Comments By Yosemite Sam

https://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t106/spartus301/sam1224081418.gif avatar

Who will give me A chance

With speeding tickets it all depends on how fast u were going over the limit. I had two speeding tickets when I was applying to companies. They all asked me how fast I was going over the limit. With having these tickets on ur record u have cut down on number of companies that will talk to you but there are still plenty out there. Honestly I don't think it will hurt to apply to as many as you want. They turn u down on to the next one.

Tractor Pull Goes Pearshaped: JACKED UP PULLING SEMI ENGINE EXPLOSION BOWLING GREEN OHIO

That was crazy man. Not an expert on trucks yet. But I would think if ur truck is shooting out that thick black smoke something is wrong. His entire engine don jumped out in front unbelievable 😳😳

This is completely unrelated to starting out over the road, or anything over the road.

JACKED UP PULLING SEMI ENGINE EXPLOSION BOWLING GREEN OHIO

Passed my road test!

Congrats man!! Bet u are relieved !! It's a crazy feeling after u finish testing knowing u passed. Do you know what company u will begin with?

Tomorrow is my road test!

Good luck with your test. Don't be nervous. It's easy said than done but it will help u when driving. If ur coming to a stop sign or red light u shouldn't bother to down shift just so u don't mess up and can't get it in gear and u lose points for coasting. Also don't forget if u not downshifting when coming to a light or stop sign and u reach a complete stop don't forget to put ur ranger back down to the low side. That how I failed my first road test and eventually stalled out. Ask ur tester how many times u need to downshift for him to satisfy him or her. Ask them all the ?? U want answeres to before beginning to drive. Just breath and u will be okay. Good luck 👍🏻

4 day with out a shower

Just curious what is diamond status and shower power mean. Are those top notch places u can shower?

Wow, that sucks. My trainer said he makes all his students take one at LEAST every other day or they are off his truck. I take one almost every day. I try to stop at a loves(diamond status) or flying j (shower power) for my 30 min. DOT crap and take one.

My old trainer just posted this on FB

OS thanks man. I will figure it out may be rough in the beginning but I'm sure I will learn to do it. I worked night shift at a gas station for 10 yrs. would get home at 8 am and have to go to sleep. Sun was out and everyone in the neighborhood was going to school, work whatever. Another question? Worst case scenario u going to take ur ten hr break and can't fall asleep. Is it okay to take certain things that help u sleep easily. Say like some Advil pm or drink some ZQuil. Just wondering are they ok

Yosemite Sam, I think this is a learned behavior. My wife asks me all the time, "How do you make yourself go to sleep like that?"

If I'm at a place that I can tell is going to take a while I will lay down and sleep for a few hours. Somehow the mind takes over and tells the body, "Hey we've got to rest now because we're gonna be called on later to make this happen." For me it is learned, but it is sort of a survival instinct behavior.

My old trainer just posted this on FB

U experienced it first hand. Not sure what u will say to his FM but maybe give them a hint to keep an eye on him. Cause if u come out the wrong way to his FM maybe they will look at u like u are the "outlaw trucker" now

So he basically just snitched on himeself that he is driving in an unsafe manor correct? Being up all day and then driving at night. Why? Guess he feels like he is superman.

Yeah I guess so.

All right. I was tired and shutting down for the night when I posted this last night. My trainer's post really rubbed me the wrong way, but I get cranky when I'm tired so I slept on it. I'm still irritated. LOL.

The reason this bothers me so much is that I spent two weeks 24/7 with this guy, so I know when he says he was up all day and drove all night, he was probably literally nodding off in the driver's seat going 67 mph in his lease truck. What bothers me is the fact that it doesn't seem to bother him. This is the same guy who texted while he was driving and, when I confronted him about it, said verbatim, "You'll learn to multi-task." This is the same guy who could barely keep his eyes open driving down mountain grades in the snow after being up all day in the passenger seat, but didn't stop til we got there. The same guy who drove on my logs sometimes because he didn't want to start his clock so he could drive later, and then proudly told me he's an "outlaw trucker."

The reason I don't just message him and confront him about it is that it will do no good. He doesn't listen. And the reason I never reported all this stuff is that I had no proof and feared losing my job before I even finished training.

