Comments By Danielle

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/show-truck1.jpg avatar
  • Danielle
  • Comments:

New Beginnings Chapter One(Houston Community College

Background check I'm not sure about. I know the first day of class I filled out a paper to have my MVR pulled for my driving record but I'm not 100%sure on the background check however I know that one of the guys in my class did say he has a felony and he just got released in April. He also paid for the courses out of pocket so I don't know if that matters since I applied for the grant thru the school to get funding for the program.

You had to do a background check to get in program? Lady told me that on phone wasn't sure if she was trying to scare me.. What bout the drug test was it hair or urine?

Posted:  5 years, 1 month ago

The job interview starts when...

Thanks G-town for your words of wisdom!

New Beginnings Chapter One(Houston Community College

Day 4 My instructor left early as a matter of fact as soon as we got in class. She said that she wasn't feeling too good and we would have the director of Continuing Education Department sit in with us today. We watched a few videos on combination vehicles and railroad safety then we discussed some of the new technology that the truck driving industry would soon be rolling out or planning to invest in. He had opinions on self driving trucks and stated he doesn't believe he would ever see those in his lifetime but supposedly 2035 self driving 18wheelers. Can you imagine that ? Anyway class was short and not really focused on learning to drive trucks but more of discussing the industry of trucking and its future.

Day 5- 8/7/2017 Today when I got in I saw a note on the board that the class would be meeting in a different room because there was a recruiter in to speak with us. When I got in the room I saw another evening class there along with a few of my class mates. The speaker was from Covenant Transport and she gave us a lot of information about there program. She told us that the company is known for team driving but they also have solo routes. And if you don't have a partner that the company has like a match making site to use to get a partner that has similar habits as you. For instance if you like to run hard you will be matched with a partner that runs hard if you want a female partner that doesn't smoke and has pets then the site would match you with a partner that has some of the same qualities that you desire. I thought that was pretty sweet. Also you are paid as long as the truck moves whether you're driving or sleeping you are getting paid. She had a lot of information and I liked the fact that they don't split the pay just the miles both people will make 0.52/per mile after training. I will do more research on this company because they have a lot of qualities that I may be able to benefit from. Once we finished with the recruiter we went over our study guides on Chapter 1 and 2 of the handbook and learned a lot about the pre trip inspection. I got a link from here that Ive been studying to get more familiar with the pre trip parts. I was thinking of printing it and asking the instructor if I could give a copy to my classmates so that can get familiar also. I printed a copy for myself and I have been reviewing it daily while sitting here at the front desk.

Day 6 8/8/2017 We got to class and had a short discussion on the Training website that we are supposed to do our quizzes on. The instructor sounded a little frustrated as she mention that some of the students hadn't even logged in and she stressed that all 35 chapters had to be completed before the 10/20/17. "My boss is really getting on to me about you guys finishing those quizzes". In my mind I thought to say well if we had classes on Friday we could dedicate that day in the computer lab getting some of the quizzes knocked out but I didn't because I have a computer at home and nothing to do on the weekends so I will be getting at least 20 done this weekend. Besides that She handed out 2 study guides on airbrakes and combination vehicles each study guide has 36 multiple choice questions. All the answers are in the book and I'm actually working on it now at the front desk since I don't have any customers. I decided to update you guys. Yesterday class let out about 7:45pm. I am going to get back to this airbrake study guide and talk to you all later. Have a great Wednesday your guys!!!

New Beginnings Chapter One(Houston Community College

Class is scheduled Monday thru Friday 5:30pm -10:30PM. So I cant understand why we leave at 8:30pm and also No classes are on Friday now thanks to the class. Like I said the Instructor said if we would like to come on Friday we can but I just don't think she will even be there once she finishes her day class. Today after class I am going to ask her if she thinks we should resume classes on Friday because all of our labs are online now and it is part of our grade they no longer use books as of this past September but a lot of guys have not even logged in to the website are quizzes are on I have studied 3 chapters of out 35 myself. But I will complete at least 20 this weekend for sure. I just don't know if its her or the students but we are all new to this Only 1 guy in my class has his class a cdl so I really cant understand why the students would decide this.

That is odd. Was class originally scheduled on Fridays, or was that going to be added on as an extra day? Sure, you have plenty of time to learn the material but I still wouldn't take it too lightly when they start taking away precious learning time. That's just my two cents.

