Comments By Zen Joker

https://duelmovie.webatu.com/dueltruck2.JPG avatar
  • Zen Joker
  • 7 years, 1 month ago
  • Comments:

I just read a scary store about new trainees can anyone reply to this for me

One of the best things anyone considering a career OR getting started in the field of trucking can do is to avoid websites like the Yuckers Abort where all the half asses spill there frustrations. While there is some valuable info on other trucking websites, you often need to wade through pages of retarded garbage to find it. Hence the great value of TT and all it's contributing members. smile.gif

Trucker Tracker In Beta - Try It Out!

That is flippin' awesome!!!

Dumb question about prescription glasses

I don't wear glasses. I wear contacts. But peripheral vision is critical in trucking. You're constantly scanning your mirrors and the road on all sides of you for any slight indication of a problem and also glancing down at your gauges all the time. So I would think you'd want lenses large enough to give you good peripheral vision.

Thanks dude!! dancing-dog.gif

Dumb question about prescription glasses

Hi Folks,

This may be a dumb question, but does anyone who wears glasses see any benefit in larger lenses? Heading to the eye doctor next month and things are looking very possible for me to start my career in trucking on 2014. Right now I have a contemporary "slim" pair of glasses where each lens is just shy of an inch high. While this works well for my current "desk" job for looking at computer screens, would it be advantageous to get larger-taller lenses for trucking or am I simply overthinking this (like I do 95% of everything in life) shocked.png

Schneider National

Forgot to mention that I have a history of back problems. Sitting for long periods is not much of an issue. Bending, twisting,and heavy lifting for periods longer than 30 minutes intervals spells trouble for me. SO I will need to run the other way from the Family Dollar dedicateddancing-banana.gif

Schneider National

Brett your spot on as usual with feedback thanks as always!

TTM thanks for the general feedback, Schneider has limited opportunities in my region. Only Team and this Dollar Store dedicated. But I really appreciate your enthusiastic insight. At any point in the future if I ever think Schneider , I will definitely get in contact with you.

Thanks guys and have a great rest of the week.

Schneider National

Hello,

I know in general this forum does not recommend one company over another, but just wondering if anyone has had or heard from other folks in the industry anything good, bad, or ugly about them. A new dedicated opening has opened in my area that I may consider. It is a Family Dollar account and is a LOT of handloading and multiple stops. Recruiter said new drivers after the first year make in the mid-upper $40's. Sound like an exxageration?

Thank you for any feedback!

Team Driver Earnings: Schneider

Thank you Daniel and Brett..that is the feedback I was looking for. Looks like regional or national flatbed fleet will end up being the best fit overall.

Thanks and have a great week!

Team Driver Earnings: Schneider

Hello All,

Trying to find a balance of all things as I pace outside the gates of trucking...

After rookie year, would it be reasonable to assume a team driver at let's say Schneider can make $53-55k per year being out 2-3 weeks at a time (then home 3-4 days)? Would that be a reasonable estimate by industry standards for 2-3 weeks out?

Realize the team concept is a whole different animal to consider but just want to see if the earnings are there. Appreciate any feedback.....

Thanks! Andy

Flatbedder schedules

Zen Joker, I'm a flat-bedder and a lot of the times my delivery times will tell me what day of the week and what hours they will be receiving. As an example it may tell me to deliver on June the 9th from 7am - 3pm. Therefore you get to manage your own time and make it work out however you want to manage your own clock. Some people will prefer driving all night and arriving at 7am, get unloaded and then go take a break. Another person may prefer to drive all day on the day ahead and get to the receiver that night and shut down waiting for them to arrive in the morning and unload when they get started that morning, then go get another load and drive all day again. You'll figure all this out once you get your own chance to do it. What you don't want to make a habit of is getting there at the last minute - I see a lot of drivers doing this. This is the kind of stuff that keeps you from being able to get on another load that same day. These are the little details that help you be successful at this.

Most of my loads are live loads, but occasionally we have customers that we leave empty flat-bed trailers at so we can just go drop and hook when they let us know that we have a loaded trailer ready.

There are also a few industrial sites that I go to that only load or only receive between the hours of midnight and six a.m.

One of the great things about driving a truck is the independent way the job is managed. Once you get the hang of how to manage your time you really can be creative and make it work to your advantage. I recently ran a high value load with about 2800 miles on the trip. Since this load is worth about 1.4 million dollars, for security reasons they want us to run it with another driver who is carrying the same load. We had to stop at the same places together, park together, and stay together the whole trip. We would discuss driving over meals together and I discovered real quickly that he didn't get near the miles that I do, and it was simply a matter of not understanding some simple techniques about managing the hours. After several conversations I thought I could see the light bulb going off in his mind, and he thanked me profusely for sharing with him things that no one else had ever explained to him. For me it just seems like common sense, but when a person hasn't been exposed to the ins and outs of the rules of HOS they don't realize what they can be doing to help themselves out and still stay within the legal limits of the law. I give my props to Brett's High Road Training Program because that section on logs in there has mad my career far more successful than it would have been had I not been exposed to the nuances of the law and how the rules work.

Much appreciated old wise one. Appreciate the insightthank-you-2.gif

To CB or not to CB?

Thanks for the feedback guys :)

Flatbedder schedules

Thanks Ernie and Ken, very helpful.

Have a good weekend guys :)

To CB or not to CB?

Do most of you have and use CB? Seen a lot of articles on the web that CB is just a wasteland of asinine conversation and lewd humor.

