Comments By BillTheSlink

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/bigrig9.jpg avatar

Differences between and uses of drop yards and terminals

Mister B Be sure and let us know how you get along with Roehl. It's in the top tier of companies that I am interested in. The fact they have a drop yard in my hometown is pushing me towards them. I am willing to bet it might make the trip from my last stop until home time a paying trip every now and again. That and the fact you're a paid employee from day one might just make them edge out Prime.

One thing I did notice in your post is you never mentioned The High Road training aid for your permit. You do know at Roehl you need that before you show up? That is unless I am confusing them with a different company. Search for Roehl on TT reviews of company sponsored schools to confirm that.

Having a truck without an APU

Be careful with the heater. They are power hungry. Most heaters for use in the home are rated at 1500 watts. I have no idea what special heaters might be out there for trucks.

Company Driver's Perspective for Prime Inc.

I am glad to here this.

Having a truck without an APU

Not4Hire:

You're an amateur radio (ham) operator aren't you? I have been one for about 25 years and never have I ran into someone who didn't work in the electronics field be able to pull those formulas out of their hat on a moment's notice unle4ss they were a ham.

Newbie question of the day Roehl and Primates

Yes and yes for Prime.

Cool. I'm a hopeless addict. Can anyone answer for Roehl?

Company Driver's Perspective for Prime Inc.

Does Prime like really, really presure you into taking a lightweight tractor, or is it left up to you? I understand there is a cent or two incentive but I would be willing to accept that as I want a Bassett Hound and could use the extra space.

Newbie question of the day Roehl and Primates

Every day brings a new question to ask and I have begun a notebook. Today's question is about smoking. At Prime you can request a smoking and nonsmoking trainer. Roehl doesn't mention this at all. I know that Prime's policy could just mean you don't want to get trapped next to one of us stinky smokers who burned one at the trunk stop. Are you allowed to smoke in the truck and especially when driving?

First year pay totals with Prime

Google "take home pay calculator" and chose the one by ADT. IT won'the handle PER DIEM pay but you can put in pretax deductions like health insurance and such and will give you a rough estimate based on dependants.

SAPA Gainesville, GA is SLOOOOWWWWWW!

Curious, what does SAPA stand for?

Good old truck music for all the trucking

There has been stuck in my head for the past week the refrain of which was 18 Wheels and a Dozen Roses and it was sung by a woman. I don't know if that's the title. I was young when it came out. No doubt it'seems the Good Lord's way of reminding me valiant Ines day is Tuesday.

27 yr old swm interested in otr

I'm definitely going to do a few home kits and maybe even a full lab sample before I go apply anywhere.

There's an outfit locally called LabCorp, I think it's under $80. If that's what it takes to avoid a 5 year problem, then that's what it takes. They say 3 months on hair, so I'm thinking I'll shave in two months then wait 3 more. I should be thoroughly upset with the Florida sun by then. My current job sucks in the summer especially, so I'll be ready to leave this chapter behind.

Thanks everyone for the input, in the meantime I'll be working on customizing my Atlas, studying the high road and minimizing my belongings to obtain a storage unit and ditch the room I've been renting.

My mom is going to kill me for making her watch my dog for weeks at a time, but I'll finally be able to buy her that fence for the back yard.

Hay! It sounds like you are making strides to really turn your life around. You have a plan and a fighting sprite and that's half the battle. Keep up the good work.

You mentioned a dog. Some companies allow pets. Most set weight limits, but they're are a couple listed here as anything goes. Someone will be along with a link. I don'the know how to do that. All will require you to leave rover at home while training and some will make you wait some time or miles before you can take him abord.

Good luck.

Going to school

Not that it matters but curious, will my drivers license be transfered? Kinda plan to relocate to CO later on anyway possibly. I live in and drive a short school bus that I converted to a tiny home so relocating anywhere would be just a matter of driving there. Not taking it with me yet due to funding this portion of the journey. Thank you much for the info.

Tim, not to high jack your thread, but how do you find places legal for a tiny home? I will be selling this house when I do leave for school and what it would bring would just be enough to cover one. Anywhere I have checked around here they're not legal in the building codes. I am going to mostly live out of my truck but have learned I must have a physical place to call home to be legal. I won't be in it much, so a set up like yours might be the thing for me. I can be emailed at NO_BillTheSlink@SPAM_fuse.net

Remove no spam and underscores

Roehl home time

Roehl even says on their website the special home time schedules are mainly intended for people easing into retirement or have other income steams like military retirement.

27 yr old swm interested in otr

Two things. Congrats on giving up the weed. I know it is not like coming of heroine or crack, but I know people who just didn't have the backbone to do it. I worked for a non-profit that provided career counceling guidenice and help find people jobs and you will not believe the people who blew golden opportunities with great jobs just because they wouldn't leave the wacky tobacco alone. I myself gave up my prescription pain killer for my bum ankle the Dr. has had me on forever because it is my understanding you can't take them and drive a truck even if prescribed. The other thing is that you can by drug tests at the major pharmacys. At CVS the one they sell has a picture of a teenage boy on it. There are two different ones that test for different drugs so read it over for the one that applies to you. I am pretty sure it's a hair test because it is designed to test teens without them knowing it.

