Profile For Tastebuds

Tastebuds's Info

Lafayette, LA

Rookie Solo Driver

1 year, 11 months ago

Tastebuds's Bio

At 41 years old, I'm facing yet another career change as I was recently displaced from the oil & gas industry. Change is nothing new to me as I've been in the Navy, twice, been to college, twice, worked a variety of odd jobs, and have a variety of interests.

Tastebuds's Photo Gallery

Hot Stuff!

When I read the subject line, I thought this thread was about me, but I digress.

Prime application

Call Prime and tell them what happened and why. It doesn't sound like what you did is a big deal and they'll advise you on what to do.

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

Suggestions needed for getting through Chicago tomorrow.

Whatever you do, don't get locked in. Again!

Oh you HAD to go there huh? Got jokes huh?

I asked for wise ones, ya know.

rofl-3.gif

Despite all your rage, you're still just a Turtle in a cage! rofl-1.gif

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

Suggestions needed for getting through Chicago tomorrow.

Whatever you do, don't get locked in. Again!

Prime inc Springfield CDL training 3/6/2017 female student

IMG_7240.jpg I'm also part of the sparkling personalities club. So new I had to put my own inspection stickers, rip plastic off of everything, and apply my ez pass and pre pass to the window. However, here's a tip. When doing a pretrip, make sure the coolant cap is on tight. I broke down 80 miles away. I've always looked at the coolant but never ensured cap was secured. I am a Primate now tho. #winning Be safe everyone!!! It's a crazy world out there.

I hate you all! ;) BTW, you are no longer in CDL school, update your status to ROOKIE solo driver, then you'll officially be part of the cool kids club!

Autonomous Trucks - a response

In one of those amazing coincidences, I opened up Patrick Netzel's article on self-driving vehicles just minutes after having a conversation on that very subject with my wife.

I don't see autonomous vehicles "replacing" truck drivers any time soon for a couple of reason.

First, autonomous aircraft have not replaced pilots. Any modern airliner is equipped with a Flight Management Computer and a very complex Automated Flight System. We're talking about vehicles that cost millions, equipped with very sophisticated electronic control systems that make a good part of that cost. And there are still two people up front managing all that stuff. These modern aircraft can do almost everything on their own (and do, because they are efficient.) Once a modern airliner is about 1500 feet off the ground, the Non-Flying Pilot presses a little button called VNAV and then another one called LNAV. From that point on, the airplane climbs to altitude, manages the throttle, turns at waypoints and flies itself to its destination. There is literally nothing the pilots have to do for the plane to get to where it's going. When it gets there, the plane can descend, maneuver into approach and land itself. Once on the ground, the pilot takes over to deploy the reversers, slow the aircraft down and taxi to the gate. (Most pilots turn off the autopilot at around 1000 feet and land the plane themselves, but it *can* land itself and will when visibility mandates a CAT III automatic landing.)

Now, for all of this to work, there still needs to be somebody up front to push all the right buttons on the Control Display Unit to properly program the Flight Management System. But, honestly, that could be handled by any variety of data uplink methods. STILL - there are pilots on board. Why? Because there are people and/or cargo in the back and the Federal Aviation Administration requires that there still be trained pilots to do the one thing all that fancy hardware can't do: make decisions.

And maneuvering an aircraft in open sky is less complex than maneuvering a car in traffic, even if it's the congested skies of the TCA for Newark, La Guardia and JFK.

The feds will continue to require an operator to man the cab of a truck for the same reasons they mandate pilots to sit in the ****pit and engineers to man electric diesels on the railroads: safe interstate commerce. Drivers may very well find themselves migrating into the role of a control operator as cruise control systems get fancier, but they're not going to be removed from the equation.

Secondly, and this is the far more important problem in my book, is the security risk. Smart cars are connected to the Internet of Things. Which means hackers will be salivating to get their mitts on them and make them do stupid things. (Aircraft, oddly enough, are not connected to the Internet in any way that interfaces with their flight control systems. There's a reason for that.) The first time we read headlines about all the smart cars in Detroit suddenly going 90 mph and plowing into traffic, that experiment will be over. And, yeah, I see that happening. It's already part of the conversation in the data security world.

The first place we might see actual autonomous transport vehicles is rail, where it makes the most sense and is easiest to set up. But we're not reading those headlines. I wonder why.

"Autonomous" and "automated" are two different things. Automation will continue to find its way into the cab, and in ways that will make hauling freight safer and easier. Autonomy - the ability to make decisions rather than follow programmed configurations - is still way down the road, so to speak.

In the meantime, autonomous vehicles make for cool headlines and are an interesting project, but they're not a practical solution to commercial freight hauling.

What I would be more inclined to look for is remote control driving via V/R interfacing. Unmanned Commercial Vehicles - controlled by telecommuting drivers sitting in the comfort of their own homes. How about that? And *that* can be done. (But we need a massive data infrastructure upgrade first.)

I'm sorry, but I don't think this is possible. I don't think I've ever seen a smart car do more than 65. ;)

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

Embarrassing, but I gotta fess up

Oh man, if I'd start writing all the stupid **** I did last hitch, my first solo, I'd have to write a novel! Good on you for not just getting out of it, but learning from it. Stay safe!

Prime inc Springfield CDL training 3/6/2017 female student

Congrats! Welcome to the family!

