Comments By King Pin

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0343256001510841468-63462.jpg avatar

Let's get to know each other....

I'm a Advocate! I some what agree.

Local jobs and age barriers.

Thanks for the advice Susan and Rob. I have 5 applications filled out and been over a month, haven't heard back. There on line applications with no phone contact info. Been wondering why I haven't received any calls.

Kingpin, I was hired as a "driver apprentice" for Performance Food Group. They sent to me to CDL school and paid to while there, and had a local food delivery job waiting for me upon successful completion of school. I have a diary in the training diary section if your interested on reading more about it. We have a guy out of out yard that's 60 years old still lumping groceries. As long as you're able to get the trailer unloaded without violating DOT. Laws you'll be golden. I also posted a video there that PFG had put together to give a look at what delivery driver job entails. Just know that your backing skills will definitely be tested.

Local jobs and age barriers.

With my company accidents are D.O.T. reportables. For company file/records 1non preventable, 1 preventable

My 1 yr. exp. is right around the corner. Dec. 16th. I'm 40 yrs. old and going to look for local positions. I have 0 accidents, 1 preventble,1 non preventable. My preventable shouldn't be but is. Tight space, trailer rubbed side of driver mirror with 0 damage just left little paint that wiped off easily. OTR isn't for me cause, I'm an active person and this job just isn't physical enough for me. My question is will my age have an impact on finding local work. My ideal job is unloading trailer, food delivery position. Appreciate all advice and none taken offensively.

Local jobs and age barriers.

New Avatar Image Uploads

Wow, that was easy! In the past I've tried countless times with 0 success. Bravo Bret!

Hey you guys, I think I've got it set up now so you can upload an image to use for your avatar instead of finding one from the web. Try it. Go to the main website menu and near the bottom click on "My Profile" and it will take you to your profile. Then click on the button at the top that says "Update My Profile" and you'll see a the button that says "Upload New Avatar" - try it.

Now I have an Android and an iPhone and with both of them it was very easy to select images from my photo gallery.

I'm going to be adding image uploads for comments here in the forum very soon also.

Give it a try and let me know how it goes!

smile.gif

Posted:  3 years ago

Long over due up date

Thanks O.S. I'll give it a whirl next time I'm early and see how things turn out. Keep everyone up to date on progress.

King Pin, do you remember what I stated earlier in this thread? Here's what I'm referencing...

Being safe and on time are piees of the puzzle, but initiative and creativity have got to find their way into your approach also.

Did you notice in Calkansan's response how he took the initiative and got creative with his own ideas. He went and looked at the bills on trailers at a drop yard and then started a dialogue on the Qualcomm so that he could keep himself moving. This is just the kind of stuff extraordinary drivers do every day that they are out here. I don't sit and wait for my dispatcher to come up with a way to get me moving. I am usually two or three days ahead of him in my thinking and I keep him appraised of where I will be and when I need my next load. Any time I have a load that has two days extra time on it I am on the phone directly with that customer. I can't tell you how many times I have had notes on the Qualcomm that say, "do not call this customer," and I call them anyway and get myself unloaded. Most of the time the customer appreciates that I took the initiative and helped them get there product quicker than it was scheduled.

I would never recommend that a brand new driver try this, but someone in your position who is getting a ridiculously low amount of work done because your waiting around on scheduled delivery times; I would say you have got to give it a try. I mean, what have you got to lose? You aren't happy with the way things are now. I say shake things up a bit. I can almost promise you that your dispatcher is going to appreciate your extra effort, and the results, regardless of whatever company policies to the contrary you have seen.

Let me tell you something about dispatchers. They are usually overworked. They have a lot of drivers on their board, and if they see that you are under a load and not late on the appointment, then they may not be too worried about you. In other words, you are the last thing on their mind. They have plenty of other pressing concerns. I make every attempt to be on the top of my dispatchers mind - in a good way, that is. I want him always looking out for me, and one effective way to do that is to establish yourself as always getting things done ahead of time.

Let me try to make this clear... These dispatchers have got managers over them - there are layers of management at these trucking companies, and everybody's job is getting measured - everybody's job is performance based, not just the driver. If you are not showing up as late on your deliveries then nobody is really catching on to the fact that you are sitting too much. Just try this: get one of those loads that you think you are not supposed to change the appointments on delivered early, and then be sitting on his computer screen as empty, waiting for a load. Now you are being noticed on everybody's radar, including the managers who are trying to make sure your dispatcher is doing his job. Nobody wants an empty truck just sitting around waiting on a load when there are loads available that need to be delivered. If you can get an appointment moved forward, then just send your dispatcher a message stating the time that you will be empty. Send him an ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival call) and a PTA (Projected Time of Availability) Then take care of your business - you don't even need to tell him what you did, just do it. See how it all pans out. You are going to discover that this is the way the pros do it, and they never have to worry about getting fired for being the most productive members on the team.

Posted:  3 years ago

Long over due up date

Company policy is drivers are forbidden to reschedule loads. Asked in the past for my DM to reschedule my appoints because I'm mostly ahead of schedule, if been told that policy is no rescheduling. Most loads have more time than needed to get to destination. Example 640 mile load dispatch, do in three days. Can't drop off or reschule. There is lots of sitting and wasted time.

