Profile For Yosemite Sam

Yosemite Sam's Info

Born and raised in Brooklyn,NY. RESIDE IN Olmsted Township, OH

Rookie Solo Driver

1 year, 9 months ago

Yosemite Sam's Bio

Just graduated CDL school (ROADMASTERS- Richfield,OH)--9/29/2016. Begin my orientation with MAY Trucking tues 10/04/2016. Began a new chapter in my life started the CDL and wanted to become a professional truck driver. Set up the goal for myself and achieved it all on my own with the support of true friends not so much family. I'm glad that I made this choice and look forward to seeing and learning new things in this industry that will set my future bright as diamond. God willing !!

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

CB radios ???

How's everyone doing?? Haven't checked in a while. Been busy learning the ropes. Upgraded to solo driver now for a few months in my own company truck loving the road except when it snows. Lol! So my ??? I'm sure has been asked again and again but I'm dropping this load tomorrow and will be by a company yard and would like to finally have my CB RADIO installed. I'm going with the cobra 25 ltd classic. Just wondering what all do I really need to buy along with the actual radio and mic as far as antennas and cable and everything else that is needed for a cb just want it to get great reception and people clearly hear me and I hear them. I know everyone is busy doing there thing but any advice will greatly help dnt want to buy things I won't really need. Have until Monday as the shop is closed Sunday. Hope to hear from anyone Thanks again TT members

Posted:  1 year, 7 months ago

May trucking starting orientation 10/4/2016

What's going on Eric Great! It's had its ups and downs but overall great! I was training with a trainer for bout 4 weeks would have finished in 3 but his truck was sent to the shop and we sat for 4 days that held me back a bit. Did my solo test out in Phoenix trainer went on his home time. Been solo for few weeks now I'm on my 5th run already. Training is good. Company is good. Dnt really have any bad things to say. Anything u want to ask in particular??

Iam looking into mays trucking . How's your experience going with them

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Probably asked a,thousand times.

You are right as they must have a valid CDL in order to accompany the permit holder taking his test. When I took my test the tester who was also the owner of the atlas testing site. Never drove a truck a day in his life he said. Just wanted to help Kevin to calm Himself before his test

Yosemite Sam wrote in response to the CDL exams:

Just think of it as a demonstration rather than a test. U are demonstrating to the tester what is done while pre tripping doing ur backing and finally ur road test. The tester probably never drove a truck in his or her life. Everyone is nervous just try to take a deep breath and show the tester what u got.

Sam...the "tester" must hold a valid and active CDL, they are accompanying a CDL permit holder on public roads and highways. At least the ones I have met and know, they are all former truckers.

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Probably asked a,thousand times.

I am scheduled for my state exam at school on Tuesday at 1:30. I asked for a few more days to practice pretrip and airbrakes but he said I had six months to prepare so Tuesday it is. I said I'd come in on Monday to practice airbrakes and pretrip. He said I'm not allowed to. I would not recommend this place to anyone. Very strange operation. So how did all of you prepare mentally to keep your nerves in check?

May trucking starting orientation 10/4/2016

We reach our destination. Safe and sound! Dropped our trailer, did our VIR and our macros for tractor and trailer. Called it a night. Now another bad day would come into play. Inspecting my trainers truck found a leak in motor somewhere need to get his truck to freightliner cause the truck still has a warranty. Now we sitting in this hotel sharing a room until the truck is repaired. I'm just mad cause this is time I could be out there learning new things. But it is what it is. Have to wait til the truck is ready. Until then. Stay safe!!

May trucking starting orientation 10/4/2016

We headed out bout 5 am the following morning. This load we got was going to Milwaukee OR. TWO DAY TRIP. 1246 miles. I began each morning driving until our lunch. Felt great going thru different roads and conditions learning what to look for and expect. I drove thru cabbage mountain. That was a bit crazy climbing up all those mountains to eventually come down into a bunch of fog could barely see anything but made it down safely. Drove thru all them crazy turns going up the mountains. Definitely used that name brake. Made coming down much easier. We got redirect to the brooks Oregon yard because my trainer had a maintenance appointment

May trucking starting orientation 10/4/2016

Haven't checked in a while. Still doing my training. Been learning a lot of ups and downs that come with the territory. After our problematic load that was being delivery to anheusher Busch in Denver. We did a 34 hour reset and finally got a pre trip. We headed out bout 8:30 am pick up was only 10 minutes from the yard. Got to the shipper at 9:30. Pickup time was at 10 am. We sat there until bout 18:00 til we got a door and they finally loaded us. We stayed parked at the shipper no reason to move only had 2 hrs left on our day.

Kind of confused

Not sure how the school operates but I can tell them u not ready to test out yet and u want more practice. You paid for school. So they shouldn't have any objections. If they do like how my school did (ROADMASTERS). They only pay for your first test out then u must pay after that each time. If u want to take the test on your own. I believe most test sites allow u to pay them to use there trucks but they may have a double axle as well call and check up.