With that being said, what's up with you and Turtle getting brand new trucks and I get Demon Turd?

Well obviously it's because of our sparkling personalities. smile.gif

wtf.gifrofl-1.gif

Prime inc Springfield CDL training 3/6/2017 female student

Congrats! Welcome to the family!

I got my truck!

Congrats, fellow Primeate! When you get your first dispatch, remember to just take a deep breath. You will probably be nervous.

Don't listen to that bubblehead, hold your breath, it makes it more intense!

Congrats!

Solo week!

That first time in trucking is like most "first times". Memorable to say the least.

As for parking, many stops often start filling up as the sun goes down. Here's a tip: use Trucker Path to locate the address you expect to shut down. There should be a few "main" truck stops like Flying J or Loves. But look nearby for "no-name" facilities. Check the reviews and skip over the super negative ones - you'll get a general impression. I have been past "big" truck stops that are full up, and literally across the street is a fine stop with many empty places.

Enjoy your rookie week!!

I added emphasis on this one.

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

Do most truck stop restaurants offer healthy meal choices these days?

Oscar, your posts remind me of some recent folks who've been in here. Everything they posted were researching into the reasons why they did not want to be a truck driver. You've now gone from your distaste for the modern shapes of our trucks to the excessive proportion of fats in our foods. And you even went so far as to worrying about the way our foot pedals are shaped in our trucks. You seem to be either happily unemployed, or just amusing yourself by trolling trucking forums.

Which one is it?

I am serious about considering this job. I am not here to troll but to acquire valuable knowledge.

Forget about the design of gas pedals and such. That was another thread anyway. The purpose there was to make general conversation.

I am the type of man who likes to plan things cautiously and carefully.

Is truck driving even for a health-conscience CAUTIOUS man?

I don't know how to do it yet so that's what I figure this forum is for to ask questions.

I won't HAVE time for crock pots and such out on the highway.

I don't want to be preparing a bunch of meals myself on the road as I feel I must CONSERVE time.

I need as much personal time devoted to physical fitness workouts as possible.

How to back up a truck or shift gears is the least of my worries.

For every 24 hour period I spend out on the road, how many hours of PERSONAL time will I have?

Personal time to eat, shower, sleep, shave, sh_t, get dressed, exercise, check emails and so forth.

10. Maybe. Sometimes 24. A couple times, maybe 8. Who knows? It changes more often than I get to change my drawz. It really all depends on the load.

Seriously man, you are WAY overANALizing this. If you are the type who absolutely has to workout 3 hours a day, eat the absolute freshest healtheist foods, get at least 8 hours of blissful sleep in frilly satin sheets, shower everyday, have earth shattering great sex with Venus twice a day, you're probably not going to survive OTR. For a day.

However, if you can wing things, make do with what you have, improvise to meet needs, solve problems on the fly, and (most importantly) phucking compromise a little, then you're going to do ok out here.

Question for our prime-ates here

I'm trying to envision the mental image Tastebuds had of "blue tiger set"

rofl-3.gifsorry.gif

Well ... blue tiger stripes... honestly that's what I was looking for. I mean, seriously, if I'm describing myself to someone that has never seen me before, I would describe what is DIFFERENT about me and not something small that 60% of the trucker population has. For instance, last night, I would've described myself as long red hair, glasses, light green shirt, and gray shorts and not "the guy with clothes on, an ID badge, and some hair"! I'm sorry Rainy, but I completely didn't get the blue tiger set description...

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

Not looking good for me....

Don't feel bad at all. I recently finished TnT and I'm about to finish up my first solo hitch. Just yesterday I tried backing into a spot at our terminal 3 times before I gave up and went to another spot. Funny thing about it? I was BOBTAILING!

Now that's funny!

(I'm laughing WITH you, not AT you)

rofl-3.gif

Who said I was laughing??!! LMAO In all seriousness, if I couldn't laugh at myself out here, I'd never get to laugh.

Question for our prime-ates here

Tastebuds... Are u in Sprimo? I am right now.

Yeah, thanks to Demon Turd. I'll be leaving sometime after midnight. Wanna meet up?

Just got back from walmart. I'll be in the chairs at the bottom of the stairs blonde with blue tiger set

Be there in a second, finishing up my dinner in the cafe.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Doesn't look like it will happen. I waited over an hour and only saw 1 blonde lady wearing a blue Ron Jon shirt, but she was passing through. There was another lady sitting in the area, but she had a blue shirt with pink pants and neither resembled a "blue tiger set".

Question for our prime-ates here

Tastebuds... Are u in Sprimo? I am right now.

Be there in a second, finishing up my dinner in the cafe.

Question for our prime-ates here

Tastebuds... Are u in Sprimo? I am right now.

Question for our prime-ates here

Thats very true. I just hope he underatands after 3 months straight training. Id like my first or second load to go to my home town to see my family.

They will. I told mine he didn't have to send me home right away as I could make do with what I had. (I wanted to start making MONEY!) My second or third load was home. Mind you, I live in a state that Prime has very few customers in, so it could've been on my first load if I lived in a more freight friendly state.

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

Not looking good for me....

Tastebuds' Totally Truckable Beef Stroganoff

To avoid the skillet, why not use the (Hormel?) Precooked beef tips?

I like browning my own meat, so raw is the way to go for me. But feel free to change it to fit your needs and tastes!