Comments By Kat H.

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19399237_1606952842650928_5526933560075608175_n.jpg?oh=2631163444031b29c213a4527ab0d3e7&oe=59C430E9 avatar
  • Kat H.
  • Comments:

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

Best Phone Dock or Mount for truckers

I would like to know your best experience and phone dock/mount solutions. What is your experience and what advantages have you found? What disadvantages? Does a charger need to be part of it or is there another and better solution?

I think I'd like one that connects to the windshield but holds the phone (with out shifting!) below the dash to my right and not obstructing indicators. Something sturdy that keep that phone in place.

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

Turned Down By Roehl CDL school

I am sorry to hear that.

But things can turn in your favor- don't give up.

I was also turned down by the first company I approached. In retrospect it is the best thing that could have happened. Do your research and find out how much you'll be owing if you do get accepted. Also be vry aware what kind of contract you may be asked to sign. Chances are if they disqualify you in the midst of training- you will have a huge debt without a job.

My plan is to take each step independently. Get my DOT medical - get my permit in hand - register at a CLD School of my choice - pass my test and then look look for a company to train with. Then go OTR solo asap

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

Crossing to and from Canada

I am currently a permanent resident- In about a month I plan on being both

What do truck drivers do on their 34 hour reset time?

If I'm not home, I'll watch tv, cook, read, do laundry, clean my home-- er I mean truck, go shopping if i can, hang with friends or coworkers, do my nails, etc.

smile.gifdancing-dog.gif

Crossing to and from Canada

@ not4hire Thanks for the answers!

Re - Pre-employment Screening Program

I am reporting from a actual check that was done- there was nothing- zero

or am I being led down a garden path?

Re - Pre-employment Screening Program

I have absolutely nothing recorded on any Pre-employment Screening Program.

How will a potential company view that in considering hiring me?

Crossing to and from Canada

Additional questions-

1 - does having citizenship in both countries have an advantage?

2 - what might I expect if I wish to base from Canada and have to transfer license?

3 - could one technically live in Canada and work in the US ( or vise-versa) or would it require maintaining 2 residences?

Podcast 10: Terminal Rats Are Derailing Trucking Careers

Thanks for the info! as always I am aware that sometimes- or rather make that most times you have to wade past the rats to get to your goal. I expect to "muck" through!

I've decided on school and am getting a real world look at trucking

What factored into when you chose the school? I have a choice of 3 local ones- one has the features of a driving simulation- somehow that calls to me. Pices vary because of extra features here. I just wonder what you considered in making your choice.

Pre-trip inspection practicing

@Old School awsome- no I had not found that- but have is book marked for sure!

@ChefsJK Great tip, thanks- yes I have a cheatsheet- and, Im not quite there yet! Just checking ahead_ you know- like good drivers do!

Can you take dump while driving? I know it's nasty but I was thinking...

Utube has amazing resources! I watch so much on there and a lot of it is really good sound advice I came across a couple that seem to have it all figured out! check them out here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wq15df5olQ&list=LLNb46sGdULWH-kwkZQBCrzg&index=10

they use a bucket and it works just fine for them- enjoy!

Pre-trip inspection practicing

I know this is this covered at length in a school setting. is one given plenty opportunity to practice the knowledge and skills?

I know there are endless videos demonstrating how to do it right. It good to watch these- and I wonder how does one practice the routine. I would like to be able to take a number of "runs" with someone who could test me BEFORE taking that real test.

I apologize if this has been answered, I did not find a direct answer.

Thinking like a TRUCKER!! -my intro

OH! I almost forgot- THANK YOU for all the amazing and wonderful resources here! This site rocks! and there are so many amazing people here!

Thinking like a TRUCKER!! -my intro

Hello! I am new here and have lurked and read and even joined in a discussion or 2 here. I am so glad I discovered Trucker Truth The people here are so friendly and helpful

I am 64 years young, All my life I have desired to drive a big truck. Most of my life I have accomplished other things and have done them well. I was told from the beginning that women don't drive trucks and my passion has never before had a chance to take off.

Now I am here, and I bring with me many "reasons" that others tell me still to this day will disqualify me. You see- I am in a position that I don't need the income to survive- income is a bonus! My goal is to be an OTR driver, solo with nothing and no one to to be accountable to in a relationship. I have relationships, don't get me wrong- I am happy with them. I relish the thought of living independently- just me and my truck-home. and maybe someday a dog-pal.