Quick fix for refrigerator break down! ASAP

Hey everyone Thanks for all ur replies as to my trainers situation with his refrigerator and freezer. So lucky we dropped our load off in university park IL and we're on 20 mins out from out Gary IN terminal. He was allowed to go there and remove his refrigerator from truck and place all his meats in the freezer at the company terminal. He did have warranty and has a new one on the way. Being shipped out to the brooks terminal in Oregon. We should be heading that way in next feed days. Currently at our Denver terminal waiting for a load. Thanks again

Since we're going on a 3-day old thread here - the meat has probably already been eaten or gone bad.

So Sammy - what did the final outcome on the problem end up being?

BTW - Dometic is one of the top manufacturers of mobile refrigeration & A/C solutions for decades. I think my '72 VW Camper had a Dometic refrigerator in it. Chances are the OEM refrig is Sam's truck - is a Dometic.

Rick

MAY TRUCKING

Hey James How are you doing. Just wondering what stage are in u at MTC. Still training or did u solo out already. I'm with MTC as well in my first week of training OTR. currently at Denver terminal waiting on a load. Hit me up ✌🏻️

Been with May now since June I must say a great company love it

May trucking starting orientation 10/4/2016

Hey Chris Haven't seen any of his videos. MTC is a great company dnt have any complaints. Been in training a week so far. Also I'm not the complainer type. There are going to be things u might not like during your job when doing them but it's really not the companies fault. I haven't update my journal. But today's load we arrived at anheuiser Busch in Aurora, CO. at 5:50 delivery was at 6. Park at dock and its wasn't u til 11:30 that someone from company came and told us that the load need to be reworked some of it had shifted. Man was we stressing after that. Nothing fell over the pallets had cases of beer on them bout 26 pallets. But half of each pallets was on a bit of a lean. It's wasn't MTC fault can't be mad at them. This was a repowered load by the way. So we brought to company yard was gonna rework it with few other drivers. But the safety personnel here said to just fill out a macro that it was a damaged load. Things u will go through while being a driver but it's outta ur hands just gotta roll with the punches. Good luck with everything !✌🏻️

Glad to hear of your experience with May, Sam. They are one of the companies I am looking at after I get my CDL here in a couple of weeks. Search Youtube for The Red Head. He works for May and has given a pretty good impression of the company, which got me interested in them. Anxious to hear if your continued experience with them is the same as his.

Cheers.

Lee

May trucking starting orientation 10/4/2016

Hey G-Town Thanks for your advice. Really appreciate it. My trainer is definitely taking care of business. I dnt do backing everyday but as u suggested every other day. Been stoping at company yards lately so I have been practicing more there when I have a bit of time

Hey Sam, been reading your diary...good stuff so far.

One thing I want to point out, you need to be your own advocate when it comes to backing practice. I would not recommend going more than one day without at least one attempt. We have seen so many times a new driver being turned loose to solo status with only a handful of backing attempts during road training. This woefully prepares them to be an efficient professional driver. Although once solo you will be spending the better part of a year learning your craft, try to get you trainer to focus some time, at a minimum every other day, on backing.

To put this into perspective...the first year of my solo driving career I backed my truck over 1000 times. Granted that seemingly high number is a reflection of a Dedicated Account assignment delivering to Walmart Stores and SAMs' Club, point is eventually a new driver needs to be at least average at this skill. Once solo, the better you are at backing, the less stress you will endure plus you won't be wasting valuable drive time struggling with the basics. Influence him do his job and help you with backing. You'll thank me in about 3 months. smile.gif

Good luck!

Quick fix for refrigerator break down! ASAP

Thanks Kurt and Sue I will see if my trainer will try your ideas. Wish there was more I can do to help me.

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Private trucking school cost and contract questions

How u doing L So I don't know anything about the school ur inquiring about. But did notice your in Ohio. I attended Roadmasters in Richfield OH. They have other locations in OH not sure which is closest to you. They school is a great school. They have day and evening classes as well. Three week course 160 hr they set u up with plenty of choices for companies. Some of which u mentioned. Like Sue stated u will have to get ur experience so most companies have u begin OTR. Its not necessarily a bad thing. I don't know ur family situation. And that maybe why u would like to be home everyday. As for myself I'm married with two young girls and just started my training with my mentor on 10/22/16. It will be tough being apart from family but is a sacrifice needed to be made in order to accomplish what I'm trying to do. Plenty of companies to choose from and all have variations as to home time but the standard is 7 days out 1 day off. Just my opinion it wouldn't be suitable to go home for the one day after u worked 7 because u will barely see ur family before u getcomfortable being home ur heading out again. Good luck with ur pursuit and good luck. Definitely do ur research there's a lot of info on companies on this site. Go through them and see which best fits your needs. ✌🏻️