Sorry for the long post. I decided I'm going to give his old driver leader a call and ask him what to do. To me, this is not just a dumb fb post. This is a problem that has been going on for a while and needs to stop before he hurts somebody.

Wil-Trans CDL Training

Glad to hear u enjoying the new career. Downshifting was tough on me when I began to learn it. Some people go according to the speed some to the tachometer. When I was in CDL school my teacher Doug taught me to go with the speed to. Whom with as u become a more experienced driver u will feel it and start to go off ur tachometer. U got to be at the right speed in order to be able to downshift correctly. Although experienced drivers will say I'm wrong. For new drivers like myself I will stick to this method because I'm comfortable with it. Be safe OTR. You will eventually get the hang of it ✌🏼️

Hello all

I'm in week 3 of CDL training at Wil-Trans. I am brand spanking new to Trucking. I'm 47 and spent 28 years in EMS. While I love being a Paramedic it was time for a change.

I have nothing but good to say about Wil-Trans. From the very first contact with my recruiter, Adam, through classroom training with Kem & Justin. I lucked out with my Trainer Jody! He is experienced and an amazing teacher & coach.

I have to admit that I was extremely nervous as I hit the road for the first time hauling my first load.

While I've improved in a lot of areas, I am struggling with consistently down shifting efficiently. I know I will get better and I get frustrated some with myself at times (I'm always the hardest on myself).

I have learned so much from reading the posts on here, the emails with tips & articles. The training section on here is AMAZING!!!

I look forward to continuing to learn more & hopefully become better everyday.

Thanks to everyone on here for the good tips & advice posted on so many topics

👍🏻

My old trainer just posted this on FB

Just wondering what tips you may have as to when times like these arise and us being the drivers know it's best to get some sleep so we can be well rested for when it's time to drive. But how do u make yourself get some sleep if your body doesn't want to go to sleep ? Do you try to count sheep 🐑? Or do some excercise to make yourself 😴. Just wondering?? I know u got some good advice OS. THANKS in advance

Your old trainer's name wasn't Abe was it?

Paul, it seems to me that folks who do this for their living would learn pretty quickly that in certain situations you've got to make yourself grab some sleep some times. Our schedules can be crazyily grueling at times, and experience ought to teach us that our survival and success require that we sleep at unusual intervals. It is just part of being a professional.

My old trainer just posted this on FB

The Life, Death, and Resurrection Of My Truck Driving Career

Want to thank u PC for your story. Glad to hear you that nothing serious happened to you and glad you were given a 2nd chance. your story has taught me that safety is the key. Great to hear u are now feeling more comfortable driving after ur incident. Didn't really know how someone would feel after going through an experience like yours. You have shown me to never give up even after such a life changing experience. Thanks 🙏🏻 stay safe!

May trucking starting orientation 10/4/2016

Just a quick update. My FM called me today saying that I will be going to Nashville TN on Friday. Leaving Ohio round 11 am should get there around 1 am. Got a long bus ride ahead of me. So ready to get started feel like screaming just to get all this excitement outta me lol.

May trucking starting orientation 10/4/2016

Thanks G-Town

All the best Sam. Be safe.

H.O. Wolding

Great blog Patrick ! Read it all. A bit jealous 😒 I can honestly say. I've been home for a week waiting on a mentor to become available and today was my lucky day as I found out I will be shipped out this week. Good luck with the rest of ur training! Drive safe ! ✌🏼️

I'm unsure about this question.

Hey Lyght Like G-Town stated ur not alone. This happens a lot. when I went to take my CDL permit test I used the headphones when taking the test so I can have the questions read to me. Then I would read the question to myself after hearing it. Take your time no need to rush. There are definitely plenty of questions worded in strange ways that make u think again and again. Worst case scenario u can skip the question and leave it til the end when it comes back around at the end. Good luck with your test.

Never mind. I feel stupid now. I missed "except" I would delete the post if I could.

