Comments By Tastebuds

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/truck-highway.jpg avatar

Tastebuds' Totally Truckable Beef Stroganoff

Is crockpot a feasible option?

I figure it's time for me to start contributing more than silly attempts at humor. While I don't have enough trucker knowledge to really contribute there, I do, however, know how to cook! I'm just starting out, so my appliances and whatnot is rather limited right now, but that won't stop Tastebuds from whipping up something good to eat!

Equipment I used: small cutting board, sharp knife, electric skillet, and a cooking spoon.

Food to buy:

Beef meat. I bought a pound and a half package of beef stew meat. I don't normally use this at the house, but for sanitation reasons and the sake of simplicity, I used them here.

Sour cream. I bought an 8oz cup.

Parsley. I bought a tube of already chopped parsley because I don't have the means of washing them properly.

Mushrooms, chopped. I like portabella mushrooms but you can use whatever you want, even canned mushrooms are useable.

Noodles. I like using No Yokes, but any bag of wide egg noodles will do.

Salt and pepper, duh!

Water.

What to do:

Heat up the skillet as high as your inverter or tolerance for grease splatter will allow. You can use some cooking oil here, if you want. Season meat with salt and pepper to taste. Brown the meat to a dark brown color. I took out a few pieces at a time and eventually cut them all into smaller pieces to aid in tenderizing and stuffing in my mouth later. Add mushrooms.

Once the meat is browned enough, add enough water to cover the meat, cover with the lid, and lower the heat to simmer. As the water cook's out, check tenderness and continue adding water and simmering until desired tenderness is reached.

Add water one more time and let it heat up. Add as much uncooked noodles as your skillet can hold. Cook until noodles are done and the noodle meat mixture is not too watery. Turn off skillet, then add parsley and sour cream. Let mixture sit for about 5 minutes or until the savage in you demands to be fed.

Bon appetit!

I wouldn't use the crockpot exclusively. Once you brown the meat in a skillet you could probably use the crockpot to finish cooking it. I wouldn't do it simply because I try to dirty as few dishes as possible while on the road UNLESS I have PLENTY of time and nothing else to do but clean dishes!

Question for our prime-ates here

:::throws microphone across room at Tastebuds:::

There take THAT!

rofl-2.gif

LMAO

Little thingy it's driving me crazy

Now that this thread has ran its course, I do have to say I like it when I hear a woman say the title of thread.

Driving the short bus today

I have a harder time backing the bobtail. I get all kinds of confused!

Tastebuds' Totally Truckable Beef Stroganoff

Food to buy:

Sour cream. I bought an 8oz cup.

Noodles. I like using No Yokes, but any bag of wide egg noodles will do.

Salt and pepper, duh!

Water.

What to do:

Bon appetit!

O/D Pulling an RGN as a Newbie!

I'm glad you explained that, thanks! I've seen a lot of really cool stuff being hauled here lately, that makes it easier to understand how.

Unreasonable request?

Thanks! Though you may very well have had a switch like that on your Pete, as I've found out they can be added aftermarket.

Real talk about money

I drive locally and make around $900/week gross, which for me is around $700 or so take home.

I always wondered how much bread they put in your jar! (Please tell me you got that reference!)

Question for our prime-ates here

Yes it is reasonable But wait to budget until you get rolling with your FM. Some gradually add miles as you get better, some throw mikes at you to see what you can handle.

I'm not sure I want to handle a "mike" but maybe a Michelle or a Marcie.

Unreasonable request?

I was told Pete's don't have the switch. And to not park on grass. Oh, and keep the APU set to autostart: low battery. Also, to enjoy my weekend. I think that covers everything they told me.

Little thingy it's driving me crazy

You guys sure are silly! It's a decombobulator valve. Don't play with it, BAD things will happen. Bad things, man, BAD THINGS!

Unreasonable request?

Here's a picture of a Freightliner battery switch, right inside the driver's door. Pete and KW switches are pretty much the same.

20170525_085652.jpg

I'm preparing to go home for my first hometime also. I drive a 2015 S h i t brown Peterbilt, aka Demon Turd, and I don't have a shutoff switch in that location. I know the 2 Freightliners I trained had one there and the Pete's at school had one outside on the frame. Do Pete's normally have them?

