Profile For Bradley M.

Bradley M.'s Info

Rookie Team Driver

2 years, 6 months ago

Bradley M.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  1 year, 5 months ago

CRST Questions

Like the other replies have mentioned team driving has ups and downs.

It is nice to have an extra set of hands and eyes at times. We would cook just before shift change so you had hot food.

The cab is pretty small for two adults. You have to deal with personality clashes.

If you can find a partner during school that is good.

You get paid for half the miles driven. Make sure you are getting the veteran pay rate. That is what pushed me to crst. It was at least 50% greater then anyone else.

Bradley

I was looking at CRST and my only reservation is team driving. I can get along with most anyone so that is not necessarily the concern. How was that overall for you? Also, how does the miles/pay work? Seems like I have seen multiple sites say different things on how teams are paid miles?

Thanks

Posted:  1 year, 5 months ago

Moving to JB Hunt

I have made one run with a mentor/coach. Will make a second with mentor/coach next week.

So far so good!

Transitioning back to a manual is hard but coming along. Mr CRST truck was much nicer but also set up for team work. I think this set up will be fine as a solo.

Posted:  1 year, 5 months ago

CRST Questions

I too went through CWW in Keensburgh, CO.

I put an invertor in my team truck. We had an elec skillet, toaster oven, Keurig coffee maker. My goal was to never eat in the truck stop. Stop at Wal Mart ever 3 days or so.

CRST was a great place for me to start! I have since moved to a regional job with a dedicated route and home time. I used CRST as an apprenticeship and took every opportunity to learn. You can stand on your head for a year and see what opportunities await you. You may love CRST and stay. My CRST truck was nicer then my current truck.

good luck

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

Moving to JB Hunt

Thanks for your encouragement!

They're still a great choice to drive for. good-luck.gif

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

Hey Powerball Winner. What will you do with that money?

What if I get 10 tickets?

I heard a math professor talk about the odds of winning on the radio today. He said personally, the chances of winning if he bought a ticket are almost the same as his winning chances if he doesn't buy a ticket!

rofl-3.gif

Gotta say, I'm loving those odds.

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

Another Topic Just For Fun - What was your last load? How much did it weigh? How many miles?

Chicago to LA 8200 lbs to Wayfair so household stuff.

Now LA to Dallas 25k lb Fedex Ground FAK

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

Four Traps That New Truck Drivers Fall Into - New Article by Old School

Another treasure of sage advice from Old School.

You write quite well for an illiterate truck driver 😁

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

Moving to JB Hunt

I am moving to JB Hunt from CRST. Like Hiram's article from 3 years ago.

CRST was a great place for me to start.

The Hunt gig is based in my home town and keeps me on the west side of the country. Out 5 days and home 2.

Any updates on JB Hunt from 3 years ago?

Thanks

Posted:  1 year, 7 months ago

Enjoying Yourself as an Over The Road Driver

I think a microwave is tougher on an invertor due to the intense power requirements at start up. I also think you can not use a modified sine wave inverter with microwave.

I have a 2k watt invertor. Elec Skillet, Toaster Oven, Kcup Coffee and elec tea kettle all work withen the specs. .... I quickly got tired of truck stop food. I brought a lunch box cooker and will probably get a microwave in the future. I would like to use my electric skillet or find one that wont blow my inverter. Ive brought books and a guitar for my free time. And i like to venture when i can.

Posted:  1 year, 7 months ago

Walking for exercise

I am 10 months in and walk almost every day for 30 minutes. Sometimes laps in the rest area or truck stop. Sometimes down country roads.

Also on the health subject, cook in your truck. Truck stop/fast food is bad for you. I have the ceramic coated elec skillet from walmart. 19.99 and clean up is easy. Drink water not soda. I like the flavored seltzer waters.

New Article Now On TruckingTruth: Truckers And Guns

Thank you for that article from an actual attorney.

What conditions would lead to the discreet carrier actually being found out?

If a life and death situation arose your company's policy would be the least of your concerns.

Maintaining a healthy lifestyle

Susan do you use the liner in pressure cooker mode? I had that idea too but was scared by warnings in the manual. t.y.

I prepare most of my meals in my truck. I have a dometic brand personal freezer. It can be set to either fridge or freezer mode. On weeks when I want more salads and fresh fruits and veggies I put it on fridge mode. When I want to cook, I stock it with fish filets, shrimp, chicken breasts, tiny roasts and mini meatloaves, frozen veggies like broccoli, brussel sprouts, and so forth.

I keep a portable grill in my sidebox and have an aroma cooker which can steam, be used as a crock pot or a pressure cooker. I make all kinds of great meals in it. I use the Reynolds brand crock pot liners in it so clean up is super easy.

I keep the pre-grated tubes of fresh ginger, garlic that you find in Walmart at the produce section, as well as a variety of cheese, dried spices, olive oil, canned broth, dried rice and pasta, soy sauce, honey, peanut butter, a few small cans of crushed tomatoes and other veggies.

Maintaining a healthy lifestyle

I am in my 2nd month of team driving I saw the instant pot discussions. Got the Faberware one at wally world for 60.00. Best purchase ever. It is 1000 watts. Also got elec tea kettle and pour over coffee mug. It is 1500 watts. Got a 2000 watt inverter to be on safe side. You can control your diet!

Wally World has several choices of individual salads, just use half tbe dressing. We get 2-3 days of groceries at a time. Gallons of water as well as bottled.

I walk walk walk. At the shipper, consignee, truck stop, rest area et al. Also got a jump rope. If you see an old guy jumping rope say hi.