Had my 6 month review and was told my log book, time management, safety record is superb. I received a $.01 raise. I asked if there's anything I can approve on and was told no and my track record is very impressive. Also, ask my DM time to time what can I approve on? He always says," your doing very well keep up the good work".

I take the advice you and Old School gives to new driver's on being more efficient and more productive, however, there policies seem to be differently than TT members describe how there company is. I get along with my DM. I'm still trying to figure out how to get miles without being a complainer or roughing any feathers. Oh ya, forgot to mention I do at least 9 resets a month do to waiting for dispatches. Maybe transferring to different terminal or DM might be my only hope. Under $2000 a month gross, just isn't worth it to me. I have taken 7 days off in almost 9 months. I know my performance and attendance is great. In turmoil on what to do.

Driver's aren't allowed to reschedule appointments.

The miles are there. They're available. You're just not getting your share. You have to be more convincing.

Here's another thing. The load planners assign freight but your dispatcher is responsible for making sure you're being taken care of. If you're not getting the miles you deserve it's up to your dispatcher to get with the load planners to get you better freight. If your dispatcher is telling you there's nothing he/she can do then you let them know you're going to make some phone calls to those with the authority to do something about it - and do it. Make those calls. Get your dispatcher's boss on the phone. Get the operations manager on the phone, or the terminal manager. Keep making phone calls and keep asking:

"Why am I not getting the miles I deserve? I've proven I can handle 3,000 miles per week and I know they're available so why am I not getting them? What do I have to do to get 3,000 miles per week? I know other drivers at our company are getting that many. I know drivers at other companies are getting that many. What is being done to make sure I get that many from now on?"

But remember, this all hinges on you doing your job at a Top Tier Level. You have to have the hours available on your clock and you have to make all of your appointments on time without exception.

Posted:  3 years ago

Long over due up date

Been with May Trucking for 9 month's, is my first company in this industry. May has treated me very well and taught me many new skills. I recommend May to any new driver beginning there career.

Little on how May's operation works. Planner's assign dispatches to driver's, not there DM's. Your given routings and directions to shippers and receivers, most follow them. Driver's aren't allowed to reschedule appointments. Fuel stops are assigned to you by your DM.

May truck's are very well maintained and less than 3 yrs old. Trailers are maintained well too. All truck's are automatic with inverter's, no APU's. There's only two divisions, 11 western, OTR "48 state's". Truck's are governed 61 mph cruise control and 59 mph pedal.

Been busy proving myself to my company that I'm a top tier driver. Never been late on an appointment, don't complain about nothing. I'm accident free, no S.O.H. violations. It's been a long hard road however, I've climbed the ladder and I'm known as a "top tier driver".

I realy like my company but, getting discouraged about my miles and pay. First 5 month's was great than slowly been going down hill from there. Checks are $215-$360 a wk. Talked to my DM about it, haven't seen any difference. Average 900- 2000 wkly @ .36 a mile.

Been thinking about looking elsewhere for higher pay scale. Hesitate because my goal is to stay at least 1 yr. Any advice is much appreciated.

How big was your truck driving class?

Small CDL school of 6 people. Mid term 2 quit, during finals 2 more dropped out. Graduation was 2 people. Went to orientation at May Trucking, class of 16. End of orientation before going out with mentor, 7 propped out. 11 went out for training and only 4 got to solo out.

Game: describe your first solo load experience

Payette, ID is where I picked up my truck in Dec. 28th, 2017. 2 ft. snow and -19 temp. Preplain take load to consigned 5 miles from terminal. 15 minutes away.

So nervous, it took me 2 hrs to get there. Got there right at closing time. Boy was there some mad employees. They gave me the third degree.

My 5 mile away dispatch turned into a 45 mile adventure. Went wrong way, got lost, stuck, almost took out telephone post. Slid down an hill, ran over a poor inasent snowman in someone's front yard. Oh, 2 hrs late for appointment. However, made it there safely and not a scratch or dent in my truck.rofl-2.gif

Game: Vent and Brag About Life On the Road

Brag: Started career 45 days ago accident free. First load Payette ID. 2ft a snow. I've been in freezing rain, black ice, 60 mph wind storms, blizzards. I've been running west to east cost with the steepest down grades in icy conditions. Seen multiple accidents a few deaths. Seen lots in my short times out here. My run average 2200 miles wkly.

Rant: Mother Nature and Murphy's Law hasn't been very nice to me and wish they would find someone else to pick on.

Getting eyeglasses/contacts OTR

Message is for you Rainy. I think you will look good with glasses.😉

And if you don't have a valid script but you know what your prescription is you can order from Canada cheaper (contacts)

I didn't know that. I've had the same prescription for about 20 years now and my eye exams always expire after a year and I was told no one would fill the prescription after that. So anytime I get an eye exam I buy two or three years worth of lenses and get a new exam after I use them all up. I've always thought there had to be a way to buy lenses without a prescription but I never really looked into it.

How seriously do you take health when trucking?