Quick fix for refrigerator break down! ASAP

Hey everybody! (Sideshow bob voice ) LOL So my trainers refrigerator broke down on him few hours ago. He is totally bummed out as anyone would be. Just wondering if anyone has some ideas or solutions as to what he can do. Not so much worried about stuff in refrigerator mostly drinks water juice pop. But want to try and salvage all the meat he has in his freezer. Don't want it all to spoil. I tried to tell him but a cooler and just put it on ice for the meantime. But he's pretty bummed and doesn't really think that will help. Thanks to anyone who might suggest something. ✌🏻️

May trucking starting orientation 10/4/2016

Day 2 training Today was an easy day other than 2 problems we ran into. Reach pontoon beach IL around 7:30 am. We filled up on fuel, DEF and refer fuel. Parked and just kicked back. Load wasn't due until Monday at 8:30. Wish my trainer had let me back into parking spot. I'm sure I will get my fair share of backing soon enough. We were parked all day and around 18:00 the mgr from flying J comes to our truck saying we're parked in a handicapped spot. But there are no signs nor marking indicating this. They forced us to move. The lot was getting full but still had a few spots available. Trainer picked a spot and began backing in was very tight trucks on both sides and it was more of an alley dock u can say but not quite a 90 degree angle with the way he setup. After proceeding to back the mgr approached us again. Apologizing to us saying we're right it was handicapped and told us we can park we're every we liked. After that got a msg over the QC saying we was dealing loads with another MTC driver because she couldn't make her appt time. She finally reached us and we swapped trailers. Learned a few more things on the WC today and how to perform a live loaded call. Our load is due at 07:15 Monday. We will be heading out around 02:00 should get there by 06:00-0615. We have 256 miles to cover. Hopefully I get some more drive time. Trainer is bummed out his refrigerator stopped working and now all his meats in freezer are going to waste. I hope he cheers up by the morning.

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

May trucking starting orientation 10/4/2016

Day one of training After checking out from hotel (11 am) outta Nashville TN. Got picked up and taken to MTC yard. Trainer showed up around 2 pm. We picked up our load from yard and headed out. Trainer drive bout first 1 1/2 and then I took over the driving. Felt a bit rusty. Trainer drives a 13-speed. Had to learn few new things with the high and low switch. Have to get my downshifting better with this 13 speed. It's way different from what I learned in school on a 10-speed. I drive for about 4 hours covering 182 miles. We stopped in Mount Veron IL at pilot and shut it down for the night. Got to take a shower 🚿 first time at a fuel stop. Was. Wetter than what I was expecting. Pretty clean facility no complaints. Grabbed me something to eat and am now relaxing in my bunk. Got an early morning tomorrow heading out round 5:30 but it is a short day as we only need 97 to reach drop but our load not do until 8:30 Monday. So we will be watching them football 🏈 games tomorrow. First day training went well. I did stall on the exit ramp as it was an uphill exit and was letting up off the clutch to quickly. Overall I think I did well. Did t hit anything or anyone. Until tomorrow ✌🏻

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

May trucking starting orientation 10/4/2016

So I shipped out today on my way to NASHVILLE TN. Currently in Cincinnati OH have a 2 hour layover bummer. Spoke with my mentor today. Got some great news from him. He driving a 13-speed. I'm so glad to be able to learn with a manual. Initially when in orientation and doing road test and back in Gary IN they had all automatics. Nothing wrong with them but want to expand my experience with a manual for sure. I will be getting in really late around 1:55. Tomorrow will be the beginning of the hands on stage can't wait.

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

My company is great.

So with you putting the tractor on a 90 degree helped u obviously G-Town. Can u elaborate a bit as to the reasoning behind it. Sorry if the ? Sounds dumb just want to understand ?

Highway 395 through Northern California,...south of Bishop. About 4 years ago, while I was still OTR, 60 mile per hour sustained cross winds. Watched 4 trucks get rolled within 1 mile stretch of road. I stopped on the side, pulled off as far as I could, turned the tractor at a 90' angle to the trailer, pointed into the head wind. The wind was blowing so hard, the dirt was getting through the door gaskets. Even with 45000 lbs of paper the truck pitched like a ship in a storm.

The State Police checked on me twice that night and told me to stay put and they'd come by to give me a green light when conditions improved. Only time I was really scared in a truck.

Give me snow or rain or sleet, even fog,...sustained high wind is the worst.

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Voting.

Since ur state doesn't allow early voting. I believe there is another way to vote but honestly forgot the technical term for it. There it goes absentee ballot voting for someone whom is away from home. Check into it

Heh adding my state might help. I live in Alabama, and I this state doesn't do early voting so I can't just go down and vote before I leave.