stays home has everything heaped-up on his/her shoulders and the one on the road is feeling detached at times, never being able to go to the children’s games, plays, award ceremonies, etc.

– Maybe feeling like he/she is just a paycheck that passes through.

RESPECT each other and try to give and to understand each other’s roles. There are always two sides to every story, neither one more important than the other – but it only works when both halves come together as a whole.

That is why trucking is a way of life not just a profession

From Teaching to Trucking - My Journey So Far

Teach . . please hang in there. Youve been thru so much & its not permanent. I agree with the others, you need to speak with someone about the unacceptable conditions your trainer seems to think is ok. He/she is there to train you, not reap the benefits of having you on the truck & not doing the job they signed up for. PLEASE, please keep us posted. I'm sending good mojo & keeping you in my thoughts for better conditions for you.

Finally got my start date for school . .

Thank you for the well wishes & congrats from everyone . .

Rainy D- Thanks for the supportive words.

Patrick- My start date is the 21st of Jan, but the narrowing down of companies just keeps getting bigger . . lol. I'm still leaning heavily toward Werner, but walking into the school & actually sitting down with them & talking about different companies, its like Ive started my list all over again.

Finally got my start date for school . .

I want to thank everyone that keeps this site going, current & full of invaluable information. Thank you from the deepest part of my being ! . . thank-you-2.gif

So I got up this morning & was tired of waiting for my career coach to contact me after jumping thru every hoop she put in front of me. I understand its a long process when you get assistance from the workforce program, but Ive been thru everything they asked of me since september, & the last classes I finished 3 weeks ago & havent heard squat. So I made it a point to go up there to the office, politely put my point across & sit until I received an answer one way or the other. After shuffling me around for almost 3 hrs the director of the facility came out & spoke with me. We sat down, I explained what was going on & he told me wait right here. Came back after about 20 mins handed me a paper with my start date & apologized for the lack of communication & waiting to hear from his staff. When I got out in the parking lot, I sat down in my car & cried . . Happy tears . . I thought "he!! yeah, I made it to school"

Just thought I would share . . . smile.gif

New record (for me anyways)

Way ta go Patrick !! You earned your $$ today dancing-dog.gif

I need help with a short girl problem

Problem I see is that you are training for stick. You could drive an automatic, of course, but would you want to? If you hate automatics, then you will be unhappy driving what your wife was trained to drive, if she got an automatic-only limitation on her license.

Is there a company that would hire just with the auto endorsement ?

Tanker question . .

You guys are just "awesome sauce" . . . thank you ! thank-you.gif

Tanker question . .

So Im cruising the VA state cdl test for tankers and run across a question about "cladding". What in the world? This is the 1st time of hearing about it let alone knowing what it is or what it does . . . . Help??

Game: Your very first truck!

90' Cabover freightshaker. Hated driving bobtail . . .

Fun time - "You're probably not cut out to be a trucker if..."

If you dont have or cant read a truckers atlas

Stupid Rookie Question - Comdata balance inquiry

Online Portal

If you activated your Comdata debit card through the online portal, then you should already be registered for an online account. On the Comdata login page, enter your username and password to access your account information. Your card balance and activity will be displayed on your account page.

Tip

Register for a Comdata account, if you have not done so yet, by choosing the “click here to register” link on the Comdata login page. The prompts will guide you through the registration process. You will need your debit card number and Social Security number to register.

Web addy for the login page: https://w6.iconnectdata.com/chth/Controller?XFunction=LoginPage just copy & paste

Hope this helps . . .

Anyone driving for Werner Help Please . . .

Well I think I needs ta add another company to look into . . . I was up to 3, eliminated 1 of them b/c they don't have a rider program. Sounds like they are working out well for you. If you don't mind I'd like to find out more about them as the website doesn't give you alot of details, heres my email semis_offerings@hotmail.com Just when you get time no rush.

And no you didn't mention your truck # . . lol rofl-1.gif

BTW your truck # is 1563 ?

Little frustrated

Way to go MC1371 . . BIG congrats on passing your test !!!!dancing-banana.gif

Anyone driving for Werner Help Please . . .

And no you didn't mention your truck # . . lol rofl-1.gif

CB handles

Hey Brett . . . Could you set something up on TT just for CB related posts? IE: getting CB handles for us newbies, edicate & how you SHOULD talk on there, maybe how to deal with some of the antenna or radio problems, swap CB stories, etc . . .

Anyone driving for Werner Help Please . . .

Each company sets up their QualComm with different tolerances. My company gives you 1/2 mile and 15mph. Exceed either one and you are placed on duty driving.

I regularly try to make it to a RCVR the night before my appointment. Then do my unload the next morning while I am off duty.

Thats what I would like to work out once I get out there Patrick. That way you can save your hrs. How does W O Holding treat ya BTW ?

Anyone driving for Werner Help Please . . .

Magick . . . Sorry my brain was kind of on overload last night, too much info but anywho. On the electronic logs: Is there a time delay on when they activate? I've been reading some turn on with a rotation of the wheels of the truck, some have a mile or so, etc. Say you park on site at a receiver but you're early for delivery & they're not open yet. When they do open, they assign you a door but wont be able to load you for another hr or so. Instead of starting your clock & waiting, burning your drive hrs, you back up to the dock & hop back in the bunk. Would there be a delay of when the log would start when you move the truck?

HOS: new 34 hr restart rule ?

Found a website (keeptrucking.com) & they're saying as of this year (2016) the 34 hr rule has changed.

Old Rule: Must include 2 periods between 1 & 5AM and cant use this rule but once every 168 hrs

New Rule: The 168 hr limit no longer applies, no longer need to have the 2 periods between 1 & 5AM and drivers can use the restart rule at any time.

Has anyone else hear about this ?