Comments By LDRSHIP

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0717822001567823761-62984.jpg avatar
  • LDRSHIP
  • 3 years, 1 month ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  4 months ago

Truck safety group urges purges of drug abuse drivers

My point is not about an economics debate. It is merely the point of deregulation allowed anybody to start a trucking company if they wanted. I’m not saying that deregulation was a bad thing from an economic stand point. I’m just saying it set the stage for all the little trucking companies that are out here today. Now, the big guys need to find the next way to stamp out the competition. It is really that simple. I am not saying the big companies don’t deserve to be were they are at. They survived, thrived and took advantage of every opportunity they could. Now they can afford those tighter controls. They already know the tighter controls will make life difficult for the small guy. It just is what it is. My tune hasn’t and will not change.

Business is a ruthless endeavor. Either you are a shark or you get swallowed. The big companies are just trying to make sure they stay that way. All about survival of the fittest.

I will be perfectly honest, I don’t see the guy I am working for as making it. I really don’t. But, then again if he shut his doors today. I would be at orientation somewhere tomorrow. I’m not worried. I’m going to have a job. I’m going to get paid.

Posted:  4 months ago

Truck safety group urges purges of drug abuse drivers

I’m hung up on it; because, I believe it is true!! Deregulation brought the explosion of the owner op. Before deregulation happened you had ask Uncle Sam to be able to start a company. Uncle Sam told you what you could haul and what you could charge to haul said product. Companies saw dollar signs and wanted Uncle Sam to stop telling them what they could do. They got their wish. It had consequences. O/Os began flooding the market and instead of being able to raise how much was being charged to move freight; over competition happened. Freight rates went down in comparison to inflation. The very same companies that fought to get Uncle Sam out of their cookie jar, need Uncle Sam’s help to stamp out the competition.

Posted:  4 months ago

Truck safety group urges purges of drug abuse drivers

I said the exact same thing when I worked at Wolding. When we had a discussion on their stance with the ELD mandate.

As I said all along, they are trying to squeeze out small companies. I don’t personally care either way. I will have no problem being employed. The name on the top of my paycheck is irrelevant. Their ONLY concern is too fix their mistake from the 70s (deregulation). It was deregulation that opened the door the the onslaught of the O/O. Now the big companies want them gone. It is what it is. The Trucking Alliance can parade around claiming whatever they like. In the end there is only ONE goal.

As I stated earlier, it is irrelevant whose name is at the top of my pay check. Either way, I will have a job and get paid.

Call things as they are. Larger companies can afford even thrive with further regulation. They have numerous drivers, so loads can be relayed. With massive fleets of trucks the fuel savings from a governed speed actually helps their economics. Force further log monitoring so the little guy can’t cheat. However, everyone one of these mega companies was built on drivers being creative with their logbooks. It is all about squeezing out the competition any way possible. Since the large companies don’t even make up 10% of the industry, every little company they can force to fold is more business to fuel their further growth. The big companies know what needs done. They know what holes to plug. They were built by committing the exact same violations. I’m not mad about it, but to parade around and say safety is the reason is a load of BS. As I said, let’s call a spade a spade.

Take Anti-collision systems for an example. They are more of a danger than a protection. They are constantly messing up and causing heavy braking at such things as the shadow of an overpass or reflectors in turns. On-guard and all the other various anti collisions systems are just garbage pure and simple.

Posted:  4 months ago

Truck safety group urges purges of drug abuse drivers

Let’s cut to the chase, the ONLY thing the trucker Alliance is concerned with is doing everything in their power to make it impossible for small trucking companies to survive. Either by increasing vehicles costs or limiting earning potential.

I am sure many of those companies were probably involved with pushing for deregulation in the 70s. Now, they are pushing for more regulations since it didn’t work out the way they thought it would. They are just trying to fix their mess up and make it impossible for the little guy.

Let’s call a spade a spade.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

What can I put on the floor?

By a rug, a couple floor mats and a small bath mat and call it a day. A small rug to go across the area behind the seats in the “no shoe” area. Just simple floor mats for the driver and passenger sides to make clean up easy. And a bath mat for between the seats as a place to take off shoes. Plus since the bath mat has a rubberized bottom it will prevent wet shoes from soaking thru and dirtying up the floor underneath.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

10-speed vs. Everything else

Look the company up, they are all lease purchase. They are LEASING / LEASE PURCHASE Pete 579 Ultralofts with Cummins X15 engine and 18 spd Eaton Fuller Transmisions

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Imagine driving this beast

Here a link to an article about the Red Giant.

The Red Giant

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Imagine driving this beast

First thing I noticed was what appears to be an extra fuel tank behind the drives.... rofl-3.gif Probably cost's a weebit more to pull extra weight around ....

That is not the drives. That is a tag axle, lol. Just an extra axle to distribute the weight.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

How is it legal for company trucks to be governed at different speeds?