Open roads to drive and loads to deliver safely and on time. Any company and dispatcher will know I will dependable and can be counted on for top-notch safety. with accurate attention to every detail. And I am happy to say that everything is falling into place exactly as it needs to.

I first applied to take training through a "we train" company and was denied. By the time I got the denial, I was really thinking that I DIDN'T wish to go that route. I read here and elsewhere that training is rushed and in man cases poor and incomplete. In all cases rushed. And a debt-load to boot. I also I have some personal work to do. Such as regaining my physical strength, and preparing for the mental challenges that might await me. Thing that require a bit of time and hard work. Mostly determination.

I drive a lot! In 45 plus years of driving I have only had 1 accident that was my fault. and one that was entirely the other person. less than 6 moving or other violations!. My self-taught mechanical dad taught me. He insisted I learn on a standard because I would never forget how. I drove 3 ton trucks, and very large tractors. I even learned to double clutch! The biggies and mist important that has stuck with me all my life is he told me "Always drive like you are delivering a full open pail of fresh milk on the floor of the passenger side." I learned to corner, slow down and gain speed with this in mind. His rule has served me well.

What I find fascinating now is my desire to become a real trucker has made me think and act like a trucker now in all aspects of my day to day driving and I find myself thinking and driving thinking like a trucker in every situation. In my mind there is no doubt- I can and will accomplish my dream.

Thanks for listening! smile.gifsmile.gif

An important Question for ALL the drivers

It is my understanding that you must be in possession of a green card to work PERIOD!

Passed the road test!

Wow! So happy for you!! One day I will be making a similar announcement!

Recent personal vehicle rear end accident. No one will give me a chance...

I am very happy to have found this thread. I had similar thing now very close to 3 years ago. One company told me I had to be clear by 5 years. I know what happened then and in no way will be repeated. Circumstances in life cause one to allow regrettable choices that you seriously can learn from so as to never be placed in similar, and learn how to make better choices.

I am at the beginning stages of a driving career, that I WANT very much. I am determined to work through this and would like to be able to prove myself the best drive any company is seeking. One who constantly moves forward in life with awarenes taught from lessons of the past.

I wish you the best in becoming accepted. I will be watching this thread for expected good outcome!

Need Help!!!

I am sorry you are going through such a time as this. I have been in relationships that I had expectations from and they were either delusions in my own mind or the other person needed to take a radical turn away from the way the relationship became established.

I always began looking to see what I could do- you know- to fix things. And I would do everything I could. Some things helped. But, only a little. In the end even no responses and vague ones are very much responses. They may not what you wish to hear. In fact likely not.

You have to learn to be independent of ANY! relationship. This was the most difficult thing I had to learn. I didn't want to. For years I struggled and resisted. The more I tried to "fix" the more I became broken.

Then I learned the key. I only had to become a best version of me. I didn't even think I could be anyone outside of a relationship. I discovered in the end I didn't know me. And I thought I could only be fulfilled by some one outside of me. My neediness in fact was a red flag to all. All I attracted was sympathy and more misery. I had no dreams, no desires I could remember, and no joy. My heart and my spirit were broken. I was crushed.

As I began to find and discover who I was created to be, I became a bit more hopeful, but very slowly and painfully. As I followed my hope I found some joy. Then I would discover another. Then as I found a bit more, I began attracting more. Now I have a hope and renewed dreams. They are all from within. I feel so blessed when someone outside of me can see, and encourages me. But in general that is not the case. Many would rather see me stay the way I was, and not change their rules for me.

I am in no way discouraging you to end, or not keep your relationship. I wish you only the very best. I also see how you are focused on him and not you. You are the most important! You need to let, and allow things to be as they are. You can not change them. Circumstances will always be there. Learn to find your own bliss, and you will find your joy. The Universe is unlimited and it gives you exactly what you are projecting. If you worry, you will have more things to worry about. If you have doubts, you will feed more doubt.

I would be happy to point you to the resources I have found extremely helpful, if you like. And/or share more of my journey so others can benefit and find a fulfilled life sooner than I did. Just PM me or leave a note.

Proud new owner of a CDL

WAY TO GO!!!