Profile For Rod B.

Rod B.'s Info

Sarasota, FL

Preparing For School

5 years, 4 months ago

Rod B.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Dac Report????

Rick, Thank you for your response. I just did not know how it all worked. I did tell the private company i changed my mind and they weren't too nice about it but i gotta do whats best for me.

A private trucking school - is NOT A TRUCKING COMPANY. They won't/can't report to DAC. The only possible exception would be, if you FAILED A DOT DRUG SCREEN.

DAC is a record of EMPLOYMENT in the trucking industry.

As far as any FINANCIAL OBLIGATION to the school - it depends on how the contract is written, and perhaps what your state laws are in regards to "rescission periods" on contracts. In Florida for example - it's 72 hours.

If you haven't actually started school - you might be able to cancel the contract. Best bet - if you have decided to accept training/employment with a company, is to CALL the school and tell them of your change in plans.

Rick

Dac Report????

I haven't gotten a CDL yet and only state permit, do i have a DAC yet? I signed up to a local private trucking school that was gonna cost me 5k, went in and signed papers. Soon after a company called me and said they have a FREE cdl school and will hire me pending i pass, can the private school do anything due to me signing papers? I did not attend ANY days with private school.

Starting my career next Monday!

I saw that but figured "what the hell?" If they never call i would be where i started, luckly i applied.

So i got a call from a recruiter a week or so ago asking me if i was still interested in driving, i told her yes i was but i do not have a CDL and only have a permit. Long story short they set me up with schooling and a regional job where i run mostly southern states (works great because i live in Florida) and i would be home on the weekends. I can't wait for the journey that awaits me but i gotta admit, im pretty damn excited!

Good to know as Cypress says on their website that one needs 6mos experience *OR* graduation from a school and a CDL-A.

Another reason to apply everywhere!

Cypress

Starting my career next Monday!

I appreciate the advice. Gonna keep my nose cleave and hopefully i wont hit anything

Good luck....please remember that your CDL is your professional degree, pre trip. post trip, hos. logs. weights, keeping it clean will make you priceless

Starting my career next Monday!

They seem like a good company to haul for. Im just exited to get it going.

When I live in South Carolina, They were on my list as a potential company to train with.

Starting my career next Monday!

Cypress/Sunbelt out of Jacksonville in Fla.

That is awesome!!! Congrats!!

Which company?

Starting my career next Monday!

Cypress Truck Lines/Sunbelt Trans.

Hey, did you go to Cypress CDL school or did you get your license prior to joining them? How do you like it so far?

Orientation finished off today 1700 went real swell the last week, some portions of orientation went by a bit too fast.(..considering Monday was a holiday) Over-all went real good! There is alot of real good guys willing to share there experiences & whatnot, always willing to help - no question is a stupid question. Very professional business, very safe style of how they preform there work(flatbedding is no joke!!!) from what I've seen they like to keep there trucks rolling(good!) orientation is payed, with meal and board to boot... Not too shabby!! They have pretty competitive pay considering I have low to no time experience with these majestic beasts of the open road.. REGIONAL TOO!! I've never done 'OTR' but starting regional for me is awesome! Seeing that I'd like to see my family every weekend, sweet!! There fleet looks great! The 'top performers' & seniorities get the brand new peterbilts and internationals.. But there used fleet isn't the worst! I don't have enough input for much more then what I have seen... But it looks great! Just wanted to help someone's decision in choosing a career at Cypress Truck Lines/Sunbelt Trans. Thanks for reading! -Diesel

Misdemeanor gun charge and getting CDL training

I was at Prime just over a month ago, one. Thing they were very clear about was being upfront on your application. If you dont put it in the application they will find out. I saw alot of people get sent home for "forgetting about something" like i said just call them up and ask but as Rainy mentioned, Prime does not play around with Charges like that or pending charges even if its a misdemeanor. Anything under 5 years will be frowned upon.

Misdemeanor gun charge and getting CDL training

Just call the recruiter and ask them, i do believe with a charge pending it might be a no-no. They are pretty strict when it come to stuff like that

Making Life decisions over here!

