Comments By Zen Joker

https://duelmovie.webatu.com/dueltruck2.JPG avatar
  • Zen Joker
  • Comments:

Schneider must not be hiring right now :-)

Most recruiters start work at 7. So call very early in the morning, try to catch them as they're just sitting down to start their day. It definitely is difficult to get ahold of your recruiter but don't give up!

Thanks man!

Schneider must not be hiring right now :-)

Just doing some research and had a few questions and I have called their 2-800 recruiting number now 7 times this last week and cannot get through. Left 2 voicemails 48 hours which have been unanswered. Anybody have a better number for their recruiting?

I had the same problem with prime inc. they said all recruiters were with other drivers and to hold. I continued to hold for 25 minutes before giving up. I filled out an application online and within 3 days received a call from a recruiter. So if you want to drive for scneider I would suggest to fill out an application online and someone will contact you

Thanks!!!

POLL: OTR Rookie and experienced drivers

How do you presently feel about your trucking career on a 1-5 scale?

5. The perfect career for me, love my job and the challenges it brings daily.

4. It's good most of the time but if I had a job of equal pay closer to home I would take it.

3. It's okay for now, but in a few years I will be looking elsewhere.

2. Don't really see myself doing this for life. I will stick with it until something better comes my way.

1. Hate it, and will exit the industry the first chance I get.

Schneider must not be hiring right now :-)

My big fat confused tanker driving idea and financial debate

Guys this is EXACTLY the feedback I needed. I do appreciate both your comments. Maybe in 15-20 years when the kid(s) are grown and our finances are under better control, maybe that is when I need to give trucking the nod. It's so damn hard though watching every truck go through town. There is even a guy on the next block who is home every 4 weeks for his home time and parks his Cascadia 100 feet from my house. It's the like the truck is yelling screw you!! You have a Lonnnng time to wait.

Don't get me wrong, if I lost my job for any reason, I would immediately enroll in CDL school as my plan B but right now I need to stay put where I am at. I just needed to hear it from some guys that are doing it right now. Jimbo the cons probably outweigh the pros so thank you for that insight Sir. Daniel, you are not allowed to retire until after 2035ish as that is likely when I will be going trucking and I want to buy you a coffee at a truck stop as I (like many other members here) enjoy reading your diaries, insights, and great replies to threads.

Thanks folks, I will continue to lurk the forum and live vicariously through you all! dancing.gif

My big fat confused tanker driving idea and financial debate

Hi Folks,

I've read Brett's comments about the strain trucking has on families. I am talking to my wife about the possibility of driving tanker for Schneider out of Green Bay (assuming they would let my wife drive me 2.5 hours there from Eagle River for my 6 day per month home time. Right now I have a job working form home making around $48k but the insurance sucks and the earnings in combination with the lack of affordable insurance are quickly becoming inadequate.

2 QUESTIONS:

1) Schneider advertises (up to $84k a year for the tanker division). I don't buy that, but is $55-65k after a couple years a realistic expectation?

2) Does anyone out there have a younger child and spouse at home? How does that work being gone 3.5 weeks out of the month?

Sorry to keep kicking my career change dilemmas around in here periodically, but I don't want to sacrifice the time with my family if I can't break the $60k mark at some point in a couple years. Trying to figure out if this is something I should really consider. Diesel is in my veins and burning, but it has to make sense for my family too.

Any input is appreciated as always..thank you kindly

ZJ

Healthy eating for truck drivers

Hey Gal,

One idea that will:

a) Start out your day right b) Fill you up in the AM with 37 grams of protein, and a host of fiber, enzymes and micronutrients c) Save you time in the AM by simply needing water and a blender bottle d) Cost less the an extra value meal at McDonalds is...

Stuff rocks and tastes great. Very dense shake and it keeps me full for 4 hours. Also a great emergency meal if you don't have any options at the end of the day

smile.gif

Schneider - Tanker Division

PM Thinks too much. He used to work on the tanker side at Schneider.

Thx!! ;)

Schneider - Tanker Division

Hello Folks,

I realize the first 1-2 years pay is going to be on the low side. Schneider however is advertising $82k per year for tanker which I expect is astronomical B.S. With that being said, does anyone think it a reasonable expectation after a year or 2 to earn $55-65k per year driving tanker on let's say 6 days a month of home time? Schneider advertises 6 "preferred" home time days in this job description.

Sincerely,

The forever "Considering a career" member :-)

I was told to clean out my truck and bring it to the yard...

Good Deal!!! Enjoy the new digs!dancing-dog.gif

Landed A New Truck Driving Gig

Congrats!!!!dancing-banana.gif

Back Issues and Flatbedding

Chris & Steve, thank you for your feedback. Reefer may be where I go. It seems to be safest.

Be safe guys and thanks again!

Best home base for OTR/Regional Drivers

My husband is just finishing up his training...should be on his own in a week or two. I am considering relocating to make it easier/more convenient for him to get home time. We were thinking about Pennsylvania as it appears to be a large hub and it's affordable. Anyone have any other thoughts/ideas as to what the best location would be specific to PA or other locations in the states?

If he can do flatbed, Roehl has regional work in Northern WI or Iron Mountain MI. Iron Mountain is DIRT cheap for houses but is still a fairly nice area. It's "up nort' here hey" but it's beautiful country (though winters are harsh).

Back Issues and Flatbedding

Hello Everyone,

I have sciatica and perpetual back issues. Presently I do sit 8-10 hours a day with my desk job and do Yoga as often as I can. I have a question please for all knowledge folks :)

Is flat-bedding workman's suicide in my case? Would the work (even with a lifting belt) be a stretch for someone who has a history of back issues? I know the tarps can get up around 80 lbs.

Any input is appreciated

Posted:  6 years ago

Back problems?

Oh I believe that Driver!! I do have a very pricey chair insert by McCarty which has a full lumbar support and no pressure point bottom which makes a big difference for sitting in the office chair (but that doesn't bounce! for 8-9 hours). Thanks for your input.

Posted:  6 years ago

Back problems?

Hi Everyone,

I've been MIA for good reasons. My family's health issues have leveled out and I got a bonus and a raise from my current employer to stop the financial bleeding from last year when I was giving serious consideration to going into trucking so I could have access to reasonably priced insurance. For now things have leveled out, so trucking for me is a moderate to distant future venture for me.

I just wanted to drop a reply here because this is exactly the info I was looking for. Sciatica has run wild this summer on me, but I can still sit 8-9 hours per day for my job. Standing and walking not so good. I'm hoping in the future when trucking comes back into the picture (after kids are grown OR if unexpected circumstances dictate), that I can have some hope of doing the job. Flatbed will definitely be out. My back is just too sensitive. I will keep myself fit and healthy to pass the DOT physical and find a company that pays lumpers.

As always, thank you Brett and all members for continuing to provide good info for prospective drivers and future hopefuls such as myself thank-you.gif

Everyone take care, be safe, and stay cool!!

Thanks! ZJ

Let's blame the company for our failure...

Accountability went out of style about the same time as Guess Jeans. embarrassed.gif

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

Beginning Company Sponsored Training with Roehl

Congrats!!!!!

Beginning Company Sponsored Training with Roehl

Thanks for the detailed entries PJ. This future Roehl hopeful is cheering you on from 2 1/2 hours north from you in Eagle River, WI. Keep up the good work!!! good-luck.gif