Profile For LDRSHIP

LDRSHIP's Info

Clarksville, TN

Experienced Driver

2 years, 6 months ago

LDRSHIP's Bio

I am an Army vet that served 17 1/2 years. In the military I was a UH-60 Blackhawk mechanic / crewchief. I am a licensed Master Barber in the state of Tennessee. Now I am a professional driver with H. O. Wolding.

Posted:  8 hours, 57 minutes ago

Moving while out of hours?

Good luck on your new adventure!

smile.gifgood-luck.gif

I still have a little time before it begins, but thank you. Not to keep highjacking this thread, I will post a thread, once it comes to pass.

Posted:  10 hours, 9 minutes ago

Moving while out of hours?

I hope that's a good move, but I have my reservations. I'm sure you know what you're doing, but sometimes it can really be a PITA at a small trucking company. It may suit you well, and of course I hope it does. Best of luck man!

I am fully aware of the PITA aspects. It will make me a better driver at a professional level. TBH, as small as he is, it will almost like being a lone truck operation. Just not with my own money. We are left to our own devices for the most part. Managing everything from routing, fuel stops, breakdowns, etc...

But, I gave him my word, so I will give it a chance. Worse comes to worse, I will just go back to Wolding, lol. Why I want to leave on good terms.

Posted:  10 hours, 26 minutes ago

Moving while out of hours?

Whoa.............l must have missed that thread. Where are you going and why? You have been a great advocate for Wolding.

I’m not gone yet, I will still always advocate for Wolding. There is a fellow vet that owns a small trucking company in Nashville. He has been trying to get me to work for him. He added 2 trucks at the beginning of this year and I kinda put him off. After he had drivers in both of those, I told him the next time he adds another truck I would come work for him. I was thinking it would be a hot minute before he added more trucks. He let me know a few days ago that next month he will be looking to add another truck. I am a man of my word. So once he gets another truck I will put my notice in at Wolding. That gives him a couple of weeks to get the truck ready and for me to leave on good terms with Wolding.

Posted:  10 hours, 41 minutes ago

Moving while out of hours?

They changed the personal conveyance law so that you CAN use it empty or loaded. Your company may have its own rules so obviously as them. I linked the faq and they answered it under #6.

I stand corrected. Drop off the grid for a year, and they change up things on me.

6 - May a driver use personal conveyance when they run out of available (driving/on-duty) hours?

No, except for the one exception described in the guidance where a driver who runs out of hours while at a shipper’s or receiver’s facility may drive from that facility to a nearby, safe location to park, provided that the driver allows adequate time to obtain rest in accordance with daily minimum off-duty periods under the Hours of Service rules before beginning to drive. Personal conveyance is those times where a driver is operating solely for a non-business purpose and cannot be used to extend the duty day.

Rick

See what happens when you take a hiatus from trucking. EVERYTHING changes on you. If you would of stayed gone a few more months, you would of come back to me no longer being at Wolding.

Posted:  10 hours, 44 minutes ago

New Truck

Where’s the chrome???

On the Wolding trucks, lol. Our New Cascadias have the Fridge, TV mount, etc... we have always had the air gauge for the drive air bags. That thing is a blessing. My suggestion Jamie, first time you get a heavy load and near a free scale that is trustworthy, try to max out your drives at 34k. Take a good look at your air bag pressure gauge. Try to memorize where the 34k is at. It isn’t exact, but will get you close. I love that bag pressure gauge.

Posted:  11 hours, 43 minutes ago

Moving while out of hours?

Check with your logs department. By law you can.

What Scott said. Move to a safe area, contact your log department.

Keep in mind - EVEN IF your company allows "personal conveyance" driving (AKA: Line 5), you cannot drive on Line 5 with a load on.

Rick

The law has changed Rick, you can now be laden and use PC.

Posted:  1 day, 10 hours ago

Chicago first time

Another notch on the belt Bruce!

Way to go!

smile.gif

Talking about belt notches, it has been six months since I started this odyssey and at my recent check up I’ve only gained 3 pounds. But that doesn’t help with the 20 I need to lose.