Funny you say that, while i was at work i drove past Sysco in palmetto and stopped in to ask questions, really liked what i heard and figured i get 1 year experience and try to get hired there. They are at the top of my list.

Rod, I live not too far from ya and understand how ya feel about not being able to afford rent. I work at the Sysco Foods just outside palmetto (just off 275 and highway 41). If your willing to do manual labor they're hiring part time order pickers (selectors) for 17 an hr and you'll make more depending how hard you work (incentive pay), be full time (WITH BENEFITS!) if you prove your hard worker. You should be able to go through the "dock to driver"program after 9 months which pays even better than warehouse. Drivers make 23 an hour, PLUS extra for each stop, per mile, as well as each case. In warehouse my first full year i made just under 60k, most drivers are now making 80k after recent raise.

Tennessee truck driving school

Cool, thanx for the reply. So if we dont have hazmat you dont get the miminum?

Tennessee truck driving school

Douglas, Was the minimum pay of the 450 for the first 35 days and 700 for the next 240 days true? If so was it per driver or 700 total per team a week minimum? Thanks.

I just went through their program, sponsored by Covenant Transportation. I am very pleased with their program and the trainers. They also have a school in north Carolina and one in Tampa (the one in Tampa is "Tampa Truck Driving school")

They take anybody from out of state and will even house you in an apartment with washer, dryer, and a full kitchen. They even supply toilet paper and basic household supplies. You just have to get there and have a way to feed yourself while you are there.

The program cost me 4300 dollars in total for three weeks of training. If you don't have the cash you have other options. You can make a down payment and go with one of the companies they have that will payroll deduct 75 a week to pay off the loan (which is in house btw), or go with one of their 3 companies that will cover the upfront costs. (Covenant, Total Truck Driving, or Steven's Transportation, they all have you sign a 6 month promissory note, but do not pull you cdl if you move to another company). The school won't pull your cdl either, however they will not release your certificate to you until your paid off. I chose covenant for reasons that aren't pertinent to this post and they have tuition reimbursement which when combined with my 75 a week will pay off the school in 6 months.

They will help with job placement for life and even have a student support line for any question you might need to ask while you are getting started in trucking. All of the instructors are former drivers and one man in particular had 24 years of driving experience and a lot of interesting stories.

The equipment they have you driver in the yard for backing maneuvers is old and raggedy. This kind of put me off, but why have new trucks to teach students how to drive. Plus fighting those beasts into submission made me feel like I'm driving a cadilac once I got into Covenants truck.

3 weeks seems like a short time to learn what you need to pass the cdl exam, but if you give it 100% you can do it. The school doesn't give up if you fail either, they will work with you on what you need help with and make sure you pass.

Anyways, that's my summary of the school I went to. I can answer any questions if I have the answer to them.

Making Life decisions over here!

Man, i really appreciate that.

From someone who has been that kid, whos dad was OTR all the time, or male figure was. I say do it. as long as when your home, your with him. and that you make sure you actually go home. when my dad came home I didn't care that he was gone for weeks at a time, all I cared about was spending time with him. You have to understand those days when your totally exhausted, and just beat for, driving for 4 weeks, you still have to give him 100% cuz your time is limited. try to make it so you can be home in time for some of his games, or events he is interested in. its not a big deal you miss some here or there, but don't miss them all.

Again this was my experience as the kid. you boy may be very different. I myself don't have kids, and I am heading into this industry to do OTR. however I do not plan on renting an apt until I stop doing ITR, when I have to shut down ill be a hotel guy, or stay in the truck. that's 1100 a month fo savings you would not have spend. so you can take your boy to go do something cool, when you do come home.

Making Life decisions over here!

Haha, funny thing is i told him about it today and thats the first thing he said, "when can i ride in it!!!???" I totally understand that the next year i would see him very little but i would rely on technology to see him via facetime and give him a map so he can mark everyday where i am.