New Beginnings Chapter One(Houston Community College

Day 3 8/3/17. Today was kind of a slow day but a lot of Knowledge was given on trip planning, reading road maps and learning how to get from point a to b when using a road atlas. When I arrived in class the first question the group asked me is would I like to have class on Fridays. My response was it is up to the class. I didn't know that out of the 7 students the majority had already voted to skip classes on Friday. However the instructor stated that If we wanted to still show up we could. I found this kind of odd but at then again we do have a total of 12 weeks to learn the material, shifting, backing, and basic control of the vehicle. I just want to make sure that I focus while I'm there and learn as much as possible. Anyway after the trip planning we watched a video on railroad safety(train vs truck). The video was very interesting. After that, we reviewed our study guide which is 300 questions on just Chapter 1 & 2 of the dps manual. I answered the first 50 questions and I will complete the rest tonight since there is no classes on Friday. Any who just a quick update. Thank you for taking the time to read this. And I would love to continue to hear your feedback and your experiences during your training. Have a great day.

New Beginnings Chapter One(Houston Community College

You're right Trucking Truth is awesome I really mean it when I save I love this site. Yes I am fully dedicated to this and anything I set my mind on I put my heart into it. No half stepping on this end. I just feel like getting my CDL will really change my life mentally physically and financially. Keep studying and quizzing and testing yourself to make sure you have everything down packed. I have a an app called dmv genie and cdl studybuddy which is awesome also. Good Luck!

I guess you can tell I am extremely sleepy by the grammar of my last post lol I just reread it and I apologize I don't know how to edit a post I have already submitted. Tomorrow I will be better thanks goodnight

I'll bet you're tired! That's quite the dedication taking evening classes after work. Good on you, I know it'll be worth it in the end, once you're on the road going solo (or team, if that's what you prefer). I'm taking time after work doing some of the Highroad Training until I head out for my own training and even that is tiring!

New Beginnings Chapter One(Houston Community College

I have never driven a manual shift anything. I have driven a commercial van but it wasn't nearly as big as rig. It was more like a van really.Thats a good point starting in flatbed in the first year to build your confidence. I am sure you can do anything you put your mind too! Good Luck and Godspeed.

Congrats on your journey and I will be following as soon as you start posting!! What school are you attending if you don't mind me asking? Lonestar? Steven's Transport? 12 months is not so bad. Have you ever driven a commercial vehicle before? manual shift vehicle? I wanna know details:)

I don't mind at all! I was considering Lonestar, since I live within a few miles of the CyFair location, but I decided it would be best to go the sponsored route, instead. I'm going to do training up in Iowa with TMC at their own training facility. They only do flatbed, which I hear is harder than dry van, but I figure that if I take a more difficult path my first year, I can make it with more confidence moving forward!

I've never driven a commercial vehicle but I have driven many manual shift vehicles and actually prefer them to automatics. It's been awhile, so I'm sure that I'm a bit rusty but I'll shake that rust off in no time. Heck, my car now doesn't even have gears to switch to! It's a single-gear eCTV transmission.

What about you? Have you ever driven a commercial vehicle or a manual transmission?

New Beginnings Chapter One(Houston Community College

I said the same thing. I also have to factor in that our instructor has a day class from 7:00am-5:00 pm and then we come in @5:30pm to 8:30pm. Not only that but the day class is 6 weeks the evening class is 12 weeks. So we get an extra 6 weeks to learn the material. I am grateful for that!!! bigtime.

Danielle,

I'm glad to see your off to a good start. Just seems odd to me that your instructor is letting you out so early. I would want to be getting the most out of the money I spent.

Hope your day goes well.

Scot

New Beginnings Chapter One(Houston Community College

8/2/2017 Day 3 Our instructor greeted us at the door and told us she would not be staying for tonight but she will see us tomorrow. Another gentleman took over for today and started the class with a video on pre trip inspection and the 7 method Inspection method. The video last about 30 minutes and we watched a couple more videos about road rage and road behavior. After the video we discussed the different weather conditions we could inquire while out on the road. We also watched a video about security and make sure your loads are sealed and locked tight because of theft and other situations that can occur while at truck stops are parked at shippers. Soon after that we were given a study guide over general knowledge and rules and regulations packet to complete while reviewing the book to find the answers. Class ended around 8:30. I'm eager to see what tomorrow may be bring just wanted to give you guys a quick update. Thanks for reading I appreciate your responses and look forward to reading your diaries ttyl goodnight! smile.gifsmile.gif