May trucking starting orientation 10/4/2016

Just got some great news this afternoon from my FM. I will. E heading out this week with my mentor. OMG 😲! My mentor is coming off of home 🏡 time in NY. I will get the full details tomorrow tues 10/18/16. He hasn't gotten his load assignment yet so not sure exactly what day he will be by me to pick me up. Wow! what a feeling of relief. I thought I was gonna be sitting around the house for another week. So excited to get this ball rolling with my mentor and hands on training. Wish me luck !! Stay posted for more updates

1St load ever!! I'm a trucker Now (Prime)

Congrats! On completing ur first load. Hope to be in your position soon enough. Waiting on a mentor to ride out with. Can't wait to start seeing and learning what I will need in order to be on my own. Be safe out there OTR. ✌🏼️

OK OK OK I'm not a trucker yet. But it felt good to get my first miles behind me to see what I looked forward too.

Just think a week ago I had just got to prime and never driven ever. Now I'm on the open road shifting gears like I was trucker in my past life.

I catch on to things easy but this was something I thought would take time and give me hell. It didn't at all. By no means am I perfect but I am comfortable in the seat and I think that counts for something.

Sleeping at my first truck stop toni g t here in OKC while writing this and I can't sleep for excitement but I know I have to go soon just wanted to share my progress. TTYL Datguycole out

Crash course on per diem

Rick good looking out u always come thru when I need an answer. ✌🏼️

This is a recent per diem discussion we had here: Recent Per Diem Discussion

To answer your questions directly: does a company ask the employee how they would like to accept this on a daily,weekly, monthly or yearly bases. Per diem is paid however the company does it's pay periods - weekly/bi-monthly. It is a certain CPM of your mileage pay. Is it best to take it upfront or to take it in a lump sum at end of year. See above answer - there's no "lump sum" - it's a portion of your CPM pay. If you don't say anything about does the company just do how they feel with it? Some companies make it mandatory - some give you the option. Read the responses on some of the other threads, and decide if you want to do so (if the company gives you the choice).

Rick

Crash course on per diem

Thanks Sue! Really appreciate the info. ✌🏼️

I have "heatd" that some companies require it? But honestly unsure. My company will do either way and to do perdiem you simply fill out a form and turn it into payroll.

That said, my company calculates it by the load assignment on our pay settlement sheets. I did not initially choose perdiem however looking at my ytd tax withholding, i changed to perdiem a couple months ago because my withholding was already well above my income tax that would be required by years end. I opted to keep that excess in my pocket. I will switch back to "regular" withholding at the first of the year, rinse and repeat lol.

Perdiem is basically untaxed income to cover expenses (as allowed by the irs) when you work away from home. I will be unable to itemize my road expenses when i file my 2016 fedaral return, which wasnt a big deal to me but may be to some.

To calculate perdiem, my company figures my gross pay at 6 cpm LESS THAN what i actually earn (only 6 cpm less because i team and our normal perdiem of 13 cpm is split between my codriver) They then deduct any tax exempt insurance premiums, tax exempt 401k contributions, then calculates the tax withholding, deducts that amount as well as any non exempt insurance premiums and cash advances. Then they ADD back in any reimbursement receipts (like tolls, etc. that i spent any advance on, and last but not least, the 6 cpm that was exempt from tax withholding.

Perdiem WILL REDUCE your taxable income. Things to consider is it will also negatively affect your reportable income should you apply for a mortgage or vehicle loan as well as social security or unemployment benefits.

At this point in my life, with my children being grown and no longer eligible for a child tax crefit, as well as having no plans to apply for a mortgage or vehicle loans, I use perdiem and 401k to completrly eliminate my tax liability. Honestly, with this type of planning, i have not paid federal income taxes in over 10 years lol. I literally am refunded every penny plus other tax "credits" i qualify for each year when i file. I do incur state taxes and pay a small amount there. If you are unsure what would be best for your personal situation, speak to a tax professional who is preferably a CPA as well as a Certified Financial Planner.

I hope this helps you at least undetstand how it works. To utilize perdiem, you MUST MAINTAIN A RESIDENCE.

May trucking starting orientation 10/4/2016

So it been a week now I have been. Ack home from orientation. Still waiting on a mentor to become available. Starting to get a bit frustrated. Didn't think it would take this long. Really am eager to get out there and starting learning and experiencing first hand the everyday things I will be dealing with. Called my DM the other day left him a message he didn't even call me back. I understand he is busy with all the drivers he must take care of. I feel left out in a sense. Since he didn't even bother to call me back and/or email me at least. Hope things will change soon and a mentor become available ASAP