Take it for what's it worth (only my own decision) but i am leaving a job that pays 18.56 an hour for Truck Driving. Chase your dreams and provide for that boy....the insurance alone is a big deal...and once you get established...he is going to totally LOVE riding with daddy on summer vacation.

Making Life decisions over here!

I appreciate the advice. Where i live cheapest you can get into is a one bedroom for around 1,100 a month and after the regular bills and uncle sam i come up short. Her and i have talked and i would get 50/50 back around whatever local job i get. I also have looked into going to school but with the payments i have to give her to provide for him it makes it impossible to go to school full time. Im not rulling anything out tho and you did make some great points.

If you're working 40hrs a week, you're making just under $36,000/year with no benefits (17 x 40hrs x 52weeks). How does that not provide enough to rent an apartment?

You can make that in your first year of truck driving and have benefits. However, you'll see your son A LOT LESS and if $36k isn't enough to pay for an apartment, you'll be no closer to that objective.

If your ex takes your son 100% of time while you start your driving career, when do you ever expect to get back to 50/50 custody? Even after a year OTR what kind of driving job do you expect will accommodate single parenting?

Have you looked into warehouse work (e.g. Forklift Operator)? Maybe for Publix, Winn Dixie, Coca Cola or a beer distributor?

Are there education funding opportunities that might get you into a trade or business program (hey, if she's gonna watch the kid for a while might as well consider all possibilities) that would put you into a career (maybe medical)?

I did the part-time Dad thing while in the military. I'm doing it again in trucking (with a 9year old little girl) and it sorta sucks, but I do what I gotta to provide for my family.

Mostly I think you have to decide what your objectives are and then take the actions that accomplish those.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Making Life decisions over here!

Let me explain my dilemma. I am single father of a wonderful 7 year old boy and we live in Sarasota Florida. I have a decent job making 17 an hour but i get ZERO benefits and ZERO sick/pto time off (not a biggy but with a child can be challenging). Also im in the pressure washing buisness which is hot and cold at times so its hard to budget. Ive come to a point that i cannot afford to rent a apartment (in my area). I either make to much for low income or too less for whats around here.i would move if i could, but i have 50/50 custody of my son and mom has a high paying job at the hospital so she ain't moving anytime soon.so i got to thinking, Ive always loved driving, heck i currently tow a goosneck around daily without a problem and i figured why not look into driving trucks? My thoughts is that i understand i have to do OTR first but i have hopes to land a local job after a year or so of experience and hopefully be able to afford a place of my own and get some benefits. I understand the first year ill be gone most of it and i understand its a huge lifestyle change. Im really thinking about this to provide for my boy because he is all i got. My ex wife said she is willing to keep him for a year 100% of the time so i can persue this. My question is, should i give up the 17 hour job to go after a trucking career with hopes it will pay in the long run? Are my goals realistic?

Covenant transport guarantee training pay??

So covenant transport is stating that they will pay me 525 a week (with hazmat) for the first 35 days and $700 a week minimum for the next 90 days @ 42cpm. So my question is, is that 700 for the team to split or 700 per driver? Also anyone with experience with them, is that really how it worked?

I have a 7 year old boy that i have to provide for while im away getting experience and i have to get my numbers right before leaving. Thank you all for any info.

Tennessee truck driving school

Cool thanks man, i really appreciate the response, i gotta do some research about them since i live near tampa Florida.

Correct. At least until you get a certain amount of time in, can't remember how much. But after 90 days you can transfer to either Star transportation or Southern Regrigerated Transport through Covenant as they own those companies. I went with star. I've been driving four months in total and I have a dedicated run, home every weekend and I make .40 a mile. I don't know what SRT offers though

Thank you for the reply, so they only do teams?

Hey, im looking at starting with Tampa truck driving school on monday and hauling for covenent, so far do you like the company you chose? Making a living?

Well, Covenant isn't a bad company and you can make good money there. They will keep you moving. They have decent equipment as well. I've left there though because I didn't like team driving.

Tennessee truck driving school

Thank you for the reply, so they only do teams?