New Beginnings Chapter One(Houston Community College

8/1/2017 Day 2-(sorry for the late post) I arrived at the college a few minutes early after work to grab a few pamphlets from the job board at the entrance hallway of the school. I have not decided which company I want to start off with but I have been looking at Steven's, Schneider, Maverick and Rohel. We started class with two short videos on space and speed management while driving and backing. The instructor seemed to drag a bit maybe because she was still feeling stuffy from the night before. Which she is human and I don't blame her. She let us know that she had been teaching since 2002 and she hasn't driven (otr) since then so I assume that is why she's not as enthused as say a newbie like me.But again it could have been because she wasn't feeling too hot from allergies. After watching the video out the blue a discussion out of nowhere came about from an older guy who has interrupted the teacher about 24 times in just day 1 and 2 with silly questions that have nothing to do with the subject were discussing(backing &speed management). Why would big trucks have to worry about tailgaters? Can we carry weapons? Would the feds know? why would they care if they did know? questions like that! I literally wanted to say if you just give her a chance to explain she may answer your question but I just maintained a smile and listen to the discussion. After we finished the two videos we answered a study guide the instructor gave us the previous night on the special requirements section of the handbook. Out of 45 questions I had answered 30 of them when I got home on day 1. Special requirements is the first written exam we will takeout of 4 to successfully obtain our clp. The instructor let us know we had to get 16 out of 20 right to move on to the second test general knowledge which we have to get 40 out of 50 then Combination Vehicles 16 out of 20 correct in order to take the last exam which is the air brakes exam and to pass I need to get at least 20 out 25 correct to obtain my class a permit. These next two weeks will be focused on these 4 exams so that I cant take the written test at the dmv no later than 16th of August. The instructor did say we have until the end of August to get our permits so the next half of the course will be focused on learning the shifting and how to maneuver the truck. Class is scheduled until 10:30 p.m. but she let us go at 8:30. Which is good and bad on one hand I feel like that's 1 hour and 1/2 we could be using to learn more and get more familiar with the gauges and pre-trip techniques but on the other hand I just finished 8 hours at an office and I wanna see my shower and bed but either way I am still excited and grateful that I got this opportunity to be able to work and continue to make money while going to cdl school to learn a new trade that can possibly change my life for the better so however she wants to do is fine with me I have been studying this book since November so I know a lot more than I did at first and a couple of apps on my phone help me to get certain things drilled into my brain. so I am good with the pace of the class for the first couple of days. I am just ready to get inside the cab and take a load off sit in the seat look around enjoy that feeling of knowing soon I will be a professional driver.

New Beginnings Chapter One(Houston Community College

Congrats, Danielle! I'm from Houston, too, and am set to start CDL classes in about two weeks! I took the company sponsored route but I think I found a pretty good thing. $300 deposit, of which I get half back and I don't have to repay any tuition, just sign on the dotted line for a 12-month contract. The only downside is that I have to get my own permit before starting.

Anyway, good luck! I'll be following your story and will post mine once things get rolling!

New Beginnings Chapter One(Houston Community College

The pleasure is all mine @918girl. Thank you for reading!

Congratulations Danielle and thank you for sharing your journey with us!

Posted:  5 years, 1 month ago

Six month clock started........

Bumber is right I know how youre feeling I literally had 2 beers everyday after work for 3 years straight. Honestly it got to the point where I felt like I couldn't sleep well unless I had a couple cold ones to soothe me. That's bad but its true. But I have not had one beer in about 2 months and its hard but trucking is what I want to do. in the beginning of quitting I literally take a alieve pm to fall asleep but now im good. You can do it even with pot! just put your mind to quitting and I know you got this if you really wanna quit!!! its hard as hell but I know you can do it. the reward will be greater in the end.

New Beginnings Chapter One(Houston Community College

Thanks Scott! Classes are set to end 10/20/17.

Danielle

Good luck on your trainining! I will be following to see how your training goes.

How long is training since you are going evenings?

Scot

New Beginnings Chapter One(Houston Community College

Hello to all my fellow newbies! Today was the first day of starting a beautiful new journey and hopefully a long time career that I have been waiting for over a year now. A little bit about me before I give you all the details of my first official day as a trainee. I am a 28 year single female with no children. I currently work as a receptionist with a state agency here in Houston. I have been doing customer service/administrative work since I was 18 and my passion has always been resolving issues,customer service, and helping others but lately the office scene has grown extremely boring, and it seems that at least for about 6 months I have dreaded going in to work dealing with quotas, paperwork, an somewhat of unpleasant supervisor,bickering customers, and a monthly salary that made it nearly impossible to survive especially without another source of income to go with it. I literally felt like I was working only to pay bills.One day watching a couple of vlog videos I ran across a male trucker (I wont mention his name) who was venting and expressing how trucking changed his life. The situations and scenarios he spoke about was like if he found a book about me and read thru chapters of my life. it seemed as if he was talking directly too me. I am person who enjoys traveling and driving (especially in a lite rain, call me weird but its true) and like I said I don't have any children that have to be settled in one state. trucking intrigued me and I had to find out what is was all about. So I did my research on this industry. And you must know there's no way you can research about the trucking industry and not find this website. so for a while I have been coming here reading the diaries, doing the practice test, and gathering information on different companies that will accept me right out of school. I have learned a lot from all of you and I thank you for sharing your experiences with newbies wanting to take a leap of faith into a new career and fellow drivers who have questions or just maybe wanna let you know what's going on with them. You guys keep it all the way real and that's what I love the most about this site. Man this site is really the bomb!!!!! any who during my research and figuring out how I Wanted to obtain my cdl I called the community college and figured out that tuition was $3500. That amount would include permit fees, written exam fees, licensing fees and also the schools tuition fee($3150). The other option besides paying out of pocket was to wait 6 months on the financial aid grant list. The only requirement was to be in compliance with fafsa.( federal student aid department) so I submitted a financial aid application went to the school and filled out paperwork to get on the financial aid grant list. (January 2017) during the 6 month waiting period I don't wanna say that I harassed there office but I made them remember my name when I called to check the status of weekly they knew my voice. so around about 06/20/2017 one of the program coordinators called me and said my name was selected and I could start 07/31/17. so finally..... today is the day that I started class yayyyyyyy!