I am, for the most part, not governed. I set my cruise at 68. But if I am not in a hurry I will run 63. At 63 mph in the Coronado on flat ground I can get around 8mpg depending on how heavy the load. At 68mph I usually come in around 7.5 mpg. Funny thing is, if I run 70 the best I do is around 6.9 mpg. There is a BIG drop off in fuel economy once I pass 68 mph.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Grumpy Old Man

Also 88/290/90 section of interchanges kinda marks the “midway point”. That generally section is where inbound vs outbound direction changes. So in the morning you want to make that section by the time the rush starts. In the evening you want time getting to that point at the end of the rush. I generally use TA Chicago North (Russell Rd) and TA Gary as my “gateways”. Except if I am going on US-41, then I use Phil’s Truck stop as my southern point. I don’t pass one of those points unless I have enough time to make the point on the opposite side.

For example from TA Chicago North to 90/290/88 interchanges is roughly 30-45 mins without traffic. If you are heading south in the morning you want to leave Chicago North NLT 0600. Any later than that and you WILL get backed up traffic. If you leave TA Chicago North by 0530 you can usually stay hammer down the entire way thru on 294.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Grumpy Old Man

The worse parts of 294 are 90/290/88 interchanges. Getting thru is all about timing. In the morning from 0630-0930 is the heaviest. Lunch rush is 1100-1330 and evening rush is 1600-1900 except on Friday. Friday there is no break between lunch and evening rush. But evening rush tends to get done around 1800 on Friday.

294 will flow better then 94/90 downtown majority of the time. Only exception is between midnight and 0300. 94 is a ghost town during that time. While 294 still has traffic.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

How is it legal for company trucks to be governed at different speeds?

At Wolding trucks are initially set to 62 on the pedal and 63 on cruise. If you get great fuel economy, are a trainer, or one of the runners, your truck get s turned up to 63 on the pedal, 65 on cruise. There were a few trucks that were set to 65 on the pedal and 68 on cruise. They were experimenting with fuel economy to see how much difference it made. Some of the turned up trucks got forgotten about and never got turned back down. Kinda the luck of the draw.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

New Swift Driver Wanting to Switch

I personally do not use a truck GPS. Because even they will give you bad directions. Talk to the CRST driver that drove down the Atlantic City boardwalk.

I use my Atlas and Apple maps. But the most important things I use: my eyes and my brain. Apple maps is mainly for traffic alerts. I plan my route out using my Atlas, then I follow what my eyes tell me.

As far as axle weights go. Remember, slide your trailer tandems TOWARDS the problem. If you drives are overweight, slide your trailer tandems forward. If your trailer tandems are overweight, slide your trailer tandems rearward.

When it comes to sliding your 5th wheel, you move it AWAY from the problem.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Florida and Prime

“Move” to TN. It is a no income tax state as well. LoL

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Amputee.. on the road again

Congrats Forrest. Way to persevere!!!

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

A walk on the ‘Darkside’ - working for a small company

Wow, flashing back to my "paying my dues" first employment in this career. Bending space and time to accomplish unrealistic delivery schedules, 'creative writing' on the log books, an informal DVIR process and half-arsed repairs. Yep - BT-DT-GTT.

Just a reminder - if you use a mobile phone, GPS, or pass any license plate recognition equipped cameras or cop cars, there is a digital record of your Lat/Long/Time stamp. Should some blue-hair decide to drive under your trailer tandems and pass over the rainbow bridge, all of those electronics will get grabbed and used to convict you (worst case scenario) for Reckless Homicide.

LRDSHIP, I don't envy you for the position you find yourself in. Good luck to you.

With freight rates down and Boss man looking for something that pays decent, there isn’t too much bending of the space time continuum.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Companies that allow cats?

I’ve seen four small dogs, and two people, get out of a truck once, but seven cats?!?! Oh my!

There is a clever remark to be made here about CAT scans, but I'm going to refrain from posting it.

I think I'll leave that to PackRat or Tractor Man.

What’s wrong, Cat got your tongue?

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

A walk on the ‘Darkside’ - working for a small company

I do have health insurance thru the VA. But it only covers me. My wife is SOL right now.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Kerosene

Just in case anybody wonders why I memorized weights of fuel it is actual very simple. I spent 13 years in aviation. Quantity of fuel on board an aircraft is measured in lbs. a Sikorsky helicopter model 70 aka UH-60 Blackhawk, carries roughly 2,400 lbs of fuel on board when full. A Blackhawk has two181 gallon tanks with each tank having a one gallon sump that cannot be used. So you get 360 gallons of useable fuel. But to achieve that requires gravity fill. You get roughly 359 gallons of usable fuel when doing a pressure refuel (most common way to refuel) and 356 gallons of usable fuel doing closed circuit refueling.

And there ya have it folks. Now if you want to go over engine start procedures, join the military, lol.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Kerosene

You could always weigh it, lol. #2 Diesel weighs roughly 7.2 lbs / gal. Kerosene weighs roughly 6.8 lbs / gal.

Just to show an example JP-8 weighs roughly 6.7 lbs per gallon. JP-5 weighs 6.8 lbs per gallon and JP-4 (no longer used) weighed 6.4 lbs per gallon.

JetA (civilian jet fuel) roughly weighs 6.75 lbs per gal. JetB (civilian jet fuel) weighs 6.5 lbs per gallon. AVGAS weighs 6.0 lbs per gallon.

Now all weights are approximate. They can and do change dependent upon temperature, impurities, additives, etc...