Do many of you find a CB to be a helpful part of your day? Is it worth having one in your truck day in day out?

Thank you very much in advance for your opinion and perspective..

Best, Andy

Flatbedder schedules

First off, I understand that a trucker's schedule is inconsistent and always changing. Since many flatbed loads are moved with Cranes, etc. is it a fair statement to say that a flatbedder's may have a slightly more consistent schedule than van drivers since there is no drop and hook? Or do they have just as many odd hours appointments/deadlines and drive sometimes as many odd hours (midnight to 6 am) as van drivers?

Appreciate any insight.

Considering the Switch

Also, have you ever heard of a driver letting someone ride along to get an idea of what it's like out there? I'd be interested in trying that.

Best bet might be to call a local truck dealer and ask them to ask one of their O/O's who has a double bunk would be willing to allow a rider. Buy a meal a day for the O/O. Not sure but I think company drivers can only take relatives. Most but maybe not all.

Posted:  7 years ago

Information About Roehl Transport

I have lurked here for a long time.

All in all you will find people on the web that will want nothing else than to complain about the company they have worked for. Some of its deserved most of it is not. My advice for anyone reading reviews on any company do your research. not all the bad reviews are legit.

I on the other hand when I decided to choose trucking as a option for me. I did alot of research, some of it here some of it on other sites. I took all the info i had avaible to me that i could find. I ended up choosing Roehl. Mostly the good outweighed the bad. Yeah i have had my moments that i hated decisions my company has made. But all in all they treat me very well. Get me home when i need to be home. I would recommend Roehl for anyone that wants to go their. Will i stay here forever? Nope I already know what i ultimatly want to do and Roehl cant do that for me.

The RDTC program is very fast paced and not for everyone. I loved it and excelled in it, I just work that way.

I appreciate your feedback Chris, thank you. Yeah....though I am hard working, I'm pretty easy going and just want to make a living and get home during the week for 36-48 hours. Roehl will be my choice when the time comes, and a private school will likely be my better option after reviewing Brett's eBook with regard to the "pace and atmosphere" of the private school setting vs. company sponsored.

Thanks again for your 10 cents, take car Sir and be safe!

Posted:  7 years ago

Information About Roehl Transport

Thank you all 3 of you. Yeah this is what happened to me in 2002 when I went to CRST. I'm realizing my skin needs to be thicker this time around.

I actually saw a Roehl truck parked at a local gas station on weekends. So last week I slipped a letter in a Ziploc bag under his windshield stating I would like his opinion on the company and the industry. Spoke to him twice. He has been on for 6 months and switches between reefer and intermodal. Today I am meeting him in person, buying him a cold one, and discussing things further.

In the end I will likely be private school material as I think that may be more my pace vs. company sponsored which seems more ram rodded. I would still expect a rough going during parts of training and my 1st year, but at least at that point I will be able to find my @$$ with 2 hands regarding basic operation of the rig. Where I went wrong the first time was I let the instructor at CRST intimidate me and that in combination with some home sickness made me leave after 4 days. This time if I go home to I'll be putting my wife and 2 year old in poverty as my area is an employment wasteland. No better motivator for personal growth and commitment then that I guess. I just don't want to become so hardened that it affects me on the weekends as a father and hubby.

We'll see what happens with the current job & insurance issues in 2014. If things go south, then I will need to thicken my skin and just do this. My goal is to succeed at it for my whole family, not just "give it a shot".

Anyways, thanks again and be safe!

Posted:  7 years ago

Information About Roehl Transport

I made the mistake of looking at the forum on the T-R just to get as many perspectives on my probable future choice of a company in Roehl. Perhaps I am stating the obvious but it seems like a bashing contest on that site for just about any company.

My expectations (at some point in the future) when I enter the industry are to work hard doing flatbed, live in a closet 5 days a week (regional), go 2-3 days without a shower, be issued a very used truck, go to sleep crying a few times especially the first 3-6 months but reel myself back into reality of not quitting due to a lack of opportunities back home, and after a year or 2, make in low $40k's, and be as positive a person in any and every situation I enter. I'm excited at the prospect of becoming a trucker some day, but I know it will be one of the greatest tests of my life as far as mental and spiritual toughness.

After reading some of those posts on the "other" site am I correct to assume most of those guys are just leakers with crappy attitudes who wanted the world on a plate? Seems like they depict companies like Roehl and Schneider as places where rookies are treated like crap and run into the ground and no self respecting trucker stays there more than a year. Are even companies which are predominately good to most drivers who are positive an work hard also thrown under the bus this much on other sites???

Thanks!

Posted:  7 years ago

Just set my new mileage record!

Congrats dude!! Stay safe!dancing-banana.gif

Posted:  7 years ago

Frustrated Trainee

Just an FYI on my list of recruiter questions looking at Roehl, they only have a 2 week window with the trainer and per the recruiter they do NOT Team drive, it is in fact set that time for the trainer to observe and mentor you during that time.

Good Luck!!

Just a word of warning, my brother went with Roehl out of a private school as his first company and found out the hard way that two weeks with a trainer is not enough by a long shot. He lasted three weeks with them before landing a job with fedex.

Hmmm. I have a friend in town here that went through Roehl's school and was out on his own after just 9 days with the trainer. He drives regional van and intermodal and seems pretty happy. Guess this is really an individual process.

What issues did your brother run into that made him leave if I can ask?

Thanks!