Thefirst day wasn't anything special. There were only 7 students in the class all men but the instructor was a female. which it doesn't matter to me either way I just wanna learn how to drive that truck proficiently. Today was really about the paperwork. The instructor didn't really feel pretty good due to allergies and said that we would probably be leaving early. so when class started she had us go around the room and say what made us decide to do trucking and what type of lane we would like to run and why(local, dedicated, otr etc). She also gave us a brief description on airbrakes testing and pointers to remember while testing. One thing she advised us on that made sense was watch the wording for the test questions because dps can get kinda sneaky with the wording and moving to fast may cause simple mistakes like do you agree December has 31 days? and how many months have 28 days?? what's your answer? Mine was 1 I shouted it like I was right too lol all months have 28 days see listen to the question or read the question carefully before answering. last question! how many sets of animals did Moses bring on the arc??? what's your answer? mine was 1 set of each animal?? WRONG!!!! Moses didn't bring any Noah did!! I shouted that wrong answer too. lol That not only made me pipe down for the remainder of the class lol but it help me realize her point. anywho I still work 8-5 and class starts @5:30pm so for now I am going to close the first page to this chapter. Hope you guys stay with me throughout the training phase and there after see you tomorrow. goodnight!

STICK OR AUTOMATIC

Not the selling point for me just wondered people's preference. I don't mind what I drive as long as I'm running making miles and getting this money. but I appreciate your 0.02 driver.. I did ask for it and I'm glad you commented on this post.valuable feedback indeed I'm ready!

Manual all day every day. I just got a truck with an 18 speed and couldn't be happier. Maybe they're nice going down mountains, but I haven't had any problem with a manual as long as the jakes work well, and city traffic with a manual has never bothered me -- not LA, not Houston, not Chicago, not Atlanta -- so I've never had a desire to try an auto-shift, since that seems to be the big selling point from the driving side of things.

My $0.02, since you asked.

STICK OR AUTOMATIC

I will be starting at Houston Community College 07/31/2017. If you have seen my previous post I am a little concerned about learning the gear shifts However I'm not too nervous because I know if any of you can do it I can too. Just gotta focus, pay attention, and pay more attention lol. But Im curious to my new drivers and seasoned drivers which do you prefer and why stick or automatic. I know a lot of companies are now switching their fleet over to automatic trucks..let me know your opinions guys! thanks. Also send up a prayer for me if you will. I'm going to take my dot test tomorrow.

CRST Expedited Trucking School and training program Cedar Rapids, IA. A (re) training diary by millionmiler24

5. Pre Trip Inspection guidelines_ YOU WILL NOT NEED TO STUDY THIS TO GET YOUR PERMIT, BUT IT IS SOMETHING YOU WILL HAVE TO MEMORIZE WORD FOR WORD - ITS NEVER TOO EARLY TO BEGIN

Is it possible to email a copy of the pre trip inspection guide. I have studied the manual from cover to cover and the pretrip is the only thing I am worried about. seeing as I have never been inside a truck and I am planning on starting school 09/2017. If it Is not a problem I would like to get a copy of the pre-trip or information on where I can find pre-trip inspection list/guide to study before school comes around I want to memorize it completely before going to cdl school. I loving reading these journal entries it gets me super pumped knowing that Ill be there in the very seat that you're sitting in. I look forward to reading your diary be safe pay attention and make us (your trucking truth family) proud! Godspeed!

CFI company sponsored training through Truck Dynasty Driving Academy

This is a great diary. I love the detail and how you give insight on the company and the company sponsored training. Keep it up and be safe driver!!!!