Advice on getting back into trucking as a new driver!

You've already been told to try back at Roehl so I won't restate the obvious, but there was something I wanted to say based on my past experience as a career councilor. You said you were concerned with using Roehl as a reference if you go to a new place. Do not try to get on some place without stating you were an employee of Roehl. It will be found out and omitting this from your work history will be an automatic disqualifier. Even in non-transportation fields all they have to do to find out every job you have had is by running a Social Security report. In the transportation industry they use something call HireRite and it shows up everything and your CDL work history. If you hide anything you will be denied employment. It would be far better to acknowledge it upfront and explain what happened to a recruiter. I mean "stuff happens" but if you're honest about it you have a good shot of making a comeback.

CR England is getting sued...

I looked at and read the article twice. It seems the ALLEGATION is that C.R. England trained them and then got them to sign a lease on a truck with the promise they would be able to haul loads with C.R. England and were denied the opportunity. If that be true then I can see where the case has merit.

How to handle voting and place of residence when...

Problem was solved with the information Rick gave on some states having special provisions for travelers. I Google something along the lines of States with easy residential requirements for travelers and with the help of some R.V. group found it was easy as pie to establish residential status in of all places....FLORIDA. Talk about swing states being important LOL. rofl-2.gif and no state income tax either. Even gave a list of re-mailers that qualify as street addresses. Looks like we might be "neighbors" Rick.rofl-3.gifthank-you.gif

How to handle voting and place of residence when...

You are going to have to "establish a domicile" SOMEWHERE - for the purpose of license, taxes and voting, etc.

Folks that are going to be 100% "homeless" still have to license to SOME ADDRESS - and that would preferably be in a state that has NO PERSONAL INCOME TAXES. Why pay taxes for services you aren't going to be utilizing?

Something to also note - as it pertains to PER DIEM PAY - and PER DIEM DEDUCTIONS. You need to have SOMEWHERE you can (prove) is "home" for the purposes of taking the per diem deduction from your taxes. This deduction is for expenses when AWAY FROM HOME. Don't have a HOME (even if it's a friend/relative where you get mail, who will say you rent a room from them to establish domicile/residency) - you CANNOT LEGALLY TAKE THE DEDUCTION. This could be problematic if you are with a company that MAKES YOU TAKE PART OF YOUR PAY PER DIEM - as you MAY NOT BE WITHHOLDING ENOUGH TAXES, to cover your tax burden if you CANNOT LEGALLY TAKE THE DEDUCTION. Something to consider - maybe not right this second - but in planning for how you are going to deal with "establishing a domicile" in the future.

There are some states that allow "travelers" (truckers, full time RV'ers) to establish residency/domicile.

Rick

That is darn good information. There are some things there I never considered, or knew about.

If worse comes to worse I will get one of those new "Tiny Houses" which can be anything from a Yurt, to an RV, to a little miniature house on wheels and find some place legal to stick it.

How to handle voting and place of residence when...

Also, have you considered finding a real estate company to rent out your home and manage the rental? That way you have an income, address and someone to watch over the house.

No one would rent this house, unfortunately. It needs a lot of work and I have exactly no money to fix it up, not even paint the walls which have twenty years of nicotine stain on them. It's only worth 10-15 thousand.

I am not exaggerating about the house being stripped either. My no good drug head neighbor would see the dumpster I would rent to throw the junk out in (Grandma was a bit of a hoarder), realize I was moving, and as soon as I was seen not to come home for two days tops he would strip everything. He has stripped the only other two neighbor's houses around me. I never seen him or obviously I would have reported him, but it had to be him because they were stripped the day after the one moved and the other died. We live in a "wilderness" area for lack of a better term and there was no one else around to have seen those two events.

@Rainy Do Prime drivers get back to Springfield enough to pick up their mail in a reasonable amount of time?

Truck drivers with weapons permits

Communist territory? Your president is in bed with Putin

99.9% of all companies prohibit firearms on their vehicles. Likewise with shipper and receivers.

So - while FEDERAL LAW does not prohibit personal firearms in a CMV, company policies do. If you get caught - you will be FIRED.

That, and there's the issue of CWP reciprocity between states. My Florida is good except for in the communist territories (the Northeast, Chicago, Cali, etc.).

Even if you are licensed, even if you choose to ignore company policy - you run a severe risk having a pistol in states where you are not reciprocal or worse - illegal.

As far as Pepper Spray - laws on carrying those vary from state to state.

Rick

Not commenting on the merits of whether or not aforementioned states are communist territory, I just wanted to point out Putin isn't a communists by definition. It is true he is on the left when it comes to his beliefs in entitlements, but he is a nationalist first and foremost which is anathema to communists. He is closer to being far right than far left.