I had a Pete 587 that had one in a similar location. I'm not sure about other models. Which do you have?

Demon Turd is a 587.

I haven't had that truck for over a year, but my recollection is that it was in a similar location. I would ask your shop or a Peterbilt dealer where the master battery disconnect switch is on your truck.

Yeah, I'm at the mothership, I'll ask RA before I leave.

Healthy Eating

Healthy eating is a personal thing. I mean what's healthy eating for me differs from people that don't have autoimmune diseases. But in general there's a lot of myths about healthy eating.

FAT

To simplified it... We need fat, good fat like olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, and the best fat of all... fresh avocado. None of these needs refrigeration.

VEGS

We also need vegetables, I do a mix of cauliflower, broccoli, carrot and zucchini. Steam in a pot Will last me 3 meals. To complement we also need starchy vegetables... the carrots are one, so is sweet potatoes and any type of squash. I prefer butternut squash. They can be boiled,steamed, I prefer roasted. Wen I roast a batch it last me for a week. Ideally between 1 to 3 cups of Vegs per meal and a 1/3 cup of starchy Vegs per meal depending on your appetite. Wen your body says that's enough your full, you have to stop.

PROTEIN

Protein is also important, about the size and thickness of the palm of our hand. It's easy to cook. Or buy some pre cook Protein. I also love canned food. Tuna,sardines, seafood, ham...

THE MEAL

My go to meal... 3/4 cup steam vegs 1/3 cup starchy vegs 1/2 avocado 1 radish 1-2 tbsp sauerkraut 1 medium tuna can in olive oil mixed with kalamata olives. ( reddish brown olives) Fruit in season.

I sprinkle good quality evoo (extra virgin olive oil ) on top of all vegs then sprinkle mineral sea salt on top of all vegs including Sliced radish and avocado.

This gives me enough energy to last 5 to 7 hours without having snacks between meals. I do this 3 times per day I only change the protein.

Lost 30 pounds first 3 months. 5 pounds the 4th month.

After one month stoped cholesterol, high blood pressure meds. Reduce half of meds from psoriatic arthritis.

If we want it... We can.

1/2 avocado? What do you do with the other half? If you can only eat a half avocado at a time, you have more self control than I do!

Semi-Truck Driver Crashes Through Doors at Moonlite Bunny Ranch

I wonder if he logged the trip? At least it doesn't sound like he ran over any HOS

I'm out,...that's a winner!!!💥

I agree, that comment beat the rest into subMISHon.

It's Official. I'm a Prime Driver in Training

Congrats!

Getting SCREWED by Walmart

Tastebuds, if you'll observe some veteran drivers when they are backing into a parking spot or a dock, many of them will get out and look (G.O.A.L.) for any screws or nails that may be in the path of their tires.

They've learned the hard way that losing a minute or two looking is much less costly than losing two or three hours waiting on the side of the road for a service truck to show up.

No, I do observe other drivers and have not seen anybody else do that. HOWEVER, that is a very good idea that I may start incorporating. Thanks OS!

Getting SCREWED by Walmart

Never had that happen at the DCs I am assigned to... (Knock on wood).

Walmart's jockey tractors have large bar magnets attached under the front bumper to remove such objects from the Tarmac. Obviously not a fool proof system, you found the one that went missing.

My only thought, the trailer drop lot used for outside carriers, isn't frequented by the "critters". Might explain your encounter.

Nah, both times I drove right up and docked to a door with yard jockeys driving all around. It's my amazing luck, trust me!

Little thingy it's driving me crazy

It's obviously a Whatchamacallit, I'm surprised nobody else has pointed that out yet. Unless, of course, it has that thing that does that stuff when you do something to, then it's obviously a Widget.

Getting SCREWED by Walmart

I love delivering to Walmart DC's. They are all layed out in a similar manner, people are typically friendly and professional. However, the last two DC's I went, I drove away with a screw in my tire.

Just wondering, how many of you have had stuff like that happen. Would love to hear the stories of "oh man, I love this place" then 5 minutes later ... BOHICA!

Prime inc Springfield CDL training 3/6/2017 female student

Congrats !! Just remember to take a deep breath (or many) when you get your first solo trip.

Don't listen to that bubblehead, hold your breath, it makes it more intense!

Congrats on completing TNT!