But that’s a whole ‘nother discussion.

It makes me nervous when you guys tell me that there are worse places to go to in Chicago. If I get another load there I might have to invoke my stop work authority! 😝

LOOP Recycling on 47th Ave is a fun one. Not a difficult back. Right off of 290 just on the other side of 294. Just nowhere to stage. Also have to back off the road. It is a major Thruway to one of the smaller intermodal yards. So you have trucks and cars trying to race by you while you are setting up to back. Btw, the Chicago intermodal Drivers have a screw loose. Give them an inch and they will try to put their tractor thru it.

Posted:  1 day, 20 hours ago

Chicago first time

Hey you made it through Chicago with out damage that always a good day.

I looked at a picture of the place you went and there are definitely far worse. Never been to them but have passed them and wonder how someone can back into.

Answer: very, very carefully!

Posted:  1 day, 20 hours ago

Paying Dues: Enduring "The Suck"

Tyler what was the name of the company that gave you a chance?

I am pretty sure he started at Carolina Cargo (C.C.)

Posted:  1 day, 20 hours ago

Chicago first time

That was the procedure for me also and that remote lot doesn’t have craters, they are small lakes after this winter. Lol

Hopefully the ride across the lot is a little smoother now. Seems like every year the pot holes get bigger and bigger.

Posted:  1 day, 21 hours ago

Chicago first time

The 2 doors furthest to the east side are the easiest to get in. The other 6 docks can be interesting. Not a lot of room. If it makes you feel any better, 48th place is one of the easier scrap places in Chicago to get into. There are a LOT worse ones. Trust me!!!

Posted:  1 day, 21 hours ago

Chicago first time

I have been there lots of times. We do a drop n hook there. Have to drop our trailer in a door, then drive thru a open dirt lot a block over to a small trucking companies area where they use their back lot as a drop yard. The dirt lot we cross is so cratered it feels like you are trying out for the next Baja race.

Posted:  1 day, 23 hours ago

Chicago first time

Sounds like waste management on 48th place, lol. Was this generally north or south of Chicago? There are a bunch of scrap places I have regularly gone to in Chicago. All of them are very interesting, lol

Posted:  2 days, 10 hours ago

Testing out to go solo

Thanks. Waiting for my truck to get the mirrors repaired and my first load to get back home

Just think, you are going to be all by your lonesome from now on.

Posted:  3 days ago

Testing out to go solo

What's so bad about PA?! Seems like everyone tries to avoid it haha

The crossed eyed drunk that paved all the roads. PA wouldn’t be bad if the roads were actually level.

Posted:  3 days ago

Testing out to go solo

I like the veteran sticker. A nice touch. Not sure if it was already there or f it was just for me.

It was already there. Sorry.

Posted:  3 days, 3 hours ago

Truck Home

Ive been to Knox a time or two. Mostly for aerial gunnery.

Posted:  3 days, 3 hours ago

Truck Home

A satellite image of my truck at the Walmart near my house. Apple maps shows it, google uses a different satellite image.

0757611001553112028.jpg

What is funny, almost no one ever parks in “my spot”. It is always left open. I come in, pull up next to the bus station, then do a blind side parallel park.

Posted:  3 days, 14 hours ago

Testing out to go solo

Congratulations driver. Welcome to the old man's club...

Lol

The driver I picked up found out Iwas a Marine (he was Army), and with a straight face asked if I had to turn in my musket when I got out.

I was laughing so hard I had to wait to start driving. Lol

You should of told him Jesus was your DI.

Posted:  4 days, 13 hours ago

Question about working for my father...

Welcome to the forum Cameron. I agree with what everybody has said. Get your feet wet at a larger carrier. Spend a couple years there. If you still want to take your father up on his offer after that than by all means. It is the responsible way of doing this. Rookies have accidents. It just is what it is. Why put your father in a financial bind. Learn to become a safe, efficient driver with a large carrier. The large carriers are better equipped to support a new driver.

Btw, here is our welcome packet.

Drive Safe and God Speed