Profile For William H.

William H.'s Info

Southeast, KS

Rookie Solo Driver

2 years, 7 months ago

William H.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Prime Testing Out

Congratulations! When I trifecta'd with Prime last November, I was in shock. Again congrats, I am sure it was a huge weight taken off your shoulders.

Anyone in Sprimo this weekend?

I'm here. My truck is in the shop getting the APU fixed.

Game: Name something funny or stupid that happened recently

I pulled away from a dock and the trailer jerked. I thought the trailer brakes were frozen up so checked them and they were released. Pulled away and felt a bump. I completely forgot there was a wheel chock placed in front of the left tire. What is really stupid is I walked right past it. All well there was no damage and no one was hurt, except my pride.

No go @ Prime, any thoughts on knight?

I drive for Prime and don't have a hazmat endorsement. It is not required. What IS required is a tanker endorsement, TWIC card and Passport.

Backing. Would practice with a pickup and a 5th wheel travel trailer help me prepare?

Easier? Interesting. I understand the physical differences now, but how is it easier? Thanks!

The 53' is easier to see, just my opinion. Also a small trailer is easier to jack knife because it can get sideways a whole lot quicker. Don't ask me how I know this.

Frustrations training with Prime on the road

My request for a new trainer got denied. Got told by my FM to stick it out. Said he's not sure getting a new trainer will fix anything.

That is very unfortunate. Get in contact with someone higher up. Calmly explain your situation and I wish you the best.

When I went through Prime's training, my trainer would let me decide if I wanted to back at first. Most of the time he would stand outside and observe and help me out if I got into a situation he felt I needed help with.

The best advice is that backing will and does take practice.

Good old truck music for all the trucking

18 Wheels and A Dozen Roses by Kathy Mattea.

Rolling On by Merle Haggard

Prisoner of the Highway by Ronnie Milsap

Teddy Bear by Red Sovine

Keeping It Between the Lines

I'll be heading to Wisconsin soon and I just had a quick question. It may seem silly but I was hoping to get some tips before getting behind the wheel. Soooo......

How do you make sure to keep the trailer straight when driving? One piece of advice I have been given by a friend who drives is he lines his left hand up with the center line and it usually keeps straight. Just wanted everyone else's opinion becaise thats the biggest fear I have. Get out to drive on the road for training, the trailer gets out of hand and hits a car or God forbid a person.....

My truck has the 2 mirrors on the hood. I line up the left one with the white line. Works most of the time and keeps the trailer in the lane.

I have pulled trailers in the past that off tracked to the right but it wasn't a big deal.

Smoke/CO Detectors

The gadget post got me thinking about things. The one thing is safety. I have a smoke/CO detector installed in my sleeper of my truck.

So does anyone else?

Never thought about it. Great idea though. On my way for Home Time. I think I'll pick one up. Just remember CO is heavier than air, and the detector should be mounted closer to the floor. Do you have the combo unit or seperate ones? Thanks for the idea!

smile.gifthank-you.gif

I have the combo unit mount about eye level when standing up. I mounted to a cabinet with double sided tape.

Smoke/CO Detectors

So does anyone else?

Triple axle trailers

They are mainly used in states that allow higher gvw. Like Montana, Washington, Idaho Wyoming. Etc.

That explains why I only seen them in the Northwest so far.

What are your favorite gadgets on the road?

This question is for both quality of life on the road, and gadgets/equipment that help you immensely in your day to day activities. Like:

-Mini Fridge

-wifi hotspot

-Circulation fan

-CB radio

-laptop/tablet

-GPS

And the list could go on! For those of us getting into the trucking industry, or who have recently gotten their CDLs and are still greenhorns, what advice do you have for tools, tech, and equipment?

I don't have a CB yet, but I can't live without my mini fridge. It has saved me money in the long run.

I also have my iPad. It has some ebooks, magazines and I subscribed to my hometown newspaper and they send me electronic issues.

Triple axle trailers

I am seeing box trailers with 3 axles. What is the advantage of the third axle? Hauling more weight?

At prime orientation

Ok passed physical

Good job! You're one step closer. Again good luck and study.

Game: who is where today?

I'm in ID about to run to MD thru WY,...youz guys know how I just love WY. ;)

But is a 2700 mile run...so yay. Lol

Where youz at?

Sitting in Robesonia, PA waiting on the claims department to give me further instructions.

At prime orientation

Everything going well but blood pressure test. Will they work with me

They worked with and were very easy to work with.

Congratulations and good luck. I am on my first solo run and enjoying it. This first load is a learning experience because their is a claim on it.

Crengland just hit my trailer backing in

The last time I saw CRE wreck something...it was turning out of a fuel lane and took the front end off the truck next to it....another CRE. I was so tempted to take a pic for twisted trucker.

Eh..get some sleep. Not your fault...which is a good thing lol

I saw CRE back into a light at a customer in CA. He didn't back into once, but three times. Get some sleep and report it to your company's respective department.

DOT physical

So with all the research I've done to see if I think trucking is for me, I haven't put much thought towards the physical I will have to get. My situation right now is that I haven't seen a doctor in about 7 years. And that was when I was getting out of military. I got my hearing tested then also because it would've been the only thing I would have been able to claim disability for but when I took the test they said I wasn't legally deaf but that my hearing dropped since my initial hearing test when I joined military. And having not seen a doctor and not feeling anything wrong with me to feel the need to see the doctor, I'm now just a little anxious about going through that process not being sure how thorough they are and if they end up finding some reason I'm not fit for trucking. I don't feel like I have any hearing issues after getting out of military and it not being bad enough that they would compensate me. And haven't had any concerns in last 7 years, so I believe it's safe to assume I will be fine. But just wondering if this is common that guys are like me not regularly seeing a doctor and such and this physical being the first time in a couple years that I'll have been seen by a doctor. I wear glasses too and have had an eye exam in the last two years and nothing changed much there either. I've had kidney stones before and have heard that those can spring up every we run couple years after getting them before, so not sure if that is a medical concern they would be iffy about.

Maybe I'm thinking it too much. Company I am in application process with had me do a medical interview on phone but those were all general questions that I easily passed. And go start training in three weeks.

I am like you and hadn't seen a doctor in years, before my first DOT physical and did alright. I did get sent for a sleep study and am on a CPAP machine, but my health has improved a little bit because of it.

Is it possible to get a local job without experience?

I also dont know where "training for peanuts" came from. My company does $700 per week gross. I think that's pretty good.

Agreed

I am going to finish training in early to mid January and learned much more after I obtained my license than before.

In Springfield @ Prime 11/17? dinner's on me ;)

Hey guys just got here. Was thinking about six on should be good. What do u think?

Should be good, I have a sleep study at 10 so that will be fine