I use a steamer and skillet to cook my food. I don't eat out and eat clean. Eat Foods with only 1 ingredient in it. Like apple only has 1 etc.ect. I walk before during and after my day of driving. That will keep the weight off for sure.

Do you try to eat healthy when you're on the road? Do you set aside 30 minutes to an hour a day to take a walk or jog when your wheels aren't turning?

Getting eyeglasses/contacts OTR

Your 1 hot cookie, can't wait to see you with them on. dancing-dog.gif

Best way to start a trucking career after a suspended license

You need to call some companies and get pre-hire letter's. That is going to determine if you're hireable. I have experienced that the most want 3-5 yrs clean driving record. Hope that helps.

Ok so i had a car wreck about 10 years ago. My license was suspended until i recently got it back. I want to get in to truck driving and start making a better life for my family. I haven't had any tickets in 5 years and i dont have to carry SR- 22 on my insurance. Is there anyway for to go to school and start driving soon or do i have to wait? Or are there some companies out there that would be willing to work with me?

Looking for a great GPS $400-$500

I have the Rand Mcnally 730. I have no complaints about it.

I had a Rand McNally TND tablet but the touch screen didnt work and I am sending it back. Reviews on this one are not great.

What personal GPS are you using?

A must have would be a real ETA time based on speed and not what Google says the speed limit is.

Maps that dont take me bogus routes would also be helpful.

Thanks!

I appreciate your dedication and passion for trucking and helping out new drivers. I'm less than a month into my career and your broadcast is dead on.thank-you.gif

It's been real challenging out here. I've been out here for 3 weeks now and have been lost, stressed, exhausted. My first load was in -19 degree weather,1ft. of snow on steep downgrades. I thought for sure I was going to kill myself and others.

About a week ago I almost quit due to this job being so demanding and frustrating being a rookie driver. Being headstrong is what has kept me out here. I could write a book on my adventures in my short 3 weeks. I just want to keep this short. Just wanted to say thank you for your dedication and passion for us drivers and for the trucking industry.

Game: who is where today?

Ohio I -71 pilot taking my 34.

Past my solo test today

dancing.gifdancing.gifdancing.gif https://www.truckingtruth.com/truckers-forum/includes/smileys/dancing.gif Congrads! Hope you succeed. It's not easy but it's well worth the hard work.

Past solo test part 2

Refer division is what I sign up for and was assigned an mentor with a local Dedicated Route/Yard Hostler. He is a great trainer and passionate about his job. The guy has more patience than words can explain. (more than I had) I thought he was going to kick me off his truck several times during my wonderful nerve wrecking training days. In the end we turned out to be friends and was told to keep in touch and he is here for me any time I need some advise/help. Week1: My journey begins driving in Seattle, WA. heavy traffic and crazy drivers. Can't keep the trailer in my lane, cars honking there horns, giving me the middle finger. Stress level is off the chart range, heart pounding, sweet rolling down my face. Had to pull over and let my mentor take over. Later in the day, I'm driving on the Interstate same problem, trailer in the other lane. Almost caused three car accidents all in just day #1. Man, was I glad to get that day over with! Sunday's he is a Yard Hostler and I was able to get some backing practice in. Well I backed into a trailer very luck I barely touched it with out doing in damage. Almost backed into a 2017 super extended semi less than an inch from it. Jack knifed my mentors truck, near misses with some trailers at the docks. My first week sucked, multiple near accidents, backing is so horrible I can't back into a spot if it was 12' wide. (lmao) Can't seem to get a grip on nervousness, backing and keeping trailer in my lane. During the week I told my mentor a few times I wanted to go home. He would tell me to go for a walk, relax and think about it. After letting some steam off, back into the truck and off to some more training I go. Week2: Started the week out Hosteling, didn't feel my backing was getting any better. Drivers waiting to be loaded are laughing at my backing. I guess I put on a good comedy show for them . However, I didn't have any near accidents that day. Monday we headed to a shippers to pick up a load. I pulled into the exit gate instead or the entrance side, security screaming at me thinking to myself is it going to be like this in the future! Through out the week I'm making a lot of mistakes, can't seem to get the system down. I finally had enough around mid week told my trainer if I don't see any improvement by the end of the week I'm going home. Week3: During my 34 hr break I read my reply's on TT and took that advise. Sunday as I was hosteling, the drivers who were laughing at me the previous wks wasn't laughing today. Blew my mentors mind and said," I'm shocked". Through out the week I've learned how to relax and not be so tense. Controlling my trailer has improved. I no longer drive like a drunk driver. I have more confidence in myself. I still get nervous but not nearly as bad as I was. Learned to deal with the cry babies at the fuel pumps. I've had a few encounters with impatient truckers at the pumps, blowing there air horns, belly aching that I'm taking too long getting fuel. In my few weeks of training, I have learned that this industry can make you or brake you. It will chew you up and spit you out. Not many make it to training stage and I feel lucky to endure to this point. Between school and orientation about 70% drop out. My orientation class of 15 only 2 of us made it. 3 walked out during orientation 10 walked off the truck during training. With out TT family I would have been one of them too.